Justin Pugh

BCJet

So apparently the Giants, while trying to figure out a long term solution, put Justin Pugh back on the practice squad.  It seems like he is looking for a higher contract then a typical veteran which may be complicating the situation as the Giants have under $4 million in cap space.  The Jets currently have a little over $5 million

Here are the numbers of where Pugh has played in his career - Sunday night he played mostly at LT.

Pugh, 6-5 and 311 pounds, has played in 120 regular-season games with 119 starts – 36 at right tackle, 26 at left guard and one at left tackle for the Giants and 47 at left guard, seven at right guard and two at right tackle for the Cardinals. He has also started one postseason game for each team at left guard.

Is this not someone we should be signing at this point given the injuries on the line?  We can slot him in to start at RG with almost an entire extra week to rest from his first start in a year while learning the system and also have him as a potential fill in at RT with Duane Brown coming back to be the backup at LT.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

14 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So apparently the Giants, while trying to figure out a long term solution, put Justin Pugh back on the practice squad.  It seems like he is looking for a higher contract then a typical veteran which may be complicating the situation as the Giants have under $4 million in cap space.  The Jets currently have a little over $5 million

Here are the numbers of where Pugh has played in his career - Sunday night he played mostly at LT.

Pugh, 6-5 and 311 pounds, has played in 120 regular-season games with 119 starts – 36 at right tackle, 26 at left guard and one at left tackle for the Giants and 47 at left guard, seven at right guard and two at right tackle for the Cardinals. He has also started one postseason game for each team at left guard.

Is this not someone we should be signing at this point given the injuries on the line?  We can slot him in to start at RG with almost an entire extra week to rest from his first start in a year while learning the system and also have him as a potential fill in at RT with Duane Brown coming back to be the backup at LT.

Depending on the severity of Tippmann's injury I would expect Douglas to bring
in 1-2 OLinemen for depth.  I would be fine with Collins and/or Pugh, once that's
done I hope Hackett/Carter have a mini-competition during the bye to see who
starts at RG and RT

• Upvote 1

I don't think it is a terrible idea, but I don't think that the Giants are a team I would be looking to poach from.  Frankly, for the right side I would probably fine with Ogbuehi.  I think he did fairly well last year, though these guys might not like him as much.  I would be interested about bringing in Collins.  I have not heard boo since his visit.  He was supposed to see the Giants, but I have no info on if that ever happened. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Once Duane Brown is activated, I think he needs to accept he is now a RT vs. expecting Becton to slide over again.  Becton next to Tomlinson seems to be working okay right now...

I really think people underestimate just how hard it would be for someone who is 38 and who has only played LT to suddenly move to the right side without an off season. There is simply too much LT muscle memory built up at the point in Browns career to make that change so quickly, even for a professional athlete.

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I really think people underestimate just how hard it would be for someone who is 38 and who has only played LT to suddenly move to the right side without an off season. There is simply too much LT muscle memory built up at the point in Browns career to make that change so quickly, even for a professional athlete.

Yes.  Brown will be the back up LT.  Insurance for when/If Becton goes down.

• Upvote 2