Media slowly coming for JD

kevinc855

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

That was the reality when rodgers got hurt.  The team was built for him and truth they may be winning the division if he plays every game this year.  

When rodgers was out for the year it was already plan B, which was try to salvage Wilson before it all implodes again, they can’t hide him anymore and they’re going to have to draft another qb in 2024.  

But they won't be drafting any QB unless it's a late round dart throw, because Plan A was always Rodgers playing 2-3 years and that's how long they were/are willing to take for Wilson to develop into the starter. That plan hasn't changed (yet).

• Upvote 2

It could work if you have a qb who can run a basic offense besides rodgers so a lot of this goes back to the org. Not having the balls to move on from Wilson.  

Yes I definitely agree but those QBs are elite / rare and once Rodgers retires we need someone to develop a new QB.

This head coach and oc are not those people. The only thing saving Saleh's job is a Super Bowl win with Rodgers and that will buy him an extension. Anything short of that, he's out when Rodgers leaves.

It could work if you have a qb who can run a basic offense besides rodgers so a lot of this goes back to the org. Not having the balls to move on from Wilson.  

I don't think it's a balls thing.  I think they genuinely think that they'll rehab/develop Wilson.

Truth be told if Wilson was the backup who only had to start a game or two this year and we are sitting 6-2 with Rodgers right now, the fanbase wouldn't be so up in arms with that plan. It just sucks that this year was flushed before it even began.

Here's to hoping the rest of season people develop and stay injury-free and get ready for 2024 with a fully repaired #8.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, as you may know I’ve since recanted my unconditional support of the Rodgers move in light of the increasingly imbalanced annoyance:production ratio with him.

There was the thing they ethically should have done: trade Zach for whatever and tank, effectively committing hari-kari because they ****ed up with the Zach pick.

There was the half-measure: keeping Zach, signing a Brissett type, and staffing up OC with someone else’s no-account receiver’s coach with a death wish. 

Or, they did what they did, which was push all the chips in on Rodgers and his boys. Which they lost. 

I still feel like it was a worthwhile gamble because two of the three options result in a house-cleaning which, honestly, has some appeal. But, you’d be asking Woody Johnson to hire another GM and/or coach, which would be bad. At least with Rodgers, we delayed that humiliation for a year in exchange for a different kind of humiliation.

serious question, if we tank and get a high draft pick, are you comfortable with this regime selecting and developing a QB? Or, are you banking on them getting a new regime in to make that high draft pick?

13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't think it's a balls thing.  I think they genuinely think that they'll rehab/develop Wilson.

Truth be told if Wilson was the backup who only had to start a game or two this year and we are sitting 6-2 with Rodgers right now, the fanbase wouldn't be so up in arms with that plan. It just sucks that this year was flushed before it even began.

Here's to hoping the rest of season people develop and stay injury-free and get ready for 2024 with a fully repaired #8.

This is my belief too that the org thinks they can rehab Wilson and turn him into something. My guess is Rodgers somehow plays into that line of thinking as well. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

serious question, if we tank and get a high draft pick, are you comfortable with this regime selecting and developing a QB? Or, are you banking on them getting a new regime in to make that high draft pick?

If they consciously tanked? Both Douglas and Saleh are probably gone and they’d dangle Drake Maye to Ben Johnson or whoever. Then Woody would **** up Ben Johnson

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don’t think they’ll be able to justify developing Wilson after this season if they miss the playoffs.  I think at that point you have to cut bait and draft another guy, even if it’s in the 3rd round.  Rodgers will be even more succeptable to injury next season and if you go in with Wilson again, rodgers gets hurt and you miss the playofffs again then you would have a team revolt and i think that’s when the gm would have to get fired.  You just can’t go into next season with Wilson here.  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

This is my belief too that the org thinks they can rehab Wilson and turn him into something. My guess is Rodgers somehow plays into that line of thinking as well. 

It’s not working though.  He’s the worst starter every year.  So no, there’s no rehab anymore.  They’re going to get spanked on national tv again.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, as you may know I’ve since recanted my unconditional support of the Rodgers move in light of the increasingly imbalanced annoyance:production ratio with him.

There was the thing they ethically should have done: trade Zach for whatever and tank, effectively committing hari-kari because they ****ed up with the Zach pick.

There was the half-measure: keeping Zach, signing a Brissett type, and staffing up OC with someone else’s no-account receiver’s coach with a death wish. 

Or, they did what they did, which was push all the chips in on Rodgers and his boys. Which they lost. 

I still feel like it was a worthwhile gamble because two of the three options result in a house-cleaning which, honestly, has some appeal. But, you’d be asking Woody Johnson to hire another GM and/or coach, which would be bad. At least with Rodgers, we delayed that humiliation for a year in exchange for a different kind of humiliation.

I get the logic, but I don’t agree that two of the three options necessarily result in a house-cleaning. Actively tanking again, yes. But Brissett probably has this team at 6-2. And what if instead of tanking, they’d made the Rodgers deal, but for C.J. Stroud? Part of my problem with the Rodgers deal is that it wasn’t just an admission that they had gotten the QB situation wrong, but an admission that they didn’t think they could possibly get it right.

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s not working though.  He’s the worst starter every year.  So no, there’s no rehab anymore.  They’re going to get spanked on national tv again.

Im not arguing anything is working or not working, or am I arguing he is good, I am telling you that I think the organization thinks they are going to turn him into something, not saying they are right, just what I think is happening

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I don’t think they’ll be able to justify developing Wilson after this season if they miss the playoffs.  I think at that point you have to cut bait and draft another guy, even if it’s in the 3rd round.  Rodgers will be even more succeptable to injury next season and if you go in with Wilson again, rodgers gets hurt and you miss the playofffs again then you would have a team revolt and i think that’s when the gm would have to get fired.  You just can’t go into next season with Wilson here.  

I completely agree that they can't go into next season with Wilson as the #2.

But what I think will happen is that they will:

• sign a backup (and hopefully spend whatever it costs) on a legit guy who can start and win
  • Not pickup Wilson's option and sign him to a team-friendly backup deal (he won't be getting many suitors so I think he takes the deal and sticks as the #3 on the depth chart)
  • Who is that backup? Darnold? Minshew? I'm pretty sure we're sitting at 6-2 with either of those guys (especially Minshew)
  • Skip QB in draft

I'm not saying this ideal but it's what I think will happen. Saleh will be coaching for his job next year (I think JD is safe honestly and will get to pick another HC should Saleh get fired) and can't afford to lose the season with another Rodgers injury. Still more than half a season to go so Wilson could really implode and force JD's hand, or get better and force his other hand to keep as the #2 next year. We'll see...

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The league office would have not allowed them to tank.  If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago they warned the Jets and a couple other teams about being competitive.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I completely agree that they can't go into next season with Wilson as the #2.

But what I think will happen is that they will:

• sign a backup (and hopefully spend whatever it costs) on a legit guy who can start and win
  • Not pickup Wilson's option and sign him to a team-friendly backup deal (he won't be getting many suitors so I think he takes the deal and sticks as the #3 on the depth chart)
  • Who is that backup? Darnold? Minshew? I'm pretty sure we're sitting at 6-2 with either of those guys (especially Minshew)
  • Skip QB in draft

I'm not saying this ideal but it's what I think will happen. Saleh will be coaching for his job next year (I think JD is safe honestly and will get to pick another HC should Saleh get fired) and can't afford to lose the season with another Rodgers injury. Still more than half a season to go so Wilson could really implode and force JD's hand, or get better and force his other hand to keep as the #2 next year. We'll see...

Under normal circumstances, I’d agree and say they’d keep him one more year and see.  But the problem is that if this season tanks and he’s the main culprit, there can never ever be a circumstance where he gets in a game again.  So i do think they may sign a veteran and then draft a guy in the 3rd, so they have a completely new qb plan.  Because if they don’t, and rodgers gets hurt again (he will miss games next year) and they have zero backup then the gm is gone.  He may get a pass for rodgers this year but not next year.  So i think they luck out and get to address left tackle in round 1, and then they have to figure out how to bring in a competent rookie.  If this gm can’t find one competent qb who can stay healthy he is gone.

15 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Off the Wilson decision, no. Wilson was such a reach, and there was Sewell and Parsons there. Either trade down and stock up, bumble along with Darnold or sign a free agent. But taking a player as bereft of any talent ("flashes" my ass!) at 2 like Wilson is a catastrophic waste of resources. Have to question that either they have no idea what they're doing, groupthink in the building on a massive scale, or an owner giving his idiotic input again.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I get the logic, but I don’t agree that two of the three options necessarily result in a house-cleaning. Actively tanking again, yes. But Brissett probably has this team at 6-2. And what if instead of tanking, they’d made the Rodgers deal, but for C.J. Stroud? Part of my problem with the Rodgers deal is that it wasn’t just an admission that they had gotten the QB situation wrong, but an admission that they didn’t think they could possibly get it right.

I feel like trading up to 2 for Stroud would have cost at least three first rounders, which sounds fine now, but nobody knew Stroud would be this good. 

4 hours ago, Bugg said:

Off the Wilson decision, no. Wilson was such a reach, and there was Sewell and Parsons there. Either trade down and stock up, bumble along with Darnold or sign a free agent. But taking a player as bereft of any talent ("flashes" my ass!) at 2 like Wilson is a catastrophic waste of resources. Have to question that either they have no idea what they're doing, groupthink in the building on a massive scale, or an owner giving his idiotic input again.

The worst thing about all of this is--- even after they finally cut bait with Sad Sack, the opportunity cost will continue to accumulate years into the future. That's how bad drafting, and retaining him, has been. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like trading up to 2 for Stroud would have cost at least three first rounders, which sounds fine now, but nobody knew Stroud would be this good. 

That’s what I mean. It’s their job to know. The fact that they blew it on Wilson and responded by throwing up their hands and saying “well, clearly we can’t trust ourselves to do that again” is a total abdication of responsibility. If that’s the plan, there’s no point in them being here at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1