CBS on Abraham and von Oelhoffen

rajensen088

Clark Judge of CBSSporstline's take on Abraham and von Oelhoffen:

I don't like this a bit. The Jets are going to be awful, so you build from the ground up. If you're going to struggle, struggle with young players; not with 35-year-old veterans. The Jets want to dump John Abraham but sign von Oelhoffen? I don't know what this says about the direction of the franchise. I guess it can't admit it's in a rebuilding phase, so it goes out and signs the oldest free agent available. Question: How in the world did Ted Washington escape these guys?

I don't like this a bit. The Jets are going to be awful, so you build from the ground up. If you're going to struggle, struggle with young players; not with 35-year-old veterans. The Jets want to dump John Abraham but sign von Oelhoffen? I don't know what this says about the direction of the franchise. I guess it can't admit it's in a rebuilding phase, so it goes out and signs the oldest free agent available. Question: How in the world did Ted Washington escape these guys?

Question:

When did anyone care what you thought Mr.Judge?

Blow me.

von Oelhoffen is a mainstay in the 3-4 here for all 3 of his years and can groom a young guy that we draft.

The Kimo signing makes no sense. A switch to a 3-4 makes no sense.

Draft guys for the 3-4 system, but stick with the 4-3 for the time being.

The Kimo signing makes all the sense in the world. People who don't understand the scheme, don't understand the signing. It's that simple.

The Jets are going to play The 3-4 and 4-3. So that's the end of that.

The difference between The Jets defense from last year and this year is that The Jets are not going to run just one type of concept. They are going to cater to their talent and gameplan for their opponents. If The Jets need to start a game with a 5 man defensive line. They are going to.

Kimo was signed because he brings versatility to the table. The ability to play end and tackle and the ability to play in The 3-4 and 4-3. The Jets staff is looking for smart and strong players who bring versatility to the table. Check on all accounts with Kimo.

You can't judge the roster on March 19th. Let's get to September first and then we will discuss the schemes that are going to be used.

Back in Cowher's first couple of seasons as Steelers coach, he needed a veteran OLB to come in and contribute right away along with help teach the younger guys about the defense. In steps Kevin Greene. Yea so, Cowher rented him for a couple of seasons. It paid dividends. That, IMO, is exactly what Mangini is doing by acquiring Kimo. He now has a cagey veteran with a good motor to help bring his team along. Coincedentaly (SP?) why do ya think Romeo Crennel just signed Willie McGinest? The same purpose?

The Kimo signing makes all the sense in the world. People who don't understand the scheme, don't understand the signing. It's that simple.

The Jets are going to play The 3-4 and 4-3. So that's the end of that.

The difference between The Jets defense from last year and this year is that The Jets are not going to run just one type of concept. They are going to cater to their talent and gameplan for their opponents. If The Jets need to start a game with a 5 man defensive line. They are going to.

Kimo was signed because he brings versatility to the table. The ability to play end and tackle and the ability to play in The 3-4 and 4-3. The Jets staff is looking for smart and strong players who bring versatility to the table. Check on all accounts with Kimo.

You can't judge the roster on March 19th. Let's get to September first and then we will discuss the schemes that are going to be used.

Here, here. It won't be the same week to week. Some people here and in the press haven't been listening to Mangini and think when he uses words like versatility and flexibility it's empty coachspeak; it isn't. And if any player wants to get wound up about 3 technique or some such nosense they won't be in green and white for much longer.

I find it ironic that Edwards talked and talked but said very little of real importance and the press catered to him. Mangini says a few simple but direct things and the press acts like he's full of shEEt.

You have to have some veterans that know and play in their designed roles on your team- that is why I think this was a decent signing. You are not going to have a roster of all 1st and second year players- unless you are like the Pirates or Marlins of baseball holding down all costs

Back in Cowher's first couple of seasons as Steelers coach, he needed a veteran OLB to come in and contribute right away along with help teach the younger guys about the defense. In steps Kevin Greene. Yea so, Cowher rented him for a couple of seasons. It paid dividends. That, IMO, is exactly what Mangini is doing by acquiring Kimo. He now has a cagey veteran with a good motor to help bring his team along. Coincedentaly (SP?) why do ya think Romeo Crennel just signed Willie McGinest? The same purpose?

unfortunately, until crennel and mangini succeed, everything they do will be criticized....but as soon as they do succeed, then all their moves are pure genius...and "everyone knew it all along"

and thats cool....we'll all enjoy it that much more if things go right

Let's remember this article in December when the Jets are in the playoff hunt. We'll make him eat his words :box:

Let's remember this article in December when the Jets are in the playoff hunt. We'll make him eat his words :box:

OMG :rl: The Jets in the playoff hunt this year? Riiiiiight.

As much as I would love to make that bastard eat his own words, that's just not going to happen. We're going to be a middle type of team this year, and that's all we can really ask for. The next season though... that's when we'll start moving up.

Other predictions for this season: 1) T.O will be looking for a new team, after claiming that 'all the comboys are gay' in frustration over not getting enough passes. 2) Penny will break his shoulder when he sneezes too hard. 3) the Fat Man will call this the 'worst season in jets history' after the teams first loss. 4) Abe will demand a raise after his first sack, and then come down with the 'flu' for the rest of the season, after being denied one.:character42:

Kimo is actually exactly what this team needs. A vet presence, with a winning pedigree, who can play multiple defensive schemes, and be sucessful in all of them., He will impart that message to the younger ones. Abe, on the other hand, is a one trick pony, albeit a very good one at his one trick. But that does not help us here now. Neither does his selfish attitude.

This kind of stuff makes me wonder how many posters here could be successful sports writers when there are people out there who don't understand the obvious, or what should be the obvious to them.

lots of these same posters could also write for leno or letterman

I am anxious to see who takes the field for the jets on opening day on both sides of the ball. could be a very interesting year especially with no expectations.

Archived