Pats get rid of McGinest

faba

Team gains room under new cap

By Ron Borges and Jerome Solomon, Globe Staff | March 9, 2006

GRAPEVINE, Texas -- Only minutes after the NFL's owners voted 30-2 to extend the collective bargaining agreement six years, the Patriots ended their 12-year agreement with all-time postseason sack leader Willie McGinest, according to one NFL personnel director last night.

Article Tools

• McGinest's name popped up on the wire of vested veterans who had been released in cost-cutting moves almost immediately after the CBA extension was announced around 8:35 p.m.

Although the Patriots were not struggling to get under the new cap figure of $102 million, McGinest carried a prohibitive salary cap figure of more than $7 million for next season, a number he told the Globe a week ago he felt would surely result in him becoming a free agent unless the team chose to rework his deal.

Although the Patriots reportedly remain hopeful of signing McGinest, league sources said last night that the Cleveland Browns, San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys, and several other teams intend to explore signing McGinest, who last year became the all-time postseason sack leader (16), passing Hall of Famer Reggie White (12) and Bruce Smith (14 1/2).

McGinest, 34, started all 18 games last season and ranks third on the team's all-time sacks list (78), just 1 1/2 behind Julius Adams. Andre Tippett tops the chart with 100 sacks.

McGinest was second on the team with six sacks during the regular season (trailing Rosevelt Colvin's seven) and set an NFL playoff record with 4 1/2 sacks in the Patriots' 28-3 wild-card win over Jacksonville Jan. 7.

Although McGinest told the Globe in an exclusive interview last week that he would like nothing better than to finish his career with the Patriots, he was also excited about the possibility of exploring the free agent market for the first time. It is the same situation veteran wide receiver Troy Brown found himself in a year ago, when he was offered more money to play for New Orleans than he received to return to New England.

After much soul searching, Brown said he listened to the pleadings of his family and returned to New England. Now McGinest may find himself facing a similar pull -- the battle between a financial decision and a heartfelt one.

With the free agency period expected to begin at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, the money under the cap will play a role in what the Patriots do with their two most important free agents -- kicker Adam Vinatieri and wideout David Givens. Negotiations have been slow with both players, as the Patriots have been reluctant to make any long-term deals because of the labor uncertainty.

It is the same situation veteran wide receiver Troy Brown found himself in a year ago, when he was offered more money to play for New Orleans than he received to return to New England.

After much soul searching, Brown said he listened to the pleadings of his family and returned to New England.

Smart players will always take less money to play for a model franchise that always wins, like the Patriots.

Let's see if Willie is smart or just greedy.

sorry tx but your storied franchise is on the decline. Folks just aren't gonna buy into belly's bs lines that you should be honored to play for peanuts cause we're the pats anymore. The only saving grace for pats is the afce east is a weak division at the moment. i see willie moving on

sorry tx but your storied franchise is on the decline. Folks just aren't gonna buy into belly's bs lines that you should be honored to play for peanuts cause we're the pats anymore. The only saving grace for pats is the afce east is a weak division at the moment. i see willie moving on

I tend to agree with you willy.

McGinist has already won 3 Super Bowls with the Pats and this could be his last big payday opportunity in the NFL. I think he ends up elsewhere next season.

With the extra $10 mil in cap money, hopefully the Pats can work out deals with AV and Givens.

Name another team in the NFL that has won 3 consectutive division titles and Super Bowl titles 3 times in the last 5 years?

In today's NFL, that's as close to winning "always" as they come.;)

I would have thought that you would just consider last season a total loss, as they lost in the Divisional round.

Congrats on the AFC East

I tend to agree with you willy.

McGinist has already won 3 Super Bowls with the Pats and this could be his last big payday opportunity in the NFL. I think he ends up elsewhere next season.

With the extra $10 mil in cap money, hopefully the Pats can work out deals with AV and Givens.

or maybe they can go after ty law

:) :)

seriously, what are the pats looking for with their 1st couple of draft picks & free agency.

....If McGinest goes anywhere, it will be Cleveland. Adam is heading to Dallas ;)

My heart tells me that McGinest is back in the fold next season, however. Not true of Givens and Vinatieri, who will surely land elsewhere. McGinest has many other, money making, business ventures. He is a well known, and well respected member of the Boston community - his charitable endeavors are always a huge success. McGinest's biggest impact is in the lockerroom - where is his viewed as God-like by the younger members of the Patriots. (although the vets are numerous: Bruschi, Brady, Harrison, Vrable) By all accounts, it is McGinest who preaches, most loudly, the company lines of: TEAM FIRST, STOP PIMPING TO THE MEDIA, NO WHINING. If the Pats do not re-sign McGinest, whomever does get his services is one lucky team.

Somewhere Peyton Manning is crossing his fingers.....

:) :)

seriously, what are the pats looking for with their 1st couple of draft picks & free agency.

I believe the Pats first couple draft picks need to focus on RB/LB's.

Depending on what happens with the Givens situation, a FA WR might be in the cards.

Name another team in the NFL that has won 3 consectutive division titles and Super Bowl titles 3 times in the last 5 years?

In today's NFL, that's as close to winning "always" as they come.;)

First sign that the run is over is when the fans start giving history lessons.

....If McGinest goes anywhere, it will be Cleveland. Adam is heading to Dallas ;)

My heart tells me that McGinest is back in the fold next season, however. Not true of Givens and Vinatieri, who will surely land elsewhere. McGinest has many other, money making, business ventures. He is a well known, and well respected member of the Boston community - his charitable endeavors are always a huge success. McGinest's biggest impact is in the lockerroom - where is his viewed as God-like by the younger members of the Patriots. (although the vets are numerous: Bruschi, Brady, Harrison, Vrable) By all accounts, it is McGinest who preaches, most loudly, the company lines of: TEAM FIRST, STOP PIMPING TO THE MEDIA, NO WHINING. If the Pats do not re-sign McGinest, whomever does get his services is one lucky team.

Somewhere Peyton Manning is crossing his fingers.....

As well, I think he understands the value of free parking and complimentary drinks and desserts

Smart players will always take less money to play for a model franchise that always wins, like the Patriots.

Let's see if Willie is smart or just greedy.

Yes and he did just that. Now that the winning is over he is smart again because he is looking for a new team.

Tx...it is over man. It was a nice ride. But it is over. You need to take off these rose colored glasses. Brady is a nice player. But without Charlie it will just never be the same.

As well, I think he understands the value of free parking and complimentary drinks and desserts

You just don't get it smart-a@@......

that certainly would not be why someone stays.....but if Adam thinks he will be GOD in Dallas....well, he would be mistaken. I also highly doubt he will be pimping local products. While watching TV in the Boston area - I can count on one hand how many AV commercials I see in one evening:

1) The Papa Gino's "It's Good" campaign.

2) Bernie and Phil's "Dream" living room set campaign.

3) Ford Trucks! On the Route One - the Automile!!!

4) Local McDonald's "I'm Lovin' It" commercial.

that certainly would not be why someone stays.....but if Adam thinks he will be GOD in Dallas....well, he would be mistaken. I also highly doubt he will be pimping local products. While watching TV in the Boston area - I can count on one hand how many AV commercials I see in one evening:

I was agreeing with you.

Touchy, touchy.

Pats could bring back Willie. There's no heat between both sides. McGinest knew that The Pats weren't going to pony up that dummy money.

While most teams try and stay clear of aging veterans. McGinest is the exception to the rule because alot of teams know that he can help be a general and leader for them. I am not surprised that several teams have interest in him. He's a clutch player on the field and a big leader.

i thought the only commercials in boson area were for Lobstah shacks, ACLU, AA and Car river dredging services.

Pats could bring back Willie. There's no heat between both sides. McGinest knew that The Pats weren't going to pony up that dummy money.

While most teams try and stay clear of aging veterans. McGinest is the exception to the rule because alot of teams know that he can help be a general and leader for them. I am not surprised that several teams have interest in him. He's a clutch player on the field and a big leader.

Agree. I believe Willie was even on record saying this years figure was just a ghost number in his contract and he always knew he'd never receive it.

I think he and AV return to be honest.

...SJ, you haven't been to Boston in a while, eh?

That ACLU crap may still be around, but it's Biotech, education, furniture, high end restaurants, sushi and the auto-mile!

Seriously, it's getting RIDICULOUS in Boston. Even more high-end condo's and townhomes being built near the waterfront. Starting price? 2.2 million.

...SJ, you haven't been to Boston in a while, eh?

That ACLU crap may still be around, but it's Biotech, education, furniture, high end restaurants, sushi and the auto-mile!

Seriously, it's getting RIDICULOUS in Boston. Even more high-end condo's and townhomes being built near the waterfront. Starting price? 2.2 million.

problem is , no matter how hard you try, you cant polish a turd

TurdPolish2.jpg

...well, they sure try and it is shiney as all get out. Big Dig is finally OVER! Central Artery is gone! Bad news: part of the walk-way park that is being put in it's place, is being called "The Rose Kennedy Garden" Bleh!!!

Truly - Boston is beautiful. But, I agree that: the winter weather sucks, traffc blows, it's too expensive and the liberal politics drives most "normal" people bannanas. Oh...and yes, Cambridge is still here (insert puke smiley)

...well, they sure try and it is shiney as all get out. Big Dig is finally OVER! Central Artery is gone! Bad news: part of the walk-way park that is being put in it's place, is being called "The Rose Kennedy Garden" Bleh!!!

Truly - Boston is beautiful. But, I agree that: the winter weather sucks, traffc blows, it's too expensive and the liberal politics drives most "normal" people bannanas. Oh...and yes, Cambridge is still here (insert puke smiley)

actually i like Cambridge, taught there for a few years

Archived