1st round pick, Will McDonald doing good in the neighborhood

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I did miss that.  Completely.  I only read the first line of that post (media to good stuff vs. bad stuff) before I replied.

You're right Trotter.  With that added info in mind, an antagonistic (or cynical....perhaps a distinction without a meaningful difference here) reply was uncalled for in light of that personal issue.

Seems I'm the arsehole after all.  

I'm sorry @JiF

Had I read your post more thoroughly the first before rushing to responding your reaction might have made more sense, and that's entirely on me.  We may still disagree on this stuff more broadly/conceptually, but you have my sincere (public) apology (and no, you are under no requirement to acknowledge or accept it).

Baby Hat GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Visiting sick kids is always good PR.   Nice to see he has a good agent, advisor or team-PR direction.

For those lambasting the media, they (the media) understand this is routine PR, and thus it gets PR-level coverage.  Helping old ladies across the street after your agent and the team-assigned PR guy tell you to do so and organizes it for you isn't really a big story.

More interesting will be what he does on the field this year.  PR is one thing, sacks are are a whole other thing.

I guess you never saw Pride of The Yankees

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

Visiting sick kids is always good PR.   Nice to see he has a good agent, advisor or team-PR direction.

For those lambasting the media, they (the media) understand this is routine PR, and thus it gets PR-level coverage.  Helping old ladies across the street after your agent and the team-assigned PR guy tell you to do so and organizes it for you isn't really a big story.

More interesting will be what he does on the field this year.  PR is one thing, sacks are are a whole other thing.

Is this shtick? Obviously its PR to some degree, but consider that being drafted into the NFL gives a lot of guys status and financial freedom that they didn't have prior which allows them to do more things like this. Your whole post detracts from the strong possibility that McDonald is genuinely happy to have the opportunity to give back.

100% but the good stuff these guys do goes untouched 99% of the time but if it was a juicy controversial story.....the pages would be flowing! What I appreciate in this one is he seems genuinely happy to be there and if anyone has had a child/friend/loved one go through this as a kid (so wrong) you'd know how important these visits are.  I lost a cousin at 16 to Leukemia, to this day, her father talks about when Don Mattingly came to visit her and then invited her to tour the dug out.  Does it remove the pain and suffering?  Of course not but a fond memory to share goes a very long way while you're battling the unimaginable. 
Like GW with the kid on 1JD that called out the draft pick .. truly heartwarming... Authentic humans being drafted by the team these days ...

Thank You Joe Douglas Thank You !

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nice to see your retraction, so I don't want to make light of that. I apologize only once every 5-10 years myself as an an egomaniacal, elitist haploid cell, so that would've been difficult for me.

Even absent @JiF's own family experiences, it's still a great thing to see & warms the heart. One thing I (like to) think still applies, no matter one's views on any array of subjects, is that seeing good behavior in others can be contagious. What constitutes good behavior can be subjective from person to person, but not this one: visiting total-stranger children undergoing treatment in a cancer hospital is a pure good by any standard. It begets other good behavior in others (no, not in all; but in many). Why do players choose to visit cancer hospitals - children's cancer hospitals at that - so often? They've seen other players do it; they see the positive effects for the giver and the recipient alike; the next player seeing it maybe wants some of that & then does the same himself. I love it.

There are plenty of ways for a player to get good PR for himself. I think this is one of the best ways of doing it, as it has a lasting positive effect on the recipients even if the masses don't remember these PR efforts years later, or never even saw it in the present. Like, I didn't know about the individual Mattingly anecdote above; I'd never heard of it; but it was great for the family, both the decedent (at the time) and his surviving family members. Even without changing health outcomes on an individual level, I take for granted we all like to recall happy memories of those we lost, and this provided a heartwarming one they'll never forget, and surely still brings a smile to an otherwise purely-sad memory of time in a cancer hospital.

We're an emotional species, so we like to see & experience objectively nice things, and this is a particularly nice thing as such. That he had it video-recorded & distributed doesn't detract from it. This one makes us all feel better about WMD as a person, and makes us feel better that someone is doing a little something for these strangers when most of us clearly are not.

He doesn't have to do this for PR. Case in point, see Becton's version of well-received PR videos he's put out there, which are all 100% about himself getting into shape. So, the more people gain an affinity for McDonald because of this may further help encourage the next player to make this their PR-tweet instead of posting a picture of himself with a comparatively-puny Schwartzenegger: charitable behavior begetting charitable behavior.

We all get where you were initially coming from: that if it was purely selfless he could've done it without having it recorded/distributed, and an unknown many players have done just that for decades. I do think the more that do this & make it visible the more you get others doing it, too. That more than overcomes any less-than-selfless aspect one might imagine; greater good being served & all.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

ezgif-4-0ad75a2b0a.gif

Yall can let him up now.

It's deserved tho, so it's all good.

I've been around this (or old JI's) community a very long time, most folks know me and know my proclivity for cynicism and anti-homerism and pessimism and the like. That's why I have the quote I do in my signature here, to remind me from time to time.....should have paid more attention to it for this thread.

But I try to own it when I **** up, and I ****ed up here.  Period endstop.

Players visiting sick kids is a good thing.  PR, team-driven, or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/14/2023 at 6:29 AM, Kleckineau said:

Big shoes to fill.

KId looks lean but so wide across shoulders.

Gonna be a big problem for opponents.

I am usually not fond of these type actions being used for PR but bottom line is its nIce to see him being philanthropic.

Should have given him #999 and drafted him in round 999