From PFT...you have to be kidding me?!

NIGHT STALKER

The Jets better not do something dumb as indicated in this text...if we do the unthinkable and trade up, it better be for Bush and even that I have a problem with. Then again this is Pro Football Talk where they probably took the same BS classes as Herm.

LEINART CAMP TRYING TO PERSUADE TITANS TO TAKE MATT

The same source who tipped us off over the weekend to the looming termination of agent Leigh Steinberg by USC quarterback Matt Leinart tells us that the driving force behind the change was the lack of interest that the Titans were demonstrating in the 2004 Heisman winner.

The source says that Titans G.M. Floyd Reese is leaning toward Texas quarterback Vince Young, and Titans coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Norm Chow want Leinart.

The source also tells us that Chow recently informed Leinart that Reese won't trade up to the No. 1 overall spot in order to get Leinart.

Co-agent Chuck Price, who will remain a member of Team Leinart in the wake of the Steinberg termination, supposedly has told Reese that the failure to land Leinart will be the biggest draft gaffe in team history.

Apparently, Reese is now on the fence.

Per the source, Leinart will sign with Tom Condon after the five-day waiting period expires following Leinart's termination, and Condon and Price will work together. Condon's pitch, as we recently heard, was that he'll get either the Titans or the Jets to trade up to No. 1 with the Houston Texans.

The long-term plan, we're told, is for Price to learn the ropes of the agent business over the next couple of years, with an eye toward being the lead agent for Leinart's second contract. (We suspect that Condon hasn't gotten that memo.)

The broader question, as we see it, is whether these goings-on will raise a red flag for any team that otherwise will be interested in Leinart. There's already a question as to whether he has a sufficient passion for the pro game. And his pro day workout was hardly a show stopper.

So by trying to force his way into the No. 1 spot, the risk could be that Leinart slides even lower than he otherwise might have gone.

this is what very well could happen

1) Bush

2) Brick

3) Williams/Young

4) Williams/Ngata/Hawk/Cutler/Davis (anyone but Leinart)

let him go to OAK he'll be happier and more sucessful in CA in the long run

:Nuts:

Don't be surprised if Mangini grabs Ngata at #4.

That would solidify the 3-4 for many years to come.

PatsFanTX suggesting we take another DT at pick number 4- is he setting us up for more material

PatsFanTX suggesting we take another DT at pick number 4- is he setting us up for more material

I was waiting for somebody (I thought it would be bit) to bring that up.:eek:

Actually, the two players are totally different.

Ngata is a pure NT while DFat isn't.

Come to think of it, I have know idea what DFat actually is.

Condon is going to "get" teams to trade to #1 to nab Leinart now? When did he become GM? Why on god's name would you trade to get to #1, and then deal with Condon's outrageous contract demands? Personally, I'd rather deal with another agent, and only deal with Condon and other agent's when I'm desperate for a proven player. I'm still not sure why Dallas dealt with Rosenhaus and TO, I don't think anyone else was willing to offer even half of that.

I've been saying this for some time now. If the Jets get Ngata or Bunkley they would have an unbelivable front 7. There is no doubt in my mind they are eyeing one of these two. Ideally, they would like to trade down to the #7 or #9 spot and pick up an extra pick if possible. If not, I agree they will not be afraid to pull the pin at #4.

I've been saying this for some time now. If the Jets get Ngata or Bunkley they would have an unbelivable front 7. There is no doubt in my mind they are eyeing one of these two. Ideally, they would like to trade down to the #7 or #9 spot and pick up an extra pick if possible. If not, I agree they will not be afraid to pull the pin at #4.

That right there is the ideal situation.

Trade down, pick up an additional 2nd or high 3rd rounder and grab Ngata.

The Jets have a ton of options with the #4 pick.

To me the Jets draft mentality will be very similar to what the Patriots do. They will not become enamored with one player, like Bradway did with Robertson, and give up valuable picks in the early rounds. The Pats I believe traded down once in the late 1st round, however, they have an amazing capacity to collect future #3, #4 picks themselves by trading down. The Jets have too many needs to become infatuated by a star. I also feel they have a relatively low premium on players like Williams aka Abraham. Shore up the middle and you can send a variety of blitz packages - the keys are not necessarily the athleticsm of the blitzer to make it work, but rather the mismatches that are created.

No Cutler Smizz?;)

Hawk and Leinart would also be a huge mistake at #4.

Why reach at 4? Brick/Williams/ would be option 1 & 2....If they are both gone is Ngata or do everything in my power to trade down.

Everything else at 4 is a reach. I don't want Leinart or Cutler.

In today's NFL there is no time to groom high priced high profile QB's anymore with free agency frenzies. Pass on any possible QB and find one in the later rounds or stick with Ramsey or give Penny boy one last hurrah. This is what will happen, Mangini isnt going to draft a franchise QB, its not his style.

Bit, how would you feel about the Jets taking the Duke at 4?

Certainly a visionary pick.

since GJ&H endorsed it, i took another look and can see the case for it - it's not a reach the player carries top 5 value on skillset alone. They say his blocking isn't great but he's got #1 WR measurables in a TE frame, i don't care if they have to stand him off the line the dude runs a 4.3 he should be fine.

The problem here is of positional scarcity, need and just plain conventional wisdom. Tangini can't take the highest TE ever in the history of the draft with their first pick it's too much. It could happen and if it did I wouldn't cry but it won't happen.

alot of bad JETS TE first round mojo over the years.

Ngata is certainly a possibility. I agree with Bill Parcells' planet theory regarding large DT's. If we team up Ngata with Robertson at the base of a 4-3 teams will have a very tough time running against us.

I would go Cutler, Ngata or Vernon Davis at 4. No Vince Young or Ferguson.

Archived