Douglas and Saleh comments on Huff

43 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I like Huff and wish we could have kept him but  he'll never be an every down guy and shouldn't be an every down guy.  He's a situational pass rusher. An elite one, yes, but that's what he is 

You are right but I would have liked to have one of those in my arsenal. Always about the price tag and he wanted too much given other needs.

Hope he kills it.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I find it somewhat ironic not paying him because he’s ‘only’ a situational pass rusher but then investing a premium 1st round pick on his replacement, another situational pass rusher.

Pretty much. Makes zero sense. McDonald didn’t do sh*t last year either. If you draft someone in the 1st, they better contribute. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jethead said:

You are right but I would have liked to have one of those in my arsenal. Always about the price tag and he wanted too much given other needs.

Hope he kills it.

Especially against the Giants!

Saquan as well! I hope he runs roughshod over them!

15 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I find it somewhat ironic not paying him because he’s ‘only’ a situational pass rusher but then investing a premium 1st round pick on his replacement, another situational pass rusher.

McDonald isn't going to be a situational pass rusher though.  He'll play vs the run and pass with limited snaps due to system more than skill set.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

McDonald isn't going to be a situational pass rusher though.  He'll play vs the run and pass with limited snaps due to system more than skill set.

The math doesn’t work too well if they sign Clowney and keep JFM.  His snaps and usage in this scenario won’t be that much higher than those of a situational pass rusher.  

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The new york jets have ZERO every down dlienman.

Our best dlineman who is one of the very top paid D players n the league gets 70% of the snaps.

Yes the biggest issue the Jets will have after they fire Saleh is the DL will be sh*t if they change D systems with new coach.

Well and probably a QB.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Yes the biggest issue the Jets will have after they fire Saleh is the DL will be sh*t if they change D systems with new coach.

Well and probably a QB.

When you go out of your way not to have the best players on the field and when you have to LOAD your roster with one position group due to over rotation there are draw backs.

Huge rotation has pluses and for sure minuses as well.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Huff got a 3 year 51m deal. McDonald will make 4m a year, roughly. 

Ignoring the fact that Huff got some void years and going just off AAV, that's 13m a year savings. If McDonald is even close, that may be worth it. Considering that it's rumored we'd sign Clowney for around 10m, which would replace Huffs sack production along with better run coverage (and another body for the rotation) and you could argue it IS worth it.

In actuality I'm disappointed we let Huff walk too, mainly because he is home grown. But in terms of paying and drafting the "premium" positions, and roster savings, this is how GMs operate now

I get that and acknowledge it’s not an apples to apples comparison.  But still .. the Jets had so many other needs and instead valued drafting McDonald above all else.

Meaning they place a high value on situational pass rushers but not high enough to keep them from leaving.

Most teams that use a first round pick on someone who then succeeds tries to lock them up longer term.  If McDonald succeeds, does that mean we are going to let him walk because we don’t want to pay him a market rate?  

Just not a good use of draft capital in my opinion.  Teams tend not to develop successful first rounders just to replace them with another first rounder.  Amd if they feel they need to due to cap considerations they’ll anticipate this and trade the player for high draft capital (the replacement cost).

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I get that and acknowledge it’s not an apples to apples comparison.  But still .. the Jets had so many other needs and instead valued drafting McDonald above all else.

Meaning they place a high value on situational pass rushers but not high enough to keep them from leaving.

Most teams that use a first round pick on someone who then succeeds tries to lock them up longer term.  If McDonald succeeds, does that mean we are going to let him walk because we don’t want to pay him a market rate?  

Just not a good use of draft capital in my opinion.  Teams tend not to develop successful first rounders just to replace them with another first rounder.  Amd if they feel they need to due to cap considerations they’ll anticipate this and trade the player for high draft capital (the replacement cost).

Yeah. I really wanted JSN, who would have been huge value at that pick. And then we'd have saved the money on Mike Williams and wouldn't have been stressing the horrid Lazard signing as much too! And that's another "premium" positions.

I liked Huff, I do feel we can find ways to replace his production for 13m, but McDonald was and still is a head scratcher for me too. I believe there is also 1 or 2 OL guys who went later in Round 1 that would have saved us a big headache this off season too (at "premium" positions).

I will say - hopefully this team is eventually loaded with enough talent as to where we HAVE to let good players walk now and again, and hope we can get our money's worth from draft prospects due to the great players we have on big contracts. But we don't necessarily have that kind of roster talent yet, making the McDonald pick look even more luxurious 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Huff got a 3 year 51m deal. McDonald will make 4m a year, roughly. 

Ignoring the fact that Huff got some void years and going just off AAV, that's 13m a year savings. If McDonald is even close, that may be worth it. Considering that it's rumored we'd sign Clowney for around 10m, which would replace Huffs sack production along with better run coverage (and another body for the rotation) and you could argue it IS worth it.

In actuality I'm disappointed we let Huff walk too, mainly because he is home grown. But in terms of paying and drafting the "premium" positions, and roster savings, this is how GMs operate now

And with the Huff money the Jets rebuilt 3/5 of the offensive line - all upgrades (…even if injured)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The math doesn’t work too well if they sign Clowney and keep JFM.  His snaps and usage in this scenario won’t be that much higher than those of a situational pass rusher.  

But Huff wouldn't have been happy with his snap counts here.

And both JFM and Clowney are better all around players.

7 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yeah don’t let these idiots bullsh*t you. 

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Our best dlineman who is one of the very top paid D players n the league gets 70% of the snaps.

Which is a huge waste of roster space. They could heavily rotate backups and just have less DL players that are more well rounded. 

I think what it came down to was that they didn't think Huff was still an every down DE. And we have young talent there. So take the comp pick and go.

We all knew the defense wasn't why we didn't win games. And we didn't stay in games bc of Huff.

That money that could've been spent on him needed to go to the offense and it did for the most part.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I don’t think we know that just yet.  Macdonald apparently has some pretty unique skills so maybe they use him to drop into pass coverage.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Not irony...Just very bad management.

Last season, Joe Douglas lost all sense of how to manage an NFL franchise.

9 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I like Huff and wish we could have kept him but  he'll never be an every down guy and shouldn't be an every down guy.  He's a situational pass rusher. An elite one, yes, but that's what he is 

In other words, a perfect fit for the Saleh system.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Huff didn't want to stay as a situational pass rusher, though. You can't force him to sign an extension, and sometimes it's just not a fit with where the player wants to be. Tagging him would've given him a 25% raise over the top offer he got as a UFA, only for 1 season more, couldn't have manipulated his cap number down, and oh yeah he would've been miserable here (potentially holding out all summer long, only returning around Sept 1st just in time to take their money but not really provide value until he was in game shape a month or so later). 

I doubt think the goal, in drafting McDonald, was to merely find another situational pass rusher as some even-swap for Huff. Will he work out as even that (never mind more full time like JJII)? Who knows, but even with their DL rotation I'm sure they would prefer someone whom they felt only had situational value, since no one would prefer such a thing. Almost half his snaps as a senior he supposedly lined up opposite if not outright inside the tackle. 

It also could have been a different timeline than people are thinking (myself included). Could be they tried to lock him up; he refused because he thought he could get his dollars up, so they RFA-tagged him; tried again after no one came calling to give up a 2nd rounder for him, and still he didn't bite; faced with losing him and no one in the pipeline - Huff and Lawson both had just 1 contract year remaining - and JJII not exactly setting the world on fire as a rookie (prior to the '23 season or even offseason, he was almost universally viewed as the lone "miss" among their first 4 draft '22 draft picks - edge rusher became an option in the 1st round of the draft.

None of us were in the room, so who knows...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think what it came down to was that they didn't think Huff was still an every down DE. And we have young talent there. So take the comp pick and go.

We all knew the defense wasn't why we didn't win games. And we didn't stay in games bc of Huff.

That money that could've been spent on him needed to go to the offense and it did for the most part.

Agree, as long as MacDonald can do the job.

1 minute ago, OilfieldJet said:

In other words, a perfect fit for the Saleh system.

He was a perfect fit and did great.  But, we can't pretend the salary cap doesn't exist.  He was never going to re-sign here for the money we could afford to pay him.  Everybody knew that.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What does 70% of the reps have to do with it?  Every down means they can be on the field regardless of if it’s a run or passing down.  Our best DL, Quinnen can be on the field in either situation, Huff can’t.  

It’s not how many snaps they take. LOL

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not irony...Just very bad management.

Last season, Joe Douglas lost all sense of how to manage an NFL franchise.

When he drafted Huffs “replacement” Huff had seasons of 2, 2 and 3.5 sacks.

Think that one through

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

When he drafted Huffs “replacement” Huff had seasons of 2, 2 and 3.5 sacks.

Think that one through

I know you watch the Jet games - and know you're a fan - but then I have to question how you watched Huff play and came away with a data point like this as something that explains away this horrible decision.

When Huff played he was dominant.  Not being used is a coaching/system problem.  If you don't want to use a player like that  then why draft a lesser version of him with #10 overall?

The Jets should have reset the DE market for a guy that took advantage of only being in the game in rushing situations with fresh legs.  

No doubt that if he plays first and second down all game he’ll live up to the contract 

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I know you watch the Jet games - and know you're a fan - but then I have to question how you watched Huff play and came away with a data point like this as something that explains away this horrible decision.

When Huff played he was dominant.  Not being used is a coaching/system problem.  If you don't want to use a player like that  then why draft a lesser version of him with #10 overall?

Once again, I watched sack the QB 2, 2 & 3.5 times those 3 seasons.  He bet on himself and had his one 10 sack season.  Good move.  
In McDonald the lope is he’s more than a passing down lineman.  He played the run well in college and rushed the QB well.  He was drafted to be a better all around player, not to be a lesser player