Geno and Daniel Jones situations

JohnnyLV

Everyone is completely assuming that Geno and Jones will just re-sign with their respective teams and that will be that.

Now maybe that does happen and Geno and Jones sign new contracts and want to stay where they are.

But if they want to test the market they could make things very difficult for the Seahawks and Giants

Neither strikes me as a player that will get franchised. it's a huge number and completely changes the value of the player. If you tag them then their value is at a minimum the tag amount over several years.

Not so sure that either the Giants or Seahawks have interest in signing $35-$40 million a year and probably something close to $125 million guaranteed.

So they can likely do exactly what Carr can talk to all the teams and pick the best deal.

No one seems to be discussing this but both Geno and Jones have a lot more situational power than it seems.

Not necessarily saying we should sign either but they could both really shake up the QB market if they want to.

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

Jones seems like one of those coach-enhanced QBs that will faceplant on a different team.

Geno is resigning with the Seahawks. No way they dump him after the season he just had. He's their future.

Probably but the point is that the Seahawks have not as much control of that situation as it seems. Geno is guaranteed starter next year for Seattle but they could take QB with their first rounder this year and some team might be willing to pay him more than Seattle and they are really really unlikely to tag him

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Probably but the point is that the Seahawks have not as much control of that situation as it seems. Geno is guaranteed starter next year for Seattle but they could take QB with their first rounder this year and some team might be willing to pay him more than Seattle and they are really really unlikely to tag him

Why are the really unlikely to tag him?

• Upvote 1

You know why nobody talks about these two? They’re not going anywhere.

I had WFAN on for 10 minutes today and they had a Giants WR on named Isaiah something or other. Anyway he talked about a couple years ago when he was on the Bills practice squad and they were all in the locker room talking about other players. Someone asked who would be a comp to their QB He said of all the QBs in the league, they thought Jones would be the next Josh Allen, and Daboll agreed.

He’s Jones’ HC now. You think they’re going to let him leave?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

53 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I had WFAN on for 10 minutes today and they had a Giants WR on named Isaiah something or other. Anyway he talked about a couple years ago when he was on the Bills practice squad and they were all in the locker room talking about other players. Someone asked who would be a comp to their QB He said of all the QBs in the league, they thought Jones would be the next Josh Allen, and Daboll agreed.

Lol, Jones passed for 3200 yards in his "breakout" year.  That's just like Josh Allen if Josh Allen was forced to play drunk every game.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Lol, Jones passed for 3200 yards in his "breakout" year.  That's just like Josh Allen if Josh Allen was forced to play drunk every game.

When are people going to learn that judging qbs soley by yards is one of the worst ways to do it. 

You could be like oh 67.2 comp %? Dang Josh Allen has only done that once. 

3:1 td to int ratio? Dang Josh Allen has only done that once. 

700+ rushing yards with 7+ tds? Dang Josh Allen has only done that once 

Passer rating of 92.5? Dang Josh Allen has only surpassed that twice 

What was his Y/A? 6.8? That’s not too bad. Allen has had 6.8 or lower in 3/5 years. 

Who was his supporting cast? Oh it’s a bunch of bums and none of the wrs would be in our top 4. Imagine what he could do with someone like Garrett Wilson 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

First you downvote a post that’s relating a story, which is a pretty childish thing  to begin with, then you quote it In with a totally irrelevant post just to show off your lack of reading comprehension.

You’re behaving like a childish, immature fan. Another NFL player talking about his teams opinion of a Giants QB’s potential shouldn’t trigger your emotions. 

Yet sadly, it did, didn’t it?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm convinced a large portion of people don't even watch football games they just read box scores and watch hot take shows.

2 hours ago, Hex said:

Jones seems like one of those coach-enhanced QBs that will faceplant on a different team.

Geno is resigning with the Seahawks. No way they dump him after the season he just had. He's their future.

Geno was interviewed and he basically said that exact thing. He feels loyalty to them for the chance.

Jones --- the Giants would be crazy if they let him test free agency.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Been saying he's Josh Allen-lite. He should not hit the market, completely agree both stay.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jones was throwing to ... ah, I asked AI to explain what it was like when a QB had no talented receivers. This is what it gave me.

• It's like a chef who is trying to prepare a delicious meal with low-quality ingredients.
  • It's like a musician trying to perform a concert with a broken instrument.
  • It's like a painter trying to create a masterpiece with only a limited set of colors.
  • It's like a writer trying to create a compelling story with a limited set of characters.
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Jones was throwing to ... ah, I asked AI to explain what it was like when a QB had no talented receivers. This is what it gave me.

• It's like a chef who is trying to prepare a delicious meal with low-quality ingredients.
  • It's like a painter trying to create a masterpiece with only a limited set of colors.
  • It's like a writer trying to create a compelling story with a limited set of characters.

Those are actually pretty good!

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Jones has been in the league for 4 years.  How many more years of excuses will he get? 

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So we are just gonna ignore 700 rush yards and 7 touchdowns...can you name 1 WR from the Giants that you would want over any of our weapons? (Not just our WRs)

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, BurntDice said:

When are people going to learn that judging qbs soley by yards is one of the worst ways to do it. 

You could be like oh 67.2 comp %? Dang Josh Allen has only done that once. 

3:1 td to int ratio? Dang Josh Allen has only done that once. 

700+ rushing yards with 7+ tds? Dang Josh Allen has only done that once 

Passer rating of 92.5? Dang Josh Allen has only surpassed that twice 

What was his Y/A? 6.8? That’s not too bad. Allen has had 6.8 or lower in 3/5 years. 

Who was his supporting cast? Oh it’s a bunch of bums and none of the wrs would be in our top 4. Imagine what he could do with someone like Garrett Wilson 

Good points on Danny dimes. He showed some good running ability and I guess that’s where the Allen comparison comes from.  He’s a pretty big guy too.

56 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Good points on Danny dimes. He showed some good running ability and I guess that’s where the Allen comparison comes from.  He’s a pretty big guy too.

He also is a very accurate passer and he has great size to see down the field.  You give him some weapons and he's a top 10 NFL QB.  I would take him in a heartbeat.  He's over 80% in on target throws, compared to Carr who's in the low 70's.

• Upvote 1

I think Jones being back is a given, whether it’s an extension or tag. Story going around yesterday according to some of my Giant fan friends was in the neighborhood of 35m/ per. The bigger question they have is Barkley. RB in Daboll’s offense seems to be more of a committee than one stud. Realistically, you could argue with Allen and now Jones , their QB is their most effective RB.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

So we are just gonna ignore 700 rush yards and 7 touchdowns...can you name 1 WR from the Giants that you would want over any of our weapons? (Not just our WRs)

The 700 yards rushing proves that Daboll is an excellent offensive mind that squeezed every last thing out of Jones knowing that you can't trust him to win games throwing the ball 40 times a game like most "good" QBs.

Those runs were schemed and not a product of Lamar Jackson-esque escapability.

Geno shocked me utterly this year. It was one of those once-in-a-generation QB turnaround stories. They happen but the problem is there’s virtually no way to predict who that guy will be every 20 years except in hindsight.

However I wouldn’t want him back. First he has pending criminal charges that read pretty bad for him and I do not think he’d be able to duplicate 2022 in a different environment (maybe not even in the same environment).

Regarding Jones, always thought he was underrated but Daboll might be an actual wizard. Frankly, if Giants want him to roll as their 2023 starter I’d question his intelligence if he didn’t re-sign, even if it means giving a hometown discount.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The 700 yards rushing proves that Daboll is an excellent offensive mind that squeezed every last thing out of Jones knowing that you can't trust him to win games throwing the ball 40 times a game like most "good" QBs.

Those runs were schemed and not a product of Lamar Jackson-esque escapability.

Who cares if they are planned runs if Jones can execute it? We have had 1 RB in the last 5 years that has given us over 700 yards on the ground. And it's not like Jones took away from normal rushing production, Barkley had 1,300 yards. 

The Giants would be foolish to let him walk to another team.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Who cares if they are planned runs if Jones can execute it? We have had 1 RB in the last 5 years that has given us over 700 yards on the ground. And it's not like Jones took away from normal rushing production, Barkley had 1,300 yards. 

Jones is a good runner. Always has been.

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't think they have to worry about him walking.  Not many teams want to pay a QB big bucks that needs to be schemed into success.  His value is with the giants. He needs the giants more than they need him. 

Daboll is the star of that offense. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't think they have to worry about him walking.  Not many teams want to pay a QB big bucks that needs to be schemed into success.  His value is with the giants. He needs the giants more than they need him. 

Daboll is the star of that offense. 

No argument there, Daboll and Kafka are both very good offensive coaches but IMO the biggest leap in Jones production came from not turning the ball over, specifically fumbling in the pocket.

I guess the coaches probably emphasized ball security but I do credit Jones with that specific trait.

I’m thinking judge and the other giants coaches didn’t utilize Danny dimes correctly. Judge probably thought he was just another pocket passer ( or wanted him to be one) but a lot of QBs can be more successful by running as a way to keep the defenses off balance.  And they don’t need to be speedsters like Jackson or mike Vick. They just need to keep the defense honest.

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Everyone is completely assuming that Geno and Jones will just re-sign with their respective teams and that will be that.

Most people assume that Geno and Jones are staying put because most people know that both players have far less value outside of their current teams. On the flips side, the teams know these 2 can perform in their current system. So it just makes sense for Geno and Jones to stay. 

What teams are looking to give Daniel Jones a big contract so they can transform their entire offense around a guy that needs to be schemed to rush for 700 yards and has a long history of turnovers if forced to drop back. And we all know Geno's history.