Leonard Williams

AFJF

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Paying Robby Anderson would not have made the 2020 Jets a competitive or entertaining team.

0-16 >>>> overpaying your way to 4-12.

Hate this argument. Good players = bad. This is the new homerism. Think about how great we will be if we purposefully suck for 5 more years!

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Hate this argument. Good players = bad. This is the new homerism. Think about how great we will be if we purposefully suck for 5 more years!

This kind of logic would have led to handing Jamal Adams $100M over 5 years rather than trading him for two 1sts and a 3rd.  It's Maccagnan thinking.

There's a happy medium between paying everyone and paying no one.  I'd like to think Douglas had the right idea in 2020, and will have the right idea moving forward on when is a good time to be handing the right players multi-year deals.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This kind of logic would have led to handing Jamal Adams $100M over 5 years rather than trading him for two 1sts and a 3rd.  It's Maccagnan thinking.

There's a happy medium between paying everyone and paying no one.  I'd like to think Douglas had the right idea in 2020, and will have the right idea moving forward on when is a good time to be handing the right players multi-year deals.

Don’t even try reductio ad absurdum on me, boy-o!

• Haha 1

You started it by lumping me in with the "signing good players is bad" crowd!

You just said good players wouldn’t make this team competitive or entertaining so what’s the use. Sorry if I misinterpreted you but, your point was inartfully made.

Second—and you know I’ve supported JD—how do you reconcile his “best culture is sport” stated goal with his continued acceptance of the worst coaching performance in NFL history? Is he a liar? A blusterer? A hypocrite? A fool? Or did he just get over his skies with that statement (best case scenario)?

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

You just said good players wouldn’t make this team competitive or entertaining so what’s the use. Sorry if I misinterpreted you but, your point was inartfully made.

Second—and you know I’ve supported JD—how do you reconcile his “best culture is sport” stated goal with his continued acceptance of the worst coaching performance in NFL history? Is he a liar? A blustered? A hypocrite? A fool?

I said re-signing Robby Anderson wouldn't make this team entertaining or competitive.  If you have other players in mind let me know!

The "best culture" crap is just Noise.  A silly criticism.  No bad, untalented team has a good culture.  Good culture follows winning, not the other way around.  And to win you need high end talent at premium positions, which we have none of and can't bring in overnight. 

Building culture comes from drafting well.  Build a core of homegrown talent.  Culture will follow.

• Upvote 1

I said re-signing Robby Anderson wouldn't make this team entertaining or competitive.  If you have other players in mind let me know!

The "best culture" crap is just Noise.  A silly criticism.  No bad, untalented team has a good culture.  Good culture follows winning, not the other way around.  And to win you need high end talent at premium positions, which we have none of and can't bring in overnight. 

Building culture comes from drafting well.  Build a core of homegrown talent.  Culture will follow.

Allowing historical failure to keep coaching is the opposite of a good culture. Methinks JD doesn’t have the juice from the Meddle bros he needs to turn this around. I’m on the failure train now.

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Paying Robby Anderson would not have made the 2020 Jets a competitive or entertaining team.

0-16 >>>> overpaying your way to 4-12.

Whats up. Long time we disagreed. If Anderson was 32 and on the downside of his career. Okay. That wasnt the case. A 26 yr old WR with obvious untapped potential, you keep. 

Just now, jgb said:

Allowing historical failure to keep coaching is the opposite of a good culture. Methinks JD doesn’t have the juice from the Meddle bros he needs to turn this around. I’m on the failure train now.

At least 50 % of the roster won't be back next season.  If keeping Gase is what it takes to get to 0-16, then you might as well keep him.  If they choose to fire him, fine.  Either way that's not "fixing" the culture.

Really the most important thing going forward will be whether Douglas has the authority to fire Gase AND hire the next HC.  If he doesn't we'll just be spinning our wheels for eternity.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Whats up. Long time we disagreed. If Anderson was 32 and on the downside of his career. Okay. That wasnt the case. A 26 yr old WR with obvious untapped potential, you keep. 

K.  Robby made the right choice to play with his old Temple coach.  Oh well.  Happy ending and what-not.  If people want to be sad about it every week I won't stop them.  

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For the production he would have put up here with Gase and Darnold, he would have been considered overpaid.  It would have looked very similar to his 2019 productivity.   

No, objectively, free of context, Leonard Williams is drastically overpaid.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At least 50 % of the roster won't be back next season.  If keeping Gase is what it takes to get to 0-16, then you might as well keep him.  If they choose to fire him, fine.  Either way that's not "fixing" the culture.

Really the most important thing going forward will be whether Douglas has the authority to fire Gase AND hire the next HC.  If he doesn't we'll just be spinning our wheels for eternity.  

every day Gase spreads his stink on this team, Trevor’s likelihood to double bird us increases.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No, objectively, free of context, Leonard Williams is drastically overpaid.

If the Jets actually put all these “savings” into the team rather than woodys pocket, I would be more open to the whole “overpaying” argument—which is overwrought anyway as market value is set by market not some GM in an office (unless he is Macc bidding against himself).

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

K.  Robby made the right choice to play with his old Temple coach.  Oh well.  Happy ending and what-not.  If people want to be sad about it every week I won't stop them.  

Well it was a huge topic. Keep him,let him walk. One trick pony. We have the answers now,and it sucks

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

If the Jets actually put all these “savings” into the team rather than woodys pocket, I would be more open to the whole “overpaying” argument—which is overwrought anyway as market value is set by market not some GM in an office (unless he is Macc bidding against himself).

Yeah, but there’s a lot of air between “the Jets should overpay middling players just to burn money” and “Woody is cheap.” If the Jets had good players who deserved monster contracts, they’d give it to them. Hell, they’ve given monster contracts to terrible players

• Upvote 1

Leo will be on the Sheldon Richardson plan.

Good two year contracts with 1.5 or so years guaranteed.  

No team in their right mind will give him a premium contract.

The Giants paying him for this year is just stupid.  

The Maras need to bring George Young back from the dead, and then find his brother for the Jets.  

From George Young's Wikipedia page:

New York Giants[edit]

The Giants had not made a postseason appearance in 15 years when Young was hired by the club in 1979. Wellington Mara had handled most of the franchise's football decisions since joining the organization in 1937—long before inheriting the team from his father, team founder Tim Mara, in 1958. He'd been persuaded to give up control of some day-to-day decisions to operations director Andy Robustelli in 1974, but still had the final say in on-field matters.

The fallout over the Miracle at the Meadowlands in 1978, in which a certain Giant win turned into a loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on a last-second fumble, finally convinced Mara to give up his remaining authority over football matters. He asked Commissioner Pete Rozelle to recommend a new football operations chief. Rozelle recommended Young, who would only take the job if he were granted full control over the football side of the operation. Seeing the need to modernize, Mara agreed.

In building the Giants he placed special emphasis on the NFL Draft. From his inaugural draft in 1979 through the 1995 selection process, he succeeded in signing every player drafted over that span, and from those drafts, a total of 119 players made the club at one time or another. Instrumental in his reversal of the Giants’ fortunes was his drafting of standout players such as Phil Simms, Lawrence Taylor, Joe Morris, and Carl Banks, and selecting Bill Parcells as the club's head coach.