Home vs. Road

slimjasi

At Home:

Record: 2-1 (not counting London game)

Outscored by opponents: 80-67

On the Road:

Record: 0-3 (not counting London game)

Outscored by opponents: 99-27

To me, this is the defining characteristic of this team so far. How does this young coaching staff get this young team to compete on the road? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pichula said:

Correlation does not equal causation. I say that because I can’t imagine what makes playing on the road so much harder than at home. 

Well, from decades of NFL and NCAA football games, we know that playing on the road is, on average, harder than playing at home. Why is an interesting, nuanced question with a lot of potential answers. 

You don't get 3 points for home field in Vegas just for kicks. 

• Upvote 3

Jets are 9-34 in their last 43 road games with an average MOV of -12.2. Jets win on the road 20.9% of the time. Nobody in the NFL has been worse on the road than the Jets since 2016. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trends/ats_trends/?range=yearly_since_2016

In 2021 the Jets road futility (0-3, MOV -24) is only eclipsed by the Texans, who are 0-4 on the road with an MOV of -26. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trends/win_trends/?sc=is_away

Cast all that aside as we enter the Mike F-ing White era.

37 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Correlation does not equal causation. I say that because I can’t imagine what makes playing on the road so much harder than at home. 

Crowd noise on offense.  It may not be as much of an issue for opponents in our stadium until we start to fill the palce again, but it can have an impact on a young QB on the road.  May be a lot harder to hear the snap count and/or it could be tougher on a young QB to have to go to a silent count.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Well, from decades of NFL and NCAA football games, we know that playing on the road is, on average, harder than playing at home. Why is an interesting, nuanced question with a lot of potential answers. 

You don't get 3 points for home field in Vegas just for kicks. 

Crowd noise, the fact you had to travel there, home team gets multiple calls thrown their way(unless it is the Jets at home).

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Lith said:

Crowd noise on offense.  It may not be as much of an issue for opponents in our stadium until we start to fill the palce again, but it can have an impact on a young QB on the road.  May be a lot harder to hear the snap count and/or it could be tougher on a young QB to have to go to a silent count.

Crowd noise can also affect the referees too ... it's easier to keep a flag in your pocket when 100 fans are screaming at you than when 50,000 are screaming at you. Hence the "home calls" advantage that most teams seem to get (some more than others ;-) ).

Plus the potential disruption / fatigue from long flights and living out of temporary accommodation and training facilities for a few days, being away from family and home environment ... all little things that can add up.

• Upvote 1