Travon Walker - Edge?

BCJet

If we wind up trading down or picking Hamilton or Neal JD will definitely be looking at DE with one of our next picks and Travon Walker seems like someone who will be in the conversation from 25-40 in this draft.

He played his first 2 years as a DT at 6'5 290 but dropped his weight to 275 and played essentially a 3-4 DE this past season.  He is a player who doesnt have elite production given the defense that he was a part of, but is apparently going to test incredibly well at 275 and projects as a DE who can also rush from the interior. 

Could be a good value in the second round in this defense but curious what you guys think?  Im normally not a fan of the in-between guys and he is definitely not a wide-9 DE but if we want our DEs to also be able to stop the run then he could really fit the bill.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

If we wind up trading down or picking Hamilton or Neal JD will definitely be looking at DE with one of our next picks and Travon Walker seems like someone who will be in the conversation from 25-40 in this draft.

He played his first 2 years as a DT at 6'5 290 but dropped his weight to 275 and played essentially a 3-4 DE this past season.  He is a player who doesnt have elite production given the defense that he was a part of, but is apparently going to test incredibly well at 275 and projects as a DE who can also rush from the interior. 

Could be a good value in the second round in this defense but curious what you guys think?  Im normally not a fan of the in-between guys and he is definitely not a wide-9 DE but if we want our DEs to also be able to stop the run then he could really fit the bill.

Not comparing him to Bosa, but for scheme fit, aren't they about the same size? Bosa is a complete player, does everything well. Who knows?

I like walker a ton. He wasn’t asked to rush the passer a lot in Georgia. They had him playing coverage a lot and be in on running plays. Dude has insane athleticism for his size. He is raw as far as pass rush moves, but has a lot of potential. If he’s there in the 2nd then sign me up 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Like the player, but he's basically JFM who they just paid.

Unless he's clear above anyone else on the board, I'd prefer they addressed another position. 

He’s more athletically gifted than jfm. We’ll see how he does at the combine 

I know @Lith thought of him as more in the range you suggested in the OP.

Guys like Brugler and Jeremiah are higher on Walker than the other draft sites - usually a good indicator the league is higher on the player than the Internet has caught on to. If that’s the case seems he’ll end up in the conversation at 10.

He is a good football player does look like a pretty impressive athlete. I’m guessing folks think he’s going to blow up the combine and if he’s got legit edge physical traits plus he’s already developed as a football player it gives him a nice upside. The guys who start inside and then move out tend to have good hand usage and sometimes translate pretty well.

If he’s explosive enough to play outside and proficient inside the Jets could probably start building a pretty mean passing down package kicking Walker and JFM inside too.

All that said I’d be more comfortable with him in the range you suggested in the OP. But he seems like a potential “riser”.

20 hours ago, derp said:

Guys like Brugler and Jeremiah are higher on Walker than the other draft sites - usually a good indicator the league is higher on the player than the Internet has caught on to. If that’s the case seems he’ll end up in the conversation at 10.

He is a good football player does look like a pretty impressive athlete. I’m guessing folks think he’s going to blow up the combine and if he’s got legit edge physical traits plus he’s already developed as a football player it gives him a nice upside. The guys who start inside and then move out tend to have good hand usage and sometimes translate pretty well.

If he’s explosive enough to play outside and proficient inside the Jets could probably start building a pretty mean passing down package kicking Walker and JFM inside too.

All that said I’d be more comfortable with him in the range you suggested in the OP. But he seems like a potential “riser”.

I think youre right on his range moving up - nfl network has a mock draft on the bottom like that has him in the top 15.

Walker is one of the more intriguing draft prospects to me because the buzz seems to be picking up on him about his size and athleticism and given Saleh's affinity for D linemen, I could see him being the Jets pick at 10.  And after seeing Mahomes and Allen duel it out last night, I can't help but think that Douglas may feel more pressure to beef up his pass rush.

Not a comment on Travon Walker specifically, but I am coming around to thinking the Jets shouldn't target DE until #35 (Round 2) if both Hutchinson and Thibodeaux are gone.   There's a group of 3, 4, maybe 5 guys who seem like they'd be a good value in the first 10-15 picks or Round 2.  I haven't looked at all these guys yet but Walker, Cameron Thomas, Myjai Sanders, Jermaine Johnson, etc. should all be on the radar for JD and his team.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2022 at 11:51 AM, derp said:

I do think he and Ojabo are going to be considered at 10, along with Garrett Wilson.