Jump to content

1st round pick, Will McDonald doing good in the neighborhood


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, JiF said:

100% but the good stuff these guys do goes untouched 99% of the time but if it was a juicy controversial story.....the pages would be flowing! What I appreciate in this one is he seems genuinely happy to be there and if anyone has had a child/friend/loved one go through this as a kid (so wrong) you'd know how important these visits are.  I lost a cousin at 16 to Leukemia, to this day, her father talks about when Don Mattingly came to visit her and then invited her to tour the dug out.  Does it remove the pain and suffering?  Of course not but a fond memory to share goes a very long way while you're battling the unimaginable. 

So true.

I know you are a young dad and all I could ever do is wish continued health for your children and family. 

Many on here are battling serious illness and as a grandfather, my biggest fear as I go through the latter stages of my life is the health and fear of God that a serious illness would ever hit them. I am not afraid of death, people or even a doctor giving me a serious diagnosis, but kids - it should simply never happen but of course that is not reality.

You are so correct when the media would be all over this kid if he got a speeding ticket, DUI or other non favorable news event. 

At the least our own Jet reporters could cover stories like this as I am sure the majority of the players do charitable or comforting events.

Just a different world and always look for the negative attention I guess.

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Visiting sick kids is always good PR.   Nice to see he has a good agent, advisor or team-PR direction.

For those lambasting the media, they (the media) understand this is routine PR, and thus it gets PR-level coverage.  Helping old ladies across the street after your agent and the team-assigned PR guy tell you to do so and organizes it for you isn't really a big story.

More interesting will be what he does on the field this year.  PR is one thing, sacks are are a whole other thing.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Visiting sick kids is always good PR.   Nice to see he has a good agent, advisor or team-PR direction.

For those lambasting the media, they (the media) understand this is routine PR, and thus it gets PR-level coverage.  Helping old ladies across the street after your agent and the team-assigned PR guy tell you to do so and organizes it for you isn't really a big story.

More interesting will be what he does on the field this year.  PR is one thing, sacks are are a whole other thing.

Man, that is a rough take and I hope it is not as accurate as that. My hope is that there are a good number of players that do this of their own accord, without an agent prompting them for PR stunts. Don't disillusion me now. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Does literally everything really need the imprint of your cynical, REAL TALK takes?

No more or less than it needs your takes, mate. 

None of us are "needed" here.  We're all just opining.

23 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

  The guy is in a children's hospital visiting sick children, seems to be giving his heart doing it, and the kids seem to be appreciative.

All true.

Doesn't change anything I said.

Two things can be true at the same time.  

  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No more or less than it needs your takes, mate. 

None of us are "needed" here.  We're all just opining.

All true.

Doesn't change anything I said.

Two things can be true at the same time.  

Holy hell dude.  

Have you not heard of these stories and sometimes them leading to more then just a visit?  Yes, every teams PR sets these up but there is a reason you dont see every single players video but not all of these are PR, some do it on their own will.   Will is seemingly passionate about this.  What if this motivates him to set up a foundation?  Oh, wait, I'm sure that would be just a not so cool tax right off, me like sacks? 

dude.  unreal.  this is seriously poor form dude.  Just dont post in the thread,  I mean, why do this? .  You're clearly just to be sh*tty, and for what?  To look cool? 

  • Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Wow, really?  Cant you just let it be a feel good story?  I dont even understand why you'd post this?  Like, just to be sh*tty?  Like did you really just say sacks is more interesting then being a shining moment, which could possibly be their last, in a child's life?

If the story makes you or others feel good, why do you care if I view it cynically?

Does how I feel change in some way how YOU feel?  That would be odd.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I mean, yeah, dude, obviously it's PR

So I'm right, as you admit here, but I just shouldn't say it out loud.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

If you read my story, these  visits are incredibly meaningful for the patients and their family.

I'll repeat myself, two things can be true at the same time.

I'm sure the sick kids and their families enjoy it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the story makes you or others feel good, why do you care if I view it cynically?

Does how I feel change in some way how YOU feel?  That would be odd.

So I'm right, as you admit here, but I just shouldn't say it out loud.

I'll repeat myself, two things can be true at the same time.

I'm sure the sick kids and their families enjoy it.

It's just unnecessary bad negative energy in a feel good positive thread but whatever, you do you.

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Have you not heard of these stories and sometimes them leading to more then just a visit?

Extremely rare, but yes it does occasionally happen.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yes, every teams PR sets these up

So again, everything I said was factually right, but you're still hyper-offended.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Will is seemingly passionate about this.

Good for him.  I hope that's true.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

What if this motivates him to set up a foundation?

What if it doesn't?  We doing hypotheticals now?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Oh, wait, I'm sure that would be just a not so cool tax right off, me like sacks?

My only meaningful interest in this player is what he does as a Jet on the field.   if he wasn't a Jet, none of us would care what sick kids he visits.

And lets be clear here JiF, that's YOUR only real interest too at the end of the day.

If he plays every down the next three years, and gets only 1 sack the whole time, you'll be screaming for his ouster.  

No matter how many sick kids he visits, or grannies he helps cross the street.

So please spare me your moral superiority routine, or just put me on ignore.    

Quote

you do you

Always have, always will.

  • Ugh 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Warfish said:

Extremely rare, but yes it does occasionally happen.

So again, everything I said was factually right, but you're still hyper-offended.  

Good for him.  I hope that's true.

What if it doesn't?  We doing hypotheticals now?

My only meaningful interest in this player is what he does as a Jet on the field.   if he wasn't a Jet, none of us would care what sick kids he visits.

And lets be clear here JiF, that's YOUR only real interest too at the end of the day.

If he plays every down the next three years, and gets only 1 sack the whole time, you'll be screaming for his ouster.  

No matter how many sick kids he visits, or grannies he helps cross the street.

So please spare me your moral superiority routine, or just put me on ignore.    

Wow.  Just wow.  

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean, amazing.  I post a video of a player visiting children w/ life threating diseases and this is what transpires.  Well done @Warfish  I hope you're proud of yourself.  I'm not going to put you ignore because I want to bask in my ivory tower of moral superiority as I look down on your pitiful miserable existence. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JiF said:

I mean, amazing.  I post a video of a player visiting children w/ life threating diseases and this is what transpires.  Well done @Warfish  I hope you're proud of yourself.  I'm not going to put you ignore because I want to bask in my ivory tower of moral superiority as I look down on your pitiful miserable existence. 

Only thing I see here is your usual massive over-reaction and typical hypersensitivity.

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Warfish said:

Nothing to deal with, it's just funny how much control over your emotions a castoff cynical post of mine seems to have.  

Yes, you're right, you're dealing w/ it so well, look at you, so cool in your emotions.  

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Visiting sick kids is always good PR.   Nice to see he has a good agent, advisor or team-PR direction.

For those lambasting the media, they (the media) understand this is routine PR, and thus it gets PR-level coverage.  Helping old ladies across the street after your agent and the team-assigned PR guy tell you to do so and organizes it for you isn't really a big story.

More interesting will be what he does on the field this year.  PR is one thing, sacks are are a whole other thing.

So if it were your sick kid in a hospital and a favorite player, or a player from your kids favorite team came in to cheer up your kid, maybe help in some way you’d say the same lame thing?   Because seriously, you should have just skipped the comments.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

Only thing I see here is your usual massive over-reaction and typical hypersensitivity.

 

Actually your comments were a massive over reaction.  A young player, who you know nothing about, what he chooses to do to help people or not and you decided that it was a PR stunt akin to someone helping an old lady crossing the street.  Only after your agent or the team-assigned PR guy tell you to do so and organizes it for you isn't really a big story.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

So if it were your sick kid in a hospital and a favorite player, or a player from your kids favorite team came in to cheer up your kid, maybe help in some way you’d say the same lame thing?   Because seriously, you should have just skipped the comments.  

I'll keep repeating myself till you folks get it:  Two things can be true at the same time.

1. This is a PR exercise.  Even JiF admitted that fact up front.

2. It is still a 'good thing' generally, and could of course be meaningful to the sick kids in question.

The point of my reply was primarily in response to the comment by Jif where he said:  

"100% but the good stuff these guys do goes untouched 99% of the time but if it was a juicy controversial story.....the pages would be flowing!"

The fact is the media doesn't cover this much because it is routine PR. 

A player law-breaking controversy sells alot more newspaper/website hits than routine good-will PR does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll keep repeating myself till you folks get it:  Two things can be true at the same time.

1. This is a PR exercise.  Even JiF admitted that fact up front.

2. It is still a 'good thing' generally, and could of course be meaningful to the sick kids in question.

The point of my reply was primarily in response to the comment by Jif where he said:  

"100% but the good stuff these guys do goes untouched 99% of the time but if it was a juicy controversial story.....the pages would be flowing!"

The fact is the media doesn't cover this much because it is routine PR. 

A player law-breaking controversy sells alot more newspaper/website hits than routine good-will PR does.

Who cares if it was a PR exercise?  
You don’t know that was his motivation, it could be something he’s done before and enjoys.

Have no clue as to how this only generally a good thing, cheering up kids in a hospital.  Even if it was his agent telling to do it.  Too many don’t do things like this.  Appreciate the ones who do and don’t argue over motivation behind it because you don’t have a clue to what his motivation was

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who cares if it was a PR exercise?  

I did.  Obviously.

And it was relevant to what I was responding to, as noted.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:


You don’t know that was his motivation, it could be something he’s done before and enjoys.

You're 100% right, I don't know.

Neither do you.  Neither does any of us.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Have no clue as to how this only generally a good thing, cheering up kids in a hospital.

What word would make you happy?  Spectacular?  Colossal?  Massively magnanimous?

A good thing is a good thing.  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

 Even if it was his agent telling to do it.  Too many don’t do things like this.  Appreciate the ones who do and don’t argue over motivation behind it because you don’t have a clue to what his motivation was

Cool. 

So what difference does what I think make?  Celebrate it all you want, and be happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Extremely rare, but yes it does occasionally happen.

So again, everything I said was factually right, but you're still hyper-offended.  

Good for him.  I hope that's true.

What if it doesn't?  We doing hypotheticals now?

My only meaningful interest in this player is what he does as a Jet on the field.   if he wasn't a Jet, none of us would care what sick kids he visits.

And lets be clear here JiF, that's YOUR only real interest too at the end of the day.

If he plays every down the next three years, and gets only 1 sack the whole time, you'll be screaming for his ouster.  

No matter how many sick kids he visits, or grannies he helps cross the street.

So please spare me your moral superiority routine, or just put me on ignore.    

Always have, always will.

Jeez man!! Leave the thread, it’s obviously not for you. Wow!

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And it was relevant to what I was responding to, as noted.

Given you don’t know the motivation and just threw it there it wasn’t relevant in any way 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're 100% right, I don't know.

Neither do you.  Neither does any of us.

But only one person questioned his motivation and pretty much shlt on him for doing something nice, something more should do.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A good thing is a good thing.  

You’ll couldn’t even say that, you had to add the “generally” part to the equation, which after trashing him for doing it helped how?

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So what difference does what I think make? 

When you put it out there, it’s open for discussion.    Wondering why no one seems to agree with your cynical take here?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe what is being missed here is  @JiFlost a teenage cousin to illness and mentioned how meaningful it was to have Mattingly reach out and visit.

sure we all have personal opinions but sometimes it is simply not the time or place to take the antagonistic view

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, JiF said:

 

Thank you...

I for one am very very fortunate to be able to work in and around people who are helping people and making people feel wonderful.

So I really am not so cynical, but hopeful that together, when we act like Will did here, we do make the world in our own little way, a better and more loving place.

Thank you again for posting this......................

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Visiting sick kids is always good PR.   Nice to see he has a good agent, advisor or team-PR direction.

For those lambasting the media, they (the media) understand this is routine PR, and thus it gets PR-level coverage.  Helping old ladies across the street after your agent and the team-assigned PR guy tell you to do so and organizes it for you isn't really a big story.

More interesting will be what he does on the field this year.  PR is one thing, sacks are are a whole other thing.

He needs to prove it on the field. I’m not impressed.  Respect is earned, not given. Being on time is late. Honor your commitment.  Love god , your country and your mother. 
 

You should just copy that and use it for all of your future posts 😂

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...