Yankees Offseason Thread

Barton

• 2 weeks later...

Judge is not Mike Trout or Mookie Betts. A mega contract is risky. Lets not forget how in the past he had countless missed games due to muscle injuries.

If Judge walks, you can re-sign Benintendi, trade for the Pirates Reynolds, sign Trea Turner and Rodon/Verlander.

Props to Hal for spending the little extra he needed to keep Judge.

That being said, try to unload Stanton. Having these 2 guys in the lineup so close to each other, striking out 200+ times - it's not a good recipe.

This team still lacks a stone cold RBI hitter who puts the ball in play at a high level. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

They have it if DJLM can get back to his 2019-2020 form. Even then is one of those guys enough?

Yanks cant count on that. That DJ may never return, for all we know. Hasnt been that guy the last 2 years and now he's just older.

Gotta re-sign Benintendi. Bring up Volpe, Trade Gleyber. Get rid of Donaldson and Hicks. Somehow, unload Stanton.

I would take a flyer on JD Martinez as a DH on a 2-3 year deal. Veteran RBI winning hitter. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Barton said:

Yanks cant count on that. That DJ may never return, for all we know. Hasnt been that guy the last 2 years and now he's just older.

Gotta re-sign Benintendi. Bring up Volpe, Trade Gleyber. Get rid of Donaldson and Hicks. Somehow, unload Stanton.

I would take a flyer on JD Martinez as a DH on a 2-3 year deal. Veteran RBI winning hitter. 

No one wants Donaldson and Hicks.  Ok players with bad contracts. Stanton is going nowhere we would have give up assets galore and eat 50% of the contract

This is exactly the same team as last year and we probably won’t win another playoff game facing the Astros for another 5-6 years. This is what Cashman life GM gets you 

On 12/8/2022 at 6:36 AM, VJphillyfan said:

No one wants Donaldson and Hicks.  Ok players with bad contracts. Stanton is going nowhere we would have give up assets galore and eat 50% of the contract

This is exactly the same team as last year and we probably won’t win another playoff game facing the Astros for another 5-6 years. This is what Cashman life GM gets you 

Yea even though i criticize Hal for not spending like a couple other teams (dodgers and mets) he does spend quite a bit of money regardless.

Problem is his GM has no idea how to allocate the payroll properly.

Trading for guys like Stanton and Donaldson? Jesus. Signing bullpen arms to 10-15 mill a year, like Britton and Chapman?

Looking at the current Yankees lineup - it's a horrible lineup, yet somehow the payroll is over 250 mill. Hard to believe. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2022 at 5:36 AM, VJphillyfan said:

Hicks, best case, you can move if you kick in 7-8 million a year on that contract.

Donaldson, very hard to move.   Again, you'd have to kick in 15-18 million of the 25.

Stanton, you will have to kick in AND probably add a young player to make someone take that deal.  You are probably better off letting him play, see if he gets off to a good start, and then trying to move him.  Right now his value is very low.

On 12/10/2022 at 8:46 AM, Barton said:

Yea even though i criticize Hal for not spending like a couple other teams (dodgers and mets) he does spend quite a bit of money regardless.

Problem is his GM has no idea how to allocate the payroll properly.

Trading for guys like Stanton and Donaldson? Jesus. Signing bullpen arms to 10-15 mill a year, like Britton and Chapman?

Looking at the current Yankees lineup - it's a horrible lineup, yet somehow the payroll is over 250 mill. Hard to believe. 

Cashman is the problem.  Arod was on with Cowherd last week and called him out.  All his moves reactive while other teams are proactive

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2022 at 9:31 AM, chirorob said:

Hicks, best case, you can move if you kick in 7-8 million a year on that contract.

Donaldson, very hard to move.   Again, you'd have to kick in 15-18 million of the 25.

Stanton, you will have to kick in AND probably add a young player to make someone take that deal.  You are probably better off letting him play, see if he gets off to a good start, and then trying to move him.  Right now his value is very low.

Cashman is turning the Yankees into the 2000’s Isiah Knicks. 

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'm suprised none of you are discussing the Rodon signing yet. I'm very happy as he was one of the guys I targeted at the end of the season. Yankees needed another high end starter for the short playoff series and Rodon being a left hander is a nice bonus. 

I like that deal better than the DeGrom to the Rangers.   DeGrom is more money, and much more injury prone, as well as 4 years older.

Good signing

• Upvote 1

Benintendi just got 5 years at 15 mill per. A steal for the white six. Big mistake by the Yankees not resigning him. The exact type of elite contact hitter with speed, high on base numbers and defense. Only 28 years old. Wtf are the Yankees doing not beating that offer? 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Barton said:

Benintendi just got 5 years at 15 mill per. A steal for the white six. Big mistake by the Yankees not resigning him. The exact type of elite contact hitter with speed, high on base numbers and defense. Only 28 years old. Wtf are the Yankees doing not beating that offer? 

The Yankees said they didn’t want to give him 5 years.

4 minutes ago, BP said:

The Yankees said they didn’t want to give him 5 years.

Heard that report too. But they are ok with giving 30 yr old Judge 10 years and taking on Stanton through age 37/38. All with lengthier injury histories no less. 5 years for benintendi covers his entire prime to age 33 only. This kind of stupidity is why the Yankees don’t win anymore. Who is gonna play left now? Another guy who strikes out too much? 

6 minutes ago, Barton said:

Heard that report too. But they are ok with giving 30 yr old Judge 10 years and taking on Stanton through age 37/38. All with lengthier injury histories no less. 5 years for benintendi covers his entire prime to age 33 only. This kind of stupidity is why the Yankees don’t win anymore. Who is gonna play left now? Another guy who strikes out too much? 

I agree with you. I wanted him back. Get rid of gleyber, hicks, Donaldson. All 3 swing as hard as they can with 2 strikes when all we need is situational at bats. volpe to ss and parasa to 2nd base. And pereira to LF.

The big problem in the playoffs was the approach to their at bats. We need more contact hitters like that left fielder from the Indians we couldn’t get out.

Just now, BP said:

I agree with you. I wanted him back. Get rid of gleyber, hicks, Donaldson. All 3 swing as hard as they can with 2 strikes when all we need is situational at bats. volpe to ss and parasa to 2nd base. And pereira to LF.

The big problem in the playoffs was the approach to their at bats. We need more contact hitters like that left fielder from the Indians we couldn’t get out.

Yup. At a loss of words on how you let benintendi walk for 5 years 15 mill per - in todays market especially. The exact player they needed. Unbelievable screw up to let him walk. They are now gonna trade assets for a left fielder. Morons.

• Post of the Week 1

On 12/16/2022 at 7:56 AM, maury77 said:

I'm suprised none of you are discussing the Rodon signing yet. I'm very happy as he was one of the guys I targeted at the end of the season. Yankees needed another high end starter for the short playoff series and Rodon being a left hander is a nice bonus. 

Good move. At least cashman isn’t complacent with the rotation. Probably saved us from missing the playoffs next season 

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, Barton said:

Yup. At a loss of words on how you let benintendi walk for 5 years 15 mill per - in todays market especially. The exact player they needed. Unbelievable screw up to let him walk. They are now gonna trade assets for a left fielder. Morons.

I hate defending Cashman but I have to here.  Bader is a similar player we have who is our full time Centerfielder next couple years and he was good in the playoffs. Stanton will play some outfield next season. I don’t think being nothing but a DH is good for his hitting he said so himself. Judge at the money we are paying him better play outfield full time

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2022 at 4:40 PM, Barton said:

You can't have those 3 plus Hicks signed for 4 or 5 years.   It gives you no flexibility.

They have kids in AA who can play OF in a few years.  Last year they got literally nothing from Hicks and Gallo in left.

I'd bring back Carpenter on a short deal.   Let him play 40 games in left, left Stanton play 40 games in left, and let Oswaldo play the other 80.

Let Peraza play short, move Torres, let DJ play 2nd until Volpe is ready.   Donaldson is the realistic 3rd baseman, he at least still has a glove.  When Volpe comes up, DJ can go to 3rd (if still healthy)

• Upvote 1

Are you guys kidding me? Stanton in left? The guy misses 60 games a season. Cabrera? Did you not see him butcher the outfield last year? Carpenter, who was out of baseball for 2 years? Prospects in A ball who might develop?

Yankees lineup right now is horrible. Benintendi was an actual pro at the plate, entering his prime. Gold glove defender, too.

And i dont want to hear anything about our OFer prospects coming up soon, so dont worry about Benny. Yanks are a win now team. 

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Are you guys kidding me? Stanton in left? The guy misses 60 games a season. Cabrera? Did you not see him butcher the outfield last year? Carpenter, who was out of baseball for 2 years? Prospects in A ball who might develop?

Yankees lineup right now is horrible. Benintendi was an actual pro at the plate, entering his prime. Gold glove defender, too.

And i dont want to hear anything about our OFer prospects coming up soon, so dont worry about Benny. Yanks are a win now team. 

The Martian and Judge will be the only two outfielders they need. They are going to bat 8 guys so they can all hit more often. Problem solved.

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

You can't have those 3 plus Hicks signed for 4 or 5 years.   It gives you no flexibility.

They have kids in AA who can play OF in a few years.  Last year they got literally nothing from Hicks and Gallo in left.

I'd bring back Carpenter on a short deal.   Let him play 40 games in left, left Stanton play 40 games in left, and let Oswaldo play the other 80.

Let Peraza play short, move Torres, let DJ play 2nd until Volpe is ready.   Donaldson is the realistic 3rd baseman, he at least still has a glove.  When Volpe comes up, DJ can go to 3rd (if still healthy)

I have to say I loved the Carpenter story but he should have no part of an offseason discussion for an outfield spot. Have to aim higher.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, maury77 said:

Given the options that are left, I'm mildly intrigued by rolling the dice on Conforto. That lefty swing would bring nice balance to the lineup and play well at Yankee Stadium. He has played well in this market before. 

Agreed. He’s pretty much best of the rest at this point but the budget of $293 million is not going to be breached.

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, chirorob said:

I would agree with a lot of this, Volpe might not have a SS arm anyway and DJ can play any infield position when healthy.

• Upvote 1