Mac Jones bombs the Pro Bowl Skills competition

Rhg1084

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Learn arm strength ? Don't think I ever used that word.

Is that what I said ? If you don't think a pro athlete can gain strength by working out you're nuts and you're calling me naive ?

And yes arm strength comes from coordination and good mechanics (its not just about the arm) as well if you don't know that then you should not even be having this debate with me because you have no idea wtf you're talking about.

2 players that worked on arm strength and had visible results were Ben Rothlesberger and Tom Brady and it was pretty obvious they made huge strides in doing so. 

Similar mechanics apply to pitching you can gain MPH on a fastball with a pitching coach tweaking your technique delivery and release.  

You can’t teach arm strength.  You’re dreaming if you think Ben made huge improvements.   Or that baseball mechanics are similar

21 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Wait until these folks see the next two years with Wilson.  It will be like southerners returning home after Sherman's march to the sea.  

Wait until Mac Jones becomes Tony Eason or Chad Pennington with his limited physical skills

Then who on the roster can we complain about, hoping he fails?

On 2/7/2022 at 12:19 PM, Jet Nut said:

You can’t teach arm strength.  You’re dreaming if you think Ben made huge improvements.   Or that baseball mechanics are similar

Yeah, but...

For inspiration, Mac only has to look at the Superbowl.  Burrow does not have a cannon for an arm.  His scouting report looks eerily similar to Mac's coming out of college.  last offseason, he worked on improving his arm strength.  No one talked about his arm this year.

Mac talked about improving his diet at the Probowl.  At least on some level he is aware of his short comings.  If he targets arm strength, there is no reason he cannot see similar gains to Burrow.  He will never have Josh' Allen's arm, but there is no reason he cannot improve. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but...

For inspiration, Mac only has to look at the Superbowl.  Burrow does not have a cannon for an arm.  His scouting report looks eerily similar to Mac's coming out of college.  last offseason, he worked on improving his arm strength.  No one talked about his arm this year.

Mac talked about improving his diet at the Probowl.  At least on some level he is aware of his short comings.  If he targets arm strength, there is no reason he cannot see similar gains to Burrow.  He will never have Josh' Allen's arm, but there is no reason he cannot improve. 

Very true.  I'm not saying you have to have arm strength, im arguing his comment stating that arm strength is the easiest thing to change on a QB.  Thats crazy and wrong.  Every QB comes out of college and has to learn the NFL game to varying degrees.  Its the easiest thing to change.  Study you improve, dont study or are an idiot, nothing changes.  Period.

Mac will never have Burrows arm though.  But as I said, anticipate early, dont throw into tight windows that big arm QB can and you can have a nice career.  

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Very true.  I'm not saying you have to have arm strength, im arguing his comment stating that arm strength is the easiest thing to change on a QB.  Thats crazy and wrong.  Every QB comes out of college and has to learn the NFL game to varying degrees.  Its the easiest thing to change.  Study you improve, dont study or are an idiot, nothing changes.  Period.

Mac will never have Burrows arm though.  But as I said, anticipate early, dont throw into tight windows that big arm QB can and you can have a nice career.  

Go look at Burrow's pre-draft scouting reports.  Their scouting reports are virtually identical.  His arm strength was always a negative.  Of the top QBs that came out, his arm strength was only ahead of Tua. 

Now, his intangibles were what got him drafted.  Then he worked on his arm last offseason and he has more arm strength.  There might be some intangibles that set him apart from Mac, but if Mac works on his arm strength, that tangible will not be much different.  

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

Go look at Burrow's pre-draft scouting reports.  Their scouting reports are virtually identical.  His arm strength was always a negative.  Of the top QBs that came out, his arm strength was only ahead of Tua. 

Now, his intangibles were what got him drafted.  Then he worked on his arm last offseason and he has more arm strength.  There might be some intangibles that set him apart from Mac, but if Mac works on his arm strength, that tangible will not be much different.  

Yes their arm strength is a negative.  Doesn’t make their arms the same.  Neither is their mobility. I don’t care that Burrows arm is between Tua and Herbert anymore than Jones had the worst arm of his draft class.  Worse than Lawrence, Wilson, Fields & Lance

What got him drafted is he was the last option for the Pats who had nothing at QB.  He was the most prepared QB in his draft.  An advantage that will fade as the others get the NFL game down.   His arm is the arm he had at Bama and what caused him to go low

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes their arm strength is a negative.  Doesn’t make their arms the same.  Neither is their mobility. I don’t care that Burrows arm is between Tua and Herbert anymore than Jones had the worst arm of his draft class.  Worse than Lawrence, Wilson, Fields & Lance

What got him drafted is he was drafted is he was the last option.  He was the most prepared, that will fade as the others get the NFL game down.   His arm is the arm he had at Bama  

Exactly. Burrow's arm is ten times stronger than Jones. Not even in the same ball park. Is it Herbert or Mahomes strong? No, but just because Burrow doesn't have elite arm talent doesn't mean he is in the same class as Mac Jones who throws like Chad Pennington after his 3rd shoulder surgery. 

I will say that there is a world where Jones can be a good NFL QB. But he will need to have a great defense, great supporting cast and Bill Belichick type coaching his entire career. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. Burrow's arm is ten times stronger than Jones. Not even in the same ball park. Is it Herbert or Mahomes strong? No, but just because Burrow doesn't have elite arm talent doesn't mean he is in the same class as Mac Jones who throws like Chad Pennington after his 3rd shoulder surgery. 

I will say that there is a world where Jones can be a good NFL QB. But he will need to have a great defense, great supporting cast and Bill Belichick type coaching his entire career. 

I agree, he can win as a game manager type on a top defensive team.  But he’s not winning enough games on his own with that arm as Burrow had to do in KC twice. 

22 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

That’s a very good point and I’m not going back to look because fat and lazy. I would say there has to be some difference the scouts saw with Burrow taken #1 overall and Mac was 4th or 5the QB taken. Arm strength, arm talent and athleticism being the reason why. 

Nobody argued Mac being most NFL ready and turns out he was honestly better suited to start in the NFL than certainly I could imagine. At the end of the day I think the potential for his arm to improved is there but if we look at the majority of examples it’s rare for a QB to really develop significant gains in arm strength.

Seems what they typically gain comes from better mechanics than an increase in the strength of the arm. He will 100% improve, he will 100% win a fair  amount of regular season games, but not sure he will become that guy who’s arm will carry his team during the post season weather. Certainly will be fun to watch and find out. Baseball pitchers aren’t a great example because that’s a pretty linear motion and it’s easier to throw a ball faster if you can practice the exact same push off over abs over again. QB’s don’t get to do that because of the nature of the game. Off platform nonsense and stuff. I hate that term. 

• Upvote 1

He turns 24 as a rookie, but given his polish and consistency against elite competition, it’s of little concern. Doesn’t have elite arm strength and throwing power but it without question is passable. 

You get a lot of this with Burrow, lacks elite arm talent.  That's not the same as 

Lacks great arm talent and cannot drive passes downfield. Doesn’t pick up much yardage with his legs nor is he effective on designed runs.

or

Essentially maxed out mechanically. Not much more room for upside.

— Adequate but limited athlete. Does enough at the college level but won't be able to get away with as much when trying to create a throw at the NFL level.

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2022 at 1:37 PM, Jet Nut said:

Wait until Mac Jones becomes Tony Eason or Chad Pennington with his limited physical skills

Then who on the roster can we complain about, hoping he fails?

Chad Pennington had enough arm strength before he tore up his shoulder.   Tony Eason should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Pennington.  There was a lot I disliked about Chad because of his arm but the guy was a very good NFL QB before he hurt his shoulder.  Even after his surgeries when he couldn't throw the ball down the field outside the hash marks he was still effective.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Chad Pennington had enough arm strength before he tore up his shoulder.   Tony Eason should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Pennington.  There was a lot I disliked about Chad because of his arm but the guy was a very good NFL QB before he hurt his shoulder.  Even after his surgeries when he couldn't throw the ball down the field outside the hash marks he was still effective.  

But even Chad, as smart as he was, as much as it led to his ability to anticipate what a defense would do was limited by his arm strength.  It was sad in that sense, he had all the talent and smarts in the world