Ummmmm Gardner Minshew playing

31 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Not up to reading the whole thread today. How are we feeling on Minshew?

My take from what I watched on the game:

Good

• The timing plays looked very good
  • When defenders were making it to him, he could extend the play with some mobility.
  • The turnovers, from what I saw, were great plays from the DBs (both times the DB basically went over or around the WR and ripped the ball out of their hands)
  • Seems to find open players

The 'bad'

• Great oline play. Didn't see him pressured too much. What we saw yesterday is not what we would see with the Jets
  • Felt like it took a while to make up him mind on who to throw in some plays, but that may not be fair given that some of these may have been longer developing plays.
  • Accuracy on some throws. Seems like the WRs made a ton of great catches. I don't think our WR core pulls that off (maybe GW)
  • Saw him back peddle on some pressures, then through off his back foot. Had flashbacks of Zach for a second.

Overall, liked him significantly more than Zach, but not sure he's far ahead of White. Could be interesting in regards to a QB competition between the two, and for what you'd pay each, you're prolly paying for less than a premium QB, which is important, especially if you're still carrying Zach's salary (10M next year), but honestly, if you don't think White gets us anywhere, you prolly won't be convinced by Minshew either.

There is a reason he is a backup. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Because Wilson fans keep saying White is "Injury prone" after taking a monumental shot in a 1-2-3 throw SMASH play. The very definition of being an injury prone player is someone who gets hurt in the first pre-season game on a non-contact injury play

Phil Simms was a QB that was injured every year early on.  He went on to have a pretty decent career.  

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Mike White is admirably tough, this is true. But why are you making an argument using Zach Wilson injuring his knee ligament as an example?

Because it’s mostly the Zach Beliebers who keep harping on White being injury prone.  That’s their indirect way of arguing we should stick with Zach in Fall 2023

17 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I think most people talking Minshew/Bridgewater/Darnold level guys would be looking for them to be brought in with Mike White. They shouldn’t be demanding crazy money and wouldn’t be considered if they were. Darnold coming back would be funny though, hadn’t even considered that.

White should be back regardless and it will only alienate the fanbase and even the team if he walks. He’s earned at the very least high end backup status in the NFL and our team love him for good reason. I’ll be rooting for him in any QB competition next year. He’s the guy I want the Jets to win with.

But his injuries aren’t fluke things and it would be naive not to have insurance for that. Guy is recklessly brave in the pocket and doesn’t have the frame to keep stepping into hits the way he does. It’s also probably his greatest asset so it’s a double edged sword if you coach it out of him.

At the very least get him on some Mexican supplements. 

Zach needs to coach him up on the run backwards thingy to avoid taking those big hits. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Same as White.  $10-15M per.

Those 2 combined would cost less than Jimmy Garoppolo if costs work out that way.  

MW is cheaper than a FQB but you need to have a stronger insurance policy given his injury history. I’m done with all-eggs-in-one-basket and I endorse this approach.

• Upvote 1

If you have two QB's, you don't have a franchise QB. We are not talking about a rookie, the reason to get these guys is you believe they can be the guy for you. You get the better of the two within reason financially, and you get a backup who can come in and play a game or two if you have to. Silly to get two of the same guys