3 first-round NFL draft prospects who are perfect for Jets’ defensive scheme

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think a lot will depend on how he measures at the combine.  He is listed a 6'0" 225.  If he measures smaller than that, then no, I don't see him as a top 10 pick.  I love the kid, think he will probably run sub 4.5, his ability to read plays and react is elite.  Takes good angles, very good pass defender, but I don't see an LB who may be sub 6'0" as a top 10 pick.

If he measures at above 6' and say 230 lbs, then lets go get our Darius Leonard.

I think Hamilton is a more likely reach for the Jets in round 1 than Dean. I would be all over him in round 2 but i don't think he will fall that far. Really want a WR with our other round 1 pick.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed, although Leonard measured 6’2” 235 at the combine, he has more length than Dean does, but Leonard did t run sub 4.7.   

Yup.  Was thinking more position than height.  So lets go get our Lavonte David, then. 

There has been so much talk about LB not being a premium position, but Micah Parsons is a lock for Defensive ROY, and is a player of the year candidate.  Leonard is a dominant game changing defender.  Lavonte David, Demario Davis, Bobby Wagner.  All great game changing LBers.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Those Georgia DL are interesting cases. Are they that good because they’re just that good, or are they that good because they play next to Davis? 

Davis usually only plays about 50% of our snaps (which is something that could concern NFL scouts).  But it does mean the other guys have had plenty of reps when they are not playing alongside Davis.  I think they are that good, but I am biased.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I think Hamilton is a more likely reach for the Jets in round 1 than Dean. I would be all over him in round 2 but i don't think he will fall that far. Really want a WR with our other round 1 pick.

I would be fine with Hamilton. 

I would rather us take an elite payer at what is not a traditional "top 10" position (safety or LB) than reach for a guy who is not a top 10 talent because he plays a premium position. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Davis usually only plays about 50% of our snaps (which is something that could concern NFL scouts).  But it does mean the other guys have had plenty of reps when they are not playing alongside Davis.  I think they are that good, but I am biased.

Where would you take Davis. He's a beast but his stamina cis concerning. Is he Vita Vea?

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So Joe Douglas tell us about your first four picks of the draft.

"We'll we were going to keep to the plan and keep building the offense that we have neglected for 10 years, but then our defense was was stink bad under our new defensive head coach that we just can't have him being embarrassed yet again so we have to throw our plan totally out the window and go all defense."

This^

Look at Burrow, Herbert etc. Those teams are decent on defense, but they truly put those young QBs in perfect positions to he successful. 

Build the offense. 

Score 31+ a game, and the defense only needs to be marginally better to be competitive.  Then when the QB is comfortable and having real NFL High -level success (4,200+ yards, 25+ TDs), reinforce the D and make a run.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Where would you take Davis. He's a beast but his stamina cis concerning. Is he Vita Vea?

I would not take him for the Jets, just think there are other better options for us.  I expect he will go late R1. 

Dominant when he is in there, but he has not demonstrated the abiliity to be on the field for an entire game.  Not necessarily his fault, with our depth, we rotate DL.  The UGA DL guys I would be more interested in for us would be Trevon Walker or Devonte Wyatt in R3, but  not Davis given our other needs.

There are lots of QB’s that right this moment are rightfully not considered first round talent. Come draft day there will be 4/5 of them being talked about as consensus first round QB’s along with 2 or 3 that will be considered surefire top 10 picks. They’ll talk about things like “off platform” and “unscripted play ability” to hype them up and teams desperate for a QB will convince themselves that is good enough. That should put us finally in the enviable position of hitting on a stud playmaker as opposed to being the idiot team that falls for fugaze QB hype.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

The Jets asked their cornerbacks to play quite a bit of man coverage this year. New York’s corners played man on 36.4% of their coverage snaps, per PFF, which ranked 13th out of 32 cornerback units. The league average was 34.2%.

Regarding this part of it I’m wondering if the reason the cbs were asked to play so much man is because the lbs are so bad in coverage. If the lbs improve in their coverage skills would they play more zone? That seems like it might an interesting thing to look into. If that’s the case then cb high is much less likely. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

I really don’t think Davis is what the coaching staff is looking for in a dt. He doesn’t create a lot of pressure, but is excellent against the run.  The other dts/edge guys from Georgia in Wyatt and walker seem like much better fits

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Karlaftis seems like a dude that the draft community got hyped about after his freshman season but couldn’t let go of their original hypedness even in the face of new evidence.

This is exactly what Dane Brugler was saying and I agree 100%. I’d much rather take Ojabo 

8A85B00B-5D1C-416A-A23F-0E410CA1A4D3.jpeg

• Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

This^

Look at Burrow, Herbert etc. Those teams are decent on defense, but they truly put those young QBs in perfect positions to he successful. 

Build the offense. 

Score 31+ a game, and the defense only needs to be marginally better to be competitive.  Then when the QB is comfortable and having real NFL High -level success (4,200+ yards, 25+ TDs), reinforce the D and make a run.

This is why I want an Edge rusher at 4. O-line at 7. LB and TE in Rd. 2. I think with Davis, Moore, Berrios (assuming they resign him) and an impact rookie TE, the Jets can add a WR in the 3rd round and or in FA and they would be fine continuing with the building of their offense. I'd also be fine if they waited for a LB till Rd. 3 and took a WR. Whatever. 

Why would JD invest all top 4 draft picks on one side of the ball? Whether that be defense or offense. 

8 hours ago, Lith said:

I would be fine with Hamilton. 

I would rather us take an elite payer at what is not a traditional "top 10" position (safety or LB) than reach for a guy who is not a top 10 talent because he plays a premium position. 

I think I'm of the same opinion (though admittedly I don't know sh-t - lol)