Week 6 NFL Thoughts

JetNation

NFL

Week Six Thoughts…

• Brett Favre and the miserable excuses for human beings with which he collaborated to steal money from poor people need to do real time. Not just fines, not country club jail for thirty days, not community service…real time at a real jail.
  • Ok, fine. I was wrong on the Giants.  I still don’t think they are an elite team, but 4-1 is 4-1.  Hats off, G-Men.
  • So, Matt Rhule was the problem in Carolina? OK, I’m looking forward to that juggernaut of a roster ripping off a nice win streak since they addressed the issue holding them back.
  • Where was this version of Geno Smith when he was with the Jets?
  • The rumors of the death of the Cowboy’s season have been greatly exaggerated.
  • Now that’s how Monday night games should be. Thanks, KC and Las Vegas.
  • I am rooting for Sam Darnold. Who’s with me?
  • Not sure anything can stop the collision between KC and Buffalo in the AFC Championship game.
  • Not sure if there’s ever been a more disrespected 5-0 team than this year’s version of the Philadelphia Eagles. The Birds can run it, throw it, and play defense.  There are few teams that can say the same thing.
  • Not in love with all the two-point conversion tries of late. I get the attraction, just doesn’t always make sense.
  • The personal foul for that Brady sack was atrocious. One or more officials need to miss a game or two and some money for that mess.
  • Saw a flash about the Bills checking in with Carolina about Christian McCaffrey. Please Carolina, trade him to anybody but Buffalo.
  • I am enjoying not having a fantasy football team for the first year in quite a while.
  • It’s official…I can’t give up the 9:30 a.m. start time for football on Sunday.  More, please.

Our Heroes in Green

That’s what I’m talking about.  It was just the kind of game the old Jets would find a way to drop.  Not the 2022 Jets.  Nope.  The Dolphins were down, and we kicked them just like we needed to.  Gang Green was 5-6 in the red zone and didn’t turn the ball over.  A +2 turnover margin will win a lot of games in this league.  Zach was efficient and Breece Hall was in beast mode all day long.

Next week’s game is the Jet’s toughest of the young season.  Green Bay will be ready after dropping a very winnable game to the Giants in London.  Green Bay doesn’t usually play poorly in back-to-back weeks.  It will take the best game the Jets have played all year to leave Wisconsin with a win.   The good news is that the Jets confidence is high, and the cross-town Giants put a blueprint on film for the Jets to emulate.  The Giants found soft spots in the Green Bay run defense and a less talented receiving core was effective against the Green Bay secondary.  The Jets receivers are more talented by far than the group filling in for the Giants last week.  The Jets secondary can cover this group of Green Bay receivers.  The Jets can get pressure on Rodgers.  My concern is the Green Bay running game.  When the Packers are down, they go back to basics.  Green Bay ran for 203 yards in week two after dropping their opener.  If the Jets are hyper focused on Rodgers, Aaron Jones will hurt them.  If the Jets can stop the run, they will be in the game with a chance to win it late.

The post Week 6 NFL Thoughts appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't think we stop Jones and Dillon. They are both starting quality backs. I just hope we can stiffen in the red zone to keep them from scoring TDs and we can keep the PI calls to a minimum.  

Lamar,  chubb, hunt, Mixon and najee are all "starting quality" and the Jets ranked 6th best in YPC after facing all of those dudes.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, PorP said:

I saw,  I also saw a pash rush heavy D focused on neutralizing hill/waddle.

I think brick/ Saleh were OK with some run gashes instead of having the top repeatedly blown off by hill and waddle. 

The reason that worked is because Skylar was easily rattled by pressure.  I think Hill and Waddle would have had good days if Tua was playing. I just wouldn't  use the same defense against Rogers just because it worked against a 3rd string QB nobody including the Fins thought would play. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The reason that worked is because Skylar was easily rattled by pressure.  I think Hill and Waddle would have had good days if Tua was playing. I just wouldn't  use the same defense against Rogers just because it worked against a 3rd string QB nobody including the Fins thought would play. 

Agreed man.  I'm having faith in game planning and i suspect there will be a closer ratio of rushing and setting edges this week. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

is 137 yards considering a "gashing" nowadays?  10 teams have averaged more than that this year.  so it's a lot but not nuts.

Look at the plays they ran on. It was working. When they Jets ran up the score (Wow, did I just type that) they had to abandon the run game. If the score was closer they probably have close to 200. It was more game flow rather than it wasn't  working. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Look at the plays they ran on. It was working. When they Jets ran up the score (Wow, did I just type that) they had to abandon the run game. If the score was closer they probably have close to 200. It was more game flow rather than it wasn't  working. 

If the Jets ran up the score earlier in the game, they would have had less, probably less than 100. Defense, Offense, and ST work together for a complete game. In fact, the lack of production by the offense in the middle of the game hurt the D. 

55 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

If the Jets ran up the score earlier in the game, they would have had less, probably less than 100. Defense, Offense, and ST work together for a complete game. In fact, the lack of production by the offense in the middle of the game hurt the D. 

I'm not really sure where ypu are going with this. What I am saying is Miami ran the ball effectively when they called runs. 

Surprised Vikings are 4-1. A lot of 2-3, 3-2 teams. This is where the good teams separate and the pretenders flop.

Think the Giants will end up around 8-9, still not a believer in Daniel Jones. 

Steelers are the worst team in the NFL. Will probably be between them and Lions for #1 pick. 

Miami will end up with a losing record. 

Jets will make the playoffs and we'll dominate because Zach Wilson owns everyone. LFG.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm not really sure where ypu are going with this. What I am saying is Miami ran the ball effectively when they called runs. 

Yeah; i get it, but it is a team sport = the o did their job, so Miami had to go out of the run; but to be fair, the D started stopping them in the second half anyway... 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The more I think about it, the more I think we will.  We are much more talented then them outside of qb.  I think the Jets will win 28-17.

Outside of QB is the keyword. There's a reason QBs are so valued in today's NFL. Aaron Rodgers is no fellow to mess with. Jets aren't holding Packers to 17 that's for sure. Matt LaFleur is 42-12 in his career. The more think about it, the more I feel like Jets are coming out of this empty-handed. Aaron Rodgers can pick apart Jets defense if he is motivated enough, and after the loss against the Giants you don't have to try hard to imagine the amount of motivation he might have. I can see the Jets playing hard and possibly even winning, but I don't see a blowout at all. Especially at Lambeau field.

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Are you expecting  the Jets to blowout GB in Lambeau?

I have no idea. Not only does the Jets seem feel different this year, I still can't shake the SOJ syndrome. Also, I haven't been following the league enough to know how good GB is. The Miami game was the only time this year where the Jets were in the lead and they played a #3 QB. I hope we blow them out completely, I think we have a fair chance to win, but I just don't know

12 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I have no idea. Not only does the Jets seem feel different this year, I still can't shake the SOJ syndrome. Also, I haven't been following the league enough to know how good GB is. The Miami game was the only time this year where the Jets were in the lead and they played a #3 QB. I hope we blow them out completely, I think we have a fair chance to win, but I just don't know

I really think being on the road and the Jets being a young  team are negatives to a game like this. The young players have shown they belong but knowing how to prepare for a game like this is another thing. I do think they can win but I don't  expect our D to flatten them out. I think they will be able to run the ball and Rogers will make enough plays to minimally  keep them in the game.  I expect this to be a hard fought  game. 

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I really think being on the road and the Jets being a young  team are negatives to a game like this. The young players have shown they belong but knowing how to prepare for a game like this is another thing. I do think they can win but I don't  expect our D to flatten them out. I think they will be able to run the ball and Rogers will make enough plays to minimally  keep them in the game.  I expect this to be a hard fought  game. 

I agree, but it is a screwy year. Giants beat them on neutral turf - are the Giants for real, or just playing weak teams? Patriots kept the game tight with QB issues. Are the Packers broken, or just starting slow? Last year I would say this would be a breakout game for the Pack and the Jets would get crushed coming off a big win - this year, not so sure.

42 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I agree, but it is a screwy year. Giants beat them on neutral turf - are the Giants for real, or just playing weak teams? Patriots kept the game tight with QB issues. Are the Packers broken, or just starting slow? Last year I would say this would be a breakout game for the Pack and the Jets would get crushed coming off a big win - this year, not so sure.

The Giants are extremely  well coached. I wanted the Jets to Hire Daboll instead of Saleh once we fired Gase. As bad as the Pats O is, that is how good the D is. The Pats will be in a lot of games this year. I think the Packers are now out to prove something. We have play makers on the team now. That is the difference from years before. 

9 hours ago, Hex said:

Outside of QB is the keyword. There's a reason QBs are so valued in today's NFL. Aaron Rodgers is no fellow to mess with. Jets aren't holding Packers to 17 that's for sure. Matt LaFleur is 42-12 in his career. The more think about it, the more I feel like Jets are coming out of this empty-handed. Aaron Rodgers can pick apart Jets defense if he is motivated enough, and after the loss against the Giants you don't have to try hard to imagine the amount of motivation he might have. I can see the Jets playing hard and possibly even winning, but I don't see a blowout at all. Especially at Lambeau field.

I’m torn on this one. I do think the Jets have a more talented roster overall, and also agree that Rogers is a special QB. Packers were undefeated at Lambeau last season, and are always tough to play there, but then the Jets had their two comeback wins on the road this season.

I like the confidence the young team is displaying, but they can’t let it get to cockiness. If these guys are truly changing the culture, that’s a big one that has to change. SOJ laid an egg whenever the media started giving them a little credit. It was a given. They also would make sure to suck as much as possible under the national spotlight, and that’s what they’re going to be under this Sunday. But if everyone is staying humble, buying Saleh’s message of go to bed better than you woke up, I like their chances. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I wouldn't use the same defense because GB doesn't have the same threats at WR

38 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The Giants are extremely  well coached. I wanted the Jets to Hire Daboll instead of Saleh once we fired Gase. As bad as the Pats O is, that is how good the D is. The Pats will be in a lot of games this year. I think the Packers are now out to prove something. We have play makers on the team now. That is the difference from years before. 

It appears that way, but be weary of instant success. How often do we see a new coach (or interim) steps in and the team appears to turn it around and then it drops off. Not saying Giants are not for real, just saying it is too early to see if it was a fluke, or bad opponents, or opponents that are having a slow start. We see it all the time, a team jumps out of the blocks and starts an impressive run and then implodes in the second half of the season. We shall see about both the Giants and the Packers.

14 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

It appears that way, but be weary of instant success. How often do we see a new coach (or interim) steps in and the team appears to turn it around and then it drops off. Not saying Giants are not for real, just saying it is too early to see if it was a fluke, or bad opponents, or opponents that are having a slow start. We see it all the time, a team jumps out of the blocks and starts an impressive run and then implodes in the second half of the season. We shall see about both the Giants and the Packers.

I think it's  coaching on the Giants. Barkley is having an amazing turnaround and that is all Daboll knowing how to use him. He also is getting the best out of Jones so far. I think the Jets are sort of the opposite.  Dare I say the talent on this team is coach proof. They are that good. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I think it's  coaching on the Giants. Barkley is having an amazing turnaround and that is all Daboll knowing how to use him. He also is getting the best out of Jones so far. I think the Jets are sort of the opposite.  Dare I say the talent on this team is coach proof. They are that good. 

Giants beat the Titans (3-2), Panthers (1-4), Bears (2-4), and Packers (3-2) and lost to Dallas (4-1) - not sure I crown them or Daboll as great yet. Promising yes, but people on this site do this all of the time crown players, coaches, teams early and call bust too early. Let's see how they look towards the end of the season.

Most of those teams are not very good with rushing D either. We shall see as the season unfolds...

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Aaron Jones is the guy we need to stop.  AJ Dillon has been terrible this year averaging under 4 yards a carry.  Every snap Dillon is in instead of Jones is a win for us.

Stop Aaron Jones and we will win this game.

Problem is you can’t put 8 in the box in obvious running downs with Jones in.  Rodgers will pick us apart.  

We don’t have to stop him but I think containing him while covering all these JAG wideouts gets it done

8 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Problem is you can’t put 8 in the box in obvious running downs with Jones in.  Rodgers will pick us apart.  

We don’t have to stop him but I think containing him while covering all these JAG wideouts gets it done

I would usually agree but with this receiving core, can he still do that?  I dont see anyone of these receivers being able to win their one on one matchups against our corners.