Dak Prescott, Cowboys unlikely to reach long-term deal by deadline

On 7/13/2020 at 4:26 PM, Mogglez said:

I'll be the first to ask it.

If Sam flops this year and Dak tests the market....but we don't suck enough to get one of Lawrence, Fields, or Lance....would you give Prescott the Kirk Cousins deal??

No team is ever winning it all with Prescott as their QB.  Doubtful Dallas is even able to make a deep playoff run with him and their stacked team.  Pass.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2020 at 12:52 PM, johnnysd said:

Shocker. To be quite honest, I think that Dak is such a product of his surrounding cast that if I were the Cowboys I would have seriously considered trading him and then selecting a new QB in the draft. We already have seen a version of that with Rosen and we will see it again, especially if Covid causes a flattening or recession in the cap over the new couple years.

You're right, Prescott doesn't possess any special skills, they should have cut bait and went after a vet like Bridgewater, a guy who can actually play the game well, Romo was the same type of player, how long  will the Cowington's go before they get a real QB ?  They're going on a wing and prayer if they sign Prescott.

Dak is a really tough guy to analyze because he really has been good statistically but given the offensive surroundings its easy to assume he is a product of his environment, which will be unsustainable to maintain if they allocate this much money to them. 

Obviously QBs are the most important position but to me if you're going to be allocating 15+% of your cap to one guy they need to be a top 10-12 QB. Is Dak that if he goes to a regular team? I'm not sure. However, I am positive the contracts for guys like Teddy B, Foles, Tannehill (maybe) will be looked back as mistakes. I wonder if the future of the NFL is 10-15 teams pay a ton for their QB, and the rest of the group is constantly recycling rookie Qbs on rookie deals. 

As it pertains to the Jets - if over the next two years Sam has only modest improvement, I'd be more inclined to draft a QB next year or the year after that than give him 35+mm/yr because he is a QB and its his time to get a payday. I think Sam is too talented to not improve more than modestly, but the idea of committing a large portion of your cap space to a QB that is mediocre seems like a recipe for disaster to me. 

On 7/14/2020 at 12:35 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

In short....please, please ball out this year, Darnold.   

for all my moaning about the owners, the coaching and the color of the sky

there's never been anything wrong with this team Sam Darnold couldn't fix

all he has to be is a super hero 

only problem he isn't that dude and it's pretty clear to everyone except Jets fans he's not going to be that guy 

he might be Rich Gannon or something a guy who learns how to play and gets good 10 years from now 

We don't have the patience for the amount of fundamentals Sam Darnold has to learn and the Johnson's shouldn't-slash-won't give a 100 million dollars to a dude who can't seem to set his feet before he throws. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

for all my moaning about the owners, the coaching and the color of the sky

there's never been anything wrong with this team Sam Darnold couldn't fix

all he has to be is a super hero 

only problem he isn't that dude and it's pretty clear to everyone except Jets fans he's not going to be that guy 

he might be Rich Gannon or something a guy who learns how to play and gets good 10 years from now 

We don't have the patience for the amount of fundamentals Sam Darnold has to learn and the Johnson's shouldn't-slash-won't give a 100 million dollars to a dude who can't seem to set his feet before he throws. 

considering the cast of complete dog poo he's been playing with, what exactly has Darnold not shown you that says flop?

1 minute ago, peebag said:

considering the cast of complete dog poo he's been playing with, what exactly has Darnold not shown you that says flop?

remember when Belly had him "seeing ghosts" 

that was the moment everyone should have realized he's not the man 

he's good against bad teams. Belly lives in his head and doesn't pay rent. 

super heroes are supposed to make the players around them better

a guy like Sam is supposed to give this team a chance, even tho they don't deserve one 

they traded 3 second round picks for the guy and the rights to Quenton Nelson instant-Hof guard 

the sad truth is there was a Super Hero in that draft and the Ravens got him at 32 or whatever it was

Sam Darnold is a good manager or whatever but only Jets fans believe this guy will be a star

everyone else calls ghostbusters

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

remember when Belly had him "seeing ghosts" 

that was the moment everyone should have realized he's not the man 

he's good against bad teams. Belly lives in his head and doesn't pay rent. 

super heroes are supposed to make the players around them better

a guy like Sam is supposed to give this team a chance, even tho they don't deserve one 

they traded 3 second round picks for the guy and the rights to Quenton Nelson instant-Hof guard 

the sad truth is there was a Super Hero in that draft and the Ravens got him at 32 or whatever it was

Sam Darnold is a good manager or whatever but only Jets fans believe this guy will be a star

everyone else calls ghostbusters

Give me a break, every person that bashes Sam points to that one game as the measuring stick for Darnold. It is dumb and seriously annoying. Almost every QB that has played the game has a game in his career that is as big of a stinker as that one was, many worse. It is an OUTLIER, it should actually be ignored

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Give me a break, every person that bashes Sam points to that one game as the measuring stick for Darnold. It is dumb and seriously annoying. Almost every QB that has played the game has a game in his career that is as big of a stinker as that one was, many worse. It is an OUTLIER, it should actually be ignored

there's a thread called Suck for Sam 17 i won't necro it but it's "stickied" on the JN app version I refuse to upgrade from 

think about that for a second

2017 was 3 calendar years ago (the suck thread was started during the '16 CFB season) and we are still waiting for Sam Darnold to have a trademark signature moment

forgetting about the ghosts or whatever, who has he ever beaten that was any good? what has he done that's memorable? 

He's the QB1 this is all at his feet. 

or put it another way.. 

as the Haters in the Adams threads can't help but point out, the team has lost more games than they've won during Adams tenure, they also point out Adams doesn't play a premium position deserving of premium cash. 

doesn't it follow that the opposite is true?

Everything that's wrong with this team can be fixed by Sam Darnold and how he handles the PREMIUM position of QB1. Even Gase whom I hate doesn't deserve more blame than Darnold. They've lost more than they've won with Sam, And the teams they do beat aren't any good. They are garbage against playoff squads and start 1-6 during the Darnold tenure. 

this is the point where someone talks about the "dog poo" roster on offense but again, QB1 get those 100 million dollar extensions. WRs and RBs and TEs are expendable, UNLESS they are superstars and even then the QB lasts a decade the star weapons rotate through. 

what have we seen from Sam Darnold that makes him even better than Dak Prescott, the guy who this thread is about? Dak has better weapons? Ok so what does that have to do with how "Franchise" a guy is

managers need weapons. Franchise makes their own

he's not Geno but mediocre isn't a good look from QB1 a guy with that much draft capital invested in him and everyone's complaining about weapons 

they traded 3 second rounders for the dude and Quenton Nelson 

there's the OL and the weapons everyone's been missing 

sam is supposed to be super "Suck for Sam" so good worth losing an entire season for on purpose 

he's not that guy and he won't make me eat these words 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

there's a thread called Suck for Sam 17 i won't necro it but it's "stickied" on the JN app version I refuse to upgrade from 

think about that for a second

2017 was 3 calendar years ago (the suck thread was started during the '16 CFB season) and we are still waiting for Sam Darnold to have a trademark signature moment

forgetting about the ghosts or whatever, who has he ever beaten that was any good? what has he done that's memorable? 

He's the QB1 this is all at his feet. 

or put it another way.. 

as the Haters in the Adams threads can't help but point out, the team has lost more games than they've won during Adams tenure, they also point out Adams doesn't play a premium position deserving of premium cash. 

doesn't it follow that the opposite is true?

Everything that's wrong with this team can be fixed by Sam Darnold and how he handles the PREMIUM position of QB1. Even Gase whom I hate doesn't deserve more blame than Darnold. They've lost more than they've won with Sam, And the teams they do beat aren't any good. They are garbage against playoff squads and start 1-6 during the Darnold tenure. 

this is the point where someone talks about the "dog poo" roster on offense but again, QB1 get those 100 million dollar extensions. WRs and RBs and TEs are expendable, UNLESS they are superstars and even then the QB lasts a decade the star weapons rotate through. 

what have we seen from Sam Darnold that makes him even better than Dak Prescott, the guy who this thread is about? Dak has better weapons? Ok so what does that have to do with how "Franchise" a guy is

managers need weapons. Franchise makes their own

he's not Geno but mediocre isn't a good look from QB1 a guy with that much draft capital invested in him and everyone's complaining about weapons 

they traded 3 second rounders for the dude and Quenton Nelson 

there's the OL and the weapons everyone's been missing 

sam is supposed to be super "Suck for Sam" so good worth losing an entire season for on purpose 

he's not that guy and he won't make me eat these words 

So your argument is Sam should win regardless of surrounding talent and OL competence. Well if you look at us with Sam and without you could definitely argue he won despite his talent. 

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

So your argument is Sam should win regardless of surrounding talent and OL competence. Well if you look at us with Sam and without you could definitely argue he won despite his talent. 

almost

he doesn't have to win 16 games by himself

but a guy who you take 3 overall and trade a boat load of picks to get should show up and start 16 games

and he should elevate the play of those around him 

he hasn't gotten through a season healthy yet

he is 3-9 vs playoff teams

Belly had him seeing ghosts on Monday Night Football national TV 

Brady's gone but Belly exposed the recipe for beating Darnold and good defenses have been able to copy that game 

Darnold might be a good QB one day in another market, once he learns how to throw etc. but how long do we have to wait for the brilliance? 

he's been a mixed bag from day 1 

all that draft capital, mixed bag isn't good enough 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

almost

he doesn't have to win 16 games by himself

but a guy who you take 3 overall and trade a boat load of picks to get should show up and start 16 games

and he should elevate the play of those around him 

he hasn't gotten through a season healthy yet

he is 3-9 vs playoff teams

Belly had him seeing ghosts on Monday Night Football national TV 

Brady's gone but Belly exposed the recipe for beating Darnold and good defenses have been able to copy that game 

Darnold might be a good QB one day in another market, once he learns how to throw etc. but how long do we have to wait for the brilliance? 

he's been a mixed bag from day 1 

all that draft capital, mixed bag isn't good enough 

Again you come back to that one game as if that one is true Darnold. when it is an outlier. Also there was no blueprint. He struggled those two games but after he had 14 TDs and 5 ints. Also it is quite possible he was still suffering from mono in those 2 games. He actually might still not be 100%. And he is not really injury prone. Can't use a disease as a marker for being injury prone and the year before Bowles kept him additional games for McCown to try and save his job. 

If Darnold gets decent protection this year (like just average) and does not raise his game maybe you start to wonder but not yet.