Browns Front Office process in landing Joe Flacco

Found this interesting and likely not something the Jets were doing once Rodgers went down. Granted it may be a bit done up for the article, but there was a commitment to keeping the season alive once Watson was done, and there’s a checks and balances compressive process inside the building. God only know wtf the Jets were doing when Zach continued to throw up on himself:

• Going into last night, the New York Jets’ defense hadn’t allowed a 300-yard passer in 33 games. Joe Flacco—available to the Jets and everyone else into mid-November—had 296 yards at the half against New York.

So the natural question, based on how Flacco has played for the Cleveland Browns: How did Flacco sit out there as a street free agent as long as he did?

“He looked done last year,” one AFC executive texted overnight. “Good lesson.”

What, I asked, was the lesson?

“That maybe an older player on a dogsh*t team should receive another look,” he answered. “Like maybe he wasn’t all in with the Jets last year.”

Another exec posited that, along those lines, he didn’t get the sense that Flacco really wanted to go be a backup somewhere—and waiting did wind up uncovering a place where he could flourish.

First, credit the Browns. It started for GM Andrew Berry’s crew in looking for a third quarterback in November when Deshaun Watson went down for the year. They kept the Watson news quiet for a couple days, and Berry dispatched assistant GMs Catherine Raiche and Glenn Cook to go through—independent of one another—the team’s free agent stack at quarterback and rank their top three. Berry, Cook and Raiche differed on who was second and third, but all three had Flacco first.

Meanwhile, Berry had coach Kevin Stefanski crosscheck with Gary Kubiak, who worked with Flacco in Baltimore, and Kubiak raved about him. With all of that done, they worked out Flacco in Cleveland, offered him that third spot, and the rest is history.

Clearly, the Browns did the work other teams didn’t. Clearly, there’s a lesson there in looking deeper into a veteran quarterback’s circumstances, and motivation, because if someone had, Flacco probably wouldn’t have been on the street as long as he was. And now, he’s not only revitalized the Browns, but his career, too.

I’m told Flacco wants to play two more years in the league beyond this one. And while he played as a practice-squad promotion over his first few weeks in Cleveland, two other teams reached out with serious interest in signing him, sources said, which would indicate the outside interest will be there for Flacco to do just that. If, of course, you weren’t able to deduce that simply watching him play.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

The difference really comes down to coaching. They have an elite coaching staff; ours is below average at best. 

Knowing this and I'm not sure if you have any insight into this but what exactly is Rodgers' desire to keep Saleh? 

• Because Rodgers can basically control the offense and the OC making Saleh a glorified DC?
  • Does he actually think Saleh is a good head coach?
  • Doesn't Rodgers think his game and this team would be elevated with better coaching?

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Knowing this and I'm not sure if you have any insight into this but what exactly is Rodgers' desire to keep Saleh? 

• Because Rodgers can basically control the offense and the OC making Saleh a glorified DC?
  • Doesn't Rodgers think his game and this team would be elevated with better coaching?

I honestly don't know. My opinion is that Rodgers believes in continuity, he likes Saleh as a person, he likes his mentality, he respects defense that he installed, and there is a part of him who likes the idea of being the true leader of the offense and organization. His relationships with McCarthy and LaFleur became testy and I think its because Rodgers felt he knew better than they did in the most respectful way possible. He has an ego, he made this decision, and he wants to see it through. Again, I don't know this for sure, but I don't think Rodgers wants a HC to clash with... he likes Saleh because Saleh looks at him as a collaborator, not just a player. I would imagine things can change when Rodgers plays under center full-time. That's when everyone's true colors will come out 

• Upvote 2

Just now, football guy said:

I would imagine things can change when Rodgers plays under center full-time. That's when everyone's true colors will come out 

This is a good point and I applaud Rodgers for being with the team and on the sideline as much as he has during his recovery. I feel like he probably has a good enough sense of Saleh as a HC/DC and must feel good enough about it to support him. I just don't see it, but who am I?

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I honestly don't know. My opinion is that Rodgers believes in continuity, he likes Saleh as a person, he likes his mentality, he respects defense that he installed, and there is a part of him who likes the idea of being the true leader of the offense and organization. His relationships with McCarthy and LaFleur became testy and I think its because Rodgers felt he knew better than they did in the most respectful way possible. He has an ego, he made this decision, and he wants to see it through. Again, I don't know this for sure, but I don't think Rodgers wants a HC to clash with... he likes Saleh because Saleh looks at him as a collaborator, not just a player. I would imagine things can change when Rodgers plays under center full-time. That's when everyone's true colors will come out 

Gonna be so nice to be more than a full year in when we learn everyone's true colors!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Same reason for Hackett.

1) He likes him personally. Good vibes.

2) Huge ego, doesn't think it matters who the coaches are. He can do it himself.

2 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Love having my team referred to as dogsh*t by random execs. Feels good to root for this team.

When Flacco was playing, everyone knew they still had to wait for Zach to finish his own timeline rehabbing his knee. His return was inevitable. It’s why they didn’t go to White immediately. 

33 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Love having my team referred to as dogsh*t by random execs. Feels good to root for this team.

I kind of figure Michael Clemons giving all the fans (I'm sure a few children got the finger, too) in Cleveland the finger and saying "F you" as something to do with it. LOL

We can't even type the word here on the this forum,lest someone gets offended, but hey, Clemons can do it over and over in a stadium full of people and it's all good. "he's just blowing off steam" what a wild and crazy guy!

I remember when Bryan Cox was on the Dolphins and he gave Jets fans the finger while going through the tunnel, and he was called every name in the book by Jets fans. How convenient. 

I can tell you this, the way I was brought up, if my father saw me doing that in public, on tv, he'd break my finger. 

Anyway, Woody World is Dogsh*t. 

Can anyone see the Jets Front Office function like that?

Andrew Berry has a computer science degree from Harvard.  He knows the benefit of having two people write the Code simultanously to cross-check it.  Why do you think Google has 2.5 MILLION of square feet in Chelsea for people to code?