Douglas and Saleh comments on Huff

The Huff vs McDonald comparison is interesting: Last year McDonald was a rookie while Huff has played 4 full seasons in the NFL. I used Huff's 3rd season under Saleh in 2022 because his snaps were very close to McD's snaps last year for the comparison.  

Huff in his 3rd year in the Jets system had:            

191 snap counts  6 Total Tackles,  3.5 Sacks, 1 Forced Fumbles, 16 Pressures, 12 QB Hurries

McDonald in his 1st year in the Jets system had:  

184 snap counts  14 Total Tackles 3.0 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles, 7 Pressures ,  1 QB Hurries

And,  McD had 1 tackle for every 10 snaps while Huff had 1 tackle for every 30 snaps.

Just from those numbers we see they're pretty much the same player stats wise, with McDonald being a better tackler but Huff creates more QB Pressures and Hurries. It will be interesting to see if McDonald with gained experience like Huff had will get similar pressures and hurries. 

And finally,

Huff's first season in 2020 stats: 251 snaps, 16 Tackles , 2 Sacks,  2 QB Hits 

Huff in 2023 bet on himself and had a big year with increased snaps     

480 snap counts   29 Total Tackles 10 Sacks  0 Forced Fumbles 

On 3/27/2024 at 9:07 AM, jamesr said:

And I'm sure we'll hear about every time Huff does anything in Philly. :-)  

True, but I expect WMD will surpass Huff by the end of 2024, not only in sacks but more importantly in game changing forced fumbles.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

True, but I expect WMD will surpass Huff by the end of 2024, not only in sacks but more importantly in game changing forced fumbles.

I don't know if he will or he won't. The only thing I'm certain of is those screaming bloody murder about losing Huff - as though there was a credible path to not-losing him - will never bring it up again.

If Douglas really approached him a year ago about an extension, and didn't first begin talks after the trade deadline this past fall, then there isn't much else he can do about a player who absolutely wanted off this defense.

It's not just the money for everyone. There's a frustration factor, knowing one is wasting one's prime years in a situation he doesn't want to stay in. Good luck forcing him to sign a contract - never mind a "cheap" contract - with a player who sees it that way.

Lots - perhaps even most - just take the money: there are no guarantees tomorrow, and careers can change for the worse in 1 play, and there'd be a huge regret in failing to cash in when the opportunity was there. Some want to bet on themselves, for not just a bigger cash-in, but for the pride of personal success & knowing you didn't sell yourself short. Huff, it seems, was in the latter group and you can't buy away him taking his chance to bypass that other lifetime of regret. 

He got $34-35MM guaranteed, plus it's in a defensive scheme/situation he craved being in. The Jets couldn't compete with that offer or that situation. 

Hopefully WMD is in the ballpark (or better) in terms of pass-rushing prowess, and (like JJII) is a better overall/rounded player. Hopefully not just to ease the sting of losing Huff, but because he was a 1st round pick for the future that didn't even plug a current hole when he was first drafted. :crossfingers:

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:21 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

The problem here really isn't Huff walking at the end of his deal.  The problem is the Jets made no effort to trade him prior to the trade deadline last season. 

They evidently KNEW he was going to walk, so why not start trying to sell him off the moment Rodgers went down?  Makes no sense that we didn't end up sellers, especially for a team that doesn't have a 2nd rounder.

Because anybody that wanted him for a 2nd rounder could have had him for a 2nd rounder in the offseason at the same salary we gave him and didn't?  They weren't sniffing a 2nd for him.  He had like 3.5 sacks at the trade deadline.  Teams were lining up to throw 2nds at us?  That barely one rung above thinking we were getting a 2nd for him on the tag.  We maybe could have gotten a 4th instead of the 3rd round comp we are likely to get now.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know if he will or he won't. The only thing I'm certain of is those screaming bloody murder about losing Huff - as though there was a credible path to not-losing him - will never bring it up again.

If Douglas really approached him a year ago about an extension, and didn't first begin talks after the trade deadline this past fall, then there isn't much else he can do about a player who absolutely wanted off this defense.

It's not just the money for everyone. There's a frustration factor, knowing one is wasting one's prime years in a situation he doesn't want to stay in. Good luck forcing him to sign a contract - never mind a "cheap" contract - with a player who sees it that way.

Lots - perhaps even most - just take the money: there are no guarantees tomorrow, and careers can change for the worse in 1 play, and there'd be a huge regret in failing to cash in when the opportunity was there. Some want to bet on themselves, for not just a bigger cash-in, but for the pride of personal success & knowing you didn't sell yourself short. Huff, it seems, was in the latter group and you can't buy away him taking his chance to bypass that other lifetime of regret. 

He got $34-35MM guaranteed, plus it's in a defensive scheme/situation he craved being in. The Jets couldn't compete with that offer or that situation. 

Hopefully WMD is in the ballpark (or better) in terms of pass-rushing prowess, and (like JJII) is a better overall/rounded player. Hopefully not just to ease the sting of losing Huff, but because he was a 1st round pick for the future that didn't even plug a current hole when he was first drafted. :crossfingers:

Nice breakdown! I agree,

Also from just analyzing countless stats comparing Huff and McDonald it really comes down to one thing that McDonald has that Huff doesn't and that is length and wingspan. That's it IMO!

In Huff's case it's viewed as limiting him to not have it and he's seen as a 1 trick pony while McD used his length and wingspan in college to get 10 Forced Fumbles while Huff only managed 4 .

They both got 1 FF last year but that was Huff's first 1 in 4 seasons!. MCD had 300 less snaps as well...

Both can get to the QB and should have similar sack #'s this season though it's by different skill sets. Quick get off vs freaky bendy athleticism. 

That extra physical trait of length and wingspan also helps in tackling by keeping them clean which MCD is already better at and is the difference between a first RD pick and a FA... IMO...

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Because anybody that wanted him for a 2nd rounder could have had him for a 2nd rounder in the offseason at the same salary we gave him and didn't?  They weren't sniffing a 2nd for him.  He had like 3.5 sacks at the trade deadline.  Teams were lining up to throw 2nds at us?  That barely one rung above thinking we were getting a 2nd for him on the tag.  We maybe could have gotten a 4th instead of the 3rd round comp we are likely to get now.

Didn’t say we’d get a 2nd dude.  Was saying a team like us lacking a 2nd needed more picks in this year’s draft.  I’d have gladly taken the 2024 4th over the 2025 third.  

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Didn’t say we’d get a 2nd dude.  Was saying a team like us lacking a 2nd needed more picks in this year’s draft.  I’d have gladly taken the 2024 4th over the 2025 third.  

Fair enough.  I don't know that we'd have even gotten a 4th.  IMO that was on the high side of what we could have gotten.  

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Are we even likely to get any comp for Huff, considering we signed Tyron Smith and Mike WIlliams?

43 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Are we even likely to get any comp for Huff, considering we signed Tyron Smith and Mike WIlliams?

it hasn't played out yet.  Tyron Smith and Mike Williams were cut.  They do not count on the formula.  Morgan Moses was a trade.  I think the only contracts that they took on that count are Simpson and Kinlaw.  I guess Tyrod Taylor too.  I think the corner from SF and Fotu signed for deals small enough they don't count.  Clowney would have also.  They lost Whitehead, Huff and Quinton Jefferson, so I'm not strictly sure.  I assume they are really hoping Becton and Lawson sign decent deals.  Other former superstars, Bryce Hall and Brett Rypien signed for peanuts and won't count either.

• Upvote 2