Bill Polian comment on Sirius

46 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

During their draft discussion this morning on NFL radio, Polian was quoting someone he worked for/with (I didn't hear who) who basically said (paraphrasing):  WRs can be found at anytime (in the draft) but God doesn't make many 300+ lbs men with long arms who a can move well on their feet. When you have a chance to get one of them, you should.

The "planet theory" that Parcells and/or George Young always referenced.  There are only so many 300+ lb guys on this planet...

Legendary coach Bill Parcells frequently espoused the "Planet Theory," in which Parcells posited that there are so few men both large enough and athletic enough to be NFL linemen that they are intrinsically valuable just standing there.

During Saturday's NFL scouting combine drills at Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium, Georgia defensive tackle Jordan Davis extended the Planet Theory to its illogical limits when he lined up at 6-foot-6 and 341 pounds, and somehow ran an official 4.78-second 40-yard dash, with a 1.68-second 10-yard split.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/03/05/jordan-davis-nfl-scouting-combine-workout/49897101/

• Upvote 3

It’s all about which WR and OT are available.

Take the best of either position and feel good about it.

Equal value on your draft board ranking?… then draft for need.

Equal need on your at each position for your team (which we currently face)?…then who will have a greater impact now.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, that used to be the case but not so anymore. Plenty more huge men now, to the point some of them are too huge on the wrong side of 340-350. 

Also back in Polian's and Parcells's heydays, defenders could still really tee off on QBs, unlike now. 

Polian is way overrated. Truth is he lived a charmed life in the NFL.

The USFL failed so Jim Kelly went back to the NFL just as he got hired in Buffalo. He was handed a team with a young Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Darryl Talley, and more. He lucked into UDFA Kent Hull even more than Douglas lucking into Bryce Huff, seeing how the draft was 12 rounds long back then. Then if the Colts didn't stiff paying Cornelius Bennett he wouldn't have been in play either. 

Went to expansion Carolina, and what happened with them and Jacksonville led to the NFL reversing itself so hard on such advantages given to expansion teams (Cleveland wasn't given such prizes a few years later). 

Then he goes to the Colts and benefits from Parcells decidedly not-committing to Peyton Manning with his #1 pick, who waited an extra couple months to hear what he wanted to, before reluctantly deciding to return to Tennessee.

Tuna followed his own planet theory crap so much that, even after effectively passing on Peyton Manning, he then passed on both Orlando Pace and Walter Jones.

I'm not some crazy Bill Polian fan, but when your charmed life has that many paragraphs you were doing something right.  Sure Parcells didn't  promise Peyton, but Polian could have taken Leaf and people would not have been shocked.  He put up a ton to get Bennett, and we never heard about how they couldn't restock because they had no assets, did we? 

• Upvote 3

Well, he's wrong.  OL is the most abundant position and easiest position to find talent throughout every round of the draft, just simply by supply and demand.  Obviously WR would be up there too but I'd probably put RB in that category before WR because of positional value. 

Where I think this theory is more applicable is w/ DL and Edge because the standard athletic traits are way more necessary to succeed in those positions and the supply demand is low because we're talking about 1% type of athletic freaks who have the physical and athletic disposition to play those positions. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Well, he's wrong.  OL is the most abundant position and easiest position to find talent throughout every round of the draft, just simply by supply and demand.  Obviously WR would be up there too but I'd probably put RB in that category before WR because of positional value. 

Where I think this theory is more applicable is w/ DL and Edge because the standard athletic traits are way more necessary to succeed in those positions and the supply demand is low because we're talking about 1% type of athletic freaks who have the physical and athletic disposition to play those positions. 

I'm not sure if he was talking about all OL in general. I think (not sure as I didn't hear this part) based on where the conversation went he was talking about OTs and probably LTs specifically.

Of course there are a lot of big strong 300lbs + guys. But he also talked about having good feet and the ability to move well.

That's why franchise LTs get paid big $ and usually don't hit FA in their prime. They're not that easy to find.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

During their draft discussion this morning on NFL radio, Polian was quoting someone he worked for/with (I didn't hear who) who basically said (paraphrasing):  WRs can be found at anytime (in the draft) but God doesn't make many 300+ lbs men with long arms who a can move well on their feet. When you have a chance to get one of them, you should.

True Dat. 

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not some crazy Bill Polian fan, but when your charmed life has that many paragraphs you were doing something right.  Sure Parcells didn't  promise Peyton, but Polian could have taken Leaf and people would not have been shocked.  He put up a ton to get Bennett, and we never heard about how they couldn't restock because they had no assets, did we? 

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, that used to be the case but not so anymore. Plenty more huge men now, to the point some of them are too huge on the wrong side of 340-350. 

Also back in Polian's and Parcells's heydays, defenders could still really tee off on QBs, unlike now. 

Polian is way overrated. Truth is he lived a charmed life in the NFL.

The USFL failed so Jim Kelly went back to the NFL just as he got hired in Buffalo. He was handed a team with a young Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Darryl Talley, and more. He lucked into UDFA Kent Hull even more than Douglas lucking into Bryce Huff, seeing how the draft was 12 rounds long back then. Then if the Colts didn't stiff paying Cornelius Bennett he wouldn't have been in play either. 

Went to expansion Carolina, and what happened with them and Jacksonville led to the NFL reversing itself so hard on such advantages given to expansion teams (Cleveland wasn't given such prizes a few years later). 

Then he goes to the Colts and benefits from Parcells decidedly not-committing to Peyton Manning with his #1 pick, who waited an extra couple months to hear what he wanted to, before reluctantly deciding to return to Tennessee. Meanwhile he was served 20 years with HOF QBs handed right to him, and he's got 1 ring to show for it (itself because of finally matching up with a paper tiger from a weak NFC).

Tuna followed his own planet theory crap so much that, even after effectively passing on Peyton Manning, he then passed on both Orlando Pace and Walter Jones, for a linebacker he quickly benched for 2/3 of his tenure here.

Amazing post!  Enjoyed every word and would've be happy if there were more.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

What are your sources telling you, btw?  :)

On 4/9/2024 at 11:33 AM, C Mart said:

The "planet theory" that Parcells and/or George Young always referenced.  There are only so many 300+ lb guys on this planet...

Legendary coach Bill Parcells frequently espoused the "Planet Theory," in which Parcells posited that there are so few men both large enough and athletic enough to be NFL linemen that they are intrinsically valuable just standing there.

During Saturday's NFL scouting combine drills at Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium, Georgia defensive tackle Jordan Davis extended the Planet Theory to its illogical limits when he lined up at 6-foot-6 and 341 pounds, and somehow ran an official 4.78-second 40-yard dash, with a 1.68-second 10-yard split.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/03/05/jordan-davis-nfl-scouting-combine-workout/49897101/

Ah, Jordan Davis, a dude I wanted regardless of needs.

On 4/9/2024 at 7:44 AM, CTJetsFan said:

Unfortunately then, we got Becton from Uranus and not the correct planet.

• Haha 3