The Gase Riddle; He Doesn't Coach as He Talks

JetsLife

Gase is a slick talker. He says all the right things publicly. And he can be funny and engaging.

But he doesn't coach his offense like he talks. He talks about wanting aggressive, relentless, tireless players - I've seen none of this from his offense 2 weeks in to what will be has last opportunity as a NFL HC. He's OC'ing like some spawn of former Jets OCs Paul Hackett and Brian Schottenheimer when they were with the Jets. Those two coached in a particular and maddening way: they saw the field in only 10-yard increments, and there was rarely consistent ryhthm or flow keeping opposing defenses off balance. It was the very definition of plodding, 3 & out, crap OC'ing.

That's what I've seen from Gase so far.

And so that is the Gase riddle: how does this guy keep getting touted, get another HC job, when he keeps failing miserably? I think it's the Manning/other recommendations cologne he somehow still gives off, and that he's convincing talker, he talks the game, says all the right things. No doubt that's what he did in his Jets HC interview process.

But when you combine that with zero positive results you have what I fear he is: a charlatan. 

I'm hoping like Schotty 2.0 with Seattle he improves next year - if there is a next year for him. For Darnold will return, and if the Jets offense is still beyond putrid in the latter half and 1/3 of the season - I could see Chris Johnson axing him. It'd be an enormous admission of a mistake on his part, but that alone could be part of why he'd do it.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Gase is a slick talker. He says all the right things publicly. And he can be funny and engaging.

But he doesn't coach his offense like he talks. He talks about wanting aggressive, relentless, tireless players - I've seen none of this from his offense 2 weeks in to what will be has last opportunity as a NFL HC. He's OC'ing like some spawn of former Jets OCs Paul Hackett and Brian Schottenheimer when they were with the Jets. Those two coached in a particular and maddening way: they saw the field in only 10-yard increments, and there was rarely consistent ryhthm or flow keeping opposing defenses off balance. It was the very definition of plodding, 3 & out, crap OC'ing.

That's what I've seen from Gase so far.

And so that is the Gase riddle: how does this guy keep getting touted, get another HC job, when he keeps failing miserably? I think it's the Manning/other recommendations cologne he somehow still gives off, and that he's convincing talker, he talks the game, says all the right things. No doubt that's what he did in his Jets HC interview process.

But when you combine that with zero positive results you have what I fear he is: a charlatan. 

I'm hoping like Schotty 2.0 with Seattle he improves next year - if there is a next year for him. For Darnold will return, and if the Jets offense is still beyond putrid in the latter half and 1/3 of the season - I could see Chris Johnson axing him. It'd be an enormous admission of a mistake on his part, but that alone could be part of why he'd do it.

I agree but disagree as well... 

Gase was not aggressive in his first game... or at least the first half... I think he was leading up to take some chances... Bills Defense is real good so you can't just go out there throwing every play unless you want turnovers... The Jets had a few shots... RA missed a couple and Darnold missed a couple.. They have to hit on those... it would have changed everything... Defense would loosen up protecting the long ball and everything would seem ok..

This is a major issue with Gase... he is a rhythm guy... he needs to get into his rhythm ... He wasn't there because he QB was under the weather... Let's see how it goes as time goes on but I have a feeling this has more to do with the QBs than the play calling... I am frustrated too... but looking back at the first game... if he hits any one of those shots to RA, it changes everything... 

The second game, I think he was literally outthinking himself until he had to dumb down the play book to Falk... Falk knows the whole playbook but he can't throw outside the numbers so he is going to get the WRs killed on Sunday...

I was disappointed but I have a feeling that it will get better because in the end it is not looking good.

good grief.  so now it's the way he calls plays as opposed to not having the guys needed to get the job done.  so far i haven't seen anything to suggest that gase isn't trying to get get the oline to play better.  sure he could've been moving the qb around or calling more screens but maybe he has a much better assessment of their capability than the fans do.

No creativity at all. No Roll outs, or wild cat. Simple, throw a bubble screen, a short pass to the RB, or passes short of the first down marker and have skinny toothpick WR's try to pick up the extra 3 to 4 yards with defenders draped all over them. Seen his offense in Miami. I don't get a good vibe about Gase. The OL sucks, but he and McCoffee had a whole offseason to make a trade or to sign a free agent O-linemen.

He started out the season with a guy playing with Mono in which we had 3 near completions with Robbie where just 1 wins the game & the kicker missed a FG & we lost by 1. He doesn't have his #1 TE & his line hasn't been able to PLAY TOGETHER. 

He lost his backup (who is worse than the #3 to injury) and has to wing it in game two with his LT getting pushed around like a blocking sled. Bellamy dropped a ball RIGHT IN HIS HANDS that led to a FG B4 the half & he went for 4th & 2. He's not dropping balls, he's not fumbling, he's not Beachum getting tossed around like a Rag Doll. 

The plays were there, the players didn't execute. Most NFL games come down to 1 or 2 plays. Make them & you win, miss them & you get put through the grinder all week, that's NFL football & the media that follows it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He started out the season with a guy playing with Mono in which we had 3 near completions with Robbie where just 1 wins the game & the kicker missed a FG & we lost by 1. He doesn't have his #1 TE & his line hasn't been able to PLAY TOGETHER. 

He lost his backup (who is worse than the #3 to injury) and has to wing it in game two with his LT getting pushed around like a blocking sled. Bellamy dropped a ball RIGHT IN HIS HANDS that led to a FG B4 the half & he went for 4th & 2. He's not dropping balls, he's not fumbling, he's not Beachum getting tossed around like a Rag Doll. 

The plays were there, the players didn't execute. Most NFL games come down to 1 or 2 plays. Make them & you win, miss them & you get put through the grinder all week, that's NFL football & the media that follows it.

STOP IT WITH YOUR LOGIC AND REASON!!

You are changing the narrative. 

Everything the Jets do sucks dating back 2 owners and 5 front offices. 

Just let them have their maxi pad.