AVT to Left Tackle?

On 1/14/2024 at 10:00 AM, varjet said:
  • This was a squirrelly trade, but in retrospect the logic was that they just drafted a QB and LG the season before was a disaster.  GVR could have been involved (now a top G).  We could not sign Joe Thuney who signed for the AFCC Chiefs for a lot of money.    The perception was also that the 3rd round in that draft was lousy (Vikings used one pick for Kellen Mond).   But we would have been better off with Christian Darrisaw. 
  • AVT cannot play T again.  He gets hurt at T.  His body is not made for T.  He was not hurt at USC and was All Rookie (basically All Pro) LG his first year. 
  • Do the Jets pick up the 5th year option for a G who may not start week 1?  I think they have to.
  • Nothing is getting better on the Jets OL until they fix Strength and Conditioning and Training.
  • But the AVT injury is basically driving the roster construction now, because we can’t move him over to LG and get rid of Tomlinson unless we have a viable replacement.
  • As we will discuss on other threads, the Jets cannot overpay/premium pay defense anymore.   They now need to overpay offense to fill holes.  Yes, Tomlinson was overpaid grossly, but so likely we the next guys we sign to fill holes.  The Jets are not signing FA OL-they always avoided us unless we can overpay a backup/TE like Fant (which worked out).  This is a fraternity.  No one is playing for Keith Carter.  

I think they will because his lack of playing time drops his option year down to $15MM according to otc. After that much investment in him, and how much they like him when he’s not hurt, they’ll see it as not getting too cute with it. It’ll be the 5th yr option or an extension worked out ahead of that deadline, and Douglas is allergic to offering early extensions to his draft picks.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:19 PM, GangGreened said:

Was he injured playing OT both times? 

Never understood this silliness....if playing a certain position necessarily leads to an injury it is doubtful they're going to last very long in the NFL anyway.  You need all your limbs and body parts to play in the NFL...unless you believe that Becton got hurt by 'moving positions'.

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Have a feeling we keep him at RG and start a rookie at RT. Go Bak at LT and restructure Laken (something I’m not a fan of) to have him stay at LG.

Bak, Laken, Tipp, AVT, 10th overall pick

so now we're entrusting Baktiari to play LT?  He's played less than half the games the pst two seasons.

Good plan...should work fine...till week say 3 or 4.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

AVT at LG= Pro Bowl and All Pro player. 

AVT at LT= AVT on IR again

Another karma believer?

AVT can either get healthy and play OL for the Jets, or he cannot.  But the position he plays is not going to determine his future injuries.

2 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Another karma believer?

AVT can either get healthy and play OL for the Jets, or he cannot.  But the position he plays is not going to determine his future injuries.

He isn't  built to be a T. He doesn’t  have the flexibilty. I think that is evident. 

10 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

so now we're entrusting Baktiari to play LT?  He's played less than half the games the pst two seasons.

Good plan...should work fine...till week say 3 or 4.

Didnt say thats what I want. I just think thats what we do.

Moving him from LG to RG was stupid to begin with to make room for Lake.

We have destroyed our negotiating power as well with the constant switch to OT, which his agents will want OT $ after 2024.

Is he going to warrant the contract he'll be asking for to exclusively play LG? I don't think so. You don't pay tackle $ to a guard, and he will hit free agency eventually looking for that kind of payday.

Move him to RT full time, no shuffling back and forth, let him train and practice for RT. Let's see if he stays healthy and locks down that spot for years to come. Carter Warren as the backup for RT isn't a terrible option.

9 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Draft the 3rd best OT at #10. We need a RT too. It's impossible to fill 2 OTs with this free agent class.

In my opinion this is how bad teams stay bad.  If the BPA is an OT at 10, thats one thing, but if we are reaching to fill RT at 10 when there are better WR or QB prospects available that will do nothing but hold back our franchise.  

I do agree that its very difficult to fill both OT spots in one offseason, especially with the lack of FA's available but we may have to trust that Carter Warren can improve enough to be a decent RT or find a veteran who gets cut.  

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

In my opinion this is how bad teams stay bad.  If the BPA is an OT at 10, thats one thing, but if we are reaching to fill RT at 10 when there are better WR or QB prospects available that will do nothing but hold back our franchise.  

I do agree that its very difficult to fill both OT spots in one offseason, especially with the lack of FA's available but we may have to trust that Carter Warren can improve enough to be a decent RT or find a veteran who gets cut.  

Completely agree....you should never look at the draft to fill roster issues. That's what free agency is for.

You take the BPA available (with a considered positional value metric) in the draft.

We'll need to 1. figure out AVT's permanent position 2. sign 2-3 OL this offseason

Draft the best OT or offensive weapon at 10.

34 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Completely agree....you should never look at the draft to fill roster issues. That's what free agency is for.

You take the BPA available (with a considered positional value metric) in the draft.

We'll need to 1. figure out AVT's permanent position 2. sign 2-3 OL this offseason

Draft the best OT or offensive weapon at 10.

I think this is even more then BPA vs need.  Even if there is a great edge rusher at 10, we arent gonna take another DL - i didnt mind taking McDonald but any more DL at this point in round 1 would be ridiculous.

I dont want us to reach for an OT who has red flags just because we need to fill the slot.  We also have a draft with 4-5 experienced QBs with legit first round grades and as well as a good WR class.  It would be better to move down, pick IOL and developmental OTs and find a QB to groom behind rogers

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

We picked Becton over Wirfs and CD LAMB, because we needed a LT.