Max Mitchell

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Back to relying on our presumptive starters.  Shocking!

Yup.

and if you end up having to play one of the others - because 39 year old Brown can't go - or Becton can't get past 20 plays a week..This will be on JD.  

Having your two presumptive starters being so high risk, on a "win now" is bordering on malpractice.

I hope he knows more about these two than we do.

• Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Why, because he gave up a sack in a practice? We need to stop overreacting to every play in practice and preseason. The season is still a month away and FWIW Mitchell did play pretty well last year. 

Mitchell played Well when AVT was next to him. Once AVT got injured, Mitchell's performance took a nose dive. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup.

and if you end up having to play one of the others - because 39 year old Brown can't go - or Becton can't get past 20 plays a week..This will be on JD.  

Having your two presumptive starters being so high risk, on a "win now" is bordering on malpractice.

Max Mitchell was a decent starter last year... He is obviously struggling bad in the beginning of camp but to think this is some FU by the FO because he is struggling is Naive.. He will improve and this will all be forgotten in a few weeks.

8 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Max Mitchell was a decent starter last year... He is obviously struggling bad in the beginning of camp but to think this is some FU by the FO because he is struggling is Naive.. He will improve and this will all be forgotten in a few weeks.

Mitchell wasn't good last year - that was more of a Jet fan thing.  He was solid in his first week or so, but like anything else - D's figured him out and attacked his weaknesses - and they showed.  Right now he's not a starting caliber T.  He may someday get there, but it's not now and not in a year when you think you have Super Bowl aspirations. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup.

Yep.  Every team needs five starting tackles or it is malpractice on the GM!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

More like this, but yeah. Max isn't a starting level player. Carter Warren will be better very soon.

Based on what?  They’re both 4th round picks.  One guy has shown he can be a competent RT in NFL games.  The other guy has never played a down in an NFL game. 

More like this, but yeah. Max isn't a starting level player. Carter Warren will be better very soon.

Based on what?  They’re both 4th round picks.  One guy has shown he can be a competent RT in NFL games.  The other guy has never played a down in an NFL game. 

If Brown is really starting at LT why isn't Becton lining up at RT during TC and pre-season?  It looks like the plan right now is for Mitchell to start at RT.   Becton needs rep at RT if he's going to start at RT.  Right now it looks like they want Becton to hold up and hold down the LT spot. 

The rap on Mitchell was he wasn't strong enough.  He was sick last year.  He may not have been able to bulk up as needed because of health.  If so he's going to get pushed around.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yep.  Every team needs five starting tackles or it is malpractice on the GM!

Honestly, that's dumb.

No team should be going into the 2nd pre-season game with neither of the potential starting T's capable of playing (as part of the plan)

One of which hasn't played in two years.

The T situation on the Jets this year has been terribly mismanaged by the GM - I can't even believe there are people still pretending it hasn't.

What I don't want to hear later when Becton can't play - or Brown's shoulder doesn't heal - was excuse making for JD.  "Injuries happen" nonsense.  This is going to come back to bite this team in the ass and it won't be Becton's fault.

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, that's dumb.

No team should be going into the 2nd pre-season game with neither of the potential starting T's capable of playing (as part of the plan)

One of which hasn't played in two years.

The T situation on the Jets this year has been terribly mismanaged by the GM - I can't even believe there are people still pretending it hasn't.

What I don't want to hear later when Becton can't play - or Brown's shoulder doesn't heal - was excuse making for JD.  "Injuries happen" nonsense.  This is going to come back to bite this team in the ass and it won't be Becton's fault.

Honestly, it is the same bullsh*t all camp.  

How many games has Brown missed?  I get that Becton is a question mark but sh*tting your pants after the earliest preseason game humanly possible and a joint practice sounds like SOJ fans.  PANIC!  They have Brown and Becton and signed a guy that Rodgers specifically likes.  The fact that Mitchell, a 2nd year player coming from a small conference and being moved back and forth from left to right, has some struggles does not  make him such a horrible option for #4 or 5 tackle.  No matter how you spin it.

Let’s keep in mind the rookie phenomena.  Teams are overcoached/overscouted and oftentimes underestimate rookies/new players.  Mitchell was the new kid on the block, and then he got hurt.  

Teams have some film on him from last year.  It could get rough.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Honestly, it is the same bullsh*t all camp.  

How many games has Brown missed?  I get that Becton is a question mark but sh*tting your pants after the earliest preseason game humanly possible and a joint practice sounds like SOJ fans.  PANIC!  They have Brown and Becton and signed a guy that Rodgers specifically likes.  The fact that Mitchell, a 2nd year player coming from a small conference and being moved back and forth from left to right, has some struggles does not  make him such a horrible option for #4 or 5 tackle.  No matter how you spin it.

I should say, I couldn't care less about yesterday's practice and how they performed.  This has been a major concern all off-season - I just heard people telling me how good Mitchel and Turner are - others are starting to see the reality now.

Mitchell and Turner are fine back ups, assuming you have reliable starters.   Which we do not.  Additional note - at this time last year the Jets were trying to bring Brown in as a back up LT.

Again, all of this would even be fine - if this team didn't fancy itself Super Bowl contenders.  Super Bowl Contenders with 40 year old QB's - don't go into the season with no starting Tackles.