Official JN Mock Draft Discussion Thread

Smizzy

LenDale White ... without a doubt

You did the right thing, moses ... I love Hali and especially love the value at 22, but White is a BIG/SKILLED Northeast type of Power Back who ranks higher than Hali on my board

If you took Hali and White was on the board, I'd have taken him in a New York Minute

All I needed to know.;)

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bull****!

Drafting for need is the fast track to the cellar. You can never go wrong drafting the best player available. Between injuries and free agency you can never have enough depth.

If you draft for need above talent you are reaching. Drafting a player a few spots ealy to fill a hole is fine as long as the opportunity to take a better player is limited.

With Vince Young (possibly a top 5 pick) available at pick # 19 I am very happy with my pick. If I can find a QB as good as him late in the first round I have every confidence that I can find good players later in the draft to fill my holes.

I see your point, but I had the Falcons. There was no way I drafting Vince Young even though he was BAP ahead of White and Hali, who were my number two and number three (I made my list based on my 15th spot, of course).

You know what makes me feel great about my pick other then as Ham said, meeting value and need perfectly? The fact that everyone and their brother had their eye on Watson, thanks for putting a bigger smile on my face everyone.

:)

Not to me.. but he may have to Smizzy or Faba. I did PM him, to let him know he was on the clock, though. If he did jet, this would be the third time it's happened.

JonEJet did not send me his picks so we need for him to get back online or if Smizzy has them

Fair enough...you think more of Taylor than I do. I didn't think he was worth passing on a Franchise back. I'm not the only one who felt RB was a need for Vikings;take a look at every single draft site on the web.

I felt he was the best value and filled what i felt was a need for that particular team. Need based picking is not the one true theory for the draft.

This is where I have the biggest problem with what you said. You disagree with the picks...fine,I don't care if you don't like that I chose Williams or SD took Young. I can even see why you disagree. But I worked as hard on this as you probably have. Who the hell are you to tell me essentially I wasted my,your,and everyone else's time because you don't like who I picked.

As for needs elsewhere,thats why teams get multiple picks in a draft rather than just that first rounder. Are you gonna say I wasted another pick if I take a LB in the 2nd round when you think that Safety was a bigger need?

Well,I don't think that I completely ignored the teams needs,but I guess what I think doesn't matter.

I believe the point was to have fun and discuss the draft...I could be wrong. Maybe you are right;maybe we are supposed to take it way too seriously and insult the people who make picks we disagree with.

Well, I didn't mean to get you so pissed off, and the TWO teams comment wasn't quite accurate as it relates to your pick of Williams. If the Vikes had not signed Taylor, I think your pick would be fine, and most of those mocks that had him going to Minnesota were before the Taylor signing.

Having said that, would it have made sense if I took White for the Rams? Or Williams? I don't think so, but it would have been using the same strategy as you did. For instance, I think the Rams are making a mistake by putting Witherspoon at MLB, when he's better on the outside, but I went with what the team's stated strategy was, and didn't look for an inside backer, even though I don't agree with Linehan's decision to play 'Spoon there. You might not like Taylor, but it's clear that the Vikings do, but since you don't agree, you ignored that, and went in a direction that the Vikings are highly unlikely to follow.

I'm also not sure that Williams is a very good fit in the WCO, but that is one reason they really like Taylor.... he is one of the best recieving RB's in the NFL, perfect for the WCO, and is a very good pass blocker.

So, yeah, I think both the Young and Williams picks were "favorite player" picks. I didn't mean to attack you, and I didn't, I did say that I think your pick ignored team needs. The Vikings have gaping holes at RT, ROG, and MLB.... Cowart is no cover 2 MLB. Greenway would help that defense tremendously. Plus, how is Birk? Is he healthy? If not, they need a center too. Ol picks aren't sexy, but if there was a team that could use a RT in the first round, it's Minny. Greenway would shore up that defense especially in the cover two tremedously.

So, I didn't say you wasted your, mine, and everyone else's time at all, relax. Feel free to rip my picks.... I have no probelm with that. I'll be happy to explain my reasoning. BAP is not always a good argument, especially when there are need players ranked very closely. Detroit went BAP last year, and got a WR they didn't need and didn't help them.

PS: OI realise Greenway is gone, insert Carpenter.

Detroit went BAP last year, and got a WR they didn't need and didn't help them.

And how! :lol:

Well... now that I look at it

Year Team G Rec Yds Y/G Avg Lng YAC 1st DTD KRYds Avg Long TD PRYds Avg Long TD Fum FumL

2005-06 Detroit 14 29 350 25.0 12.1 49 3.9 20 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2

He didn't do all that bad last yaer. He was third on the team in receiving. Not that bad for a rookie.

Year Team G Rec Yds Y/G Avg Lng YAC 1st DTD KRYds Avg Long TD PRYds Avg Long TD Fum FumL

He didn't do all that bad last yaer. He was third on the team in receiving. Not that bad for a rookie.

I never said he was a bad WR.... but did he make that team better than a need pick would have? I don't think so, but one can argue the point.

I never said he was a bad WR.... but did he make that team better than a need pick would have? I don't think so, but one can argue the point.

No, that team would have been bad... even if they drafted Jesus Christ to play QB, Moses to play RB, and having Buddah as the feared MLB.

He was third on the team when the #1 guy (Roy Williams) was injured half the year and the #2 guy (Charles Rogers) was suspended. Then the #4 guy (Kevin Johnson) leapfrogged him until he went down for the year, after which the #5 guy (Scott Vines) jumped ahead him as well.

Now it sounds like he sucks ass. My work here is through.

He was third on the team when the #1 guy (Roy Williams) was injured half the year and the #2 guy (Charles Rogers) was suspended. Then the #4 guy (Kevin Johnson) leapfrogged him until he went down for the year, after which the #5 guy (Scott Vines) jumped ahead him as well.

Now it sounds like he sucks ass. My work here is through.

Yeah... and, lest we forget, a team coached by Steve Marriucci, who wasn't good for the talent on the team. And, despite everything, not being on the field, being fifth on the depth chart, and all that, he still managed 29 catches for 350 yards. Which, if you remember, is respectable for a rookie. I'm sorry you don't see it that way.

Having said that, would it have made sense if I took White for the Rams? Or Williams? I don't think so, but it would have been using the same strategy as you did.

I don't personally think that is a good comparison. The Rams took Stephen Jackson with a first round pick just recently. The Vikings signed Taylor a few days ago to replace Michael Bennett for depth. I really don't think they would pass on a franchise back like Williams because they have Chester Taylor and Mwelde Moore. Imagine if the Jets had the #1 pick and passed on Reggie Bush because they have Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston.

So, yeah, I think both the Young and Williams picks were "favorite player" picks. I didn't mean to attack you, and I didn't, I did say that I think your pick ignored team needs. The Vikings have gaping holes at RT, ROG, and MLB.... Cowart is no cover 2 MLB. Greenway would help that defense tremendously. Plus, how is Birk? Is he healthy? If not, they need a center too. Ol picks aren't sexy, but if there was a team that could use a RT in the first round, it's Minny. Carpenter would shore up that defense especially in the cover two tremedously.

So, I didn't say you wasted your, mine, and everyone else's time at all, relax. Feel free to rip my picks.... I have no probelm with that. I'll be happy to explain my reasoning. BAP is not always a good argument, especially when there are need players ranked very closely. Detroit went BAP last year, and got a WR they didn't need and didn't help them.

The main disagreement between us is how I and the Vikings view Taylor. I see him as depth and a change of pace back,you see him as at least a platoon starter (something they've had going since Robert Smith retired),and as far as how the Vikings see him,this is the quote I pulled of their site

the Vikings look for Taylor to add depth and competition at the running back position.
sounds to me like they signed him for the same reason the Jets signed Blaylock last year,only the Vikings don't have their Curtis Martin yet.

Maybe I did overreact to your saying I "wasted the pick" and I apologize if I did, but I still believe that Williams is the best pick at that spot for the Vikings.

I was under the assumption that we were supposed to do this draft as if we were the GM of that team,and not to predict what that team will do. If I was the GM of the Vikings, I would not pass on Deangelo Williams because I signed Chester Taylor.

Of all the team message board for this arguement it is ironic that a Jets messageboard would have so many posters disputing BAP.

In 2000, the Jets had four first rounders and many needs. After using their first two picks on Abe and Ellis they were looking for a WR (remember we just traded Keyshawn and Cherbet was our only decent WR). Rather than draft a WR for need they took Chad Pennington. Vinny Testverde had several years left on a monster contract and his last full game before the draft was the AFC Championship game in 1998.

Bottom line is that we got Laverneous Coles in round three and got an MVP caliber season from Chad in 2002. If anyone should appreciate the value of a franchise QB it should be a Jets fan.

Personally... I'm just not a fan of drafting QB's in the first. I'm not saying it was a bad pick, far from it. If you were running the Chargers and that's what you wanted, then you got a steal. Like TBJ said, the Lions did the WR thing three years in a row. It didn't quite work out for them. BAP is good, if it's really the best player avalible. And, there's no arguing that you felt Vince Young was the BAP, at the time of the pick.

Personally... I'm just not a fan of drafting QB's in the first. I'm not saying it was a bad pick, far from it. If you were running the Chargers and that's what you wanted, then you got a steal. Like TBJ said, the Lions did the WR thing three years in a row. It didn't quite work out for them. BAP is good, if it's really the best player avalible. And, there's no arguing that you felt Vince Young was the BAP, at the time of the pick.

And what about Deangelo Williams? What is your opinion of my pick?

And what about Deangelo Williams? What is your opinion of my pick?

Honestly? He's a good back, but I don't think it's what the Vikings need. But, if you're running the Vikings, and that's what you want, then more power to you. If I was GM of the Queens, I wouldn't have taken Williams. And, to that, if I was the Chargers GM, I wouldn't have taken VY.

Honestly? He's a good back, but I don't think it's what the Vikings need. But, if you're running the Vikings, and that's what you want, then more power to you. If I was GM of the Queens, I wouldn't have taken Williams. And, to that, if I was the Chargers GM, I wouldn't have taken VY.

They don't need a RB? really? They have one of the best Olines in football with the addition of hutch (Mckinnie,Hutch,Birk) and a doper and a lazy scrub on the roster.

They need a RB.

They don't need a RB? really? They have one of the best Olines in football with the addition of hutch (Mckinnie,Hutch,Birk) and a doper and a lazy scrub on the roster.

They need a RB.

No... I don't think they do. They've got a few back there, already. And they signed that Chester Taylor cat too.

No... I don't think they do. They've got a few back there, already. And they signed that Chester Taylor cat too.

They signed another career back up? sweet. Why pass on legit RB because they have 3 scrubs on the bench? Im sure they have mor epressing needs but it's not a horrible pick.

Archived