Gerrit Cole - Offseason Thread

Barton

How can we take the Yankees seriously anymore if they dont step up and sign this guy? It's inexcusable. 

Are the Yankees really gonna say we cant give him 35 million a year while they pay Ellsbury and Stanton over 40 million?

Does Cashman once again lack the foresight and intelligence to know you need elite starting pitching AND a deep rotation to increase your chances of winning the World Series? 

How many more decades are we gonna give Cashman a pass for not acquiring aces, either via trade or free agency?

• Upvote 3

On 11/7/2019 at 6:46 AM, Barton said:

How can we take the Yankees seriously anymore if they dont step up and sign this guy? It's inexcusable. 

Are the Yankees really gonna say we cant give him 35 million a year while they pay Ellsbury and Stanton over 40 million?

Does Cashman once again lack the foresight and intelligence to know you need elite starting pitching AND a deep rotation to increase your chances of winning the World Series? 

How many more decades are we gonna give Cashman a pass for not acquiring aces, either via trade or free agency?

Being a Mets fan, I would take Cashman in a heartbeat! Be thankful for what you have. He drafts well... probably top 5 in the league.

• Upvote 2

There is talk that it will require 8 years. I think the Yankees are going to shake things up more than people expect.

These injuries from last year have to be looked at. It can't happen again.

On topic though, a rotation of:

1. Cole

2. Severino

3. Tanaka

4. Paxton

5. Happ \ Mongomery

Wow. And the Yankees have young prospects. Frazier, Devi.

Yankees will likely re-sign Gardner, 1 of the worst batters w/RISP I have ever seen, 1 of the worst postseason hitters in Yankee history, for likely another 7-10million.

They are going to be allocating 50 million in payroll to Stanton, who they never needed, Ellsbury, who they never needed, and now Gardner. Dont even get me started on Aaron Hicks.

This kind of payroll allocation is a big reason why the Yankees havent won anything in the past 10 years.

Outfielders are a dime a dozen. Not to mention we have Frazier and Tauchman on the roster ready to go.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2019 at 6:54 AM, Barton said:

Yankees will likely re-sign Gardner, 1 of the worst batters w/RISP I have ever seen, 1 of the worst postseason hitters in Yankee history, for likely another 7-10million.

They are going to be allocating 50 million in payroll to Stanton, who they never needed, Ellsbury, who they never needed, and now Gardner. Dont even get me started on Aaron Hicks.

This kind of payroll allocation is a big reason why the Yankees havent won anything in the past 10 years.

Outfielders are a dime a dozen. Not to mention we have Frazier and Tauchman on the roster ready to go.

I would agree, but Hicks is already out for what looks like almost the entirety of next year

We don’t know what Tauchman is yet.  Ellsbury is done I don’t know why he doesn’t just retire and Frazier is a corner outfielder who is not getting along with the FO.  So we need a CF 

If the yanks bring back Gardner on a one year $5 mil deal that’s fine

On 11/8/2019 at 11:23 PM, Maxman said:

There is talk that it will require 8 years. I think the Yankees are going to shake things up more than people expect.

These injuries from last year have to be looked at. It can't happen again.

On topic though, a rotation of:

1. Cole

2. Severino

3. Tanaka

4. Paxton

5. Happ \ Mongomery

Wow. And the Yankees have young prospects. Frazier, Devi.

Is Domingo German in the Yanks plan?

Live arm but domestic violence accusations. 

14 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Is Domingo German in the Yanks plan?

Live arm but domestic violence accusations. 

He definitely is, I should have had him in there. But he could end up being trade bait or being in the pen. His suspension this year won't be that long they said since he already served through the suspension. Guy is an idiot though.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:54 PM, Philc1 said:

If the yanks bring back Gardner on a one year $5 mil deal that’s fine

He's getting more than 5.   He got more than 5 last year, and just had a nice year, and he just played 140 games, with over 60 extra base hits, 28 HR, while 250.

Also, without Didi and Hicks, who else hits left handed in that lineup?

19 hours ago, chirorob said:

He's getting more than 5.   He got more than 5 last year, and just had a nice year, and he just played 140 games, with over 60 extra base hits, 28 HR, while 250.

Also, without Didi and Hicks, who else hits left handed in that lineup?

They are absolutely bringing back Gardner not only is Hicks out next year he’s a great clubhouse guy and the management loves him.  Maybe not 5 but 6 or 7 for one year gets it done

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

They are absolutely bringing back Gardner not only is Hicks out next year he’s a great clubhouse guy and the management loves him.  Maybe not 5 but 6 or 7 for one year gets it done

I agree, he is coming back.   I also don't think he wants to play somewhere else either, after being in NY for 13 years or whatever.

I think he got 8 last year, I'd think he gets around there or a little more this year, considering Hicks is getting 11 a year.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2019 at 9:27 AM, chirorob said:

I agree, he is coming back.   I also don't think he wants to play somewhere else either, after being in NY for 13 years or whatever.

I think he got 8 last year, I'd think he gets around there or a little more this year, considering Hicks is getting 11 a year.

I know Hicks is good but how did he get $11 mil per year

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

For a type of player that’s not hard to get

CFs who can lead off are a dime a dozen

Agree.  Also, it leads to a lack of flexibility.  Judge is hopefully not going anywhere, stanton can't go anywhere, and hicks is on the books for 6 more years.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:00 AM, chirorob said:

Agree.  Also, it leads to a lack of flexibility.  Judge is hopefully not going anywhere, stanton can't go anywhere, and hicks is on the books for 6 more years.

The Stanton and Hicks contracts are killers

I’m going to get lit up for saying this we might eventually have to trade Judge for prospects the same way the Sux are shopping Betts

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Stanton and Hicks contracts are killers

I’m going to get lit up for saying this we might eventually have to trade Judge for prospects the same way the Sux are shopping Betts

If Judge goes FA at age 31, I don't re sign him.   Giving a big guy a huge contract post age 30 (with his injury history) is a recipe for disaster.

I hope they give him an extension now, and take care of him, kind of a win/win.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

If Judge goes FA at age 31, I don't re sign him.   Giving a big guy a huge contract post age 30 (with his injury history) is a recipe for disaster.

I hope they give him an extension now, and take care of him, kind of a win/win.

I love Judge and he’s like another Jeter a great guy who is also a great player but yeah it’s a tough situation

On 11/21/2019 at 10:38 AM, section314 said:

Aaron Judge is class. He should play and retire a Yankee.This from a Mets fan, but an oldtime baseball fan even more importantly.

I hope he does.

But, do you give a 31 year old slugger an 8 year premium contract if that's what it comes to?

• 2 weeks later...

Get it done. Cole is a must sign.

With that said, the reason the Yankees didn't beat the Astros wasn't because of tbe starting pitching. The offense like it has frequently done in the postseason went silent. I don't know how to fix that other than signing more guys who hit to contact like D.J.L.

We also need left handed bats, especially if we're letting Didi walk. Suspect they'll bring back Gardner, with Hicks missing most if not all of next season.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Get it done. Cole is a must sign.

With that said, the reason the Yankees didn't beat the Astros wasn't because of tbe starting pitching. The offense like it has frequently done in the postseason went silent. I don't know how to fix that other than signing more guys who hit to contact like D.J.L.

We also need left handed bats, especially if we're letting Didi walk. Suspect they'll bring back Gardner, with Hicks missing most if not all of next season.

3DBAC49D-59BC-4821-A6C9-97C302C1B5D0.jpeg.fd96dd3e95e5353c27ad421a8a33ae31.jpeg

4 hours ago, Morrissey said:

I'd like to bring back Betances, even at the 1 year deal he's looking for. He's going to be extra motivated to perform well and get a large pay day a year from now.

Unfortunately I think to do that he's better going somewhere he can be the closer...

I’m hearing Phillies for Betances to reunite with Girardi

Agree I would love to have him back on a one year $12 million deal our bullpen might be the greatest ever