What's Cookin'/Brewin', COVID-19 Edition

On 4/8/2020 at 11:18 AM, The Crimson King said:

we are counting (insert sad face). Trying to limit to 1200 calories. Doesn't leave much room for wine and martinis (insert really sad face)

at least we're not tempted by going out to eat, THAT'S a killer for the waistline 

1200???  That's insane my man.  I am 6 foot, 185 and sleeping I burn 1,800 calories.  I have a diet clinic as a client that ran me through a battery of tests.    1200 is barely surviving. You tryong to lose weight?  I try to consume 2400 to 2800 a day as I burn at least that daily. Friday and Saturday I burned more than 5K calories each day. Walk the golf course, work out for an hour....     

Recipe?  I made a stove top version of Rice Pudding using 2 percent milk, cut the sugar in half and added some sweet and low. Fantastic!

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

1200???  That's insane my man.  I am 6 foot, 185 and sleeping I burn 1,800 calories.  I have a diet clinic as a client that ran me through a battery of tests.    1200 is barely surviving. You tryong to lose weight?  I try to consume 2400 to 2800 a day as I burn at least that daily. Friday and Saturday I burned more than 5K calories each day. Walk the golf course, work out for an hour....     

Recipe?  I made a stove top version of Rice Pudding using 2 percent milk, cut the sugar in half and added some sweet and low. Fantastic!

Wow, that's an insane amount of calorie burning.   I have always been on the thin side, especially in my younger days as an athlete.  Right now, I'm 6'/165lbs.  Unless I go off on an extended ice cream binge (I could eat ice cream every day), I can eat pretty much anything without gaining too much weight.

Nice idea using 2% milk.   Did you use arborio , jasmine or some other kind of rice?  But you lost me on the Sweet & Low.  All chemicals.  I'd rather see you add a small amount of good maple syrup or agave for sweetness.  I'm just not a fan of any of the new sweeteners which all taste fake to me.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Just made some Easter cocktails. Tito's, fresh lemon, a little simple syrup topped off with club soda in a Collins glass. Actually pretty tasty.

That's sounds delicious and refreshing.  Gonna give it a whirl, too.  Thanks.

Have this Cava (nice and Brut) for a little later.  Fantastic buy for your money.  I paid around $10 at my Bottle King.  You will swear it's a more expensive bottle of sparkling wine.  For a bit of Easter color, might add a splash of Aperol.

large-Dibon%20Cava%20Brut%20NV.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

We (my wife) went through on the Peloton about a year ago. Thank god she did lol considering things right now. In terms of a guy that can put on 10lbs looking at pizza...it's certainly been helpful and well worth it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Well it's either lose weight or get taller. Too much of the good life (our long time MO).  

It was getting pretty bad. I would take a trip to the west coast and it would effect the tides. The post office gave me my own zip code, it is EIEIO.

The Doc gave me stern talking to last after my last physical (my physician, not Gooden). Besides, lighter makes it easier to play those fast riffs 

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Wow, that's an insane amount of calorie burning.   I have always been on the thin side, especially in my younger days as an athlete.  Right now, I'm 6'/165lbs.  Unless I go off on an extended ice cream binge (I could eat ice cream every day), I can eat pretty much anything without gaining too much weight.

Nice idea using 2% milk.   Did you use arborio , jasmine or some other kind of rice?  But you lost me on the Sweet & Low.  All chemicals.  I'd rather see you add a small amount of good maple syrup or agave for sweetness.  I'm just not a fan of any of the new sweeteners which all taste fake to me.

(insert jealous icon)

45 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Well it's either lose weight or get taller. Too much of the good life (our long time MO).  

It was getting pretty bad. I would take a trip to the west coast and it would effect the tides. The post office gave me my own zip code, it is EIEIO.

The Doc gave me stern talking to last after my last physical (my physician, not Gooden). Besides, lighter makes it easier to play those fast riffs 

and no one likes a fat musician. :)  To get the groupies, you gotta slim down. :)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Banana pudding assembled and in fridge.  Will finally find out what all the furor is about.  

Instead of Cool Whip and Jello instant pudding as most do, made a pudding this morning with egg yolks, whole milk, sugar, and potato starch.  Once cool, whipped up some rum-infused heavy cream, then blended them well before assembling with Nilla wafers and banana.  Not happy with my hand crushed Nilla Wafer crumbs for the top.  Next time, will bash or process them to a smaller texture.

IMG_0602.thumb.jpg.bf3077e917c9f5aea1b8fb3a575a63c2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 4:29 PM, munchmemory said:

Banana pudding assembled and in fridge.  Will finally find out what all the furor is about.  

Instead of Cool Whip and Jello instant pudding as most do, made a pudding this morning with egg yolks, whole milk, sugar, and potato starch.  Once cool, whipped up some rum-infused heavy cream, then blended them well before assembling with Nilla wafers and banana.  Not happy with my hand crushed Nilla Wafer crumbs for the top.  Next time, will bash or process them to a smaller texture.

IMG_0602.thumb.jpg.bf3077e917c9f5aea1b8fb3a575a63c2.jpg

Banana pudding is the KING of desserts here in the south.  LOVE IT!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

That's what I hear.  I had heard of it from folks where my wife works, but never tasted it myself.  For almost every special occasion, they go get some at Magnolia Bakery in NYC which is known for it.   I would tweak mine a bit, but gotta say it was delicious.

So, researching it, some folks say that it should have a layer of meringue on top instead of whipped cream.  What's your take on it?

While we're talking about food:  I made a focaccia yesterday which might be my best ever.  F-heads are buying out all the yeast in stores and I only have a few packets left.  I experimented with using only 1/2 teaspoon of yeast for my biga which I let ferment longer than usual. Dough was a creamy dream and rose beautifully.  Finished focaccia was airy and tender.

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

That's what I hear.  I had heard of it from folks where my wife works, but never tasted it myself.  For almost every special occasion, they go get some at Magnolia Bakery in NYC which is known for it.   I would tweak mine a bit, but gotta say it was delicious.

So, researching it, some folks say that it should have a layer of meringue on top instead of whipped cream.  What's your take on it?

the majority is a simple vanilla pudding, cubed bananas and Wafers and it’s fairly straight forward.  BUt as you pointed out, a few places make it great. the chef at our golf club uses home made pudding, and it’s fantastic. a few times a year he makes it for take out. VERY EXPENSIVE.. about $10 a pound , about the size of a softball.   I have an upscale small private grocer that makes it in pound containers for about $10.    Less expensive and it’s factory made.  Yours looked awesome. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

While we're talking about food:  I made a focaccia yesterday which might be my best ever.  F-heads are buying out all the yeast in stores and I only have a few packets left.  I experimented with using only 1/2 teaspoon of yeast for my biga which I let ferment longer than usual. Dough was a creamy dream and rose beautifully.  Finished focaccia was airy and tender.

F head....  LMAO!!!!!  people here don’t talk like that. once in a while I’ll say to a friend, Hey F head, come here for a second and they stare at me. 

I have to tell them it’s a term of endearment in NYC. 

• Haha 1

Just now, southparkcpa said:

the majority is a simple vanilla pudding, cubed bananas and Wafers and it’s fairly straight forward.  BUt as you pointed out, a few places make it great. the chef at our golf club uses home made pudding, and it’s fantastic. a few times a year he makes it for take out. VERY EXPENSIVE.. about $10 a pound , about the size of a softball.   I have an upscale small private grocer that makes it in pound containers for about $10.    Less expensive and it’s factory made.  Yours looked awesome. 

Yeah, I'm a purist.  So made my own vanilla pudding, too.  (It's a snap and most folks have what you need.)  I added a bit of rum which gave it a nice flavor profile.  I did use the Nilla wafers, however.  I'm not that crazy.

Key for me:  Instead of layering vanilla pudding and whipped cream, I whipped the cream to soft peaks, added the vanilla pudding, then whipped them together until it achieved a light, mousse-like consistency.  My stand mixer made this a lot easier than hand whipping.  I could have just eaten that mousse.  It was insanely good.

• Post of the Week 1

Just finished dinner.  So, the focaccia has been completely consumed.  (Damn it, I want more.)  Also had some rubbed, roasted pork tenderloin and avocado & tomato salad.

Made kind of an impromptu dessert yesterday with a bunch of egg whites I had in the fridge from other dishes.  Wish I had written down the exact proportions.  

But pretty much whipped egg whites with sugar until light and foamy.  Beat in some avocado oil and rum.  Then added sifted flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt just until combined.   Put the mixture into the freezer for about 40 minutes.  Then placed approx. 1/4 cup of mixture in lined muffin pan and baked until set.  Had no idea if it would work, but the result was awesome.  Cross between a cake and brownie.  Made 24 and just ate two along with the two I ate yesterday.  

On 5/18/2020 at 4:29 PM, southparkcpa said:

That looks brilliant, my wife is Southern and made this for me the other night it was fantastic! 

I am glad that I found this thread, I consider myself a decent cook, I can make a decent meal with minimum ingredients as long as you have the correct staples! Next time I make something good I will share it on here for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Tezza said:

That looks brilliant, my wife is Southern and made this for me the other night it was fantastic! 

I am glad that I found this thread, I consider myself a decent cook, I can make a decent meal with minimum ingredients as long as you have the correct staples! Next time I make something good I will share it on here for sure.

Look forward to you taking part in the thread.  I've cooked most of my life.  So am happy to share any tips/advice.  

Welcome to JN, btw.  

53 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Look forward to you taking part in the thread.  I've cooked most of my life.  So am happy to share any tips/advice.  

Welcome to JN, btw.  

Brilliant! Thanks for the welcome, I mistakenly made an intro post in the main Jets board that you can check out for a bit more about me as well as the intro thread for my wee story...this forum is brilliant! ?

I looked at the oatmeal/choco/banana cookies you posted previously what is funny is I made ..or attempted to make these a few weeks ago. I knew where I went wrong, when adding the bananas I microwaved them to get them more ripe and the heat of the bananas melted some of the chocolate chips which resulted in a sticky mess. I added some more oatmeal to it to thicken them up and roll them into little ball shapes, I baked them and they were not bad though only downside was by adding more dry oatmeal to them they had a bit of a dry texture in some parts. 

• Sympathy 1

On 4/7/2020 at 7:03 PM, munchmemory said:

IMG_2879.thumb.jpeg.081cc14ae227ed1012dd1b88d99d0f52.jpeg

Just pulled the Sicilian out of the oven.  

Been making a lot of pizza at home. Brooklyn style Sicilian is a go-to favorite here. We do it all, since I threw pizza all thru my youth.539F33F9-8B93-411D-B2CD-939A5ED633B5.jpeg.645199223fe6a35443c420f92ce5d6af.jpeg

Also made sourdough starter and may never go back to store-bought bread.

3098F8BD-0D71-4F74-BFA7-2E634CACAD00.jpeg

370F83ED-982B-4F3F-B339-ECB94A0203E0.jpeg

• Sympathy 3

28 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Brilliant! Thanks for the welcome, I mistakenly made an intro post in the main Jets board that you can check out for a bit more about me as well as the intro thread for my wee story...this forum is brilliant! ?

I looked at the oatmeal/choco/banana cookies you posted previously what is funny is I made ..or attempted to make these a few weeks ago. I knew where I went wrong, when adding the bananas I microwaved them to get them more ripe and the heat of the bananas melted some of the chocolate chips which resulted in a sticky mess. I added some more oatmeal to it to thicken them up and roll them into little ball shapes, I baked them and they were not bad though only downside was by adding more dry oatmeal to them they had a bit of a dry texture in some parts. 

Key for me is using your hands to mash the bananas to a very liquid state.  No need to add heat.  Although you must to have very ripe bananas, the darker the better.   If I ever get the urge to make banana bread or these cookies--and don't have ripe bananas--my local supermarkets usually sell over-ripe ones at a huge discount.  

And I only use uncooked oats, not oatmeal.  The key is finding the balance point of where the mixture just holds together without adding too much uncooked oats.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Been making a lot of pizza at home. Brooklyn style Sicilian is a go-to favorite here. We do it all, since I threw pizza all thru my youth.539F33F9-8B93-411D-B2CD-939A5ED633B5.jpeg.645199223fe6a35443c420f92ce5d6af.jpeg

3098F8BD-0D71-4F74-BFA7-2E634CACAD00.jpeg

370F83ED-982B-4F3F-B339-ECB94A0203E0.jpeg

Damn, very nice work.  Love your sourdough.  Gorgeous shape and color.  I have made my own starter years ago.  Might need to get back to it as yeast is getting difficult to find.

3098F8BD-0D71-4F74-BFA7-2E634CACAD00.jpeg.a3a2cdab473085aa1687983a039197d8.jpeg
370F83ED-982B-4F3F-B339-ECB94A0203E0.jpeg.2ec347d017db68300e629c8619dfa778.jpeg
That looks brilliant, what is the last style is that a garlic Alfredo?

1 hour ago, Tezza said:
7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:
3098F8BD-0D71-4F74-BFA7-2E634CACAD00.jpeg.a3a2cdab473085aa1687983a039197d8.jpeg
370F83ED-982B-4F3F-B339-ECB94A0203E0.jpeg.2ec347d017db68300e629c8619dfa778.jpeg

That looks brilliant, what is the last style is that a garlic Alfredo?

Thank you.

The bread is a no knead sourdough loaf.

There is a Neapolitan pizza, and a Ricotta, Romano, Parmesan, and provolone finished with a drizzle of garlic infused olive oil.