IMHO = Top 10 Roster Spot Battles to Watch in Preseason Game 3 tonight

Great post as always.  Thanks.  In no particular order:

1. I think Kuntz is safe.  I think I've read he's doing really well on special teams so Boyer will likely protect him.  Davis may be another Boyer guy, too.

2. I'm sure Rodgers has input on some of this.  Would think Mitchell might be vulnerable.

3. Suspect Bryce Hall is a goner continuing the trend of JD's 2020 draft class busts

4. Want to see tonight's game and the Giants game, but if Wilson can continue to show progress and basic competency to run the offense, it would not surprise me to see JD carry only two QBs and use that roster spot for either the OL or DL

• Upvote 2

Nice summary, tu!

We played Tippman at LG last week. Would love to see Tomlinson sent to the showers.

Rogers seems to love Malik Taylor. I think they played together in GB?

Ashtyn Davis plays Teams too, so that may save him, although I think JD would trade him in a heartbeat if he could.....

MC vs Bam at RB...I read Hacket loves to use a FB, so that right there may take up one of the spots....both MC and Bam could be traded/cut.

1. Carter- i think Bamm can clear waiver to the PS. Carter will not.

2. Yeboah- same as above, Kuntz clears waivers. perfect guy to be on the PS to learn for next year. how many 7th rd picks makes there team . none the less in there 1st season.?

3. Gipson. had some nice KR or PR.  that makes him a keeper.

4. Turner- if you cut Turner some will get him. plus he might not want to go to the PS cause there is always someone looking for a vet OL.

5. McGovern-. he is the starter week 1.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Irvin Charles vs Xavier Gipson vs Malik Taylor WR
It's possible none of them make it, but 1 likely will.  Is Brownlee even still in this conversation?

This is the one that I'm really focused on.  I think that all of these young receivers are in the conversation.  I really have no idea who makes the team, and who gets cut.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I wonder if JD will have any success trading this year during/after cut downs

he had a chance to trade Mims last offseason and didnt pull trigger

If you could get a 5th round pick for Carter would you take it? I would.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Top 10 Roster Battles to Watch Tonight

1. Michael Carter vs Bam Knight RB
    Hall, Cook, and Abanikanda are safe, so this is an actual roster spot battle - no way both make it
  2. Kenny Yeboah vs Zach Kuntz TE
    Is EJ Jenkins a possibility?  If the Jets even keep 4 TEs, this is going to be a difficult cut
  3. Irvin Charles vs Xavier Gipson vs Malik Taylor WR
    It's possible none of them make it, but 1 likely will.  Is Brownlee even still in this conversation?
  4. Billy Turner vs Max Mitchell OT
    If Brown comes back, Becton is good to go and assuming Carter Warren is safe, we might see a surprise cut here - both could make it, of course
  5. Wes Schweitzer vs Connor McGovern IOL
    If Tippmann wins the center job, it sets up a possible battle between these 2 for the last spot at C/G -both could sill make it.  Can the Jets afford to keep 9 offensive linemen?
  6. Quinton Jefferson vs Solomon Thomas DT
    Going to be hard to keep both.  With WIlliams and Woods the starting DTs and JFM and Clemons able to rotate in there some, this will be interesting to watch.  Can the Jets keep
    6 DEs (Lawson, McDonald, Johnson, JFM, Clemons, Huff) AND 4 DTs (Williams, Woods, Thomas, Jefferson)?
  7. Chazz Surratt vs Nick Vigil vs Claudin Cherelus LB
    Not sure of Surratt's injury status.......Cherelus sat out last week.   Could the old veteran reliable Vigil sneak onto the roster?
  8. Craig James vs Derrick Langford vs JImmy Moreland vs Bryce Hall CB for 2 CB spots
    Sauce, Reed, Carter II, and Hardee are safe, Echols is safe after his 1 week suspension.....who gets the last 1 (or 2) spots?
  9. Ashtyn Davis vs Trey Dean vs Marquis Waters vs Dane Cruikshank at S
    Adams, Whitehead, and Amos are safe. Davis is a veteran, UDFAs Waters and Dean have looked really good.  Cruikshank is talented but has bounced around with injuries....
  10. Tim Boyle vs every QB who will be cut in 2 weeks
    There will be a LOT of good QBs released after the preseason....can Boyle prove he deserves to stay?

Here's the issue what will happen and what should happen are vastly different things.

Unfortunately, draft status means a lot to a GM and being  a veteran means a lot to a head coach, so it makes it super hard  for UDFAs to get a roster spot. 

Example: Trey Dean is easily playing the best of the 3 fringe safeties on the field. But Davis is a former high level draft pick by JD and a veteran for Saleh and he plays special teams so he is almost a lock even though Dean is probably the best player.

On the WR front unless they  are just giving PR/KR duties to Mecole I think Xavier is close to a lock. Rodgers likes both Taylor and Brownlee so they will be in the mix too. Irvin Charles is out IMO he seems to not have progressed over last year. Again, what thy should do is practice squad Cobb but they wont.

I think the Jets might keep some odd numbers this year at certain positions.

I do NOT think Hardee is a lock. There are several key players they may decide to keep in lieu of Hardee.

TE is tough as I am not sure Yeboah or Kuntz make it through the waiver wire. I actually excpect a phantom injury maybe a hangnail to put Kuntz on IR for a year. Conklin and Uzomah are both likely gone. I actually think Yeboah is better than Uzomah at this point but again UDFA and not a veteran,

Draft slot and experience will be the deciding factor in almost all of these even though it shouldn't. So:

1. Carter

2. Yeboah or neither

3. Taylor

4. Both, draft will trump veteran in this case so Mitchell if one

5. McGovern but I think both stay

6. Thomas (Still think the Jets might move Huff he is not seemingly valued by them)

7. Surratt, Cherelus to IR

8. Hall and Moreland

9. Davis (should be Dean)

10 Boyle  to PS. Jets will roster 2 QBs

• Post of the Week 1

Sarge, you have the most thought provoking threads. 

1. I’m glad that I don’t have to make this call. If forced to I would probably keep Carter and hope Bam makes it to the PS.

2. Is it possible that Ruckert goes on short term IR and they keep Kuntz and Yeboah? Not sure how bad his shoulder is. I would love to see Jenkins slide through to the PS. He looks like he has a future.

3. I think Gipson has a slight edge due to his return ability.

4. I think Turner and Mitchell both make it due to health concerns for the others. You may see Warren go on the IR.

5. I think McGovern and Schweitzer both make it.

6.We are so strong on the Defensive line I don’t know how they don’t cut 2 or 3 really good players.

7. I like Surratt

8. I think James gets that spot.

9. I like Dean there.

10. I think Boyle gets cut and they sign him or someone else’s cut to the PS.

It’s nice to have so much talent that it is tough to make some of the cuts.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Nice summary, tu!

We played Tippman at LG last week. Would love to see Tomlinson sent to the showers.

Rogers seems to love Malik Taylor. I think they played together in GB?

Ashtyn Davis plays Teams too, so that may save him, although I think JD would trade him in a heartbeat if he could.....

MC vs Bam at RB...I read Hacket loves to use a FB, so that right there may take up one of the spots....both MC and Bam could be traded/cut.

Malik Taylor is a good athlete, speed, can jump, fine agilities, nice size.

https://ras.football/2020/01/08/malik-taylor-ras/

Charles seems to be coming on, making plays at practice. Strong

good size, strong, son uva b*tch

• Upvote 2