Defensive Scheme (part XII)

BCJet

If the 2022 Jets Draft does not produce at least 4 solid contributors like the current one did, OR if the Jets 2022 Defense is one of the worst in the NFL again, I think the Johnsons clean house of both JD and Saleh.  

That is ignoring Zach Wilson.  I do think they cobble together Plans B/C/D in case Wilson stumbles (Mike White-not Josh Johnson, not Joe Flacco). 

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think they just want pass rush.  Maybe safety, I'm not sure.  I think they look to fill corner with traits guys and train them up.  I think they just want LB that can run, but everything will be predicated on pass rush.  I'm no expert, but those are my guesses.  Meanwhile, one of Maccagnan's few hits, Fatukasi, is a pending FA and I'm betting he gets more money and love elsewhere.  That will hurt our run D even more.

I really think safety and off ball LB are premium positions in this defense.  

Now, the good thing is that if the rest of the league does not value the above positions as much, you should be able to draft/sign those players at a value for the team but at the same time, you have to find elite players at those spots.  This is why I think Hamilton is really going to be a target in the first round for the Jets.  Figuring out who to pair him with is a different problem though as I dont see Davis as a SS.

I must admit a terrible urge to put my fingers in my ears and chant "na na na na" like a four year old when I hear the word "system". There is no issue in having a base philosophy but in my opinion you must adjust to your players and devise a scheme that maximizes the skills of what we have. Our personnel in no way fit Saleh's "system" yet he insists on running out. It's break the TV frustrating.
And LaFleur is doing the same thing. He puts in White and runs an offense to mazimize his potential, Zach comes back he insists on stuffing him into a poorly fit box.
I feel as low on hope as I have in a while.,

Yes I’m so mad that LaFleur only saves the good plays for Mike White.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

20 hours ago, BCJet said:

This is the part I dont agree with.  When you go out and state that you want your DL to penetrate and create havoc in the backfield,  you are essentially setting them up to be trapped and countered not to mention susceptible to screens and thats what has happened.  Yes our LBs suck but we do have mosley and two DL in Foley and QW who were absolutely dominant against the run and now are average at best.  That cannot be on the LBs.

Again this comes back to the different basic kinds of defenses. Somewhat of a schematic scheme is not a defense. It is word vomit. This defense doesn't use run blitzes, where the linebackers are going to a predetermined gap, like Gregg Williams did. It uses run fills. They have to anticipate, read, react, and flow to the right gap.

The line's responsibilities are also different. In a two-gap front, or hybrid fronts like Williams mostly used, linemen are supposed to shed double-teams because they're responsible for the gaps on either side of their guy, not just the one between the guys who are doubling them. In a one-gap defense, getting doubled and staying doubled is usually mission accomplished. Same thing when they shoot the gap and over-pursue instead of staying home.

It is on the linebackers. It's easier to identify individual wins and losses on plays in the passing game than it is against the run.

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Are there any teams with a Top 10 defense but a Bottom 10 offense in the NFL?

Great question. Only 2 of the the top 10 Ds in points/game or yards per game can be found in the bottom 10 for Os in points/game or yards/game - Carolina and Chicago. And if you look at time of possession, only one is in the bottom 10 - Chicago which is ranked 23 and only 8 seconds out of 22nd place (which would take them out of the bottom 10). Carolina is ranked 12 in time of possession.

I’m sure there is some element of a “chicken and egg” factor i.e. the Os do better because the D gets the ball back for them, but an O has to convert some first downs to do well in time of possession.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:21 AM, BCJet said:

I really think safety and off ball LB are premium positions in this defense.  

Now, the good thing is that if the rest of the league does not value the above positions as much, you should be able to draft/sign those players at a value for the team but at the same time, you have to find elite players at those spots.  This is why I think Hamilton is really going to be a target in the first round for the Jets.  Figuring out who to pair him with is a different problem though as I dont see Davis as a SS.

When drafting in the top ten you always have to go with value. No way the Jet draft a LB in the top 10. There just isn't one worth taking that high. Maybe in Rd. 2. Maybe is some trade down scenario. I also highly doubt they take a Safety. Yes, Hamilton is the one guy who seems to have everyone talking and if he blows up the combine he may get top 10 consideration. Simmons went 8th in 2020, so there is def. precedent for a freakishly athletic safety to go that early. But I just don't see either of those positions representing top value at our first round selections. 

Theres a good chance Hutchinson or Thibodeaux fall to the Jets at 4 (or they move up to 3). No way the Jets pass up the opportunity to pair Lawson with one of those Pass Rushers while still having JFM and QW on the line. 

With the Seattle pick they could go in a couple of directions. Again, Hamilton may be a consideration. But I think the Jets will continue to build the O-line and target a versatile plug and play lineman like Ekwonu, who can play G or T but would really be suited to step in as long time starter at G.   

Safety and LB are indeed critical in this scheme but I don't see the Jets addressing them with their 2 selections in the top 10 of the draft.