Saleh Press Conference 9/12

Dunnie

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Eh, I'm often absurd to be fair.  Sometimes even on purpose.

I think the 24-hour rule needs to be in effect after Rodgers.  A think more than a fair few of us were full loons after the "seriously, only 4 f'in plays?  And done for the year?  WHAT??!!??" moment last night.

Sanity seems to be returning, albeit we definitely have alot of post-injury optimistic optimists, who think ZW is going to lead us to the promised land, or that a Wentz or similar will come in and savior us, etc.  

I have found in life that most optimists are optimistic.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It's really depressing to the fanbase, or at least to those of us who have a brain. Look I love a good story, I love comebacks. I wish Zach well. But we have a roster that needs to win now, not justify a failed project. Zach is uniquely terrible and cannot make the most basic of throws. I hope he's lying through his teeth and we have a new QB soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

I have found in life that most optimists are optimistic.

I find that most incessant optimists are also egotists who think they're simply better human beings than pragmatists, pessimists or realists.

They're also horrible gamblers and predictors of outcomes, generally.  

12 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The Jets just beat the Bills with Zach Wilson playing just about the entire game and not preparing to play. So, the Jets will be a worse team after Wilson practices as the starter and the game plan will be based on having Wilson as the starter? People make no sense and lack the ability to be objective about any subject that involves even one iota of emotion.

Wilson hat nearly no part in that victory - but i hope he will show something on sunday - the victory on monday night came from the defensive turnovers, the special teams and him "not losing" the game

• More Ugh 1

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

Probably the same way we are trying to understand the relentless positivity that homers find in failure and tragic defeat. Someone who’s still happy when their HOF QB goes down, or is unrelentingly unrealistically aggressively positive about his backup in defiance of every available data point.  

We all feel our love for the Jets our own way and cope our own way.

No one is happy Rodgers went down, I don’t think you’ll find one Jets fan who is happy about it.  And there is happiness in having a roster so talented that even with a QB you believe his backup can’t win because of data points collected in the past, refuse to believe players can improve did manage to win his first test.

The difference is believing is what fans do, at least until it’s after the fact and it all went to hell.  We’re not there yet, no one’s cancelling the season for us, we can still win enough games to be happy given the circumstances.  
Predicting 6-7 wins and then proudly predicting that at least now this regime will be fired is the mindset of a miserable fan, overstating the situation.  Saleh and JD aren’t going anywhere, Saleh can coach and JD knows how to procure talent.  Why the F would anyone want them fired is beyond me.  Yes I’m a fan but betting a fan doesn’t mean you’re blind.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No one is happy Rodgers went down, I don’t think you’ll find one Jets fan who is happy about it.

You're probably right.

But now that it's happened, our friends @Dunnie and @Hal are about as happy as they've been in quite some time it seems.

And there is happiness in having a roster so talented that even with a QB you believe his backup can’t win because of data points collected in the past, refuse to believe players can improve did manage to win his first test.

I don't really understand what you're saying here.

Any pessimism I have today is specific to the QB position, and directly based on that QB's results and observed flaws in his first two seasons.  I'm very happy with the roster overall, albeit Cook and Cobb (and to a lesser degree Lazard) feel less like the right guys now that Rodgers is out, and perhaps out permanently (TBD, clearly).

The difference is believing is what fans do, at least until it’s after the fact and it all went to hell.  We’re not there yet, no one’s cancelling the season for us, we can still win enough games to be happy given the circumstances.

Pessimistic analysis of some aspect of your team =/= hate, or lack of fandom, or abandoning the team, or being "miserable", or being a bad fan, or whatever other things people like to sling around.

Be assured, I'll be watching every game, rooting like a dumbass that Zach becomes an all-pro lol.

Predicting 6-7 wins and then proudly predicting that at least now this regime will be fired is the mindset of a miserable fan, overstating the situation.

I liken it to the fans already calling for us to tank for Caleb in the 2024 draft.

While I think that is misguided, the fan calling for that clearly must believe it's the best route for the team to a Super Bowl at some point.

In the same way, some fans might believe JD and Saleh aren't the guys to win a Super Bowl here, so wanting them gone is a means to (they would hope) hire the next guys who could be the kind to lead to a Super Bowl.

All different routes to the universally hoped for end result, a jets Super Bowl.

Agree or not with those takes, they want what I want, what you want.  A title.  They just see a different way to get there.  Doesn't make them miserable at all.  Anymore than fans who constantly support bad players the produce bad results (clearly not a great way to win a Super Bowl) hoping they'll "get better" are miserable.  All are perhaps simply misguided, only results will tell who was right and who wasn't.

Saleh and JD aren’t going anywhere, Saleh can coach and JD knows how to procure talent.  Why the F would anyone want them fired is beyond me.  Yes I’m a fan but betting a fan doesn’t mean you’re blind.  

We'll see.  I haven't taken a position as yet on their future. 

What I have said, repeatedly, is that a decision is almost assuredly to be made by Woody this coming offseason, and the results of the Rodgers trade, and this season, will (I think) strongly play into Woody's decision.

I don't see Woody leaving JD as a lame duck in his final contract year in 2024.  That's quite rare in the NFL for GM's I believe.

• Thumb Down 1

18 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think you guys can kill the Phillip Rivers (or whoever) dreams

saleh just committed to Zach as strongly as he ever has.

this is either going to be a train wreck or an “us against the world” playoff push. 

Committing to Zach is one of the dumbest moves. You aren't going to get anyone to come out of retirement if they aren't sure they'll be starting. That entire faction of options is now out the window.

7 minutes ago, Jetsruby said:

Committing to Zach is one of the dumbest moves. You aren't going to get anyone to come out of retirement if they aren't sure they'll be starting. That entire faction of options is now out the window.

It's not what I would have done. I would have been much more non-committal. 

I assume their plan is to bench Zach if he sucks and play whichever vet backup they bring in. 

My guess is they aren't looking that seriously at the bigger names who are retired. It's going to be a Chad Henne type of guy. We aren't signing Phillip Rivers, or Big Ben, or even Carson Wentz, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

I find that most incessant optimists are also egotists who think they're simply better human beings than pragmatists, pessimists or realists.

They're also horrible gamblers and predictors of outcomes, generally.  

Could not disagree more on the egotist part, that goes both ways.  There are eternal optimists and there are eternal pessimists (glass half full, glass half empty).  While polar opposites, if you hold a mirror to each of them, they are exactly the same as the other with regard to tolerance of others and an honest assessment of the situation.  Each of them have a distorted view of potential outcomes.  Most of us are pragmatic, taking an honest, realistic view of things while hoping for the best.  As a fan, there is nothing wrong with that.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

Could not disagree more on the egotist part, that goes both ways.

It absolutely does, I agree.  

Homers think they're better because they're "not miserable" and don't do things that make them unhappy and because they are better fans.

Haters think they're smarter because they can separate their intellect from their fandom and don't need faux-optimism all the time to validate what they are.

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

There are eternal optimists and there are eternal pessimists (glass half full, glass half empty).  While polar opposites, if you hold a mirror to each of them, they are exactly the same as the other with regard to tolerance of others and an honest assessment of the situation.  Each of them have a distorted view of potential outcomes.  Most of us are pragmatic, taking an honest, realistic view of things while hoping for the best.  As a fan, there is nothing wrong with that.

Pretty spot on.  

• Upvote 1