Guess some of you need to hear this: Zach Wilson (and his $23 mil 5th yr option) has no Future in NY

Paradis

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It never ceases to amaze how the absolute best scenario for this team is for Zach to turn it around and a group of fans are so sure it can’t ever happen that they want him gone.  
Every report out of camp was he looks different.  Betting those podcasts you listen to have said as much.  Then he goes out and plays 2 pretty nice games in the first two preseason games and now this group is tripping over themselves to explain what we clearly see as improvement really isn’t for some cherry picked reason.  Or because they hate to tell us he’s gone no matter what.  Because after 20, 22 games whatever, that was his career.  
What Geno was or wasn’t has nothing to do with where ZW will be in the eyes of the team.  

You got it wrong here if you think that’s what this is about.

The whole reason I started this thread was to point out how arguing over Zach is exercise in folly. Doesn’t matter how well or poorly JN thinks he played - there’s virtually no way this plays out where he’s on the team after 2024. Very very unlikely. If he starts to come on strong - he’ll be getting courted by other teams. If he stinks, we’re not gonna keep running it back with him. 

Aaron here in 2023 and 2024 and Zach’s contract are diametrically opposed to scenarios that keep him in NY

• Upvote 2
  • En Fuego 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Seriously, some of you need to be walked through this?… Forget his dumpster fire play on the field — Aaron committing to at least 2024 officially (and thankfully) ends any speculation. 

we’re not picking up Zach’s roughly $23+ million dollar 5th year option. 

we’re not gonna double done on him with an extension in 2024 after backing up Arod for 2 yrs

we’re not going to forego drafting a QB in 2025 or signing a veteran because “let’s run it back with Zach”

it’s over. Done. He’ll be cut or traded long before he ever gets named QB1 again here. 

Dude, you have zero clue what's gonna happen. It's unlikely that he will be back, but it's not impossible.  Who would have thought a year ago that Aaron Rodgers would WANT to play for the Jets?  Even after he said that he wanted to play here, who would have ever thought that he would give up $35 million in his contract to help the team, or that he would talk about playing 2-3 years?  You and everyone else would have said there's no way any of those things would have happened.

Jets fans claimed that Becton was a bust and wouldn't look good, but he's looking better and better with each passing day.

Jets fans claimed that Zach sucked and there was no way that he could improve, yet he's learning and progressing.

Contrary to popular thought among many Jets fans, neither you, nor I, nor any of us don't know everything.  We don't have a crystal ball to see the future.  The odds aren't always right.  People overcome seemingly impossible odds every day.  Things happen that no one could have forseen.

I always have to laugh at posts where the posters states things as if they're fact and that they know the future, when the things they said are not facts, but rather opinions, and they can't see the future any better than any of the rest of us.

• Upvote 2

Do you know what a 5th yr option looks like.  He’ll be a FA after 2024 with no reason to come back 

My god. Not only do you start yet another Zach bashing thread but you are not even informed on the situation. It is far from a binary decision.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wit said:

I really respect your level headed posts, but as much as it would be nice for him to turn it around, he will never live up to anything close to his draft status.

He doesn’t need to at this point, I’ll take Alex Smith rebirth(remember, he sucked it first), with more athleticism, and a better arm.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The whole reason I started this thread was to point out how arguing over Zach is exercise in folly. Doesn’t matter how well or poorly JN thinks he played - there’s virtually no way this plays out where he’s on the team after 2024. Very very unlikely. If he starts to come on strong - he’ll be getting courted by other teams. If he stinks, we’re not gonna keep running it back with him. 

Aaron here in 2023 and 2024 and Zach’s contract are diametrically opposed to scenarios that keep him in NY

I  love when people pick post something that is not at all true and then just repeat that stupid thing over and over with not an iota of thought or research

• Upvote 1

Just now, JKlecko said:

Dude, you have zero clue what's gonna happen. It's unlikely that he will be back, but it's not impossible.  Who would have thought a year ago that Aaron Rodgers would WANT to play for the Jets?  Even after he said that he wanted to play here, who would have ever thought that he would give up $35 million in his contract to help the team, or that he would talk about playing 2-3 years?  You and everyone else would have said there's no way any of those things would have happened.

Jets fans claimed that Becton was a bust and wouldn't look good, but he's looking better and better with each passing day.

Jets fans claimed that Zach sucked and there was no way that he could improve, yet he's learning and progressing.

Contrary to popular thought among many Jets fans, neither you, nor I, nor any of us don't know everything.  We don't have a crystal ball to see the future.  The odds aren't always right.  People overcome seemingly impossible odds every day.  Things happen that no one could have forseen.

I always have to laugh at posts where the posters states things as if they're fact and that they know the future, when the things they said are not facts, but rather opinions, and they can't see the future any better than any of the rest of us.

vv 

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m gonna resort to reposting this part over and over again. This isn’t about the potential for a 30 for 30 story of redemption. It’s a contract inevitability. 

• Thumb Down 1

Amazes me that after 2 years and countless Zach threads they are still chock full of “I don’t think Zach will improve-“ “OMG YOU HATE ZACH YOU WANT HIM TO FAIL!!”

So we went from “Peyton Manning slow rookie season” comparisons to “Alex Smith early career turnaround” comparisons.  In five years it’ll be “Geno comeback career” regretful comparisons.

Will it ever end?  Will reality ever sink in?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

If he plays well at all at any point (and let’s say you’re even rooting for Zach) it’s still nearly inconceivable that he comes back here. His agent will levy that into a better offer for a team to get a fresh start as an unchallenged starter. The GM/Joe can’t afford to get bitten 2x on the same QB by signing Zach to an extension for 60-70 million. Zero chance. 

zach would need a full season as a starter HERE where played a 11+ win season. That just won’t happen here before the jets have to pony up more money. 

It’s just not in the cards 

I know you think you know everything, that's obvious by the tone of your posts, but you don't.  In fact, you have no eye for QB talent if you think Zach doesn't have any talent, you have no imagination/creativity when it comes to player contracts, and no idea what the Jets think about Zach or Zach thinks about the Jets.  A lot of things could change between now and 2025.  God forbid, Rodgers could get hurt this season, miss 3-4 games late in the season, and Zach could play at a high level and save the season. Therefore, it's totally ridiculous to make a post like yours at this time.

Since you can't seem to envision a scenario under which Zach could stay or why the Jets would want to keep him or why he might want to stay, I'll spell it out for you.

This is Zach's 3rd season. If Zach continues to learn and fixes his issues before the end of this season. the Jets could decide to offer Zach a reasonable 1-2 year extension that would begin in the 2025 season that was filled with easily achieved incentives/goals, and escalators that would increase the value and the length of the contract to 4-5 years if he played well in 2025 and the team made the playoffs.  Even if they don't do it following this season, they could do it during next season, as he continues to show that he is ready to take over the reins.  It would be to the Jets advantage to be able to salvage Zach and have Rodgers' heir apparent.  It could be to Zach's advantage to stay here on a young hungry team where he knows everyone, knows the scheme, and has developed chemistry with his receivers.  If Zach then succeeded he would become an all-time great in the NYC sports pantheon.  He might stay out of pride, not wanting to have his time here be a failure.  He might stay out of gratitude for the Jets not giving up on him and continuing to believe in him.  It doesn't matter what the agent does, Zach will make the call where he wants to play. Rodgers isn't just have an impact on Zach's mechanics and reading Ds.  I'd be willing to be he's influencing his attitudes as well.  After seeing Rodgers give back $35 million, Zach could easily decide to help the Jets and at the same time bet on himself to succeed and achieve any and all incentives so be willing to take the risk of making less money.

He also could just play out the short-term extension, would have proved himself for overcoming the adversity he has faced in the bright glare of NYC, and he could pretty much write his own ticket to whereever he wanted to play.  The point is NO ONE knows what will happen over the next two years, if Zach will wind up playing during the regular season, and if so, how he will play.  If he plays very well, no one knows what the Jets or Zach will do and/or how they will react, so it's totally ridiculous for any fan to make so many posts as if you know the future and what's going to happen.  You don't.

Zach would have more worth to the Jets than to any other team for a couple of reasons, so they could be willing to pay him more than any other team.  One, they know that he knows the system, already has chemistry with the receivers, and if they're willing to offer him another contract or an extension, they believe that he will be their FQB going forward. Two, if Zach won't be the successor, then they're going to have a very hard time finding a quality QB to succeed Rodgers.  They'll be drafting at the bottom of the round and won't have the draft position to get an elite QB prospect, so would either have to roll the dice and hope they could find another Tom Brady somwhere below the 1st round or would have to mortgage their future to trade up to draft another elite QB prospect.  In that scenario, they wouldn't have a quality vet for the rookie QB to sit and learn behind, so it could be a similar situation to what Zach went through, except we'd have an experienced OC and HC.  Chances are that they wouldn't be able to trade for a good QB or sign one in FA, either because this year was an anomaly.  Very good/great QBs usually don't be come availble except at the very end of their careers. So Zach would solve the problem of whom the successor would be, and would also remove all the criticism that JD has taken for drafting Zach. It would prove that he, the Jets Scouts, and CS was right initially.  It would also provide greater stability and continuity.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

And if he doesn’t compare to Alex Smith rebirth?

Then what?  You’re better off drafting a younger, cheaper QB in hopes of getting a game manager.

Alex didn’t get replaced by a HOF’er and sit for 2 years either.  

• Thumb Down 1

13 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Amazes me that after 2 years and countless Zach threads they are still chock full of “I don’t think Zach will improve-“ “OMG YOU HATE ZACH YOU WANT HIM TO FAIL!!”

So we went from “Peyton Manning slow rookie season” comparisons to “Alex Smith early career turnaround” comparisons.  In five years it’ll be “Geno comeback career” regretful comparisons.

Will it ever end?  Will reality ever sink in?

Dude, you don't know any more than Paradis.  Give it a rest.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

vv 

I’m gonna resort to reposting this part over and over again. This isn’t about the potential for a 30 for 30 story of redemption. It’s a contract inevitability. 

Continuing to post your stupid, inane opinion doesn't make it fact.  Repeating wrong information or lies doesn't make them accurate or true.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

The only thing that is folly is your thinking that you're so smart and know everything.  You are clueless.  Know-it-all Jets fans and posters like you are a dime a dozen on Jets fan sites, and you all drag the level of conversation/discussion down.  

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Seriously, some of you need to be walked through this?… Forget his dumpster fire play on the field — Aaron committing to at least 2024 officially (and thankfully) ends any speculation. 

we’re not picking up Zach’s roughly $23+ million dollar 5th year option. 

we’re not gonna double done on him with an extension in 2024 after backing up Arod for 2 yrs

we’re not going to forego drafting a QB in 2025 or signing a veteran because “let’s run it back with Zach”

it’s over. Done. He’ll be cut or traded long before he ever gets named QB1 again here. 

Zach signs an extension for the 5th and 6th year. Takes over as QB1 when Aaron moves on.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I know you think you know everything, that's obvious by the tone of your posts, but you don't.  In fact, you have no eye for QB talent if you think Zach doesn't have any talent, you have no imagination/creativity when it comes to player contracts, and no idea what the Jets think about Zach or Zach thinks about the Jets.  A lot of things could change between now and 2025.  God forbid, Rodgers could get hurt this season, miss 3-4 games late in the season, and Zach could play at a high level and save the season. Therefore, it's totally ridiculous to make a post like yours at this time.

Since you can't seem to envision a scenario under which Zach could stay or why the Jets would want to keep him or why he might want to stay, I'll spell it out for you.

This is Zach's 3rd season. If Zach continues to learn and fixes his issues before the end of this season. the Jets could decide to offer Zach a reasonable 1-2 year extension that would begin in the 2025 season that was filled with easily achieved incentives/goals, and escalators that would increase the value and the length of the contract to 4-5 years if he played well in 2025 and the team made the playoffs.  Even if they don't do it following this season, they could do it during next season, as he continues to show that he is ready to take over the reins.  It would be to the Jets advantage to be able to salvage Zach and have Rodgers' heir apparent.  It could be to Zach's advantage to stay here on a young hungry team where he knows everyone, knows the scheme, and has developed chemistry with his receivers.  If Zach then succeeded he would become an all-time great in the NYC sports pantheon.  He might stay out of pride, not wanting to have his time here be a failure.  He might stay out of gratitude for the Jets not giving up on him and continuing to believe in him.  It doesn't matter what the agent does, Zach will make the call where he wants to play. Rodgers isn't just have an impact on Zach's mechanics and reading Ds.  I'd be willing to be he's influencing his attitudes as well.  After seeing Rodgers give back $35 million, Zach could easily decide to help the Jets and at the same time bet on himself to succeed and achieve any and all incentives so be willing to take the risk of making less money.

He also could just play out the short-term extension, would have proved himself for overcoming the adversity he has faced in the bright glare of NYC, and he could pretty much write his own ticket to whereever he wanted to play.  The point is NO ONE knows what will happen over the next two years, if Zach will wind up playing during the regular season, and if so, how he will play.  If he plays very well, no one knows what the Jets or Zach will do and/or how they will react, so it's totally ridiculous for any fan to make so many posts as if you know the future and what's going to happen.  You don't.

Zach would have more worth to the Jets than to any other team for a couple of reasons, so they could be willing to pay him more than any other team.  One, they know that he knows the system, already has chemistry with the receivers, and if they're willing to offer him another contract or an extension, they believe that he will be their FQB going forward. Two, if Zach won't be the successor, then they're going to have a very hard time finding a quality QB to succeed Rodgers.  They'll be drafting at the bottom of the round and won't have the draft position to get an elite QB prospect, so would either have to roll the dice and hope they could find another Tom Brady somwhere below the 1st round or would have to mortgage their future to trade up to draft another elite QB prospect.  In that scenario, they wouldn't have a quality vet for the rookie QB to sit and learn behind, so it could be a similar situation to what Zach went through, except we'd have an experienced OC and HC.  Chances are that they wouldn't be able to trade for a good QB or sign one in FA, either because this year was an anomaly.  Very good/great QBs usually don't be come availble except at the very end of their careers. So Zach would solve the problem of whom the successor would be, and would also remove all the criticism that JD has taken for drafting Zach. It would prove that he, the Jets Scouts, and CS was right initially.  It would also provide greater stability and continuity.

Dude I’m not here to debate whether he’s talented or not. There’s 14 other threads for that. There’s so many unlikely/non-sensible scenarios you outlined in here I don’t know what to tell you. Very little of it actually makes sense for Zach or the Jets. From the extension next year to going into 2025 or maybe even 2026 hedging your bets on Zach… the whole thing is a tough sell for a GM and Zach’s agent would have many reasons to go in other directions. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Paradis said:

Dude I’m not here to debate whether he’s talented or not. There’s 14 other threads for that. There’s so many unlikely/non-sensible scenarios you outlined in here I don’t know what to tell you. Very little of it actually makes sense for Zach or the Jets. From the extension next year to going into 2025 or maybe even 2026 hedging your bets on Zach… the whole thing is a tough sell for a GM and Zach’s agent would have many reasons to go in other directions. 

The last part is the interesting part. The agent could definitely blow the whole thing up. But the kid is embracing the backup role, it is a chance that most never get after failing. He sees Baker, Darnold and others moving around and the stability is appealing here. Crazy thought Jets and Stability.

It is definitely too early to say he will be here long term, but there is a chance, if the rebounds I think he could get a new contract here for sure.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Zach signs an extension for the 5th and 6th year. Takes over as QB1 when Aaron moves on.

I don’t know how that makes sense for either party. It would be unheard of for a team to go into a season with their ex-franchise QB 3 years removed from starting and not draft/sign another legit QB for Zach to compete against. I can’t imagine Zach’s reps wanting/supporting that path. His stock around the league would have to be non existent I would wager. 

• WTF? 1

39 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

And if he doesn’t compare to Alex Smith rebirth?

Then what?  You’re better off drafting a younger, cheaper QB in hopes of getting a game manager.

The way this team is built, we can’t just throw another rookie in there… We would have to go to veteran route.. you could draft a quarterback, and actually let them sit for a year or two

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Paint the picture for me. In what universe do the jets pick up Zach’s bloated 5th yr option.

I'm not sure anyone ever expected the Jets to pick up that option but that does not mean he wont be signed on the cheap. 

I'm no fan of Zach at all but if Rodgers can reach him and put that talent to work It may pay to give him one shot on the cheap after Rodgers retires and I'll explain. 

If Zach does learn from Rodgers and plays well in that first year after Rodgers retires that's good for us and at that point we can take a real look at signing him or shipping him off . If he once again sh*ts the bed we will probably have a top 5 pick to use on a future QB. This does not by any means mean we should not take some QB's over the next few years in the mid rounds hoping we hit the jackpot because we 100% will do that.

My prediction is he may clean up some stuff as it seems he is making some decent strides so far in preseason (key word Preseason) but I do not have faith he can become our starting QB moving forward after Rodgers leaves whether that be 2 years 3 years or even 4. I see about an 80 % chance he fails if given the shot and that's an Improvement from the 95% chance I previously had.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

The only thing that is folly is your thinking that you're so smart and know everything.  You are clueless.  Know-it-all Jets fans and posters like you are a dime a dozen on Jets fan sites, and you all drag the level of conversation/discussion down.  

Hey we aren't looking to drive people away from the site. So no need to attack people like this.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Wit said:

I really respect your level headed posts, but as much as it would be nice for him to turn it around, he will never live up to anything close to his draft status.

Thanks!

I’m not dumb, it would be hard to justify his draft status.  But that pick is long gone.  If he can become productive why is that a problem.  
After their rookie seasons Lawrence and Zach were both bottom of the league QBs, neither looking like they justified their draft position.  Lawrence continued being so-so until mid season year two while Zach nosedived.  So who knows but what’s really annoying is someone who claims to have watched both games won’t even admit he looks better so far this season.  

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It is definitely too early to say he will be here long term, but there is a chance, if the rebounds I think he could get a new contract here for sure.

It’s the time frame that makes it’s wildly unlikely. Not the possibility of him improving or even a scenario where the jets want to continue to developing him. Declining his 5th yr option (a near certainty), and Aaron starting for the next 2 yrs at least - how Joe and Zach’s team stay married in 2025 and beyond would be a tale of business science fiction to me. 

• Upvote 2
  • En Fuego 1

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don’t know how that makes sense for either party. It would be unheard of for a team to go into a season with their ex-franchise QB 3 years removed from starting and not draft/sign another legit QB for Zach to compete against. I can’t imagine Zach’s reps wanting/supporting that path. His stock around the league would have to be non existent I would wager. 

Well we are in unheard of times. The Jets have a QB that has 4 MVPs and an offensive coordinator that was with him for the two most recent ones.

Will Zach be here? If you have to bet, right now you have to bet against him based on his track record. But damn Aaron is in his ear every damn move. So if any young QB ever had a shot to do the unheard of, it is Zach.

Two years of live games. Two years of learning after that. I think the 5th year option is a long shot, but there is a chance for an extension.

The other scenario is, the Jets win the Super Bowl this year and Aaron Rodgers retires.  Zach balls out and they pick up his 5th year option.  Hey, it is nice to dream!

• Upvote 3

Just now, Paradis said:

It’s the time frame that makes it’s wildly unlikely. Not the possibility of him improving or even a scenario where the jets want to continue to developing him. Declining his 5th yr option (a near certainty), and Aaron starting for the next 2 yrs at least - how Joe and Zach’s team stay married in 2025 and beyond would be a tale of business science fiction to me. 

Agreed, I think the only way it works is if they sign an extension. Hard to see either scenario (paying 23 mm or more to a backup QB) or (declining the option and brining him back as a free agent -- if he had worth).

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The podcasts don’t bring up Zach Wilson except as a cautionary tale as to what happens if you screw up a proper tanking. As to what the org thinks of him, they went out and hired Nate Hackett so they’d have a chance to send two picks to Green Bay for a 40 year old QB, and this was after ending last season playing a busted up Mike White for every snap in a do or die game against Seattle, then coming back in a worthless Week 18 game against the Dolphins and giving Joe Flacco every snap in that one. No one is rooting against Zach Wilson. Most are just being realistic about his chances to becoming what we all wanted Sanchez and Darnold and Pennington and O’Brien to be. 

Newsflash for the podcast bloggers whoever, there wasn’t a proper tank because teams don’t tank.  
This all started because I was discussing Zach and said he looks better.  Something pretty much every media outlet has said.  This has opened up the floodgates from a handful of posters who are falling over themselves to say he doesn’t look improved, nothings different, that he was inaccurate or whatever their lying eyes saw

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The podcasts don’t bring up Zach Wilson except as a cautionary tale as to what happens if you screw up a proper tanking. As to what the org thinks of him, they went out and hired Nate Hackett so they’d have a chance to send two picks to Green Bay for a 40 year old QB, and this was after ending last season playing a busted up Mike White for every snap in a do or die game against Seattle, then coming back in a worthless Week 18 game against the Dolphins and giving Joe Flacco every snap in that one. No one is rooting against Zach Wilson. Most are just being realistic about his chances to becoming what we all wanted Sanchez and Darnold and Pennington and O’Brien to be. 

What O'Brien was. Not to be. Was.

Take Kenny's name out of your damn mouth!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I didn’t mean to include you with those who this is defiantly what it’s all about.  Sorry about that

If Rodgers is healthy and decides to run it out there  out there how is zach going to draw interest from other teams though if he’s not playing game?  The Jets have practices etc to go by but other teams?  The great Minshew couldn’t get anyone to offer him a starting gig.  If he gets in games, plays well and draws interest then all the he sucks and never will amount to anything talk is defeated

44 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Or how about the Jets win the SB THIS year.

Aaron retires and gets his equity in the team in exchange for the rest of the owed money.

Zach is our QB.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Lol. You guys. 

Find me another  “drafted in the top 5 QB who sucked, got replaced by a franchise QB, and then decided to stick around for journeyman money after the smoke cleared”.  Where’s that list. 

Find me one QB in that same scenario who did not stick around.

BTW although a “franchise” QB was not involved, Alex Smith resigned with the Niners and stuck around to “compete” for the job. And lets not forget, our franchise QB is on the cusp of retirement and we have a GM who likes to have a plan and build through the draft. What are JDs post Rogers plans at QB? Right now IMO his plan is hoping that Hackett and Rogers can fix Wilson. If that is not option A, what is?

• Upvote 3