The Great Jets QB Search - Mafia - SCUM AND SK JOINT VICTORY!!!!

jgb

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The spiciness continues even into postgame!  Fantastic modding debut lol.  

Honestly insane. Like not like “wow” insane more like “seek help” insane. Maniac spiral kicking a first time mod, quitting because it’s too unfair to scum and thus unwinnabe but then after scum wins taking credit while sucking it away from @BUM-KNEE. I just… I just don’t even know what to add lol.

The actual Zach Wilson has more self-awareness lol.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Honestly insane. Like not like “wow” insane more like “seek help” insane. Maniac spiral kicking a first time mod, quitting because it’s too unfair to scum and thus unwinnabe but then after scum wins taking credit while sucking it away from @BUM-KNEE. I just… I just don’t even know what to add lol.

NBD just your typical Mafia meltdown.  So when’s next game?  lol

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

NBD just your typical Mafia meltdown.  So when’s next game?  lol

And I actually disagree — it is a big deal. I spent over 100 hours on the game not to mention the time the players spent. My company is going IPO, I’ve got young kids, and the time zones are difficult to manage and represent a significant commitment. Basically it’s time theft when you try to pull the plug in end game. The normal rules would’ve called for the lynch vote to continue (bum to be lynched) eliminating scum right then. I made the call and ended the day immediately and counted the modkill as the day’s lynch to give you guys some satisfactory resolution out of the respect for the time spent.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

And I actually disagree — it is a big deal. I spent over 100 hours on the game not to mention the time the players spent. My company is going IPO, I’ve got young kids, and the time zones are difficult to manage and represent a significant commitment. Basically it’s time theft when you try to pull the plug in end game. The normal rules would’ve called for the lynch vote to continue (bum to be lynched) eliminating scum right then. I ended the day to give you guys some satisfactory resolution. 

Oh for sure I’m not trying to minimize that.  Just saying we’ve been there, done that Mafia-wise, lol.  

Apprecuate you.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh for sure I’m not trying to minimize that.  Just saying we’ve been there, done that Mafia-wise, lol.  

Apprecuate you.

There’s a difference between emo play and actually trying to implode a game and then having the — frankly — pathological urge to come back and claim credit for the win after the fact.

A bad call was made on the NK target. So what, it happens. Scum suffered target fixation on the cop rather than recognize that the math dictated that maximizing the chance to stick a town kill — any kill — at that point was the most likely winning path. Almost certainly if town had any protective means remaining they were going to be concentrated on the cop (crush or Hallia). Doesn’t mean the game is unwinnable or hopelessly unfair — as the end result definitively showed mere hours later (another hatip to jvill for validating the setup). In fact, scum could’ve had a solo win at the final moment had Bum backstabbed Hal and shot him dead. But Bum honored his word (and likely avoided making a mafia nemesis for life lol). Maybe not the choice I would’ve made, but I respect it.

So yeah, the only rational thing to do would be an apology (a face-saving one if ego doesn’t allow more) that perhaps the behavior was the result of an overreaction (incontrovertible by the fact scum won). But much like with gunning for crush, instead a less optimal choice was made with a significantly-worse expected outcome.

This is the first game Bum ever survived to the end and won. Almost on his birthday, no less. You’d have to be some kind of something to try to credit-take for that after nearly sabotaging it hours earlier.

But sometimes the reputation that precedes a person is accurate. 

7 hours ago, jgb said:

There’s a difference between emo play and actually trying to implode a game and then having the — frankly — pathological urge to come back and claim credit for the win after the fact.

A bad call was made on the NK target. So what, it happens. Scum suffered target fixation on the cop rather than recognize that the math dictated that maximizing the chance to stick a town kill — any kill — at that point was the most likely winning path. Almost certainly if town had any protective means remaining they were going to be concentrated on the cop (crush or Hallia). Doesn’t mean the game is unwinnable or hopelessly unfair — as the end result definitively showed mere hours later (another hatip to jvill for validating the setup). In fact, scum could’ve had a solo win at the final moment had Bum backstabbed Hal and shot him dead. But Bum honored his word (and likely avoided making a mafia nemesis for life lol). Maybe not the choice I would’ve made, but I respect it.

So yeah, the only rational thing to do would be an apology (a face-saving one if ego doesn’t allow more) that perhaps the behavior was the result of an overreaction (incontrovertible by the fact scum won). But much like with gunning for crush, instead a less optimal choice was made with a significantly-worse expected outcome.

This is the first game Bum ever survived to the end and won. Almost on his birthday, no less. You’d have to be some kind of something to try to credit-take for that after nearly sabotaging it hours earlier.

But sometimes the reputation that precedes a person is accurate. 

Awkward A Little Late With Lilly Singh GIF by Lilly Singh

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

About as balanced as my diet. Scum was bacon and town  was tofu. 

Lol yeah game was designed to hinge on you being able to empower Joe Willie’s full power and get town back in it. Picked you because you’re a master of avoiding lynch votes.

I mean it was a Jets theme game about QBs and you were frickin Joe Namath… like duh you were gonna be the coolest character and the star. But I couldn’t make you Uber powerful right away or town would’ve steamrolled scum.

• Haha 2

Just now, jgb said:

Lol yeah game was designed to hinge on you being able to empower Joe Willie’s full power and get town back in it.

I mean it was a Jets theme game about QBs and you were Joe Namath… like duh you were gonna be the star. But I couldn’t make you Uber powerful right away or town would’ve steamrolled scum.

I literally laid out the scum team in its entirety. That peek night 1 coming back town was a killer, any game cop peeks Godfather type role N1 is going to be tough sledding for town. If you did it again might want to link the cop up with a lover but a Mason. Be little tougher because wouldn’t know their alignment, but losing both Halia and I at once was it fir town. Vest gave us another night but they was it.  They still ended up with two dead townies  in two nights. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

I literally laid out the scum team in its entirety. That peek night 1 coming back town was a killer, any game cop peeks Godfather type role N1 is going to be tough sledding for town. If you did it again might want to link the cop up with a lover but a Mason. Be little tougher because wouldn’t know their alignment, but losing both Halia and I at once was it fir town. Vest gave us another night but they was it.  They still ended up with two dead townies  in two nights. 

Yeah I did struggle with it. Knew town would be down before you unlocked just didn’t know HOW down.

The weakness in the design was if you got voted D2, scum would’ve demolished town. It was all about you, Joe Willie.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah I did struggle with it. Knew town would be down before you unlocked just didn’t know HOW down.

The weakness in the design was if you got voted D2, scum would’ve demolished town. It was all about you, Joe Willie.

Probably should’ve had you be able to unlock your powers with different triggers rather than making it all-or-nothing on one trigger

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I was hoping you would investigate me so I would come back Town at the end. LOL

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I was hoping you would investigate me so I would come back Town at the end. LOL

Yeah I mean town had to deal with 3 out of 4 anti-town players coming back Jets in investigations before Crusher unlocked his power. If Crush didn’t unlock, scum wins an easy victory.

Sooooo unnnfffaaaair for scum!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Thank you for moderating. Good game all. I won’t sign up again until the house stuff is less consuming. Will just lurk. 

House renovations are horrible. Good luck man 

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

Another reason I couldn’t press until day 3. Great game with a few balance issues. Hell of am undertaking for first time mod. This game will teach you the things that will make your next modded  game an all time great  game. Book it. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I literally laid out the scum team in its entirety. 

I just want to point out the big guy did this with only 2 results in hand—

-a “jets” result on nyn

-a “jets” result on JiF

Impressive deductive work

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Another reason I couldn’t press until day 3. Great game with a few balance issues. Hell of am undertaking for first time mod. This game will teach you the things that will make your next modded  game an all time great  game. Book it. 

I am most proud of Ape’s mechanic. First vote each day double, if he changed vote, single. It was basically a de facto post restriction in a way that forced him to play the exact opposite of his meta 

• Upvote 1

Just now, BUM-KNEE said:

The dead thread mustve been gold LOL

Actually it was… kinda dead. Drums didn’t join to be ready as a sub if needed. 80 stayed with you guys. And after the drama, we ran so fast I didn’t add the final 4 or so dead.

2 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Ahhhh

I loved the final outcome though. I have to admit I starting pulling for Hal after Zach was somehow still alive D2…D3…D4(!!)…

But you def earned a claim of the co-championship.

• Upvote 3

@Hal N of Provo Zach's death scene I had prepared since before game started lol:

Finally, one fair-haired lad raises his hand as if he was sitting in high school algebra, “Excuse me? I just want to point out that we don't really need to find anyone else, do we? I mean, we already have the perfect in-house solution – and by that I of course mean me.”

Like a lightening bolt, the lad's words trigger the worst impulses of all in the room. They snarl and jump on him like a pack of rabid wild dogs. As they are ripping him to pieces, he gets out his final words, “I'll be banging all your moms in hell!

Zach Wilson (Hal) – Independent Serial Killer has been torn to itty bitty narcissistic pieces.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

@Hal N of Provo Zach's death scene I had prepared since before game started lol:

Finally, one fair-haired lad raises his hand as if he was sitting in high school algebra, “Excuse me? I just want to point out that we don't really need to find anyone else, do we? I mean, we already have the perfect in-house solution – and by that I of course mean me.”

Like a lightening bolt, the lad's words trigger the worst impulses of all in the room. They snarl and jump on him like a pack of rabid wild dogs. As they are ripping him to pieces, he gets out his final words, “I'll be banging all your moms in hell!

Zach Wilson (Hal) – Independent Serial Killer has been torn to itty bitty narcissistic pieces.

EPICNESS

• Haha 2

I don’t care if a game ever does end up unbalanced.  This one did not (hat tip @jgb), but there are a million variables in these games.  

And everyone playing this game on JN is willing to make bold plays - which makes it unpredictable.  

Scum always has it tough.   A perfect game falls apart with a minor misstep. Scum trying to play perfect is also a misstep lol.  They have their chat and some OP stuff too.  

• Post of the Week 2

Just now, Hal N of Provo said:

I don’t care if a game ever does end up unbalanced.  This one did not (hat tip @jgb), but there are a million variables in these games.  

And everyone playing this game on JN is willing to make bold plays - which makes it unpredictable.  

Scum always has it tough.   A perfect game falls apart with a minor misstep. Scum trying to play perfect is also a misstep lol.  They have their chat and some OP stuff too.  

My greatest fear -- and I suspect anyone trying to design one of these -- is that a scum gets lynched D1. That's difficult to account for and basically triples town's victory percentage.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Yeah and it would be fine.  It’s going to happen 1/3 of the time lol.  

It's like anything -- more casual players who do it for fun like you and I -- just do it for the fun.

The expert players and more competitive types hold games to a higher standard. Not knocking that, just suggesting that people should expect some rough spots with a first time mod -- it was explained several times by me that it was my first time.

I accidentally posted some setup info in the Scum Chat (I had thought I was in Dead Thread, lol). Quickly deleted it though. Bum saw at least some of it -- it was basically speculating how you can win lol. But at that point everyone had basically deduced you were likely third party and it was confirmed shortly afterward anyway with that night kill sent the game was 3 scum v. 3 non-scum and didn't end.

Rookie mistake lol.

• Haha 3