It's gotta be a weapon at 10...right?

So far we've addressed 2/3 of our starting OL needs through the UFA/trade market.  The only open hole remaining is at LT, where in the draft it appears to be Fashanu or bust for us, and by all accounts Fashanu is falling.  On top of this, Calvin freaking Ridley of all people just signed a deal worth $23M per year.  That's the cost for a high-end #2. 

I think there's little doubt the smart move would be to finish off that final OL spot via the free agent market.  Whether it's Bakhtiari or Smith or Brown.  Square your line away, bring in a decent/cheap UFA #4 like Renfrow, and go fill that WR2 spot in the draft.  Even if Nabers and Odunze are both gone by 10, I don't care.  Take Bowers, take BTJ, or trade down and take whoever the hell you want from that next group:  Franklin, Mitchell, Pearsall, Legette, McConkey, Polk.  There are plenty of guys to choose from.

This has to be the play though, especially when you factor in what the market for high end WRs is, and when you factor in that the guy who WAS the best fit for us(Fuaga) just saw his spot get filled.

I'm not sure that any of the big 3 WRs will be there at 10 anymore.

• Arizona needs a LT after cutting Humphries but with MHJ most likely on the board at 4 I cannot see them passing him up
  • Chargers have their LT in Slater and have lost 1 and possibly 2 of their top WRs. They'll likely go Odunze or Nabers
  • Giants have their LT in Thomas and are in desperate need of a WR. They'll likely go whoever is left from Odunze and Nabers
  • Titans need a LT now and while I think QB is in play it really depends which QB and however their board looks like. If it's Alt who is available I can't imagine them passing him up
  • The Falcons seem loaded on offense + have their QB and will a difference maker on defense which I expect to be edge or corner
  • Chicago will look to add a weapon for Caleb but with the top WRs gone at this point I think they go Brock Bowers
  • Leaving us with a Fashanu, Fuaga, and Fautanu OT decision.

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

trade up to 4 if MHJ is there. Go for it.

Arizona needs a WR (or LT) as much as the the NYJ do.
If I’m their GM, I’m asking you “Why would I want to give you the best WR in the draft? What are you going to offer that makes me not laugh and hang up the phone?”

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Arizona needs a WR as badly (or more) than the NYJ.
If I’m their GM, I’m asking you “Why would I want to give you the best WR in the draft? What are you going to offer to make me not laugh and hang up the phone?”

Zach Wilson 👀

• Haha 1

Brian Thomas rising up the boards has perhaps made it a 4 WR top tier.   (His RAS is 9.97)

I've been saying for a while now, Marvin Harrison is going to end up NOT being the top WR from this list 3-5 years from now.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Brian Thomas rising up the boards has perhaps made it a 4 WR top tier.   (His RAS is 9.97)

I've been saying for a while now, Marvin Harrison is going to end up NOT being the top WR from this list 3-5 years from now.

But he may still be the first taken.  Plus i do think BTJ is going to close the gap and may even pass bowers on some boards. 

On 3/14/2024 at 12:05 AM, bonkertons said:

So far we've addressed 2/3 of our starting OL needs through the UFA/trade market.  The only open hole remaining is at LT, where in the draft it appears to be Fashanu or bust for us, and by all accounts Fashanu is falling.  On top of this, Calvin freaking Ridley of all people just signed a deal worth $23M per year.  That's the cost for a high-end #2. 

I think there's little doubt the smart move would be to finish off that final OL spot via the free agent market.  Whether it's Bakhtiari or Smith or Brown.  Square your line away, bring in a decent/cheap UFA #4 like Renfrow, and go fill that WR2 spot in the draft.  Even if Nabers and Odunze are both gone by 10, I don't care.  Take Bowers, take BTJ, or trade down and take whoever the hell you want from that next group:  Franklin, Mitchell, Pearsall, Legette, McConkey, Polk.  There are plenty of guys to choose from.

This has to be the play though, especially when you factor in what the market for high end WRs is, and when you factor in that the guy who WAS the best fit for us(Fuaga) just saw his spot get filled.

no, Best OL unless Nabers or Harrison are there, which they won't be, so Oline.

Smith & Moses are in their 30's & Smith hasn't played a full season in several years... AVT is coming off an achilles so who knows how he'll be... Oline All the way.

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He might not be, but he's the guy who's least likely to be a bust and has the highest certainty to be a star in the NFL, which is why he'll get drafted first among them. His floor is crazy high, and his ceiling is elite as well. That level of certainty in the draft outweighs the perhaps slightly higher ceiling (at more risk) of some of the other guys

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

no, Best OL unless Nabers or Harrison are there, which they won't be, so Oline.

Smith & Moses are in their 30's & Smith hasn't played a full season in several years... AVT is coming off an achilles so who knows how he'll be... Oline All the way.

Can’t you just…yknow…sign depth? Or use a pick that’s not in the top 10 on backup OL?  That seems like awful asset management. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Can’t you just…yknow…sign depth? Or use a pick that’s not in the top 10 on backup OL?  That seems like awful asset management. 

When your apparent starters are in their 30s, highly unreliable & highly unlikely to play each game & are only signed to 1 year contracts it is the astute GM who has reliable, competent players who can step in & take over without skipping a beat & play the position for the next decade +.  

Just a side note, Aaron Rodgers has never had a 1st rd receiver in his HOF career & he has done exceptionally well without one. A "standing" Rodgers will elevate the Jets receiving corps much more than a 1st rd receiver & Rodgers on his back. 

3 minutes ago, jetsons said:

When your apparent starters are in their 30s, highly unreliable & highly unlikely to play each game & are only signed to 1 year contracts it is the astute GM who has reliable, competent players who can step in & take over without skipping a beat & play the position for the next decade +.  

So you’re drafting for the future and not 2024. That’s fair enough. 

Also how is Moses “highly unreliable”? Guy missed 3 games last year and has been an Ironman the rest of his career. Smith is the only one “highly unlikely” to play every game. Maybe add AVT but you’re not drafting a guard at 10. Go draft Zinter in the 4th and sign a vet to backup Smith, along with Warren. That’s plenty of depth to me. 

Can you do me a favor and run down our weapons right now?  Then try to convince me how LT2 is a greater need than WR2. 

17 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

So you’re drafting for the future and not 2024. That’s fair enough. 

Also how is Moses “highly unreliable”? Guy missed 3 games last year and has been an Ironman the rest of his career. Smith is the only one “highly unlikely” to play every game. Maybe add AVT but you’re not drafting a guard at 10. Go draft Zinter in the 4th and sign a vet to backup Smith, along with Warren. That’s plenty of depth to me. 

Can you do me a favor and run down our weapons right now?  Then try to convince me how LT2 is a greater need than WR2. 

Actually Both, Smith hasn't played a full season in several years, the last full season he played was in 2015.

Did you watch Moses play when he was a Jet? He was okay, far from above average, so as a Stud; Highly unreliable.

A standing, healthy Rodgers Will Elevate the receiving corps... a on his back, injured Rodgers, not so much.