Running Backs 2021

maury77

17 hours ago, derp said:

We agree once again.

There’s the obvious 5; Harris Etienne Williams & Carter and Gainwell... then it’s a steep drop. Stevenson was right there but I thought he had a lacklustre senior bowl. Hill and Boyd both underwhelmed... Roundtree has his fans. Might be worth looking at. The only sleeper I have is Nate McCrary, a divII guy.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

There’s the obvious 5; Harris Etienne Williams & Carter and Gainwell... then it’s a steep drop. Stevenson was right there but I thought he had a lacklustre senior boy. Hill and Boyd both underwhelmed... Roundtree has his fans. Might be worth looking at. The only sleeper I have is Nate McCrary, a divII guy.  

Agreed.   I’m hoping that Etienne and Harris get pushed down the board some so that the Williams, Carter’s and Gainwells get pushed as well.  I would love it if Williams was there with the 66th pick, I think he would flourish in this new offense.  

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

There’s the obvious 5; Harris Etienne Williams & Carter and Gainwell... then it’s a steep drop. Stevenson was right there but I thought he had a lacklustre senior boy. Hill and Boyd both underwhelmed... Roundtree has his fans. Might be worth looking at. The only sleeper I have is Nate McCrary, a divII guy.  

Agreed. The Top 5 guys don’t have much downside and will be good players. Beyond them I like Jaret Patterson and Pooka Williams in the 6th round or later.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Agreed. The Top 5 guys don’t have much downside and will be good players. Beyond them I like Jaret Patterson and Pooka Williams in the 6th round or later.

I didn’t see Pooka play at all this year but when watching him last year he has tremendous acceleration.  I just worry about his size and how well he will hold up as a 175lb RB in NFL.  

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

We’re doing this are we? *rolls up sleeves*

I don’t like this class at all... 5-6 backs worth talking about and then it’s mostly forgettable. 

Its either this or we keep going with the Wilson v. Fields debate. 

I think there are 3 late round guys that could be really good fits for the outside zone system: Herbert (who I already posted), Javian Hawkins and Chuba Hubbard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I didn’t see Pooka play at all this year but when watching him last year he has tremendous acceleration.  I just worry about his size and how well he will hold up as a 175lb RB in NFL.  

He wasn’t good and then he opted out. I like his speed... the rest is a guessing game.

Call me crazy, I guess but I like this class.  I think you have a bunch of play makers, with a few that could be feature backs with some upside namely; Harris, Etienne, Hill, Stevenson.  And then a few that could be play makers, change of pace guys; Williams, Carter, Gainewell and I like Hubbard, Sermon, Williams, Herbert a little later too.

idk, dont hate it at all, a few intriguing names.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

I think there are 3 late round guys that could be really good fits for the outside zone system: Herbert (who I already posted), Javian Hawkins and Chuba Hubbard. 

Hawkins is the one player we HAVE to get in this draft. He is the most under rated back in this draft and is perfect for the Shanahan "one cut" system. It's not just his speed and amazing quickness but he has the best vision/change of direction of any back I've seen in a long time. Opposing defenses would have to game plan for him each week as he literally has the ability to take it to the house on every play. He is also under rated as a pass catcher as he was seldom asked to play a  receiver role under the Louisville system.

How long has it been since the Jets had a real offensive threat like this guy?

I'm putting my name on this one.... do it JD!!!!

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   I’m hoping that Etienne and Harris get pushed down the board some so that the Williams, Carter’s and Gainwells get pushed as well.  I would love it if Williams was there with the 66th pick, I think he would flourish in this new offense.  

You don't think Carter would be the better fit over Williams?  I thought Williams was more a power back while Carter is the more shifty all around RB. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, maury77 said:

9 hours ago, JiF said:

Call me crazy, I guess but I like this class.  I think you have a bunch of play makers, with a few that could be feature backs with some upside namely; Harris, Etienne, Hill, Stevenson.  And then a few that could be play makers, change of pace guys; Williams, Carter, Gainewell and I like Hubbard, Sermon, Williams, Herbert a little later too.

idk, dont hate it at all, a few intriguing names.

6 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

Hawkins is the one player we HAVE to get in this draft. He is the most under rated back in this draft and is perfect for the Shanahan "one cut" system. It's not just his speed and amazing quickness but he has the best vision/change of direction of any back I've seen in a long time. Opposing defenses would have to game plan for him each week as he literally has the ability to take it to the house on every play. He is also under rated as a pass catcher as he was seldom asked to play a  receiver role under the Louisville system.

How long has it been since the Jets had a real offensive threat like this guy?

I'm putting my name on this one.... do it JD!!!!

I spend a bit time tonight looking at some of those common mid round guys. Didn’t like them 

Hawkins - won’t survive in the NFL. Lacks the suddenness and physicality of an Eckler. Will get door matted. Wanders far too much.  UDFA

chuba - nothing about him is pro caliber. Donald Brown at best. Rnd 6-7

Herbert - no contact balance, questionable vision. Burst but Only gets what’s blocked feels like. Nothing special rnd 6-7. Shanny system doesn’t require a huge burst per say, but vision is a must. 

*Shrugs*. Wouldn’t draft any of them. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I spend a bit time tonight looking at some of those common mid round guys. Didn’t like them 

Hawkins - won’t survive in the NFL. Lacks the suddenness and physicality of an Eckler. Will get door matted. Wanders far too much.  UDFA

Herbert - no contact balance, questionable vision. Burst but Only gets what’s blocked feels like. Nothing special rnd 6-7. Shanny system doesn’t require a huge burst per say, but vision is a must. 

It's been awhile but I tend to agree with your assessment of these players. I finally watched a bit of Hawkins and don't care for him, never liked Chuba but I still think you're underrating him. He might even be a fit for what we want to do.

I still want Harris but I love Stevenson. He's tough, has great vision, is slippery for a big guy, and he has a burst. He's gonna run in the 4.45ish range and doesn't have many miles. He reminds me a bit of Leveon Bell when Bell was actually good.....he's very deliberate in reading his blocking scheme and then accelerates and has a sweet spin move for the icing on the cake.. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RobR said:

It's been awhile but I tend to agree with your assessment of these players. I finally watched a bit of Hawkins and don't care for him, never liked Chuba but I still think you're underrating him. He might even be a fit for what we want to do.

I still want Harris but I love Stevenson. He's tough, has great vision, is slippery for a big guy, and he has a burst. He's gonna run in the 4.45ish range and doesn't have many miles. He reminds me a bit of Leveon Bell when Bell was actually good.....he's very deliberate in reading his blocking scheme and then accelerates and has a sweet spin move for the icing on the cake.. 

Stevenson looks unstoppable at times but  haven’t gotten around to watching enough yet.  Disappointed he wasn’t a hot name at the senior bowl. Pretty quiet. 

id love to be wrong about my Alberta native, but Hubbard looks like he’s tapped out talent wise. Plays smart tho, so who knows. Reminds me of a more athletically limited Arian Foster. Same moves, especially at the second level. Might not be enough ponies under the hood tho. 

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

It’s hard not to gush With Stevenson sometimes.... Larry Johnson out there. Keep waiting for the catch 22. You were a D. Foreman fan weren’t you? I had a hard time with him.  

I would be impressed if this werent Florida and the bowl game. lol

Nah, kidding, I like Stevenson.  Smooth runner, elusive with burst.  

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

It’s hard not to gush With Stevenson sometimes.... Larry Johnson out there. Keep waiting for the catch 22. You were a D. Foreman fan weren’t you? I had a hard time with him.  

Given his character concerns I doubt this a guy JD looks at.   How do you fail a drug before the College Football playoffs when you know it’s coming?  

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

I don't remember ever having an opinion on D Foreman. What I like most about Stevenson is that he reads his blocks and then explodes which would be a perfect fit for our offense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Given his character concerns I doubt this a guy JD looks at.   How do you fail a drug before the College Football playoffs when you know it’s coming?  

He drafted Becton and he failed his drug test at the combine.

47 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

True, was Becton a diluted sample or just a fail?  

I'm not sure but weed is just about fully accepted in the NFL today. Is it stupid that they failed the test when they knew they were going to be tested.....absolutely, and that deserves looking into. 

On 2/15/2021 at 10:51 PM, Paradis said:

I wanted to like chuba so much, but every time I watch him i just cant do it, he's got nothing to his game except for speed. 

• Upvote 2