Elijah Moore urged to Retire by Doctor

JetsFanatic

On 1/1/2024 at 3:00 PM, jeremy2020 said:

“His criteria don’t make sense to me,” Ann McKee, lead neuropathologist for Boston University’s CTE Center. said. “I don’t know what he’s doing.”

This bothers me.  I pray that she was misquoted.  If not, I don't care about her credentials.  I am skeptical. 

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This bothers me.  I pray that she was misquoted.  If not, I don't care about her credentials.  I am skeptical. 

There's a bunch of others. Dan Perl, from the Military's Uniformed Services University:

"“My God, if people were actually following [Omalu’s] criteria, the prevalence of this disease would be enormous, and there’s absolutely no evidence to support that,"

..or Steven DeKosky, a neurologist and deputy director of the McKnight Brain Institute at the University of Florida, was one of Omalu’s early collaborators. “I was a bit embarrassed,” DeKosky said. He said he has no idea why Omalu continues to claim he discovered and named the disease.

There's plenty of experts out there working on the field seeing patients and doing research. Omalu is not one of them. He operates for personal financial gain through appearance fees.

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The vast majority of concussions I have "been involved with" came from hitting the ground.  Usually later in the year when it is colder and harder. 

I've only ever had one and it was on a hard rubber all-weather field. I ended up in the way of a pulling lineman and went over backwards, helmet hit the ground and stopped, my brain just kept moving that little bit longer. Horrible feeling. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don’t think she was. Read her comments in context and it’s less whoa hold on there, sister.

I take any of these articles with some skepticism, especially when they read like one-sided hit pieces, but I did skim this and it’s hard to see him in the same sainted light as a movie screenplay would suggest.

Anyway the quote is in here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/sports/cte-bennet-omalu/

The truth may be somewhere in between with him. Things often are, but I’m in no position to argue on or against his behalf, let alone based on an article that specifically sought to discredit him. Maybe it’s justified; I wouldn’t know.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I've only ever had one and it was on a hard rubber all-weather field. I ended up in the way of a pulling lineman and went over backwards, helmet hit the ground and stopped, my brain just kept moving that little bit longer. Horrible feeling. 

Been there, done that.  Had to look to the TE to find out what route I was supposed to run 8 seconds after the QB told me for about 2 series.

• Sympathy 1

Been there, done that.  Had to look to the TE to find out what route I was supposed to run 8 seconds after the QB told me for about 2 series.
"The goal line is THAT direction"

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Show me where I said that about Moore's docs. Cmon, show me Mr Expert.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

..but, please, tell us more Mr. Expert on how you disagree with lead neuropathologist for Boston University’s CTE Center and the others working in the field.. on Omalu.

Well now. I asked you to tell me where I disagreed with Moore's docs and you didnt because you cant.

Now I will ask you to show me where I disagreed with the B.U. CTE Center. I didnt say anything about them so please just quit your obfuscation and STFU talking about things you have zero experience with.

24 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Well now. I asked you to tell me where I disagreed with Moore's docs and you didnt because you cant.

Now I will ask you to show me where I disagreed with the B.U. CTE Center. I didnt say anything about them so please just quit your obfuscation and STFU talking about things you have zero experience with.

I see you don't want to answer. That's fine. I'd be embarrassed defending Omalu too.

Many, many jobs come with risks to life and limb.

Very few of them pay multiple millions of dollars a year. 

Most pay pretty sh*t tbqh.

If Moore want to take that risk, and play, that's on him and no one but him, doctors included.  No after-the-fact lawsuits, of course, player's choice to play, if you play you accept the risks inherent to a violent game/profession.

I doubt the commercial fishermen, steel mill workers, tree trimmers, commercial pilots, ranchers, farmers, loggers, roofers, truck drivers or miners of America will shed too many tears about his decision, given all of them work vastly more dangerous jobs for vastly less money and fame and appreciation.

Why this is even a 3-page thing at this point, I'll never understand.  Football has injuries.  Got it.  They're exceedingly well compensated to take that risk.  Got it.  Lets move on. :roll:

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Many, many jobs come with risks to life and limb.

Very few of them pay multiple millions of dollars a year. 

Most pay pretty sh*t tbqh.

If Moore want to take that risk, and play, that's on him and no one but him, doctors included.  No after-the-fact lawsuits, of course, player's choice to play, if you play you accept the risks inherent to a violent game/profession.

I doubt the commercial fishermen, steel mill workers, tree trimmers, commercial pilots, ranchers, farmers, loggers, roofers, truck drivers or miners of America will shed too many tears about his decision, given all of them work vastly more dangerous jobs for vastly less money and fame and appreciation.

Why this is even a 3-page thing at this point, I'll never understand.  Football has injuries.  Got it.  They're exceedingly well compensated to take that risk.  Got it.  Lets move on. :roll:

Don't forget the food worker who is tasked with clearing my table before I finish eating. That dudes got balls!!!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I see you don't want to answer. That's fine. I'd be embarrassed defending Omalu too.

I am embarrassed for you.

You are way over your paygrade discussing neuroscience and not smart enough to be conscious of it.

On top of it all you seem unaware of or choose to just ignore the NFLs obvious attempt to ruin this mans rep because of how he shined a light on the leagues initial disregard and subsequent mishandling of their concussion problem. This is the classic big corp attempt to crush the individual who is causing problems for them but hey, you go ahead pump the vitriol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/31/2023 at 1:35 PM, jeremy2020 said:

Clickbait article. This is a "TV" Dcotor, not Moore's doctor. He did not examine Moore, does not know Moore. It's also heavy.com which is an aggregate site with no quality control.

at the very least he should consult a therapist

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

I am embarrassed for you.

You are way over your paygrade discussing neuroscience and not smart enough to be conscious of it.

On top of it all you seem unaware of or choose to just ignore the NFLs obvious attempt to ruin this mans rep because of how he shined a light on the leagues initial disregard and subsequent mishandling of their concussion problem. This is the classic big corp attempt to crush the individual who is causing problems for them but hey, you go ahead pump the vitriol.

Riiight. You might want to try a mirror.  The will smith movie you saw isn't the source you think it is..

Simple.. explain why he doesn't see patients or do research and only does appearances for fees... or why people who have questioned him are critical of the NFL? Explain why he's claimed for years that he 'discovered' CTE?

You should have these answers given your claim of extensive knowledge of CTE.

Maybe just stop your hamfisted attempts to pretend you have more knowledge on this using heavy.com as your backing.