Justin Fields: All 22 Coach's FIlm

win4ever

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Look at what happened to Zeke in Dallas. 

I don't want to violate Max's non sports laws but we don't know what this disease does to people long term and there are a certain amount of people who get it, recover, and then have symptoms afterward. Jedrick Wills of the Cleveland Browns tested negative last week but still missed the jets game with some kind of aftereffect symptoms, despite testing negative before the game. The NYT has an article about healthy people with no history of mental illness hearing voices and getting severe schizophrenia after recovery   

when we were all excited to trade Jamal Adams, part of my reasoning against it is that these picks the 21 and 22 seasons are going to be compromised. At the time I thought it was for the usual reasons, lack of information, shutting down all the games, maybe they wouldn't be able to pro days etc.

The reason no one (except for maybe Pete Carroll) considered is that some of these guys are going to get the disease and not look the same afterward for months or possibly ever again.

Penei Sewell and all these other elite prospects that opted out did so for good football reasons and sound business reasons 

again I hope this post treads the line between football and non football and I'm sorry if it doesn't 

But shouldn't he be just as worried that Adam's gets it and is never the same?

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Overreaction here . 

Are you referring to all the film or just the Indiana or NW game. In the Indiana game he was missing 3 OL starters with replacements only having a few days to practice due to covid,. In the NW game Fitzgerald's game plan was to take away Fields and drop 6/7/8  into coverage . Then on obvious passing downs they brought overload blitzes. Any QB , even NFL quality QB's will struggle in that scenario. Its why OSU ran the ball , its what NW gave them all day.  And in the NW game he was missing his top wideout Olave and he injured his hand/wrist in the1st qtr. 

Don't leave out that there were 22 players out due to Covid against Northwestern.

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

The Indiana game in particular was a mess. I don’t fault him as much for the NW game. Ohio State back ups aren’t slouches, and given their talent level it’s up to Fields to show his ability. He really didn’t. 

Fields is a really good prospect but he’s showing bad cracks and what you can see in his worst games shows up in stats. For instance, against the blitz his time to release the ball actually increases which isn’t true for Wilson or Lawrence. That means he’s bailing instead of reading the game.

You're right, Ohio State back ups aren't slouches, but if the WRs you usually play with are out, your timing is going to be off with the new guys no matter how talented they are. 

• Upvote 1

Wanted to keep going, especially since Fields will be of more interest after last night:

Lawrence:  

43:25:  A simple shallow crossing route, good throw.  I think I mentioned it before, but on tape, it's a bit alarming at the rate of throws near the line of scrimmage for Clemson.  I think he has an amazing arm, but they throw an awful lot of short yard throws.  

Fields:

46:01- I think this is a bad play by Fields, because the whole play call is a short read.  They have a tunnel screen to one side, a quick out to the other side, yet Fields holds onto the ball.  The WR gets PI, but I don't like the point of when Fields threw this ball.  When he releases the ball, the CB is draped all over the WR.

47:12:  A great throw by Fields, right down the sideline.  I like to think this is a better catch than throw, but he put it exactly where it needed to be, for his guy to jump up and catch it.  I can't tell for sure if he landed in bounds, but they did run a quick play to prevent a replay.  I also wanted to point out that both slot routes go directly towards the middle field safety, so I think it's a good read that went for the 1 on 1 match up.  

48:15:  Easy pitch and catch to the TE.  

49:48:  A good play to practice playing behind the Jets' OL.  This reminds me a ton of Russel Wilson, where he can just avoid the first guy, and then make something out of nothing.  There were defenders on him before receivers were making their breaks, so he had to tuck it in and run. 

This aspect also raises some questions about his stats because he doesn't always have that quick dump off option (which we see with Lawrence), which force him to look downfield (or take a sack).  I know there's a lot of talk about OSU system, but they seem much more of a vertical attack team than some spread offenses that I've seen.  This hurts his stats somewhat because there aren't the 5 yard dump passes in 3rd and 10, but it helps him in the long run to know to look down field.  

That is a highlight of Haskins at OSU, don't care about the throws,  But look at the amount of short quick options (Not that he takes them all the time) that is built in to the offense, which seems a much higher rate than OSU with Fields.  I feel like they attack more vertically now.  

50:09:  This should be a TD, and this is an ok throw that I think the receiver dropped or the CB got a piece of, I'm not sure.  The main issue was that Fields was being tackled as he was throwing, but the ball has a good chance of being completed.  Ideally the ball is placed more towards the middle of the field here but I think it's his legs being hit that force this ball to float.  I still think this should have been caught because I don't think the WR thought the CB would come off the outside receiver.  

54:53:  On the outset, this looks like a bad read, but I'm not so sure.  Notice the receiver running to the end zone to the left of the targeted TE.  As soon as crosses the S, he slows down and doesn't even look for the ball.  This I think tells me he's a decoy on this play to pull the safety, and the only read on this play is the TE if he's looking at that side.  The throw is a bit off, but he put it right on the TE between two defenders.  Unfortunately, it led him out of bounds.  I don't want to say it's a bad throw, because I think he put it where only his guy could get it, but I wish he checked down here.  He seems to have a bit of a gunslinger mentality to him at times, which hurts him.  This was a good time to take the easy check down.   

55:30:  This very well could have been a TD, but the RB (Dobbins I believe) flat out dropped it.  They had blocking set up down field to the point that he could have easily scored on this play.  

So far in this game, OSU (and Fields) is blowing the doors off Clemson, but missing TDs by inches.  

56:15:  I don't know how to classify this, because there is a slot route breaking in that is momentarily open.  You can even see Fields pump fake a bit when he should release the ball.  However, there are two LBs that stand in the way of that throw, and I think he didn't want to take that chance.  Once that is gone, there is no play here, and it was just thrown out of bounds.  Once again, notice the receiver that is eventually targeted.  He makes a horrible turn on the route, but I think he's a decoy for the wheel route from the CB.  I think he's supposed to run a bad route, thus having the CB be right on him, because then he's in a great position to block.  If it is, it's ingenious coaching to get blocking down the field without a penalty.  

Lawrence:

58:25:  He didn't have an outlet, and got attacked before he could throw the ball.  I can't blame him.  

59:30:  A called QB keeper, and Lawrence shows very good strength converting this third down.  

1:00:06:  This one is interesting because this play might highlight the differences between these two guys.  Lawrence has the deep comeback route open on the sideline as he rolls out, and he's looking right at it.  However, he takes the safer short option and converts a first down.  How do you dissect this if you are scouting for the NFL?  Did he make the right choice with the safer option, especially given he had three wide open dump off passes?  Or should he have taken the deeper pass?  In this case, I think he made the right decision because the amount of space around the dump off pass made it virtually risk free, and he would still get ample yards.  

Once again, wanted to harp on how the Clemson system is showing to be more QB friendly here, while OSU gets shown as coddling QBs.  I don't want you to get it wrong, I think Lawrence is the better prospect and I would take him No, 1 no matter what, but some of the narratives aren't true when you just watch the national media.   

1:00:42:  Honestly reminds me of Josh Allen on a read option, fighting through.  

1:01:54:  A bad read by Lawrence here because he doesn't anticipate the blitz on a 3rd and 5.  He has wide open options to the left, but he doesn't get off his initial read in time and takes the sack.  He has a bump and go from the RB for an easy dump off pass, but he doesn't utilize it.  This is bad blitz recognition.  Now it doesn't help his primary target fell down either.  

Now that play is considered a big turning point in the game, because the CB got called for targeting, which not only kicked him out (I believe Wade) but also extended this dead drive.  

1:05:08:  This is an incomplete pass, but I thought this was a great throw.  He put it right in an area where his guy could make a play, and the defender was just right there.  There are the types of passes someone like Tee Higgins would make a play on, but I thought the ball placement was excellent.  The CB got called for PI.  

1:06:50:  The timing of this play seems off, Lawrence was ready to throw well before the WR made his break.  If you notice the receiver had to reset his route because the CB jumped on inside leverage, at which point he went outside, only to cut inside once again.  It's very good hip manipulation, but it throws off the timing of this throw.  Lawrence does a good job of improvising, very much like Josh Allen.  

Fields:

1:11:15:  A bad read from Fields, and he misses a wide open TE down the field.  This is where I think he had to improve this year, where he seemed a bit more reluctant last year.  If he looks towards the TE, he has an easy 30 yard completion, but he takes the shorter one.  I know we talked about Lawrence before and taking the easy pass, but in this case, it's a bad read because you don't get the first down.  In fact, they get stopped on the very next run, and punt.  

Lawrence:

1:14:14- A should be interception from Lawrence, as he tries to fit it in to the WR, who falls down.  I don't think this is a good throw even without the guy falling down, because the CB is ready to pounce on this pass.  

1:14:41:  A second straight pass that very well could have been intercepted.  This is just a flat out bad throw, as he's about to get hit from the blind side.  I can't tell if the defender hit his arm, but this is a case where he has to throw it down the field.  Instead, he tries a back shoulder which backfires because the CB turned around to look at the pass.  You can also make a case for offensive PI here as well.  

1:15:19:  If you want a reason as to why Lawrence will be picked first, this is a good example.  A rocket throw on 3rd down to convert.

1:15:41: If you want to question Lawrence, I think this is a good example as well.  In this case, he has a wide open receiver as he's rolling out for a big gain, but makes a much more dangerous throw to the outside.  The CB is going directly there when he pulls the trigger, as he misses the easy curl route.  This is just a bad read, incomplete pass.  

1:16:12- I think we are all familiar with this run, just a great run where he shows great athleticism.  Again, reminds me a ton of Josh Allen here.  

Fields:

1:20:18- A bad read from Fields, where he's looking at the deep in route but doesn't pull the trigger.  He hesitates initially, and then ends up throwing there anyway for an incomplete pass.  This is one of those areas he needed to improve this year, as he seemed to get gun shy at times.  Terrible read.  

End of the First Half:

You can see why OSU felt angry after the loss last year.  This is about 3 plays from being 30-7 at halftime in favor of OSU.  Fields isn't playing great but I think so far he's played better than Lawrence.

Few Things to note so far:

Fields gets hesitant if throwing lanes are cloudy at times with LBs that aren't near the target but in the field of view.  

OSU doesn't run as QB friendly of a system as Clemson, as they seem to attack vertically a lot more.  Clemson builds in a ton of dump off passes to help the QB, where they are stretching horizontally to clear up routes vertically. 

OSU does help their QB by running what I think are decoy routes more often to draw defenders, but also add blockers down the field, even on long developing plays.  Usually you will see this on say short crossing routes where receivers will pretend to run a route for a couple of seconds before blocking.  However, I noticed a couple of instances where they ran the route, but their ultimate goal was blocking.  

Judging based on tape, I don't think these guys are too far off, so far.  Lawrence has the physical tools, especially with the arm, but I think Fields makes more plays that translate better to the NFL, IMO.  I still take Lawrence because I think having a mobile QB with a superior arm (Allen/Mahomes) goes a long way in today's game.  Fields has a great arm, and better mobility, but I like the Lawrence profile better.  

Hopefully in the next few weeks, we can go through more of the tape.  Would love to hear what others think based on the tape.  If I'm missing something, or if you see something, etc

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 12/31/2020 at 10:14 PM, slimjasi said:

Kerry Collins was a million times better than Darnold, too

And pass on Fields because of mechanics but give Darnold a 4th year to display more bad mechanics. Got it. Cool. 

On 12/31/2020 at 11:17 PM, artemusclyde said:

Fields has good mechanics, his problem is that he is slow at making reads and holds onto the ball forever. Seriously, what the hell are you looking at if you think Fields has bad mechanics? Here's a video on Fields mechanics since your blind.

On 12/31/2020 at 9:29 PM, QB1 said:

Bad mechanics? Fields has pretty flawless mechanics 

Amazing. I should' not have used "bad mechanics" after mentioning his hitchy throwing motion, because somehow that's not mechanics to you guys. Good to know. ?

He has an elongated, hitchy throwing motion that is ill-suited to success in the NFL, historically. I'd rather not tie the franchise to that for 4-5 years and instead would like to see a 1 year tryout for a player whose skillset exceeds that of Fields, while surrounded by a better team and coach. If it doesn't work out, the team is still better moving forward.

If you guys think that his throwing motion is ok in today's NFL, then I will just disagree and move on. But don't pretend that it doesn't exist, because it does. 

• Upvote 1

I was high on Fields early in the season. After watching him play his first few games, I saw a young QB who was reading the D pre play to ID his best target pre snap on pass plays, he was decisive, accurate, mobile and played error free. I felt he was in the conversation as Lawrence’s equal as a prospect. Then I witnessed his meltdowns vs Indiana and Northwestern and began to feel he was not worthy of a high pick. He was terrible in those games. He was confused, indecisive and took unnecessary risks. I’m beginning to accept that those games were aberrations and will place them in that category if Fields plays well vs Alabama’s D. I hope he does play well, because if he does . . .

There will be 2 QBs available at the top of the draft who are much better prospects than the usual group of top college QBs. I’d be very excited for a future with either as the Jets QB (but would hope they sit all or part of their first season).

This comes from someone who was firmly in the trade down from #2 camp after Field’s late season melt downs. However, I reserve the right to return to this position should Field’s raise question marks with a poor performance vs Alabama.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jetworks said:

Amazing. I should' not have used "bad mechanics" after mentioning his hitchy throwing motion, because somehow that's not mechanics to you guys. Good to know. ?

He has an elongated, hitchy throwing motion that is ill-suited to success in the NFL, historically. I'd rather not tie the franchise to that for 4-5 years and instead would like to see a 1 year tryout for a player whose skillset exceeds that of Fields, while surrounded by a better team and coach. If it doesn't work out, the team is still better moving forward.

If you guys think that his throwing motion is ok in today's NFL, then I will just disagree and move on. But don't pretend that it doesn't exist, because it does. 

I’m not sure his motion is “hitchy” because I’m not sure what that means but it is long and he is aware of it and working on it. Given that this is really the only flaw in his throwing motion, which is used by countless coaches as a demonstration of proper mechanics, i consider it s plus. It is truly a rare QB prospect who leaves college with nothing to improve on his throwing motion.

https://amp.buckeyextra.com/amp/3741113001

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I was high on Fields early in the season. After watching him play his first few games, I saw a young QB who was reading the D pre play to ID his best target pre snap on pass plays, he was decisive, accurate, mobile and played error free. I felt he was in the conversation as Lawrence’s equal as a prospect. Then I witnessed his meltdowns vs Indiana and Northwestern and began to feel he was not worthy of a high pick. He was terrible in those games. He was confused, indecisive and took unnecessary risks. I’m beginning to accept that those games were aberrations and will place them in that category if Fields plays well vs Alabama’s D. I hope he does play well, because if he does . . .

There will be 2 QBs available at the top of the draft who are much better prospects than the usual group of top college QBs. I’d be very excited for a future with either as the Jets QB (but would hope they sit all or part of their first season).

This comes from someone who was firmly in the trade down from #2 camp after Field’s late season melt downs. However, I reserve the right to return to this position should Field’s raise question marks with a poor performance vs Alabama.

Flip flop much ?  If a QB shows he can read a D in early games he shows he can read a D period. Did you see how rattled Lawrence looked against a competent defense , it happens all the time in the NFL as well . A good defensive game plan like that from NW against Fields can make an All Pro QB look ordinary.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Flip flop much ?  If a QB shows he can read a D in early games he shows he can read a D period. Did you see how rattled Lawrence looked against a competent defense , it happens all the time in the NFL as well . A good defensive game plan like that from NW against Fields can make an All Pro QB look ordinary.   

Agreed. I’m entitled to flip flop though, aren’t I? It’s a process. Everyone’s draft board changes as new information becomes available. Plus, it beats the alternative of some which dictates blind faith in a prospect after you’ve made your initial determination.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Agreed. I’m entitled to flip flop though, aren’t I? It’s a process. Everyone’s draft board changes as new information becomes available. Plus, it beats the alternative of some which dictates blind faith in a prospect after you’ve made your initial determination.

But saying a QB can't read a Defense or process a game shouldn't change game to game - either they can or they can't .

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But saying a QB can't read a Defense or process a game shouldn't change game to game - either they can or they can't .

Well some QBs do fine reading most Ds but when confronted with a Top D or exotic fronts, they become ordinary, or even bad, QBs. I said he was confused, indecisive and made poor decisions against Indiana and Northwestern, two excellent Ds. It then becomes a cause for concern. He lessened that concern against Clemson, but I feel Ryan Day was on a mission against the Clemson D and knew just how to attack it. Regardless, a strong showing by Fields vs Bama will all but eliminate my concerns regarding his 2 poor performances during the season.

An unwillingness to objectively evaluate the weaknesses or possible shortcomings of a prospect makes for a bad overall evaluation. Too many fall into this trap when discussing a prospect they like.

i like Fields a lot, but concerns must be addressed and considered in the process. No prospect is perfect.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Well some QBs do fine reading most Ds but when confronted with a Top D or exotic fronts, they become ordinary, or even bad, QBs. I said he was confused, indecisive and made poor decisions against Indiana and Northwestern, two excellent Ds. It then becomes a cause for concern. He lessened that concern against Clemson, but I feel Ryan Day was on a mission against the Clemson D and knew just how to attack it. Regardless, a strong showing by Fields vs Bama will all but eliminate my concerns regarding his 2 poor performances during the season.

An unwillingness to objectively evaluate the weaknesses or possible shortcomings of a prospect makes for a bad overall evaluation. Too many fall into this trap when discussing a prospect they like.

i like Fields a lot, but concerns must be addressed and considered in the process. No prospect is perfect.

Objective evaluation involves taking in all the data points including last season. Evaluation off of recent games and small subsets is inherently irrational. 

2 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Objective evaluation involves taking in all the data points including last season. Evaluation off of recent games and small subsets is inherently irrational. 

I agree. I have a day job though. So, the time i can spend on watching Fields is limited. I wouldn’t want to turn something i enjoy doing into actual work. I trust JD and his crew will make the best decision possible after countless hours of analysis. I’m just throwing in my 2 cents. Isn’t that what this place is for?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I agree. I have a day job though. So, the time i can spend on watching Fields is limited. I wouldn’t want to turn something i enjoy doing into actual work. I trust JD and his crew will make the best decision possible after countless hours of analysis. I’m just throwing in my 2 cents. Isn’t that what this place is for?

But at the same time you can’t really make a reasonable judgement. It’s having an opinion for the sake of it as opposed to an informed one. It’s just frustrating because people make such extreme takes and are adamant about it despite having not really knowing what they are talking about. Why even listen if the poster is just going to immediately change their opinion after another game. Probably a bit of a pet peeve as a physician too lol

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Changing opinions based on new information and expanded data?!

What're you? A wizard?!

• Haha 2

On 1/3/2021 at 5:08 PM, 56mehl56 said:

I love how Northwestern is now suddenly the ‘85 Bears because they shut down Fields

33 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I love how Northwestern is now suddenly the ‘85 Bears because they shut down Fields

Did you watch the game ? Or are you just commenting on the score and "lowlights" posted. 

NW's game plan had 6/7 and even 8 men dropping into coverage at times to prevent Ohio St's passing game. They dared OSU to run the ball and they did just that with Trey Sermon getting over 300 yards on the run by himself. They also went overload blitz on any 3rd down that necessitated passing.

No QB would have performed well in that scenario, not the Golden Child Lawrence , not Wilson, not Trey Lance. Understand the context of the game before throwing out such flippant comments.

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, HawaiisOnlyJetsFan said:

Because most just watch highlights, which generally means it's first read big play. If you're having to get to you third or fourth read in college it's probably not a highlight worthy play. The rest is just bias for or against. Fields has pro level physical skills: touch, ball placement/accuracy, good deep ball, incredible athleticism. Most of my negatives on him have to do with decision making and trying to do too much on his own. Always looking for the big play instead of taking what's there. Was a little down on him after the NW game, that said I still have him 1b to TL and would be happy if we drafted him.

And there are a lot of people who watched him play for the first time in the championship game.  After he over threw in the end zone they were convinced he was not the guy.  

giphy.gif

“You want to have success in the league. I think Mel’s right,” McShay said. “You don’t think (a return to college) is going to happen but I think Mel is exactly right. … He’s not there yet. If you study film and you know what you’re talking about and you know how to identify what quarterbacks are looking for and you know defensive coverages and you know how to get off your primary to secondary to third target, you can see that he’s not there yet.”

McShay on a podcast with Mel yesterday on the fact that fields is yet to declare 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

“You want to have success in the league. I think Mel’s right,” McShay said. “You don’t think (a return to college) is going to happen but I think Mel is exactly right. … He’s not there yet. If you study film and you know what you’re talking about and you know how to identify what quarterbacks are looking for and you know defensive coverages and you know how to get off your primary to secondary to third target, you can see that he’s not there yet.”

McShay on a podcast with Mel yesterday on the fact that fields is yet to declare 

I think fields is the wrong qb for the jets but if fields were to stay at OSU that would hurt the trade value of the 2 pick.  I do think, for better or worse, if the new HC and douglas wanted to keep darnold for another year and traded out, atlanta would move up to 2 and let fields take over for Ryan mid season.  

Quick question for everyone arguing on this thread - you do realize that its a projection as to what these guys can be in years 3-10 in the league right, not what they are today or what they will be as rookies. 

I understand that Russ and Ben had enormous success in year 1 in their careers while Luck and Lamar both won over 10 games but the vast majority of these QBs are going to have a best case situation of Josh Allen or even Jared Goff (who I dont even think is that good).

JD isnt looking at Field's ability to read the field today, he is looking at whether or not he has the physical tools, character and mental processing ability to be able to read the full field in 2023.  Now, what makes his job so difficult is that 1) guessing on the above traits is very difficult, but 2) there are 100K people like us, along with the media, who want the team to win in 2021 and  see immediate results.  So what he needs is a HC/OC who can help a QB like fields with a good running game and OL and give him a playbook that focuses on his current strengths while slowly developing his skill set.  Either that or play Sam and let fields (or wilson) sit for a year.

No GM,  and certainly no one on this board, KNOWS which of these guys will make it as elite QBs, they are making their best guess but given the value of what Fields could be if he turns into an Allen/Lamar type player is why there is no way we are trading down to take a RT, even if our GM "wants to build the trenches".

I dont care if its WIlson, Lance or Fields and Im sure we will enjoy debating these guys for the next few months, but saying a guy will never be able to do it, 3 months before the draft isnt really the way these kids get evaluated.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1