2024 Senior Bowl Thread: News and Notes

25 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

interested to watch josh cephus.  

yea Cephus is a big one from a intrigue standpoint. 

• isaiah williams, WR 
  • Malik Washington WR
  • Max Pline, TE
  • Karsen Barnhart OG/OT
  • Anim DankWah OT

• Heeb Still, CB (lock to be drafted imo) 
  • AJ Woods CB
  • Kalen DeLoach LB
  • Mikey Victor DB
  • Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Although theres a chance after this weekend Wilson and Corley sneak into the bottom of 2, but we'll have to see as time goes on.   At least at this juncture those are guys whose skill sets translate to what we need and are in the price range we are looking. 

from your lips to gods ears. Get them up and out of our range. I might throw in the towel if we take Corley - no offense, but he is slower than David Bell on the field.

I actually hate the idea of picking in rnd 3-4... Assuming GMs are smart enough (not a guarantee) to vacuum up guys like Tez Walker, Xavier Leggett, Polk... then we'll be left pick through the overhype-crowd; the 2 texas WRs, Burton, Franklin etc.. Here's hoping.. If we have to trade up into the back end of 2 to snag Leggett/Walker/Polk - you do it. No question. Leggett especially, or Walker are worth next year's 2nd. I like both more than Odunze.

picks 70-100... no man's land. Luke McCaffrey & Johnny Wilson. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

he's still a dime a dozen.

not on our WR depth chart he would not be.  3rd/4th round he would be a real nice addition.  Considering we don' have a 2 and our 1 is likely going to be OL, this is the kind of guy we will be looking at.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Great route runner, good hands, I would expect him to run sub 4.4.  But the injury history is worrisome.  Missed time with back and ankle injuries and seemed to miss snaps in every game.  He had to be nursed through games all season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Doesn't this guy have like 1k career yards in 4 years at georgia?

1,700 yards in 3 seasons.  WRs don't put up big numbers in our system.  Our offense was always much better when Ladd was on the field, but as I said in the post above, he just was not on the field enough this past season.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

1,700 yards in 3 seasons.  WRs don't put up big numbers in our system.  Our offense was always much better when Ladd was on the field, but as I said in the post above, he just was not on the field enough this past season.

Damn, thanks for the insight.

This class in general seems really top heavy (NIL maybe?) i wouldn't mind shipping that 3rd for a impact starter, thats why im kinda of against doing a tag and trade for Huff.

46 minutes ago, Lith said:

not on our WR depth chart he would not be.  3rd/4th round he would be a real nice addition.  Considering we don' have a 2 and our 1 is likely going to be OL, this is the kind of guy we will be looking at.

We gotta shoot higher than drafting an abundantly available talent, even if it is a good one. Now if it works that all the legit boundaries types are gone and such, sure i guess. I still think someone like Luke McCaffrey or even Johnny Wilson. mediocre hands or not, will be there. Given our current roster we cannot be passing on Johnny for Roman

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

We gotta shoot higher than drafting an abundantly available talent, even if it is a good one. Now if it works that all the legit boundaries types are gone and such, sure i guess. I still think someone like Luke McCaffrey or even Johnny Wilson. mediocre hands or not, will be there. Given our current roster we cannot be passing on Johnny for Roman

I would love to see us going after a Nabers, Odunze or Coleman in R1, but if you assume that our 1 is going to be OL, and without a 2, we are probably looking at 10 - 15 WRs gone by the time we make our 2nd pick.  I am assuming most of the boundary types that you expect to be able to contribute as rookies are likely to be gone by pick 72, or wherever our 3rd is.  I would be okay with a high floor slot guy that should be able to help us in 24.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Lith said:

I would love to see us going after a Nabers, Odunze or Coleman in R1, but if you assume that our 1 is going to be OL, and without a 2, we are probably looking at 10 - 15 WRs gone by the time we make our 2nd pick.  I am assuming most of the boundary types that you expect to be able to contribute as rookies are likely to be gone by pick 72, or wherever our 3rd is.  I would be okay with a high floor slot guy that should be able to help us in 24.  

I understand, but history tells us there will be some guys there b/c FOMO/poor vision push up the wrong players.

• T Dell,
  • M Wilson
  • D Wicks
  • N Collins
  • G Davis
  • J Hurd! (I'll never give in)
  • C Kupp
  • Godwin
  • Pre-noodle kneed Galladay

Those are just a few fringe 3/4 guys who had good reason to be drafted earlier, but were pushed down by

• J. Mingo (wut)
  • M Mims
  • Metchie
  • Someone named Tyquan Thornton
  • Alec Pierce 
  • "Velus" Jones
  • Atwell
  • Toney
  • Shenault
  • Hamler
  • Jefferson
  • Andy Isabella
  • The nightmare that was JJ Arcega-Whiteside
  • Hardman
  • Pettis
  • Washington etc

All those dudes like - what?.,..not a top 60 prospect. 

So i'm confident GM's will be GM'ing and do the same thing. There'll be someone there!! 

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I understand, but history tells us there will be some guys there b/c FOMO/poor vision push up the wrong players.

• T Dell,
  • M Wilson
  • D Wicks
  • N Collins
  • G Davis
  • C Kupp
  • Godwin

Those are just a few fringe 3/4 guys who had good reason to be drafted earlier, but were pushed down by

• J. Mingo (wut)
  • M Mims
  • Metchie
  • Alec Pierce 
  • "Velus" Jones
  • Atwell
  • Toney
  • Shenault
  • Hamler
  • Jefferson
  • Andy Isabella
  • Hardman
  • Pettis
  • Washington etc

So i'm confident GM's will be GM'ing and do the same thing. There'll be someone there!! 

I think we’re going to hit a point that you’re going to be banging the table hard for a move back up to get Keon Coleman on draft day.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, derp said:

I think we’re going to hit a point that you’re going to be banging the table hard for a move back up to get Keon Coleman on draft day.

I can't imagine him in the second, but it happens...

but late in the 2nd??.. 

1273465380681.jpg.b5ff6abfe49b93d89ad442172ad5a360.jpg

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

• T Dell,
  • M Wilson
  • D Wicks
  • N Collins
  • G Davis
  • C Kupp
  • Godwin

• J. Mingo (wut)
  • M Mims
  • Metchie
  • Alec Pierce 
  • "Velus" Jones
  • Atwell
  • Toney
  • Shenault
  • Hamler
  • Jefferson
  • Andy Isabella
  • Hardman
  • Pettis
  • Washington etc

Totally agree that the 3rd (maybe even 4th) round could be a sweet spot for WRs. There are so many talented prospects that its inevitable some will falls through the cracks, it’s more whether the Jets of all teams can be the team to discover them. The rebuttal to that would be 2022, but I think what further plays into the Jets favor is how deep this class is with talent at other premium positions as well. 2022 may go down as the best WR class ever and that year there were 14 WRs who went in the top 71 picks. However, that class was also thin on OTs (only 6 in top 64) and QBs (1 in the top 64 and none in the top 19). This year were likely going to see 5-6 QBs and 10-14 OTs in the first 2 rounds. Just a hunch, but I would expect that to push some of the receivers into our lap in the 3rd

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Totally agree that the 3rd (maybe even 4th) round could be a sweet spot for WRs. There are so many talented prospects that its inevitable some will falls through the cracks, it’s more whether the Jets of all teams can be the team to discover them. The rebuttal to that would be 2022, but I think what further plays into the Jets favor is how deep this class is with talent at other premium positions as well. 2022 may go down as the best WR class ever and that year there were 14 WRs who went in the top 71 picks. However, that class was also thin on OTs (only 6 in top 64) and QBs (1 in the top 64 and none in the top 19). This year were likely going to see 5-6 QBs and 10-14 OTs in the first 2 rounds. Just a hunch, but I would expect that to push some of the receivers into our lap in the 3rd

I concur The volume of QBs, linemen and DBs will assuredly un-furl the WRs across 3+ rounds. I would also speculate that after you get out of the top 5 at the positions, grades will vary significantly with this group. Baring a unlikely run of 7-8 receivers in round 2, there will be options... I beg the gods JD will shoot true with his aim this time. Our record has been abysmal in round 3-5 for WR over the last 15 years.

ive been watching more and more wilson the past week.  The dude lumbers a little bit, which is to be expected at 6'7, doesnt mean he wont run a fast 40, but his fluidity in route running certainly is effected by his frame.  I think the best home for him is going to be a TE project eventually.  at 6'7 240 basically he's not your typical outside WR, i think his size will give guys problem as you move him around matchup wise which is good, but he needs a lot of work still. I think best bet you hope he develops into a taller version of evan engram?  hard to find a comp because of his height.  Mercedes Lewis maybe?

end of the day, even though he probably is more athletic and has good upside, i think the jets will pass as they think they basically drafted a guy like this last year in Kuntz. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

end of the day, even though he probably is more athletic and has good upside, i think the jets will pass as they think they basically drafted a guy like this last year in Kuntz. 

Gross. Kuntz will be out of the league by roster cuts in 2025. 

IMO, the lumbering/stiffness remarks about J Wilson is little more than hot air. I think he moves just fine for his size, he gets going quickly, and glides downfield. He makes tough catches and downfield ones too. He is not however, a natural enough WR to be a full time starter, but spending two years turning him into a TE is a waste of time and opportunity. Logan Thomas for example came to VT as a TE, there was some fundamental history studying blocking.

You put this guy in as your WR3/down and distance role player and you'll get plenty of mileage out of him on 3rd and 8ths and red zone situations... we were basically fcked hard if it was 3rd and goal with more than 5 yards last year. That's where Wilson value would be. Situational Football. 

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Gross. Kuntz will be out of the league by roster cuts in 2025. 

IMO, the lumbering/stiffness remarks about J Wilson is little more than hot air. I think he moves just fine for his size, he gets going quickly, and glides downfield. He makes tough catches and downfield ones too. He is not however, a natural enough WR to be a full time starter, but spending two years turning him into a TE is a waste of time and opportunity. Logan Thomas for example came to VT as a TE, there was some fundamental history studying blocking.

You put this guy in as your WR3/down and distance role player and you'll get plenty of mileage out of him on 3rd and 8ths and red zone situations... we were basically fcked hard if it was 3rd and goal with more than 5 yards last year. That's where Wilson value would be. Situational Football. 

I mean I wouldn't say it's hot air, He has stiff hips, isn't super flexible and rounds the breakpoints of his routes routinely because he can't drop his hips effectively.  But it's not really a knock because end of the day who would expect that from a 6'7 WR.  It's just not a natural movement for them.  Thats why I think as a matchup as a TE he makes more sense, his athletic ability profiling as a move player like that would be a nice weapon later down the road.  I think initially you can use him to body guys out in the redzone and perhaps on 3rd down, but I do wonder how much he'll separate from really good CB's at the next level who mirror coverage better than what he's accustomed too.  My worry a little with his route running and releases is what you saw a little in those clips, he doesn't have the footspeed or moves initially right now to get off jams with his skill, he absolutely has to use his physicality to move guys aside.  It's worked vs. college players so far in times he's pressed (not a lot because his straight-line speed is very good and college corners were afraid to be beat by how big he is) but in the NFL some of these guys will challenge him and I can see him struggling.  

The reason I think a hybrid position would be more beneficial is it eliminates the importance of his release moves, break points, and route stems because he's more than capable of beating LB's and Safeties. Plus you have to figure he will only get bigger as he gets into an NFL program.  Its not out of the question to see him playing in a year at 250 lbs.  Which to me shouts TE more than it does X WR.  He doesn't have to be your traditional in-line TE but he can certainly be a piece that can move and block well to seal an edge.  And with an offense that uses condensed formations and outside zone schemes he could be a nice developmental piece to use because of his flexibility.  I just think if you don't have a clear plan on how to use him properly, he's going to never be what his athleticism can allow. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I mean I wouldn't say it's hot air, He has stiff hips, isn't super flexible and rounds the breakpoints of his routes routinely because he can't drop his hips effectively.  But it's not really a knock because end of the day who would expect that from a 6'7 WR.  It's just not a natural movement for them. 

Thats why I think as a matchup as a TE he makes more sense, his athletic ability profiling as a move player like that would be a nice weapon later down the road.  I think initially you can use him to body guys out in the redzone and perhaps on 3rd down, but I do wonder how much he'll separate from really good CB's at the next level who mirror coverage better than what he's accustomed too.  My worry a little with his route running and releases is what you saw a little in those clips, he doesn't have the footspeed or moves initially right now to get off jams with his skill, he absolutely has to use his physicality to move guys aside.  It's worked vs. college players so far in times he's pressed (not a lot because his straight-line speed is very good and college corners were afraid to be beat by how big he is) but in the NFL some of these guys will challenge him and I can see him struggling.  

The reason I think a hybrid position would be more beneficial is it eliminates the importance of his release moves, break points, and route stems because he's more than capable of beating LB's and Safeties. Plus you have to figure he will only get bigger as he gets into an NFL program.  Its not out of the question to see him playing in a year at 250 lbs.  Which to me shouts TE more than it does X WR.  He doesn't have to be your traditional in-line TE but he can certainly be a piece that can move and block well to seal an edge.  And with an offense that uses condensed formations and outside zone schemes he could be a nice developmental piece to use because of his flexibility.  I just think if you don't have a clear plan on how to use him properly, he's going to never be what his athleticism can allow. 

I got lazy in the way I set up the "hot air" remark... cause of course lined up across Keenan Allen, J Wilson looks stiff and lumbering - cause he is...

however, speaking in regards to 6'6+ WRs/athletes who weigh in at 230-240 - it's hot air to me. He moves well, glides, decent shifty/short area quickness. I think ppl had a dream of what Johnny could be this year, and when he didn't become Calvin Johnson... well you get it.

Compared to a fellow alumni, Kelvin Benjamin - Wilson is far more limber and athletic. He also has good feel/orientation for the field. While maybe not a natural born talent like Garret, he's a football player. Not just a freak playing the game - like Benjamin. 

I disagree with your assessment about his role in NFL level. I think he's best suited to work to stay at or under 240. I don't see the same limitations with route running and such, he's what you'd expect an accomplish 6'7/240 guy to be at the college level. He's shown more role/route variety than Odunze for example. I wouldn't want him lining up at X full time - but i'd rotate him comfortably with a Roman Wilson type as my slot WR3/WR4... With Garrett and Davante on the outsides and Wilson/TE inside, that puts safeties in a tough spot. You don't want your LBs or undersized nickelbacks covering Johnny. That's a bad recipe for the D. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

If this guy go this high (1st round hype) something is really wrong with this class, you had 2 all world centers in Creed Humphrey and Linderbaum that didn't even sniff the 1st round. Im really not a fan of this draft class maybe i'm bias.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

If this guy go this high (1st round hype) something is really wrong with this class, you had 2 all world centers in Creed Humphrey and Linderbaum that didn't even sniff the 1st round. Im really not a fan of this draft class maybe i'm bias.

Linderbaum was 25 in the draft but you get the point

• Upvote 1