Deeper than usual dive into Zachs struggles.

Jet_Engine1

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Zach Wilson parlayed the combination of a Covid year, a truncated season against weak competition along with a bad pro team with an unproven GM that desperately needed to find a QB after they blew their chance at picking the one they really wanted into $30 million.

Good for him, bad for the Jets. 

At the very least you saw tape of an extremely accurate QB, with a strong arm who could effortlessly hit any receiver who was wide open in stride.  Now you witness him dirting the ball half way from a wide open receiver in the backfield who is only 30 feet away.

The windows get much tighter in the NFL of course but no one questioned that he would hit open receivers consistently, which was the argument against any fear about drafting him....very sad at this point.

I do think most of it is mental.  Kid is trying to do too much.  Obviously injuries got the whole team has been an issue including ZW who missed some time.  But the struggles he is ha I guess are definitely fixable which is good news.  I think once he just relaxes and let’s it rip we will see much more consistency.  I always felt it was going to take him a year to get comfortable anyway 

21 hours ago, freestater said:

Gee. Its almost as if it did matter that he was playing against Eastern Wyoming Culinary Institute and the like, and not versus elite, power 5 opponents. 

You forget that same small school produced 2 SB winning QB's.... Not that Zach will do that, just pointing out that it's not the school they play for, it's the person who is playing.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

This isn’t aging well…

I guess i have to explain how the NFL works. When you draft second, you draft for potential…you dont draft guys who are considered “safe” picks, that will likely end up being average to above average. Was enough for me to see Jones miss long throws on both his pro days to know he wasn’t being drafted top 10. 

What if he was missing on purpose to get drafted later.  Which means a better team?

22 hours ago, Bugg said:

The reasons for not drafting a productive and successful QB at #2 is....? He was too successful at Bama? Too good a supporting cast? Did it against actual SEC soon to be  NFL talent? Instead let's reach for a tiny guy with poor mechanics and playing against future garbage ment and stockbrokers? Huge example of groupthink among scouts, buying into a story,a  find, isntead of just buying the sensible chalk pick. 

No the reason that he was the LAST QB taken, that everyone else who needed a QB passed on his was because he has the least physical talent of every QB taken ahead of him.  May not work out but thats the reasoning.  No one outside of message boards are flipping a guy with more physical tools for one with fewer because he played the SEC.  

Using your logic Mahomes wouldnt have been taken in the top 10.  Small school and horrible mechanics

• Post of the Week 1