Jets Asking Too Much For De Abraham

Smizzy

JETS ASKING TOO MUCH FOR DE ABRAHAM

By MARK CANNIZZARO

March 17, 2006 -- JACKSONVILLE - It's still relatively early in the offseason game, but the way maneuvers around the league have been transpiring, things have not exactly fallen the right way for the Jets.

At the moment, they seem to be one of the few teams around the league with pressing quarterback issues and they're shopping around disgruntled franchised DE John Abraham with seemingly no legitimate suitors for their price.

While Abraham's whirlwind visitation tour had him in Atlanta yesterday talking to the Falcons, one day after he was wined and dined in Seattle, multiple sources around the league told The Post that the Jets' asking price for him appears too high.

The Jets have been adamant about landing a first-round draft pick for Abraham, whom Oakland is now interested in. Of late, they've talked to the Falcons about using Abraham in a trade for backup quarterback Matt Schaub to no avail. More on Schaub in a moment.

"They might have to settle for a second-round draft pick for Abraham," one prominent league source told The Post. "I don't think anyone's going to give them a first-round pick for him."

Denver, who was interested in Abraham has two first-round draft picks, including the 29th overall pick, and still the Jets and Broncos could not come to a trade agreement, presumably because Denver didn't want to part with either of its first-round picks.

The Jets' problem, of course, is a serious lack of leverage.

Everyone in the league knows the Jets have no interest whatsoever in retaining Abraham, particularly since they're switching to a 3-4 defense as their base front.

And, everyone in the league knows that Abraham, ticked off about being franchised for the second consecutive year, has no interest in remaining with the Jets. Abraham's harsh comments told to the Post's Steve Serby several weeks ago pretty much severed any ties he has with the team.

A problem with the Atlanta-Jets negotiation, about which "talks are ongoing," according to a source familiar with the negotiations, was that the Jets don't possess what the Falcons need if they're going to trade Schaub.

Atlanta, according to sources with intimate knowledge of its thinking, refuses to part with Schaub unless it can get a legitimate backup who can win games in case starter Michael Vick is injured.

The Falcons have two things the Jets would love to wrest away with Abraham as bait: either the Falcons' 15th overall first-round pick or Schaub.

They're not parting with the pick or Schaub.

In fact, Falcon management has marching orders from team owner Arthur Blank not to move Schaub unless they get a can't-miss backup in return because Blank is petrified of being in same spot as he was in 2003 when Vick was injured early in the season and Doug Johnson took over and floundered, ruining the season.

"They have to get a credible backup that can win football games, not just another guy," a source said.

I just don't want it to come down to what happened in the Edwards negotiations when Woody finally ended up saying "just get rid of him".If Abraham doesn't lower his price and makes himself untradable then guess what?You're stuck here and might not ever make another trip to Aloha land

jets should get ramsey from the redskins for 6th and ship him out to the atl

That's what I thought we'd do.

Ramsey for a 6th

Schaub & a 2nd for Abe & Ramsey

Jets' net would be:

Matt Schaub

2nd rounder in a DEEP draft during a rebuilding year

for

Abe and his absurd salary demands & crappy attitude

6th rounder

I could not only live with this; I would LOVE this.

Ramsey for a 6th

Jets' net would be:

Matt Schaub

for

6th rounder

Is there any like limitation on trading a newly acquired player, or does that only involve FAs?

Ramsey for a 6th

Jets' net would be:

Matt Schaub

for

6th rounder

The Falcons could just trade their 6th for Ramsey if they were so high on him...

The Falcons could just trade their 6th for Ramsey if they were so high on him...

Not necessarily. It leaves too much to the unknown for Atlanta.

Unless a deal where Schaub is shipped of gets finalized, they're not going to THINK about negotiating for Ramsey. It weakens their hand in dealing with the Jets & shows they can afford to deal Schaub for less.

If they wait until after a deal with the Jets is secured, they are also in a lousy negotiating position since they'll be desperate for a #2 QB and the whole world knows it & must now get into a bidding war with others for Ramsey.

The way to do it is for the Jets to secure Ramsey first so Atlanta knows in advance they can get a potential starter at non-starter money to back up Vick.

Not necessarily. It leaves too much to the unknown for Atlanta.

Unless a deal where Schaub is shipped of gets finalized, they're not going to THINK about negotiating for Ramsey. It weakens their hand in dealing with the Jets & shows they can afford to deal Schaub for less.

If they wait until after a deal with the Jets is secured, they are also in a lousy negotiating position since they'll be desperate for a #2 QB and the whole world knows it & must now get into a bidding war with others for Ramsey.

The way to do it is for the Jets to secure Ramsey first so Atlanta knows in advance they can get a potential starter at non-starter money to back up Vick.

I don't know i'd still think that Schaub has ALOT more value then Ramsey.

BREAKING NEWS!!

My inside sources tell me the Jets are asking for too little in return for their All-Pro defensive end, but to get a deal done they are willing to bite the bullet and settle for Atlanta's #1 Pick {15 Overall} or QB Matt Schaub and a draft pick {second or third rounder?}

According to my NFL sources the Jets are being incredibly lenient in their demands and the Falcons are simply being unreasonable, not to mention stupid and greedy ... the Jets have been more than fair, insists my sources, and the Falcons should just GET REAL and stop expecting a heist to unfold.

One source told me just last nite, "the Falcons are trying to pull a fast one, but the sooner they realize you cannot acquire an All-Pro defensive end for a set of steak knives, the sooner a deal will get done."

Abe is way overrated and doesn't even have a contract. If Atlanta wants to offer us the 15th pick in the draft and nothing else take it Tanenbaum. If we take Lendale White, Vernon Davis or Leonard Pope with that pick all those guys are better than Abe. I'd rather have Broderick Bunkley with the 15th pick than John Abraham.

I don't know i'd still think that Schaub has ALOT more value then Ramsey.

Not my point. My point was only that if Atl sees Ramsey as an "acceptable" backup to Vick, we should secure him for them in advance. Otherwise there's a potential that they end up with no backup & furiously trying to trade for Ramsey or sign a FA with little leverage after the trade goes through.

Of course Schaub has a lot more value than Ramsey. That's why it requires John Abraham value to get him.

Atlanta's decision is what would they rather have:

Abe (expensive) + Ramsey

or

Schaub for '06/'07 + 2nd/3rd rounder + extra cap room without Abe

One source told me just last nite, "the Falcons are trying to pull a fast one, but the sooner they realize you cannot acquire an All-Pro defensive end for a set of steak knives, the sooner a deal will get done."

Would go well with the butcher knife DRob wields. We'll have a whole cutlery collection. And it only cost us John Abraham, two first rounders, a 4th rounder, and $20M.

Oh I am so sorry the Jets are asking for a 1st rd pick for a young probowl passrushing defensive end. :baby:

This just in - Culpepper is coming off a career threatening injury and played HORRIBLE last year, yet he still got a 2nd rd pick. Not to mention a sex boat scandal.

IMO, this should just solidify the case that Abraham warrants a 1st rd pick, not the other way around.

Oh I am so sorry the Jets are asking for a 1st rd pick for a young probowl passrushing defensive end. :baby:

And also a guy that can not defend the run, has questionable work habits, does not play in big games due to a belly-ache, and likes to drive around half in the bag.

Abraham is as one-dimensional as they come.

He is not worth a 1st round pick, and the Jets are finally realizing that.

And also a guy that can not defend the run, has questionable work habits, does not play in big games due to a belly-ache, and likes to drive around half in the bag.

Abraham is as one-dimensional as they come.

He is not worth a 1st round pick, and the Jets are finally realizing that.

Yes he is worth a 1st rd pick, and he is decent vs the run.

Look at all the best passrushing defensive ends in this league, 90% of them arent strong vs the run, Abraham is no different.

He worked pretty hard last offseason and bulked up. He's a great player.

27 is not young by NFL standards anymore, especially for a speed rusher like Abe who gets alot physical abuse lining up against bigger OT's.

I heard someone say earlier that Abe was an "all-pro" defensive end. That would be true if Richard Seymour, Michael Strahan, Julius Peppers and about 8 other DE"s died in a plane crash.

Just take ATL's 15th pick and run. They would be crazy to give us a good qb like Schaub.

27 is not young by NFL standards anymore, especially for a speed rusher like Abe who gets alot physical abuse lining up against bigger OT's.

I heard someone say earlier that Abe was an "all-pro" defensive end. That would be true if Richard Seymour, Michael Strahan, Julius Peppers and about 8 other DE"s died in a plane crash.

Just take ATL's 15th pick and run. They would be crazy to give us a good qb like Schaub.

And the hits keep on coming! Foley... go post on a Giants message board or something.

1). Yes he is worth a 1st rd pick,

2). and he is decent vs the run.

3). Look at all the best passrushing defensive ends in this league, 90% of them arent strong vs the run, Abraham is no different.

4). He worked pretty hard last offseason and bulked up. He's a great player.

1). If he was worth a #1, he would have been dealt in the last 5 days. Not one team in the NFL was willing to give up a #1 for Abe.

2). No he's not. Why have the Pats always run to the left (when they traditionally run right) everytime they play the Jets? I'll give you a clue: Abe can not defense the run.

3). Seymour plays the run, as well as the pass, as good as any in the NFL. Freeney is the only other guy who is as one-dimensional as Abe.

4). He's a very good player. Certainly not worth a #1 pick.

1). If he was worth a #1, he would have been dealt in the last 5 days. Not one team in the NFL was willing to give up a #1 for Abe.

2). No he's not. Why have the Pats always run to the left (when they traditionally run right) everytime they play the Jets? I'll give you a clue: Abe can not defense the run.

3). Seymour plays the run, as well as the pass, as good as any in the NFL. Freeney is the only other guy who is as one-dimensional as Abe.

4). He's a very good player. Certainly not worth a #1 pick.

Come on... you're better than this, Tx. You know he's worth a first rounder. You know he's a game changer. Yeah, he's not strong against the run. There aren't many players who are great pass rushers and great run stoppers. There's, maybe three, in the entire league.

Come on... you're better than this, Tx. You know he's worth a first rounder. You know he's a game changer. Yeah, he's not strong against the run. There aren't many players who are great pass rushers and great run stoppers. There's, maybe three, in the entire league.

stormy, if he's worth a #1, then why is he still a Jet?

A players value, no matter what you and I say, is only worth what another team will give up.

Capitalism in the purest sense of the word.;)

stormy, if he's worth a #1, then why is he still a Jet?

A players value, no matter what you and I say, is only worth what another team will give up.

Capitalism in the purest sense of the word.;)

How often do guys get traded for first round picks, this far before the draft? Closer to the draft, he'll be traded for a first. I think to Denver, especially since that news report came out, stating that the Broncos are looking to trade out of the first round totally. The price? Picks next year. I wouldn't be suprised to see the Jets get one of those picks for Abe.

If Abe was a game changer the Jets would have won more than 4 games in his career year. Abraham is an exciting player who can get to the qb but he gets hurt alot and is a liability against the run due to his size. Plus he has no contract. Sorry if I don't see why teams aren't tripping over eachother to trade the farm for this guy.

Archived