2024 Senior Bowl Thread: News and Notes

On 1/30/2024 at 12:13 PM, Paradis said:

yea Cephus is a big one from a intrigue standpoint. 

• isaiah williams, WR 
  • Malik Washington WR
  • Max Pline, TE
  • Karsen Barnhart OG/OT
  • Anim DankWah OT

• Heeb Still, CB (lock to be drafted imo) 
  • AJ Woods CB
  • Kalen DeLoach LB
  • Mikey Victor DB

Thanks for posting all of the videos, can you get one for Tvondre Sweat?

If we can somehow bolster the OL and WR corps in free agency and recoup a pick with a trade down I'd draft him in a heartbeat. He's going to test off the charts at his weight and has the tape to back it up.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, RobR said:

Thanks for posting all of the videos, can you get one for Tvondre Sweat?

If we can somehow bolster the OL and WR corps in free agency and recoup a pick with a trade down I'd draft him in a heartbeat. He's going to test off the charts at his weight and has the tape to back it up.

Same. That's the dream. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Paradis said:

I got lazy in the way I set up the "hot air" remark... cause of course lined up across Keenan Allen, J Wilson looks stiff and lumbering - cause he is...

however, speaking in regards to 6'6+ WRs/athletes who weigh in at 230-240 - it's hot air to me. He moves well, glides, decent shifty/short area quickness. I think ppl had a dream of what Johnny could be this year, and when he didn't become Calvin Johnson... well you get it.

Compared to a fellow alumni, Kelvin Benjamin - Wilson is far more limber and athletic. He also has good feel/orientation for the field. While maybe not a natural born talent like Garret, he's a football player. Not just a freak playing the game - like Benjamin. 

I disagree with your assessment about his role in NFL level. I think he's best suited to work to stay at or under 240. I don't see the same limitations with route running and such, he's what you'd expect an accomplish 6'7/240 guy to be at the college level. He's shown more role/route variety than Odunze for example. I wouldn't want him lining up at X full time - but i'd rotate him comfortably with a Roman Wilson type as my slot WR3/WR4... With Garrett and Davante on the outsides and Wilson/TE inside, that puts safeties in a tough spot. You don't want your LBs or undersized nickelbacks covering Johnny. That's a bad recipe for the D. 

But thats what I'm saying, youre just putting him on your depth chart as a WR and im labeling him a TE.  I think he bulks to 250 and becomes a move around TE that can also be an inline guy eventually if you want.  I think it plays to his strengths as an athlete more and allows him to be more of an impact in bigger personnel sets.  I think we're probably arriving at the same conclusion, just slight differences as to the roads we're traveling to get there. 

• Upvote 1

all the wrs have been very impressive so far, great crop.  

Rice has gotten better every day, he's obviously interesting because of his bloodlines, but i think even as a guy that goes later in the draft theres more to be milked from that stone. He's more physical than I initially thought watching USC the few times i did. 

Roman Wilson has showed more of his bag than I think alot of people thought he had.  Pretty obvious he can come in and contribute right away at a good level out of the slot, but I think he's shown enough this week to say you can move him around inside and outside.  He'll be more prolific in the slot but I think he can move around too. 

Tez walker has looked good. Strong and fast, just needs more consistency.  

Like what ive seen from McCaffrey too, he's had some spots here and there but the kids a good bet to be productive. 

Gotta keep watching, havent had a ton of time this week. 

EDIT:  Just watched all the 1v1 from day one for the national team

Wilson had the best reps of the one side i was able to watch.  He's smooth man.  

Pearsall looked pretty good when he was able to keep his feet. Looked almost like he was trying to do too much too fasts and got himself crossed up.  When he settled into a route though it was good.

I'm not sure wht to make of malachi corley, He's not as quick or fast as i thought on film, but he catches everything and is more physical than I thought.  Gotta dive in more. 

I flat out like Luke McCaffrey.  He's not super explosive or powerful like his brother but the kid can play.  He's gonna carve out a role on a team as a gritty slot guy.  

Brendan rice i know gets better as the week goes on already, you saw flashes day 1 but it was consistency.  But there is soooo much nuance to his game which you would expect given his father.  Really physical, I love that for this offense.  

Tez had an up and down day.  Some really nice reps, some where he couldnt separate, some just flat out drops, which i get working with different qbs, but still one or two i was like hmmmmmm

the rest were fine, nothing stood out.  the kid cowing dropped a few gimmes too.  

• Upvote 4

Day 1 American side 1v1

American side qbs were overthrowing pretty much everyone either high and outside or just flat out bad timing which in some part is to be expected.

Thought Thrash looked average at best, one or two good reps, had one good catch on a fade, but otherwise nothing stood out on that day. 

Leggett showed me more of a release package than I expected.  he's got a little more foot fire than you'd think from a guy of his size (6'3 230). Had a chance at a really nice catch and came up short.  The other thing i dont like is how he doesnt sell out at the top of his routes for the ball, assumes its over thrown and gives a half assed effort.  Not in love with that. 

People will have mixed feelings on him but ladd mcconkey was the best wr on this side in 1v1's and to me it wasnt close.  his route running is the best of the bunch, his hands showed out, and he showed understanding of leverage and wiggle with his upper body.  

Jahquan jackson was up and down.  had some nice reps, got bullied some others.  I'm still interested though, just not sure to what level

Anias smith, file this under jahquan jackson... same feeling

Wilson we've talked about.  he's just so much bigger so that helps, but did separate from anyone really, and everything he does he's just either pushing the guy off him or trying to push by him.  Its just a different game than you'll see from a wr in 1v1. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Day 1 American side 1v1

Thought Thrash looked average at best, one or two good reps, had one good catch on a fade, but otherwise nothing stood out on that day. 

Leggett showed me more of a release package than I expected.  he's got a little more foot fire than you'd think from a guy of his size (6'3 230). Had a chance at a really nice catch and came up short.  The other thing i dont like is how he doesnt sell out at the top of his routes for the ball, assumes its over thrown and gives a half assed effort.  Not in love with that. 

He didn't have a great day 1, bounced back big time on day 2.... 

Thrash is having a decent afternoon on day 3, but i'd forgotten he was even there until then. Not a good look to be so "meh"

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

https://vendettasportsmedia.com/2024-reeses-senior-bowl-national-team-day-3-practice-notes/

I don't know how to do that embedded sh*t so it actually posts the article (seriously 2024, can AI figure this out?) 

But there's a lot in there

This guy Trey Daubert is awesome. Pulls no punches. Said what I’ve felt about Hartman      He stinks. That LB from NC State sounds like a guy who will have a nice career on Sundays. Where do you think, 2-3 rounder?

58 minutes ago, section314 said:

This guy Trey Daubert is awesome. Pulls no punches. Said what I’ve felt about Hartman      He stinks. That LB from NC State sounds like a guy who will have a nice career on Sundays. Where do you think, 2-3 rounder?

Minnesota tight end belongs in the aisle at Home Depot for when people shop for fridges. That’s not a football player. When the ball is in the air he may as well be the Buffalo Wild Wings panic button. Never know what’s going to happen. Can’t make the easy play.

That is a freaking awesome quote.   Just brutal, but honest.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Minnesota tight end belongs in the aisle at Home Depot for when people shop for fridges. That’s not a football player. When the ball is in the air he may as well be the Buffalo Wild Wings panic button. Never know what’s going to happen. Can’t make the easy play.

That is great. Forget the CB he was talking about, but a similar take    Player X stinks, he can’t cover anybody.🤣

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Also had some interesting points on Pennix… doesn’t sound like his game translates to next level. Bo Nix gives off Zach like vibes.

• Upvote 1

For those who don't want to click--

Home/College Football/2024 Reese's Senior Bowl: National Team Day 3 Practice Notes

SPORTS MEDIA

2024 REESE’S SENIOR BOWL: NATIONAL TEAM DAY 3 PRACTICE NOTES

Trey Daubert / College Football, NFL, NFL Draft / February 1, 2024
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Senior Bowl

(John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports)

2024 Reese’s Senior Bowl: National Team Day 3 Practice Notes

The third and final day of the 2024 Reese’s Senior Bowl practices are in the books. The National team wraps up their practices. No need to waste any more time. Let’s get right to it.

Quarterbacks:

Bo Nix looks better in the red area when you boot him out. It’s good and bad. Better day today but is he really that gimmicky? Just looks so much more comfortable in that RPO set up. Anytime he hangs in the pocket he does this fadeaway cheese and it creates ineffective throws.

End of practice today was his best stretch. Just firing darts in the end zone turning it loose with zip on the ball. 7 on 7 was his best period. Is that an accident or is he a different guy with traffic? A lot of guys are but the special ones make plays with traffic. Is the DL really affecting him that much? What if his line wasn’t as good at Oregon?

Sam Hartman is a check-down machine. Can execute the offense but can’t make any plays down the field. Missed a wide open touchdown to Theo Johnson and just totally dirted it. Beyond concerning that he can’t make a play down the field. If it’s not given to him he’s not giving you the extra play. He’s not good.

I just can’t get over the ball placement for Michael Penix. There are times he can make throws off balance but too many times the ball just isn’t where it needs to be. I’m just telling you it’s going to be a problem at the NFL level. Not when things move that fast. Penix is the best quarterback in this group but it’s almost because of default.

Running Backs:

I don’t like Dylan Laube but give him this. He doesn’t look totally lost running routes. Doesn’t look slow either in space running. Have to give him credit for his work as a receiver.

Marshawn Lloyd actually has some short area quickness running routes. I question his hands. Had a bad drop today after a good shake and bake to get open. It was mostly one drop. I still don’t know how good he is but has prototypical size and moves better than he should. Hard one. Not overly excited but doesn’t suck either.

Just going to leave this here.

Wide Receivers:

Brendan Rice can play. Continues to show the physicality. There is an art to his game. He gets stuck short area sometimes but if he’s in rhythm in the route he can create space in his own way. I’m in here. I like the hands. He can fight through contact. Physical, physical, physical. The size helps too.

Tez Walker is easily the hardest eval at the receiver. Good speed but needs to refine the route running. Dropped everything yesterday. Hands were better today but not by much. Still doesn’t attack the ball in the air and did drop a few. Maybe yesterday was just a rough day. How high can you take a guy that doesn’t catch the ball? Only had three drops during the actual season but can’t buy one here.

Malachi Corley has some power to him. I’m not sure what he is but he’s catching what’s thrown his way.

How about Javon Baker? Looks skinny but he’s fast and high points really well.

Roman Wilson and Ricky Pearsall left Mobile. Did not practice today.

Jacob Cowing got hurt and was helped off. Wasn’t a fan but looked better today. Small guy who performed well in the slot in space during the red area drills. Just don’t see any ceiling here.

I like Luke McCaffrey. Just going to say it. He can run and catch. You can see the Christian in him. Just smaller and not as powerful. Good athlete. I think he can make it as a slot guy.

Tight Ends:

The Michigan tight end AJ Barner is terrible. Can’t separate or move at all. I have nothing good to say.

Theo Johnson is just a much better version than him. Still slow as dirt but at least has some wiggle to him. He’s at least catching the ball and making plays. He’s in a different class compared to the other tight ends in this group.

Offensive Line:

LaDarius Henderson left with the trainers during practice. He’s been completely terrible during the week.

No practice for Taliese Fuaga. No problem with it. Guy was a stud during the week.

I’m in on Eguakun from Florida. Looks like a poor man version of Torrence from last year.

Jordan Morgan is fine. Hard time convincing me he’s dominant. The kick slide stuff is all there. I’m just not sure he’s strong or tough.

Defensive Line:

Didn’t see any one-on-one OL vs. DL. If they did it, it was very brief. DeWayne Carter made some plays pushing the pocket in team drills.

Linebackers:

Notre Dame linebackers came to play today. Lot of red zone drills today. Both shined in coverage. I still think Liufau is the better player.

Payton Wilson is still easily the best linebacker here. He’s just way faster than the other linebackers. Movement skills it’s hard to see him fail.

Cornerbacks:

Cam Hart is really good. Not a grease lightning but in control and knows where the ball is.

Kalen King can’t cover anybody. Luke McCaffrey killed him. Tez Walker got him. Below is the clip where McCaffrey beat him. It’s been gross the whole week. I don’t know what it is but it doesn’t feel like he can keep up. If player x makes a move he can’t counter. It’s ugly. Hartman ran for a touchdown and pump-faked him 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. Almost looks drunk with his reaction time.

Khyree Jackson got back on the field today. Looked really good and his length really stood out. Lost some reps and wasn’t perfect but you can see if he gets his hands on you it’s a problem. His length is just hard to ignore. Had an incredible PBU against Walker in team drills. I can’t stress the length enough. Hard completing balls with those tree branches in the way.

Quinyon Mitchell didn’t take any reps today. Don’t see it as a problem based on his performance.

Safeties:

The Oregon safety Evan Williams has something to him. Overall solid work in coverage.

Wrote a bit about Max Melton yesterday. I love what I saw. Certainly can tell he has quickness and speed. In the red zone drills he never panicked and kept good eye level. Good stuff overall.

Don’t love Josh Proctor. Just looks slow. Think he was the only guy that lost a rep to the Minnesota tight end

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

He didn't have a great day 1, bounced back big time on day 2.... 

Thrash is having a decent afternoon on day 3, but i'd forgotten he was even there until then. Not a good look to be so "meh"

I'll watch day 2 today, but reading some reports and seeing day 1 he has just looked up and down so far.  Good rep here and there then a few bad reps.  The drops just were concerning moreso than other things on day 1. 

Trash has been the definition of average from what i saw on day 1.  Didnt separate well, didnt put on any real moves, nothing impressive.  

Best guys so far to me from what ive watched.  Wilson, McConkey, McCaffrey.  Just my opinion from day 1 so far. 

• Upvote 1

day 2 1v1 notes:

National Team

Brendan Rice is going to be good.  He's already so polished with his route nuance, and he's very physical.  He's a kid thats going to continue to get better and be a really good target in the 3rd/4th.  He's impressing though and I think blood lines can push him up.  He looked better in day 2 than 1 and i've heard day 3 was his best day so i'm excited to see that. Like this one alot

Luke McCaffrey, enough said, kid just works his tail off on routes, 100% effort all the time, never gives up on a route, he routinely gets good body position, good hands for getting off dbs, his routes are good, break points nice.   He' may never be "special" but this kid is going to be a fan favorite i think for whoever takes him.  Just a griddy workman like wr. 

Pearsall has a lot of really nice reps.  Other than roman wilson, no one else on the national team created the separation from their routes like pearsall.  Him and wilson have been the national teams 2 best. 

Wilson had a monster catch and created a ton on his routes, he set guys up all over the place, then routinely got body positioning on his defender.  He's really good. 

Tez walker was better, won more than he lost on routes.  I think i finally put together what has been bothering me about him this week.  Aside from the drops... he just consistently lets defenders get hands on him, he does not hand fight enough at all. Just seems like he says "im a big guy ill muscle past you"  He's got a lot of potential but he needs to fix some of those things. 

Everyone else was pretty bland.  Corley continues to just catch everything, but doesnt create a ton of separation.  cowing is just a no. 

American team

Defense was the story of the day, the coverage was really good. 

McConkey was the best day 1 but day 2 he was a bust.  Had some nice reps but mostly either got eaten up by defenders or miss timed his breaks and ended up breaking on the wrong foot. Just not what I saw from him day 1

Thrash had a really nice day.  he had some good wins on setting up defenders with tempo and a quick move.  He had a bad drop that hurt but the rest of it looked much better than yesterday. 

Ja'Quan Jackson was the best guy out there in my opinion on day 2.  Nice catches and great job getting open, created good separation on most of his routes. 

Wilson, if he doesnt push off, doesnt get separation.. His size is a huge factor, cant deny that, but he wasnt blowing past people and when he did get space, it was because he was able to push a guy aside. 

Xavier Leggette had probably the 2nd best day of the guys.  He had a great catch on a fade and had some reall ynice routes. 

Some more from our friend yesterday 

https://vendettasportsmedia.com/2024-reeses-senior-bowl-american-team-day-3-practice-notes/

Skip to main contentHome/College Football/2024 Reese's Senior Bowl: American Team Day 3 Practice Notes

SPORTS MEDIA

2024 REESE’S SENIOR BOWL: AMERICAN TEAM DAY 3 PRACTICE NOTES

Trey Daubert / College Football, NFL, NFL Draft / February 1, 2024
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Senior Bowl

(John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports)

2024 Reese’s Senior Bowl: American Team Day 3 Practice Notes

The third and final day of the 2024 Reese’s Senior Bowl practices are in the books. The American team wraps up their practices. No need to waste any more time. Let’s get right to it.

Just a heads up. This won’t be nearly as long as the National Team notes. They’re 35 minutes into practice and it’s been nothing but warm-ups and field goal attempts. I’ll do the best I can here. It’s the way it goes with some of these coaches not running a good practice. Literally, the last 20 minutes of practice offensive and defensive linemen were just running routes. Not sure what you want me to do with that.

Quarterbacks:

Joe Milton threw a pick right to the linebacker sitting by the end zone. Forced one. Bit tight with bodies crowing the short window. He did that a bunch at Tennessee. This was his worst day of the three. Things got tight and he couldn’t get in control. Overall, a lot more good than bad. We knew he was flawed and we saw it today.

This is the truth. Milton has been the best quarterback in here both groups even if today lost some momentum.

Give Spencer Rattler this. His pure arm power isn’t the problem. It’s very nice zip. This was his best day for sure. Even showed off some arm angles fitting balls into windows. The nice thing is he’s very athletic so when things get going he can adjust.

Michael Pratt is just there. Every time it’s his turn to go I almost fall asleep. Mike White special with a better arm. Does that get you excited?

I’m not picking on Carter Bradley anymore. Just going to leave it alone. Nice hometown story. Good for him. Not saying anything else. Still stinks but no point in beating the dead horse anymore.

Running Backs:

Ray Davis doesn’t blow you away but I like him He’s not super explosive but more giddy up than Chris Rodriguez. Not a guy that’s going to mess around. Hits the hole and gets up field.

Daijun Edwards passed the test. Caught the ball super well. Looked very natural doing it. If you want my opinion, he’s the best running back at the event on both teams.

Hard pass on Michael Wiley. Want nothing to do with him. No twitch at all. Just has no zoom, zoom to him. What is there to be excited about.

Emoni Bailey is kinda of a jack of all trades. Better as a receiver but he’s got some real wiggle to him and gets downhill.

Wide Receivers:

Jamari Thrash can play. Skinny and not a number one but he can get open and catches the ball better than Walker did in the earlier session.

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint is a bit of a snoozefest. Bad drop in 7-on-7. Never really pops off the screen. Had a drop that led to a pick by his teammate Tykee Smith. Really bad day.

Today was red zone day and that’s just not going to be Jha’Quan Jackson’s game. Asking him to win jump balls. Just not his strength. Think he can help in the return game and stretch the field. Not worthless.

You can tell nobody wants to cover Ladd McConkey. Didn’t get a ton of targets in team drills. I’ve seen more than enough. Drew a lot of penalties against the defender which is a good sign.

Tight Ends:

Jaheim Bell can catch the ball and make plays. It is what it is. Going to be a tricky one to figure out. Mostly because if your plan for him stinks he won’t make it.

Offensive Line:

Nothing new on Delmar Glaze. Hit the weights, bro. Only guy he beat was Hunt from Houston Christian and was a converted safety.

Andrew Raym did a nice job on T’Vondre Sweat. One of the few. He and Limmer at Arkansas look similar. Both centers who battle and are never out of the play. Limmer is probably a tick worse. Lost to LSU pretty bad. Limmer isn’t as powerful.

Christian Haynes isn’t bad. Not perfect knee bend but he stands his ground.

Javon Foster is good. Showed off those vice grips against Braswell. Not sure how twitched up he is but he can play.

Christian Jones at Texas is good. He almost gets too wide sometimes but I love his base. If he adds power someone will get a steal. Bends well and stays in control.

Not a huge fan of this Patrick Paul. Yeah, he’s tall but he’s also not really good. Braswell was mostly terrible and swam right by him no problem. You can tell he’s raw with a wide range of outcomes. The guy we see right now isn’t good.

Javion Cohen is terrible. He’s on his heels going for rides constantly. He’s been bad for 95% of the week.

Defensive Line:

Another big day for Darius Robinson. Bull rushed Maryland straight back. Walked UConn right back too lining up inside. He’s just impactful. Probably drew six holding flags during team drills.

Braden Fiske is just so damn slippery. I don’t know what it is but the linemen can’t figure out what he’s doing. They’re only getting chunks of him as he goes by. It’s fun to watch.

Chris Braswell stinks. If he loses the get off he never wins. Can’t chain anything together. The only thing he has going for him is he does have a nasty side and he’s not untalented.

Javonte Jean-Baptiste but pummeled by the Houston guy who has been mostly bad. He looks really small like a Daddy Nicholas that can’t do much.

Justin Eboigbe put Javion Cohen in a blender. Push, pull, ran right through him. Really nice hand work for him.

I gotta have T’Vondre Sweat on my team. That’s all I know.

Linebackers:

Jackson Sirmon made a pick in 7-on-7. Made a few nice pass breakups too. I genuinely don’t know much about him. Maybe I need to do more work.

Safeties:

I would be very surprised if Javon Bullard doesn’t run a better 40 than Tykee Smith. Bullard looks fast out there.

Didn’t see a ton but Elijah Jones might have something to him. Quick feet that can change direction. More to do but potential looks like it’s there.

Kamren Kichens had a good week but lost a lot in the red area covering one-on-one. Got beat by a bunch of different running backs and tight ends. This is him right here going against Sinnot who stinks.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

d

Luke McCaffrey, enough said, kid just works his tail off on routes, 100% effort all the time, never gives up on a route, he routinely gets good body position, good hands for getting off dbs, his routes are good, break points nice.   He' may never be "special" but this kid is going to be a fan favorite i think for whoever takes him.  Just a griddy workman like wr. 

bigger wayne chrebet. We should draft him.

18 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Pearsall has a lot of really nice reps.  Other than roman wilson, no one else on the national team created the separation from their routes like pearsall.  Him and wilson have been the national teams 2 best. 

lest we forget

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

id love to, i like him alot. Just adds a little toughness to that room. 

also heres a comp for you.  Xavier Legette..... David Boston. 

YEEEESSSSSSSSS I AGREE AND I LOVE IT

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I'd love for the Jets to be able to draft D'Vondre Sweat. He would make an already good DL an absolute killer. 

I watched a ton of TX this year and he was unstoppable and moves really well for a guy that size. I think he sneaks into the first round after he kills the combine at his size.

If Jordan Davis can go in the top half of the first, why not Sweat?

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, RobR said:

I watched a ton of TX this year and he was unstoppable and moves really well for a guy that size. I think he sneaks into the first round after he kills the combine at his size.

If Jordan Davis can go in the top half of the first, why not Sweat?

I mean, can you picture a better blend than Quinnen (stud athletic 3 tech), Sweat (kaiju sized, NT), Johnson (strong side DE that is good against the run and pass) and McDonald (fast, bendy, wide 9 speed DE)? The synergy is beautiful. 

• Upvote 3