Justin Fields: All 22 Coach's FIlm

win4ever

On 12/31/2020 at 9:21 PM, Jetworks said:

FFS, are any of you older than 30? If you are, and you are watching this all-22 stuff, how are you not instantly reminded of this middling journeyman?

You can get away with bad mechanics in college, not so much in the NFL, especially with players being so much faster. Sorry, but Fields is a hard pass.

Take the best offensive players available at OL/WR/TE/RB and give Darnold a shot while setting the stage for the next guy if he fails. Lawrence was the only one really worth tanking for. Since we sucked just bad enough to not get him doesn't mean we don't suck enough to address other positions of need. 

So Darnold has better mechanics than Fields? And Fields is the 2nd coming of Kerry Collins? You got a screw loose.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I think fields is the wrong qb for the jets but if fields were to stay at OSU that would hurt the trade value of the 2 pick.  I do think, for better or worse, if the new HC and douglas wanted to keep darnold for another year and traded out, atlanta would move up to 2 and let fields take over for Ryan mid season.  

If there's any trade value at 2 it's for Sewell 

Just now, sec101row23 said:

It is interesting that Justin hasn’t declared yet.   My guess is that he’s getting some treatment and seeing just how injured he is right now.  He probably comes out, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he stayed another year.   

i would be shocked.  the college football landscape is very uncertain.  there's no guarantee ohio state will play a full schedule next year.  he had an amazing game vs clemson.  he's most likely a top 5 pick.  he should declare and take the money.  atlanta or carolina will trade up for him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

It is interesting that Justin hasn’t declared yet.   My guess is that he’s getting some treatment and seeing just how injured he is right now.  He probably comes out, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he stayed another year.   

He'd be crazy not to come out.  He's got temporary injuries at best- sprained thumb, hip pointer, bruised or cracked ribs.  HIs value will never be higher. He's a top 5 pick no matter what.  Playing another season won't and can't improve his draft position.  Plus with Covid, there is no guarantee there will be a season next year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

So Darnold has better mechanics than Fields? And Fields is the 2nd coming of Kerry Collins? You got a screw loose.

I didn't say anything about Darnold's mechanics; I especially didn't say his were better than Fields. I also likened Fields' throwing motion to Kerry Collins, which is better than saying it was as bad as say, Tebow's. Read what's there, not what you think is there

46 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

I didn't say anything about Darnold's mechanics; I especially didn't say his were better than Fields. I also likened Fields' throwing motion to Kerry Collins, which is better than saying it was as bad as say, Tebow's. Read what's there, not what you think is there

Then your post is pretty much irrelevant 

I watched a bit of the national championship game video. I think it's pretty clear he was nowhere near the reported 95% just from those drives because they weren't attacking vertically.

I'm a bit surprised he hasn't declared yet. They have Mccord, and a guy like Olave will be leaving. So it makes full sense for him to go. I'm more worried about the severity of the injury, because (at least from what I can tell) he wasn't using his hips well at all in this game. A lot of it were more arm throws.

Last thing I want to add: I'm not 100% sure Lawrence is going No. 1 right now. Odds wise yes, but I don't think it's a lock. Reminds me a ton of the Baker/Darnold situation where the Browns had to take the easy choice in Darnold, but Baker looked better on film. Right now the media is in the phase of "absolute lock" talk, and eventually will start the "Is there doubt with the Jags?" questions. Again, this is just my opinion, but with the Meyer hire, I'm not 100% sure Lawrence will be No. 1.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

14 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I watched a bit of the national championship game video. I think it's pretty clear he was nowhere near the reported 95% just from those drives because they weren't attacking vertically.

I'm a bit surprised he hasn't declared yet. They have Mccord, and a guy like Olave will be leaving. So it makes full sense for him to go. I'm more worried about the severity of the injury, because (at least from what I can tell) he wasn't using his hips well at all in this game. A lot of it were more arm throws.

Last thing I want to add: I'm not 100% sure Lawrence is going No. 1 right now. Odds wise yes, but I don't think it's a lock. Reminds me a ton of the Baker/Darnold situation where the Browns had to take the easy choice in Darnold, but Baker looked better on film. Right now the media is in the phase of "absolute lock" talk, and eventually will start the "Is there doubt with the Jags?" questions. Again, this is just my opinion, but with the Meyer hire, I'm not 100% sure Lawrence will be No. 1.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Jmo - but if the Jags take Fields the Jets should run to the podium to draft Lawrence. If the Jags take Lawrence the Jets should run to the podium to take Fields. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I am going to get confused emoji/downvote responses for this, but I think he could benefit from staying a year. I could also see him being successful if he leaves now - but I think it’s largely contingent on a team going all in on his development. 

43 minutes ago, win4ever said:

It's amazing how many people want fields at 2 despite not knowing how hurt he is 

They doped him up and he played with something. 

The guy could need a ir year and we wouldn't know it 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's amazing how many people want fields at 2 despite not knowing how hurt he is 

They doped him up and he played with something. 

The guy could need a ir year and we wouldn't know it 

And yet you want Sewell who has played a total of 20 college games and none since last years bowl game.  A guy who's had shoulder labrum problems and a high ankle sprain that cost him 6 games his Freshman year. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Quick question for everyone arguing on this thread - you do realize that its a projection as to what these guys can be in years 3-10 in the league right, not what they are today or what they will be as rookies. 

I understand that Russ and Ben had enormous success in year 1 in their careers while Luck and Lamar both won over 10 games but the vast majority of these QBs are going to have a best case situation of Josh Allen or even Jared Goff (who I dont even think is that good).

JD isnt looking at Field's ability to read the field today, he is looking at whether or not he has the physical tools, character and mental processing ability to be able to read the full field in 2023.  Now, what makes his job so difficult is that 1) guessing on the above traits is very difficult, but 2) there are 100K people like us, along with the media, who want the team to win in 2021 and  see immediate results.  So what he needs is a HC/OC who can help a QB like fields with a good running game and OL and give him a playbook that focuses on his current strengths while slowly developing his skill set.  Either that or play Sam and let fields (or wilson) sit for a year.

No GM,  and certainly no one on this board, KNOWS which of these guys will make it as elite QBs, they are making their best guess but given the value of what Fields could be if he turns into an Allen/Lamar type player is why there is no way we are trading down to take a RT, even if our GM "wants to build the trenches".

I dont care if its WIlson, Lance or Fields and Im sure we will enjoy debating these guys for the next few months, but saying a guy will never be able to do it, 3 months before the draft isnt really the way these kids get evaluated.

Great post and logic, couldn’t have said it any better. Hell one could argue Sam is just as raw as a Wilson, Lance, Fields. I think as we get closer to draft day the narrative will do a complete 360 

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I think fields is the wrong qb for the jets but if fields were to stay at OSU that would hurt the trade value of the 2 pick.  I do think, for better or worse, if the new HC and douglas wanted to keep darnold for another year and traded out, atlanta would move up to 2 and let fields take over for Ryan mid season.  

It could potentially increase its value, if anyone values Wilson enough to draft him at #2. Then there's one less top 5-10 pick QB prospect in the draft. Bidding war for #2 increases if the drop from #2 to #3 is perceived to be that much greater. But only if multiple teams within striking distance do view Wilson as worth the trade-up to #2. 

I'll note that this time in 2016 Goff was projected at where, maybe #7 overall?

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And yet you want Sewell who has played a total of 20 college games and none since last years bowl game.  A guy who's had shoulder labrum problems and a high ankle sprain that cost him 6 games his Freshman year. 

That's correct I do 

Sewell has been in a safety deposit box for 9 months 

Fields is getting his ribs broken on national TV and plays with it 9 days later 

Look at fields when the game starts and just after the half. Feeling no pain 

The dude was on crazy drugs these last 2 games. We don't know what the physical damage is 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's correct I do 

The dude was on crazy drugs these last 2 games. We don't know what the physical damage is 

Ribs heal , hip pointers heal , thumbs heal.  High ankle sprains on 375# linemen are concerning . 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's correct I do 

Well he has 9 months to get ready for week 1. I’ll take my chances with him 

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

“You want to have success in the league. I think Mel’s right,” McShay said. “You don’t think (a return to college) is going to happen but I think Mel is exactly right. … He’s not there yet. If you study film and you know what you’re talking about and you know how to identify what quarterbacks are looking for and you know defensive coverages and you know how to get off your primary to secondary to third target, you can see that he’s not there yet.”

McShay on a podcast with Mel yesterday on the fact that fields is yet to declare 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nflspinzone.com/2021/01/12/new-york-jets-justin-fields-not-consolation-prize/amp/

Many different narratives out there and only Mel and Todd are saying he should stay a year. Been watching many people who break down flim and it’s the first to me I’m hearing this. 

From the article: written 1 day ago

When doing a deeper dive on the two prospects, it seems as if something’s being missed. While Trevor Lawrence is still an elite prospect, Justin Fields actually looks like the more pro-ready prospect going forward.

He utilizes multiple reads more often, accumulates more yardage with passes beyond the line of scrimmage and has shown better poise in the pocket. And it seemed as if he was hearing all of the criticisms surrounding him while his Ohio State team found themselves facing Lawrence and Clemson once again.

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well he has 9 months to get ready for week 1. I’ll take my chances with him 

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Ribs heal , hip pointers heal , thumbs heal.  High ankle sprains on 375# linemen are concerning . 

chances at 2 overall 

Chance is for a weekend run at the craps table 

This is the most significant draft pick the team has had for 2 decades, and yall are being very casual with it 

Sewell is the picture of health and he's not 375 by the way. Fields we don't even know what the injury is 

Yes ribs and hips and ankles heal but what if Fields needs surgery? Everyone is cool with a redshirt year for fields? 

Side note both TL and fields had bouts with the covid. Sewell has not. There are long term symptoms associated with the disease. Just saying. If we're going to talk health, let's talk about it 

Another point of view

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/qb-klassroom/qb-klassroom-ohio-state-qb-justin-fields-1

QB KlassRoom: Ohio State QB Justin Fields

by Derrik Klassen
January 13, 2021, 12:42 pm ET
Updated On: January 14, 2021, 1:34 am

Ohio State QB Justin Fields vs Alabama (1/11/21)
  Left Outside Left Middle Right Middle Right Outside Total
20+ 2/3 (TD)   1/1   3/4 (TD)
16-20 0/1     2/2 2/3
11-15   3/3 2/2 1/1 6/6
6-10 1/2   1/2 1/2 3/6
1-5 1/1 2/5 0/2 0/1 3/9
0   1/1 3/3   4/4
Total 4/7 (TD) 6/9 7/10 4/6 21/32 (TD)

Situational Accuracy

Outside the Pocket: 5/6 (plus 1 throwaway)
Under Pressure: 8/11 (1 TD, plus 1 throwaway)
Red Zone: 3/7 (1 TD)
3rd/4th Downs: 7/10 (4 conversions)
Forced Adjustments: 1
Explosive Plays (25+ yards and/or touchdown): 2
Throwaways: 1

As soon as Ohio State was running the ball to close out a 35-17 first half despite having over a minute and a half on the clock, the game was over. The Buckeyes called three straight runs (four, if you include the holding penalty) and treated the drive as a means of getting to the locker room faster, not as a means to potentially close the scoring gap. HC Ryan Day was waving the white flag, just as many of us would want to if facing the juggernaut that is Alabama. 

The admission of defeat in that moment was frustrating considering quarterback Justin Fields’ contributions to that point. It was not Fields’ best game by any stretch, but he was throwing well beyond 10 yards, managing the pocket well, and playing with the right balance of fearlessness and caution necessary to beat a defense such as Alabama’s. Fields’ passing ability was giving them a chance.

What’s perplexing about Fields’ performance is that the accuracy chart looks like the inverse of a typical passing performance. Shorter passes are, of course, easier for quarterbacks to hit, so most quarterbacks keep up the pace through about 10 yards, then start faltering beyond that. Fields against Alabama, on the other hand, could not find anything underneath, yet managed to fit in almost all of his throws beyond 10 yards, even if many of them were dropped. 

Some of the struggles underneath were on Fields and no one but Fields. His first pass was knocked down at the line of scrimmage. A drive later, Fields simply whiffed on the first shallow crossing route he threw, which is mind-numbing considering how common the route is in Ohio State’s offense. 

Some of Fields’ issues finding players underneath also had to do with how well Alabama was playing defense. In the red zone, for example, Fields was held to just three accurate passes on his seven attempts, in large part because Alabama had everything gloved up on most snaps. The Tide defense also did well to pressure Fields all game, which forced a couple of shallow incompletions despite Fields’ overall success vs the pressure. 

Here is a good example of Alabama’s free rusher forcing Fields to speed things up. Ohio State declares the “slide” side of their protection to the right, which means the center, guard, and tackle to that side will “zone” that area in protection. Generally that makes passing off blitzes and stunts easier. This could be decided in Ohio State’s playbook by preferring to slide to the field, away from the back, to the passing strength, or what have you. The left guard and tackle “man” the other side. However, Alabama’s defensive tackle’s “twist,” which prompts the Buckeyes left guard to try and follow him to the other side on the twist, leaving a wide open lane for the blitzing backer. 

Fields had two slightly better options on this play than what he did. One: he could have rushed the checkdown as soon as he saw the free rusher, even if he already knew the safety was rolling down. That’s not an ideal play on third-and-9, though. It could also be argued that Fields should move to the crosser from the #1 (outside) receiver from the trips side, but considering the sticky coverage there and the extra time it would take to reset and load for that throw vs the free rusher, it’s hard to argue for certain that Fields would have been better off. Alabama caught Ohio State with a good call and Fields wasn’t superhuman enough to overcome it. Happens. 

Fields’ other blips this game were a result of him trying to wish wide receivers open when they clearly were not. Both in quick game and down the field, Fields has a tendency to lock onto his first guy. For quarterbacks who are often right with their first read, it’s not as damning a flaw, but it does still hurt in the event they are wrong or the coverage is executed at a high level. To be fair to Fields, this issue did not crop up near as often as it did versus Northwestern. It still got him a couple times, though. 

That being said, Fields was more good than bad down the field. Beyond 10 yards, Fields was locked in and willing to test the Alabama defense. The Buckeyes did not find as many explosive plays as they were looking for, but there is no knocking Fields for not trying. 

Alabama starts in two-high, which they did a fair amount all game. To the field side, Ohio State has a smash concept. The outside receiver runs a hitch, while the slot receiver runs a deep corner over the top. Fields’ read to that side of the field is the low cornerback whose job is to play the difference between the corner and the flat route. The field cornerback does a wonderful job with his technique, forcing Fields off that half of the field. Since Fields knows the defense is in two-high, though, he shows no hesitation in turning back side and ripping a bender down the seam to split the deep safeties with an athletic tight end matched up on a linebacker. Getting to the back side bender like that, with that kind of placement, is some NFL stuff. 

Fields also had a few throws like this one where he drove the ball to the sideline. This back shoulder ball is about as pretty as it gets and arrives with enough velocity to not really allow the defensive back to turn and close once he realizes what is happening. Somehow, this was eventually ruled incomplete after review, but Fields delivered this ball about as well as he could have. 

By far the most impressive part of Fields’ day was how he handled pressure, though. Fields was accurate on eight-of-11 attempts when pressured, with a well-used throwaway added on top. Despite having just suffered the rib injury against Clemson (and battling through it then), Fields was fearless against an Alabama front that was beating the gold coins out of him.

Fields did not take a huge hit on this throw, but he did have to do some pocket navigation to keep himself clean. As was the case for a lot of the night, Alabama got some good pressure onto Fields via blitz. The running back thankfully picked up the free rusher just in the nick of time, giving Fields the smidgen of space he needed to step up and fire into a tight window. This is great from Fields to not fold against the free rusher, trust the running back to pick it up, and slide into open grass for a tough throw. 

Alabama sent another five-man pressure on Fields’ only touchdown pass of the day. While somewhat similar to the play where Fields is wishing his receiver open a few clips ago, Ohio State’s slot receiver does eventually work open in this instance. Fields showed the patience and fearlessness in the pocket to make the throw despite being caved in on. 

In this instance, Fields knows he absolutely has to target the sticks at all costs. The Buckeyes are down multiple scores and it’s 3rd-and-13 from their own red zone. A failed conversion here cuts Ohio State’s slim chances of a comeback all the way down to 0%. With Alabama in two-high before the snap, Fields opens with a peek at the strong safety, who rolls down while the weak safety rolls to the middle of the field. Fields knows he should have 1-on-1 on the boundary now, which prompts him to let it rip to his receiver running the stop route. Fields is undeterred by the pass-rusher breaking through to crush him and still gets the ball off perfectly. 

Ultimately, his efforts on that play did not end up mattering. The Buckeyes converted, but the drive stalled out later, cementing their fate against one of the best college football teams of all time. 

It was unfair from the start to expect any quarterback or offense to keep up with Alabama in a shootout. The Crimson Tide has consumed everything in their path this season. They have taken plenty of other elite offenses down in shootouts, such as the Florida Gators in the SEC championship. Ohio State keeping up in this one was always a long shot, especially considering how mediocre their defense had been to this point. 

And yet, Fields did his part for at least the first 40 minutes of the game, if not all of it. The Ohio State offense regularly stalled out towards the end as a result of some penalties, drops, and miscommunications, but Fields’ fearlessness was present until the final whistle. Fields put forth that effort and fearlessness while clearly nursing a rib injury against a defense that was relentlessly getting pressure on him, too. 

The National Championship was far from Fields’ best game, but it’s still a performance to be content with and not one that should have people too worried about his future. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

chances at 2 overall 

This is the most significant draft pick the team has had for 2 decades, and yall are being very casual with it 

Sewell is the picture of health and he's not 375 by the way. Fields we don't even know what the injury is 

Yes ribs and hips and ankles heal but what if Fields needs surgery? Everyone is cool with a redshirt year for fields? 

Side note both TL and fields had bouts with the covid. Sewell has not. There are long term symptoms associated with the disease. Just saying. If we're going to talk health, let's talk about it 

And how do you know that for a fact , Sewell was not playing this season so was not getting tested every week like the others.

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And how do you know that for a fact , Sewell was not playing this season so was not getting tested every week like the others.

Because we talk every day on the phone. He ate 2 chickens today for lunch 

How about you address fields health instead of playing endless what about games 

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

chances at 2 overall 

Let me ask you a question. When will this team ever get a QB?

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

It's a great question.

First off let's look at the playoffs qb. Baker and Goff are the 1 picks. Josh Allen went 5. Rodgers went 24. Brees Rd 2. Russ Rd 3. 

Why do we believe that 2 overall is the place to get a qb? Mitch trubisky went 2. Rg3 went 2. It's not a super sweet spot to get a qb. 

But let's assume that James Morgan is worthless (I'm so sorry James) and they need to draft a QB at 2.

They need to build a program first. Otherwise there's a financial decision around year 4 that becomes very difficult to make. We just lived through this with Sam

Let me answer your question with another question. What is the chances of any qb succeeding with this current roster. That's not a pro Sam question by the way. Trevor would get busted out in this town right now 

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2020 at 8:48 PM, QB1 said:

By this year you mean the northwestern game? He’s played 6 games. After 3 games he was legitimately giving Lawrence a run for the #1 pick. 1000 yards, 90% comp, 11 TDs, zero picks.

This.  Great start to the season, then a couple average/poor games against very good defenses, then a lights out performance vs. Clemson, then a meh performance while hurt against the national champions.

I'm certainly no expert on QB evaluation but I saw enough from Fields vs. very good competition to think he's a NFL starter.  Can he be an elite Top 10 kind of NFL QB eventually?  I have no idea.  But if you're a team that wants a QB he looks like the kind of guy you take a swing at in the Top 5 of a Draft.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

What are the chances of any qb succeeding with this current roster? That's not a pro Sam question by the way. 

This is the only question that matters this offseason.

And then you take the next step and realize that we're not going to completely overhaul the roster through free agency.

So you're left with building through the draft, which is the longer route, but correct one. 

We should be auctioning off the #2 to a team with a top 10 pick. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's a great question.

First off let's look at the playoffs qb. Baker and Goff are the 1 picks. Josh Allen went 5. Rodgers went 24. Brees Rd 2. Russ Rd 3. 

Why do we believe that 2 overall is the place to get a qb? Mitch trubisky went 2. Rg3 went 2. It's not a super sweet spot to get a qb. 

But let's assume that James Morgan is worthless (I'm so sorry James) and they need to draft a QB at 2.

They need to build a program first. Otherwise there's a financial decision around year 4 that becomes very difficult to make. We just lived through this with Sam

Let me answer your question with another question. What is the chances of any qb succeeding with this current roster. That's not a pro Sam question by the way. Trevor would get busted out in this town right now 

Agree with that last part wholeheartedly.  The way the roster has been the past couple years makes it difficult for anyone to really succeed, even a guy like Trevor.  Could he have won 4 games vs. Darnold's 2?  Probably, but he wasn't elevating this team to anywhere near .500.

Now, let me ask you this.  Do you think the Jets can do enough in FA and Draft to create a potentially successful environment for a QB they'd take at #2 this year?  With Becton, Crowder, Mims, McGovern, etc. in place and assuming the Jets did something like add an OG (Thuney?) and add a WR1/2 (Robinson, JuJu, Gollady, Godwin, etc.) could they take a QB prospect like Fields or Wilson, and then hit offense again at #32 and #34 (maybe an OT and either WR, RB or TE like Friermuth) to setup that rookie QB to develop successfully?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's a great question.

First of all, past history of where QBs were drafted mean nothing compared to this upcoming draft. Secondly, the roster next year we’ll be a complete upgrade over what was on the field Sams first 3 years. Thirdly, if Douglas passes on Fields or Wilson to draft Sewell and those two guys turn into studs... Douglas will lose his job. 

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I have a small insight into this, basically from what I  understand after listening to a lot of Bay Area beat writer’s and media for the last couple of days, is if we hire Robert Salah or any other HC who plans on bringing the 49ers offensive system a vet QB who already knows the system would be ideal.

Many of them are predicting the jets will draft a QB at 2 and sign a vet who knows the system already.

They also have been tossing around the possibility of a Jimmy G, Sam Darnold swap because he’s a vet who knows the system, wouldn’t be all that expensive and could be trade bait for the NYJ, if he plays well next season. 

I personally took this as the way Joe Douglas may already be leaning with the QB situation(Not including theJimmy G trade) 

I could be wrong though 

here’s a article from today about the topic: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/head-coach-hires-could-initiate-002657176.html

13 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This is the only question that matters this offseason.

And then you take the next step and realize that we're not going to completely overhaul the roster through free agency.

So you're left with building through the draft, which is the longer route, but correct one. 

We should be auctioning off the #2 to a team with a top 10 pick. 

An extra draft pick or two is not going to change that , but having a true QB to build around will speed the process up. 

• Sympathy 1