JetNation.com Surpasses 4 Million Posts

Maxman

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

will you disclose, or just speculate, on the amount of money that you think sooth made? or what you THINK your offer would have been?

This is just PURE curiosity. I have no idea what these sites are worth. Id love to be edumacated

I really have no idea. At one point on ji he posted that it was enough money to put all three of his kids through college. I don't remember the exact post but it was something along those lines.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

That shirt is UGLY I agree!!!!!!  I put in a Google search Jet Nation t shirt and this is what came up someone is selling those. 

I wouldn't buy one or take one for free. 

Oh I thought you designed that haha.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Just wanted to check with you to find out if it’s okay to post about Darnold getting mono.  

wheres Gruden to tell yall I am the most misunderstood poster here at jetNation?

I follow sports, I follow the Jets closely, I just prefer that Jet Content was more segregated...  shrug

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2019 at 12:57 AM, Maxman said:

In April of 2014 Scout emailed me and explained what they had going on with their new company (buying Scout back) and said they were interested in buying or partnering with JetNation. I agreed to meet with them in NYC. During that meeting they told me that we (JetNation) were the Jets site they wanted. They were willing to buy us or partner with us. They said they had JetNation.com as the site that received the most page views each month. Their calculations were correct.

I met with them and they wanted me to sign a non-disclosure form and then they would make an offer. The meeting was terrible because it was so clear that they had no idea how to grow a site in the NY market. It was all based on subscription sales and the Minnesota Vikings site was the success story.

I told them in that meeting that:

1) scrapping the message board and starting over was a bad idea 

2) not having a full time staff of message board developers was a bad idea and

3) I don't see how selling subscriptions in NY would ever work.

They told me I was wrong and said we would make money together other ways as well (Buffalo Wild Wings events, seriously they said that). As I met with them I thought to myself there is no way I could work with these people or hand them any control of the site. The head of marketing was from the UK and he knew nothing about the NFL. It was bad. 

A bigger thing going through my head was how my wife was under going chemo for breast cancer and there was no way I could walk away from this site. There was such a show of support from people here, I realized I had so many friends here. I couldn't screw everyone over and any deal with Scout would be screwing everyone over. I remember getting home that night and dancing around that part of the question. My wife would have been like what you didn't even listen to a 6 figure offer? That's what happened though, I wasn't going to let them destroy 

I decided about 30 seconds into the meeting that I didn't even want to hear their offer. So I never signed the NDA.  Bob Pittman and the Pilot Group had money but they didn't have a clue how to run these sites.

This is a copy \ paste from one of the email exchanges I had with them after the meeting.

MeI have concerns about starting the message board over and when I looked at the current Jets site, they don’t seem to have any following at all. 

Them:  We've never really had a consistent publisher there, Phil.  You would be inheriting very little in that regard.  We have a pretty solid email list of Jets fans though. We would email them and give them a bang up deal to come back..

When I turned them down I sent this:

Me:  Thanks for the time and the interest in JetNation, but we are going to stay independent. I think what you guys are building is very exciting, but if just isn’t right for us for a few reasons.

If you need recommendations or introductions to any other sites, just let me know.

Thanks again and good luck moving forward.

Them:  Okay, Phil.  Thanks so much. Let's stay in touch. There may be other opportunities as we grow.  And thanks for the offer to help with others. I certainly will take you up on that.

In closing, I did recommend one Jets site to them. They did end up acquiring that site. I am not privy to the terms of that deal, what I do know is they effectively put that site out of business. I am not sure if they were already talking to them or if they took my recommendation. Pretty cool to think that they might have called them on my recommendation though.  :)

Wow. Thank you for sharing that.

Integrity, Dignity and Honesty/Honor--- some men have them. Some men don't. Peace.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, Maxman said:

I think it would be possible. I was thinking of asking our server guy if he could figure it out. Not sure I want to know though. What if it is a post by Tom Shane about a Friday night in a bar? We don't need to make his escapades any more famous than they already are.  :)

Do you think we'll hit 5M this season?  If so, any chance you can ask your server guy to post that one?  And it it's easy enough, the 1M, 2M, 3M and 4M as well?  Would be funny to see them all.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Do you think we'll hit 5M this season?  If so, any chance you can ask your server guy to post that one?  And it it's easy enough, the 1M, 2M, 3M and 4M as well?  Would be funny to see them all.

Definitely going to be hard to hit 5 million this year. A really good year would be 400,000 posts.

I like your idea though about going back and looking up the other ones let me talk to him about that, good call.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Definitely going to be hard to hit 5 million this year. A really good year would be 400,000 posts.

I like your idea though about going back and looking up the other ones let me talk to him about that, good call.

That would be awesome!  Hopefully it can be done.  Would be a fun way to celebrate the 5 millionth post.  I'm surprised a really good year is 400K posts.  I remember you said something about the heaviest day of posting was during the offseason (maybe when Cousins signed with the Vikes?)

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That would be awesome!  Hopefully it can be done.  Would be a fun way to celebrate the 5 millionth post.  I'm surprised a really good year is 400K posts.  I remember you said something about the heaviest day of posting was during the offseason (maybe when Cousins signed with the Vikes?)

I'd have to look but two of the top 5 posting days all time we're this year. One was the first day of free agency I think or something around there and then the other one was Sunday of week 1 against the bills. We had over 4,600 posts on Sunday. Another 250 deleted post which don't count towards the total because we had some bills racist spammers.

If we could do 4,000 post the day we'd be hitting five million in no time LOL.