If Zach demanded a trade

Wit

On 12/10/2022 at 2:46 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Under no circumstances do I have any interest in drafting another QB prospect in Rd 1 again any time soon. 

Regardless of what compensation we could get back in a trade for Wilson, it's time to go with the vet option, whether that's White or not.

Yup. I have no interest in developing yet another 1st round pick at QB in this window with this team.....If JD decides the 2023 QB1 isn't on this roster he should go with the FA/Trade route....

• Upvote 1

He may be a persnickety twerp but he’s very well represented and his advisors must recognize that publicly demanding a trade is only going to solidify his me-before-the-team bona fides.

It is actually in his self-interest to at least pretend to be the good soldier. I’d expect instead for his camp to leverage Steve Young to push the narrative in the media that Jets should trade him if they don’t see a future. This way he keeps his hands clean. “Sometimes players and teams don’t gel. Not his fault not the Jets fault but makes no sense to keep him on the roster.”

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2022 at 10:55 AM, heymangold said:

Seattle, Tennessee, LA Rams, Atlanta, Tampa, Raiders, carolina if they miss on a QB

a late 1st rounder isn't crazy.  like it was said earlier, Sam was traded for a 2+.  zach has 2 years and a 5th year option left.

Seattle - will resign Geno who is way better

Tennessea - Tannehill is better and Malik still a rookie

Rams - already have Stafford and probably delusional enough to think they can salvage baker

ATL - have Ridder

Raiders - McDaniels will probably draft his own qb this offseason  after signing Brisset

Carolina - will probably draft Caleb Williams or someone else. Sam starts in the meantime 

it’s been said before but I’ll say it again. Sam was significantly better his first couple years with a way worse roster that’s why we got a second

• Upvote 1

Zach needs to show enough in 2023 to have his option exercised.   Maybe.  Just like Becton his year.  that will be a good one. 

If the Jets sign a big name FA I can see there being pressure to trade Zach.  If I am JD I am riding the two years left on Zach's contract and signing MW for two years, draft someone, and effectively platoon White and Wilson.  QB in 2025 is either a franchised White or Wilson, or the draft pick.  

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

Rams - already have Stafford and probably delusional enough to think they can salvage baker

ATL - have Ridder

Raiders - McDaniels will probably draft his own qb this offseason  after signing Brisset

Carolina - will probably draft Caleb Williams or someone else. Sam starts in the meantime 

it’s been said before but I’ll say it again. Sam was significantly better his first couple years with a way worse roster that’s why we got a second

while all is true - pundits still seem to think zach has untapped potential.  as i've said, the NFL is QB crazy.  someone will trade a high draft pick for zach if he's made available.

54 minutes ago, heymangold said:

while all is true - pundits still seem to think zach has untapped potential.  as i've said, the NFL is QB crazy.  someone will trade a high draft pick for zach if he's made available.

You are right but he has the “bad teammate” stink on him now. Will depress value. 4th rounder that can jump to 3rd based on playing time.

But JD is also pretty good at this.

Steve young said that the last thing Zach can do is to play the victim and he’s right and he’s very close to Zach. 

to answer the question, if Zach doesn’t play again this year his value is very low, maybe a fifth.  

if I’m reading over the cap correctly, nothing will be done before June 1, he’s definitely not getting cut. too much dead money. 

A post June 1 trade the dead money is 5.7 mill and a cap savings of 2.2 mill 

the finances point to Zach being a jet next year 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

ATL - have Ridder

The idea NOBODY is willing to take a flier on a 23 year old former top 2 pick is silly.

• Upvote 1

I have no response other than to share that these made up lyrics to "If I Were a Carpenter" are now stuck in my head:

If Zach was a starting QB, and you were his lady, would you marry him? Would you have his baby?

These might be less absurd questions than the one posed by the OP.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He would need to cut his $ by a lot. Too much for a guy who likely would end up as 3rd string on most teams.

You can’t have a player on a rookie deal take a pay cut by rule.  It’s either trade him, cut him, or let his deal expire after 4 years.  No financial creativity is allowed with the rookie deal.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, heymangold said:

A lot of the talking heads on tv who were going gaga over Zach Wilson two years ago have abandoned ship.  The word is out.  4 touchdown passes in 7 starts is abysmal— literally an old disabled person in a wheelchair could match that productivity