Justin Fields: All 22 Coach's FIlm

win4ever

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree with that last part wholeheartedly.  The way the roster has been the past couple years makes it difficult for anyone to really succeed, even a guy like Trevor.  Could he have won 4 games vs. Darnold's 2?  Probably, but he wasn't elevating this team to anywhere near .500.

Now, let me ask you this.  Do you think the Jets can do enough in FA and Draft to create a potentially successful environment for a QB they'd take at #2 this year?  With Becton, Crowder, Mims, McGovern, etc. in place and assuming the Jets did something like add an OG (Thuney?) and add a WR1/2 (Robinson, JuJu, Gollady, Godwin, etc.) could they take a QB prospect like Fields or Wilson, and then hit offense again at #32 and #34 (maybe an OT and either WR, RB or TE like Friermuth) to setup that rookie QB to develop successfully?

I do not believe the Jets will sign any big name free agents. Not. A. One.

Partly because that's not how jd wants to build (comp picks), partly because the big names don't want to work for a 2 and 14 endless rebuild 

They will sign glue guys, new hc friendly types about 2 weeks into free agency.

They have 100 million in cap space they are not going to spend 100 million. They had 65 last year and went bargain shopping. 

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

An extra draft pick or two is not going to change that , but having a true QB to build around will speed the process up. 

Listen this is where I have a fundamental disagreement with a lot of folks. 

I don't subscribe to the "Great Man Theory of Quarterbacking". 

Like most things in life, circumstances and luck count for a great deal.

I think Josh Allen would be sh*t if he was on this team with Bowles/Gase. I think the only reason Baker is even remotely relevant this season is the dominant o-line and two excellent NFL running backs on his team - either of which would start ahead of most RB's on most teams in this league.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is an oddly specific question 

Yes. I did all those things. Now tell me what injury fields has and how long it takes to recover 

Well when I talked to him this morning after he ate his steak and quinoa bowl he said his ribs and hip will heal quite nicely after a month of non football activity. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

First of all, past history of where QBs were drafted mean nothing compared to this upcoming draft. Secondly, the roster next year we’ll be a complete upgrade over what was on the field Sams first 3 years. Thirdly, if Douglas passes on Fields or Wilson to draft Sewell and those two guys turn into studs... Douglas will lose his job. 

I'll grant the first point is anecdotal 

The second point that the Jets will load up in FA is wishful thinking 

The third point is flat out wrong. Joe Douglas is in year 2 of a fully vested 6 year deal. He's not getting fired early and he doesn't have to take a QB right now.

In fact it makes more sense to take a QB year 4 or 5, open up the sb window and get an extension from the Johnsons going 9-7 or whatever. 

You guys have it backwards on jd. If he takes fields or Wilson who bust, that would prevent him from getting an extension. That could even get him fired early. It's the highest draft pick this far has had for 25 years it's not play around time 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Well when I talked to him this morning after he ate his steak and quinoa bowl he said his ribs and hip will heal quite nicely after a month of non football activity. 

Sounds delicious.

So while everyone else is working out getting ready for combine or whatever, he will be resting. Not working out. Losing strength actually. 

Missed opportunity for a young man to get better 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I do not believe the Jets will sign any big name free agents. Not. A. One.

Partly because that's not how jd wants to build (comp picks), partly because the big names don't want to work for a 2 and 14 endless rebuild 

They will sign glue guys, new hc friendly types about 2 weeks into free agency.

They have 100 million in cap space they are not going to spend 100 million. They had 65 last year and went bargain shopping. 

I agree they won't overspend on FA's who are aging Vets, but I believe they'll invest in younger players that can be part of the rebuild . This approach certainly doesn't rule out big names (Godwin/Robinson). Plus if the Jets choose a younger HC ( Saleh/Staley/Brady/Smith) and commit to draft a QB at 2 , it will help attract the type of player you say won't come here.  Do I expect them to spend all of the cap money - no, but I believe they will spend on guys who can grow with the team. 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'll grant the first point is anecdotal 

The second point that the Jets will load up in FA is wishful thinking 

The third point is flat out wrong. Joe Douglas is in year 2 of a fully vested 6 year deal. He's not getting fired early and he doesn't have to take a QB right now.

In fact it makes more sense to take a QB year 4 or 5, open up the sb window and get an extension from the Johnsons going 9-7 or whatever. 

You guys have it backwards on jd. If he takes fields or Wilson who bust, that would prevent him from getting an extension. 

Strongly disagree. 

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Jmo - but if the Jags take Fields the Jets should run to the podium to draft Lawrence. If the Jags take Lawrence the Jets should run to the podium to take Fields. 

I think the Jets go with Fields for a few reasons:

1.  Good veteran QBs never make it to the free agent market unless there is a major concern.  We'd be looking at Stafford/Garrapolo/Rivers types which either have productivity issues or age.  

2.  I don't know if a new coach wants to run with Darnold for another year, when the draft class is fairly weak for QBs.  I can see it if it's a tenured HC like Shanahan or Payton, but I think a new head coach wants the grace period with a young QB.  

3.  I really like Fields' skillset.  He's accurate, has very good mobility (I expect him to have a good 40 time, but he's not quite as shifts as say Jackson/Murray) and he throws a very good deep ball.  His tape really reminds me of Russel Wilson, which is why I felt like this might be akin to the Luck/RGIII draft, but Wilson was the second prize.  It's not without risk of course.  

One thing I really value is the ability to throw accurate deep passes, especially if you can create a trajectory that makes it impossible to defend.  Wilson does this all the time, where he seems to just drop it in.  

I also think a mobile QB is going to be the way of the future, and he checks that box in spades.  A lot of the younger stars like Mahomes/Allen/Mayfield/Watson/Herbert/Jackson/Murray/Herbert and Burrow to an extent/ are all able to move in open space and generate pressure.  Much like the spread RPO first got roots in minor colleges, I think NFL teams are adapting it to the point where a guy that can threaten the defense with his leg creates all kinds of problems.  I mean, look at the Saints, everyone would have said Winston is QB2 there, but when Brees went down, they turned to Hill because the ability to run really sets QBs apart now.  

Lawrence has the better arm, I'm not going to even question that, but I think Fields is better at mobility.  And his arm isn't on the Tua level of sadness, because he can actually take deep shots with accuracy.   

Adding on he was a legitimate baseball prospect like Murray/Wilson, which I think is a very good trait for throwing on the run without being able to square your hips all the time.  

4.  I agree, I think the top two choices in this draft would be Lawrence/Fields.  I still have Lawrence rated higher mainly because from what I hear, he's better at deciphering defenses at the line.  I have no idea how to scout that from home, so I have to take people's words on it.  However, just on tape, Fields is just as impressive as Lawrence.  I really wish we got to see him healthy in the national championship game because he just didn't have his usual accuracy.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree they won't overspend on FA's who are aging Vets, but I believe they'll invest in younger players that can be part of the rebuild . This approach certainly doesn't rule out big names (Godwin/Robinson). Plus if the Jets choose a younger HC ( Saleh/Staley/Brady/Smith) and commit to draft a QB at 2 , it will help attract the type of player you say won't come here.  Do I expect them to spend all of the cap money - no, but I believe they will spend on guys who can grow with the team. 

Why would Allen Robinson want to sign with the Jets? 

If the answer is just money it's not the right fit 

31 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think the Jets go with Fields for a few reasons:

1.  Good veteran QBs never make it to the free agent market unless there is a major concern.  We'd be looking at Stafford/Garrapolo/Rivers types which either have productivity issues or age.  

2.  I don't know if a new coach wants to run with Darnold for another year, when the draft class is fairly weak for QBs.  I can see it if it's a tenured HC like Shanahan or Payton, but I think a new head coach wants the grace period with a young QB.  

3.  I really like Fields' skillset.  He's accurate, has very good mobility (I expect him to have a good 40 time, but he's not quite as shifts as say Jackson/Murray) and he throws a very good deep ball.  His tape really reminds me of Russel Wilson, which is why I felt like this might be akin to the Luck/RGIII draft, but Wilson was the second prize.  It's not without risk of course.  

One thing I really value is the ability to throw accurate deep passes, especially if you can create a trajectory that makes it impossible to defend.  Wilson does this all the time, where he seems to just drop it in.  

I also think a mobile QB is going to be the way of the future, and he checks that box in spades.  A lot of the younger stars like Mahomes/Allen/Mayfield/Watson/Herbert/Jackson/Murray/Herbert and Burrow to an extent/ are all able to move in open space and generate pressure.  Much like the spread RPO first got roots in minor colleges, I think NFL teams are adapting it to the point where a guy that can threaten the defense with his leg creates all kinds of problems.  I mean, look at the Saints, everyone would have said Winston is QB2 there, but when Brees went down, they turned to Hill because the ability to run really sets QBs apart now.  

Lawrence has the better arm, I'm not going to even question that, but I think Fields is better at mobility.  And his arm isn't on the Tua level of sadness, because he can actually take deep shots with accuracy.   

Adding on he was a legitimate baseball prospect like Murray/Wilson, which I think is a very good trait for throwing on the run without being able to square your hips all the time.  

4.  I agree, I think the top two choices in this draft would be Lawrence/Fields.  I still have Lawrence rated higher mainly because from what I hear, he's better at deciphering defenses at the line.  I have no idea how to scout that from home, so I have to take people's words on it.  However, just on tape, Fields is just as impressive as Lawrence.  I really wish we got to see him healthy in the national championship game because he just didn't have his usual accuracy.  

When people say next years qb class is poor, I remember how cam Newton wasn't in the top 500 prospects the year before he went number one 

There isn't a Trevor OK but guys develop. 

Which brings us to your point 4. Fields is not as impressive on tape as Trevor. He's just not that kind of rare arm. Every throw from Trevor is a perfect spiral. Fields gets it there. 

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

When people say next years qb class is poor, I remember how cam Newton wasn't in the top 500 prospects the year before he went number one 

There isn't a Trevor OK but guys develop. 

Which brings us to your point 4. Fields is not as impressive on tape as Trevor. He's just not that kind of rare arm. Every throw from Trevor is a perfect spiral. Fields gets it there. 

I think he looks just as impressive on tape as Trevor, the mental aspect is the one that I can't comment on.  However, I've been wrong before, so I would love to hear your breakdown of the tape as well.  I want to see to plays where he looks more impressive or how he looks more impressive.  I'm not disagreeing with you, I feel it's better if we can point it out.   

28 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think he looks just as impressive on tape as Trevor, the mental aspect is the one that I can't comment on.  However, I've been wrong before, so I would love to hear your breakdown of the tape as well.  I want to see to plays where he looks more impressive or how he looks more impressive.  I'm not disagreeing with you, I feel it's better if we can point it out.   

I'm not a qb guy or a scout but there was a dude in the national championship thread who summed it up 

Fields has a strong arm but his spirals are slop. Trevor Lawrence could have been a mlb pitcher. 

Meanwhile Sewell has some of the most impressive ol tape since the invention of the camera. 

• Sympathy 1