Garrett Wilson Film Breakdown - Why I think he has the potential to be a future Top 5 WR in the NFL

1 hour ago, Marshmello said:

From Albert Breer's Mailbag

From Michael Marino (@MichaelMarino37): Saleh mentioned the Jets had Garrett Wilson above Drake London on their board. Is that legit or is he just saying that to excite fans?

I don’t think Robert Saleh is kidding. My understanding is that Wilson was the No. 1 receiver on the Jets’ board, and a big reason why, as I see it, is he has the sort of complete skill set that gives the ceiling to become a true No. 1 receiver. The Jets already have complementary pieces at the position, in Elijah Moore and Braxton Berrios, and this year’s 10th pick has a chance to grow into the type of threat that’ll open things up for them.

If you want to get excited, here are three comps for Wilson I’ve heard over the last few years: DeAndre Hopkins, Stefon Diggs, CeeDee Lamb. All of those guys are averaged-sized receivers with go-go gadget arms who play much bigger than they are, and can attack the defense on all three levels. To me, that’s who Wilson is, too.

I also early OBJ with his body control, definitely see Diggs in his route running.

43 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think Wilson is a good route runner, but he can sharpen up his footwork at times. He has a little bit of a tendency to some of his stems late because he tried too many jukes. 

Absolutely this. If this offense is predicated on timing then Wilson is gonna have to revamp his route running style. It’s why I think Wilson is gonna end up with less snaps that we think. Zach is comfortable with Moore, Berrios and Davis already. Zach also now has 3 tight end targets and 2 RB targets for quick check downs. 

Wilson will be good for some big plays this year but I can envision a point this season where someone starts a “Why isn’t Wilson playing more?” Thread

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2022 at 9:08 PM, The Crusher said:

One of the pundits right after he was drafted. They showed an acrobat Catch, used all 40 inches of his vertical, perfect body control and high pointed the ball. It’s was filthy!! 

I was driving back down to SC last night.

If I saw this I’d have told him it was Rich Cimini. ?

On 5/3/2022 at 7:43 PM, DoomProphet said:

I actually breathed a huge sigh of relief when ATL took him at 8. I wanted no part of the Jets going near him. I personally think he's has the biggest bust potential of anyone of the Top 6 receivers who got drafted in top 20. Too slow, can't separate consistently.

I think London will be very productive, and receive a high volume of targets… He can play the position… but perhaps not explosive.  Even if he’s not among the yardage leaders… I think he might score the most TDs of rookie WRs.

On 5/3/2022 at 2:12 PM, DoomProphet said:

IMO Garrett Wilson is PERFECT for the Mike LaFleur system! He checks off all the boxes to succeed in this offense and to be a future Top 5 receiver in the NFL. 4.37 speed, great route runner, a separation machine at the top of his routes, insane body control (like OBJ had earlier in his career), 40 inch vertical, a threat to score every time he touches the ball. An overall athletic freak with a dawg mentality!

Of course he has to live up to that potential and stay healthy, but if he does he and Elijah Moore with be a nightmare for D's for the next few years at least.

If Wilson is such a great fit, why wouldn’t Shanahan prefer him for 7M per or whatever it is over a pissed off Deebo they are going to have to pay big money to and who is otherwise ready to burn all bridges.

Douglas offered the pick, and they said no thanks.

BTW, I think Wilson had a 36” vert, not 40”.  Big difference there.  Rob Moore had a 40+ “ vert back in the day.

By comparison, Ruckert had a 35” vert.

For a top 10 WR, he’s a mediocre athlete by SPARQ standards.  Something like low 70s.

He also declined to run a 3-cone for some reason both at the combine and his pro day.

4 hours ago, DoomProphet said:

Wilson absolutely reminds me of a Diggs A LOT.  Could have similar effect on Zach as Diggs has had for Josh Allen.

You need to temper your expectations. Diggs came to Buffalo as a 5-6 year vet. Rookie WRs typically struggle (look at Moore last year in his first 6 games). 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

I think London will be very productive, and receive a high volume of targets… He can play the position… but perhaps not explosive.  Even if he’s not among the yardage leaders… I think he might score the most TDs of rookie WRs.

I'm a big London fan, but this selection confused me a little bit.  My first thought was its kinda redundant with Pitts. I thought for sure if they went WR they'd go Wilson, to fill the Ridley role.  I do think London can still be productive though, just thought they'd want more diversity in player types. 

2 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

I'm a big London fan, but this selection confused me a little bit.  My first thought was its kinda redundant with Pitts. I thought for sure if they went WR they'd go Wilson, to fill the Ridley role.  I do think London can still be productive though, just thought they'd want more diversity in player types. 

I think at the end of the day London is the safest selection. His size definitely plays at the next level. You never really know with the speed guys. 

3 hours ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

I think at the end of the day London is the safest selection. His size definitely plays at the next level. You never really know with the speed guys. 

I disagree. I think he is the biggest risk BY FAR of any of the top 6 receivers. He's either going to be a major boom or major bust and I'm leaning towards the latter. Too slow, no consistent separation, and I think the way he plays makes a bigger risk to get hurt.

9 hours ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

You need to temper your expectations. Diggs came to Buffalo as a 5-6 year vet. Rookie WRs typically struggle (look at Moore last year in his first 6 games). 

Sure, I'm sure there will be some growing pains, but once he figures it out I have no doubt that he will be a BEAST!

On 5/4/2022 at 10:45 AM, Lupz27 said:

On the other hand that’s him one on one with a Freshman Safety he better make that play.

Whats the defender being a freshman safety have to do with the athleticism he has to have to go up that way and make the catch, then hold onto it?  If her were a senior safety what would he have done differently?   The freshman forces Wilson into making a ridiculous catch and he did