Things that I think: Jets 2022 Offseason Edition

19 hours ago, C Mart said:

Jermaine Johnson II went from 5 at GA to 11.5 with FSU

Chandler Jones had 4.5 sacks in his final year of college, and a total of 10 in his college career.

He was drafted based on his athletic numbers and potential, and he has done pretty damn well.

I'm very intrigued by Walker. His production is good, and his athletic numbers are incredible.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think its a matter of hedging their bets. It was more than Mekhi being in less than spectacular shape that irked the coaching staff. They want him to buy-in 100% physically and mentally. If we had a veteran QB, I think they would feel less pressure to invest so much into the OL, but Saleh and Douglas agree that the best way to get the most out of Zach is by ensuring he's protected up front.

Perhaps, but it could've been a combination of Becton's late-spring shape, plus Fant not exactly coming off a stellar 2020 season himself. As it was, the competition wasn't between Becton/Fant at LT; it was between Fant/Moses at RT. 

Also Moses was a starting RT available at backup money: if Fant/Becton started the whole way, Moses would've cost the same as Feeney or GVR (and less than Lewis, who was still inked at $6MM at that point iirc before his own pay cut). 

I'm ok with it if it comes down to that, but signing Moses and only guaranteeing him ~$3.5MM is different than guaranteeing him a rate of about (or at least) twice that per year, with ~1.5 years guaranteed.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:10 AM, slats said:

Yeah, 100%. Moses is a known quantity that played well on this team in this system. Bring him and LDT (or a suitable replacement) back, Becton comes back from from injury, and the OL is nicely set up for next season. I don’t need an OT of the future if Fant gets extended and Becton performs well. If one or both of those things don’t happen, the tackle position will still survive this season and can be addressed next year. That frees up that #4 pick, and his guaranteed contract in the four year/$33M range, for some sort of playmaker. I want the top Edge. I could warm up to the secondary guys, but I’ll believe that when I see it. 

Add an OL or two later in the draft for development. That’s how NFL teams actually do it. They don’t draft OL in the first round three years in a row because it’s a waste of resources. 

Plus they may not need him, really. They think they may need him here in the late winter / early spring. By the time the season is underway, into Sept/Oct, if Fant/Becton are really clicking, they may feel they can part with Moses if a desperate playoff team is offering up a day 2 pick the following season.

Even more so if they take another tackle in the draft - just not in round 1, and probably not round 2 either - and (after seeing him in practice for a while) become confident that they'd be ok for at least the remainder of the 2022 season if Fant or Becton suddenly go down and there's a midseason opening at tackle. 

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Chandler Jones had 4.5 sacks in his final year of college, and a total of 10 in his college career.

He was drafted based on his athletic numbers and potential, and he has done pretty damn well.

I'm very intrigued by Walker. His production is good, and his athletic numbers are incredible.

I also think there’s a distinction between an athletic guy who has no clue what he’s doing and an athletic guy who’s good against the run and just hasn’t put it together as a pass rusher yet - but also got moved all over the defensive front and dropped into coverage.

A team is drafting him high for the ceiling - elite pass rusher - but the floor of a highly athletic and versatile defensive lineman who’s solid against isn’t the run isn’t bad. Not what you’re drafting at four to get, but you’re also not drafting a guy with a low ceiling either. He’s a very good prospect. If he had the sack numbers the Jets would have no shot at him. They still might not get a shot.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Perhaps, but it could've been a combination of Becton's late-spring shape, plus Fant not exactly coming off a stellar 2020 season himself. As it was, the competition wasn't between Becton/Fant at LT; it was between Fant/Moses at RT. 

Also Moses was a starting RT available at backup money: if Fant/Becton started the whole way, Moses would've cost the same as Feeney or GVR (and less than Lewis, who was still inked at $6MM at that point iirc before his own pay cut). 

I'm ok with it if it comes down to that, but signing Moses and only guaranteeing him ~$3.5MM is different than guaranteeing him a rate of about (or at least) twice that per year, with ~1.5 years guaranteed.

Moses fell victim to being a late cut. Given how desperate teams are for OTs, he should be able to land a good salary and guaranteed starting opportunity elsewhere 

Just now, football guy said:

Moses fell victim to being a late cut. Given how desperate teams are for OTs, he should be able to land a good salary and guaranteed starting opportunity elsewhere 

No doubt.

My point is it's unlikely the Jets would've signed him after the draft if they'd have had to outbid teams offering March type salaries.

Guaranteeing him 1 year $3.5MM is one thing; guaranteeing him 1.5 years at ~$8MM is quite another. Especially when he wasn't really a scheme fit in the first place. 

I'm sure he will get more than the Jets offered him in July of 2021, but - while sure it could happen - I'm not sure it'd be in the $10MM range either. Even if it is, I'd be surprised to see him get >1 year guaranteed at that rate when he doesn't also project to LT if the team is suddenly desperate from an injury.

• 5 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 9:49 PM, football guy said:

The real reason why he left the team stems from legitimate personal issues. He actually has nothing against the Falcons either, rather, he has had bad experiences living in Atlanta. He’s been robbed 3 times—all times he was not inviting a robbery in any way—and once at gun point. His fiancé has also had a scary experience, and from what I understand there was some fallout between them and some of their friends. 

Basically, they want a fresh start in a new city. The problem is that the Jets will likely have to sell Ridley on their organization. 

It sounds like Atlanta is going to work with Ridley and try to find a situation that works for both sides. I haven’t heard anything about potential asking price or what teams would pay. My guess is the Jets would part with two 2’s (or a 2 and a conditional 3), but I don’t know for sure. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/30/calvin-ridley-was-allegedly-targeted-by-a-violent-street-gang/ 

Obviously didn't foresee the gambling suspension lol but this is what I was alluding to earlier in the year

• Upvote 3