With a draft class set to provide little contribution in '24, the NY Jets need to turn to the '23 draft class to find success this season

43 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

This is everyone's favorite scenario, which I get because history has shown Smith wont play every game but what if this year, that stint of missed games happens early.  Hypothetically, week 1 he goes down...you think they're putting a rookie LT to protect Rodgers blindside?  Or do you think they'd turn to Carter Warren who played decent down the stretch last season?  

It depends. If Olu looks really good in camp and preseason, yes, he will definitely get the nod over Warren. And for a guy as talented as him, who excels in Pass Pro, I would not put it past him to do just that. 

10 hours ago, Dcat said:
  1.  Of course.  Everything here is assumption based.  Just look at the OP you made.
  2. absolutely!
  3. Yes
  4. Yes
  5.  No.  I have doubts Izzy gets much time if he remains on the team at all.  But I hope I'm wrong.
  6. Duh
  7. I read it again.  Thanks for sharing all your opinions and assumptions like the rest of us.  Your chance of being correct is just as low or high as the next thread.  Nothing enlightening as you seem to think it is.

Fantastic, thanks for contributing to this worthless topic.  Your participation has been outstanding.  And I'm sorry my game of assumptions doesnt meet your expectations for all the other assumptions that are acceptable. 

Maybe we shouldnt post anymore till the start of the season?  

@Maxman since there is nothing to discuss related to the projection and assumptions of the '24 season, I suggest shutting the site down as nothing enlightening is bound to happen.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I have zero objections to any post that discusses the importance of the '23 class producing for us this year.  All that is mutually agreed.  These are the early statements I find overly presumptuous about the '24 class and JD's UDFAs this spring.  Kind of ruined the rest of the post after reading that sht.

Unsupported assumptions delivered as if they were factual:

Truth?  LOL.  Assumption.

a bit extreme here... but I get that it helps you to make your point.  I disagree completely.  I think JD had a very good FA haul that will help this team a great deal.

I agree on the importance of the '23 class.  Why would anyone disagree with that?  But I just don't get why you felt it was necessary to claim that this year's UDFAs won't work out ("never") and this years draft class will contribute zilch.  Watever.  Weird post.

I will stick w/ my take and as always, I'm confident that I'll be right, yet again.  It's kind of my thing, if you havent been paying attention.

p.s. thank you for continuing to participate in this worthless stupid topic.  You're a kind man.

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

It depends. If Olu looks really good in camp and preseason, yes, he will definitely get the nod over Warren. And for a guy as talented as him, who excels in Pass Pro, I would not put it past him to do just that. 

Fantastic!  I'm looking forward to it!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

What were the Jets supposed to do exactly? They needed OT help, they picked best available LT. They needed a receiver, they moved up and picked a receiver in the 3rd rd. They needed some RB depth, and they added backs to spell Hall especially in short yardage situations where they sucked last year. All of these guys will probably see some playing time as we all know injuries happen. This roster is good with some depth and there were upgrades added in the off season so not many spots open. I have no problem with this draft at all and I have criticized JD a ton in the past. 

They did everything, perfect!  This is going to be the bestest draft class ever!  

When you think about it, the '23 class could all bust out, just like the 21 class and the 20 class, so yeah, never mind, we dont need Will McDonald or Tippy to be good!  They can suck because we got this super duper ready to play '24 class to rely on! 

• More Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Apologize for the idea that a OT at 11 was a waste because you think he won’t play in 2023.  Start there.  Tyron Smith and his gold jacket have missed like 36 games in the last 4 seasons yet our backup isn’t necessary because he won’t see the field this year.  So yeah, the over the top take is the rant that this draft doesn’t address 2023.  

Im not feeling bad, don’t need to feel better.  I’m not butt hurt that someone I wanted wasn’t picked or whatever issues some are dealing with.  Why?  Because I’m not arrogant enough to think I know more than NFL front offices.  

I know we don't agree often but this is the Jets front office that we're talking about here, 13 years without playoffs, Joe Douglas is 27-56 as GM and the only thing he has to show for is the 2022 draft class and some trades here and there.

8 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I know we don't agree often but this is the Jets front office that we're talking about here, 13 years without playoffs, Joe Douglas is 27-56 as GM and the only thing he has to show for is the 2022 draft class and some trades here and there.

that's what decades of bad  atrocious QBs do to a team.

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

Jet fans: Jets never think about the future. So short sighted! 

Also Jet fans: Why are we drafting next year's Franchise LT? We are in win now mode! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

They did everything, perfect!  This is going to be the bestest draft class ever!  

When you think about it, the '23 class could all bust out, just like the 21 class and the 20 class, so yeah, never mind, we dont need Will McDonald or Tippy to be good!  They can suck because we got this super duper ready to play '24 class to rely on! 

Talk about thin-skinned!  geez you are one overly-sensitive poster.   

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Also Jet fans: Why are we drafting next year's Franchise LT? We are in win now mode! 

And then to act all aghast and affronted, that Olu will actually spell Tyron from time-to-time and/or Moses.     Of course, they exaggerate it to sound like it would be like a continual Saleh DL rotation.   Anything nonsensical to "prove" that Olu won't contribute this year.  WTF?  This message board can really suck.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

This is nonsense. I simply stated they filled their biggest needs coming in to the draft. OL, WR, RB. It's not like they had a plethora of top picks either. They did well with what they had to work with and the holes they needed to address. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Oh I do, I so so so apologize for hurting everyone's feeling and questioning a GM w/ one of the worst performance in NFL history and who happens to be, ******* terrible at drafting (outside of having 1 good year w/ 4 first round picks), how dare I?  How dare I say, he gang, lets focus on last years class because man, we need'em!

How about just dealing with this draft class and moving on?  Repeating the same story of one great draft and nothing else has nothing to do with these players won’t help in 2024.  Nobody has brought up history, we’re talking about the 2024 draft

• Upvote 1

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

This is nonsense. I simply stated they filled their biggest needs coming in to the draft. OL, WR, RB. It's not like they had a plethora of top picks either. They did well with what they had to work with and the holes they needed to address. 

You hurt his feelings apparently.  How else does a grown man instantly reply like a sarcastic teeny bopper?

• Upvote 2

I expect Fashanu to be the #1 backup OL in 2024, and as fragile as our starting 5 are, I expect we will see him play (Contribute) in 2024.

I expect Corely to the starting #3/slot WR with Wilson/Williams.  Lazard should be gone, Gipson is a JAG.  I expect him to contribute in 2024.

I expect Allen to be the #3/short yardage RB/FB at times in 2024.  Not sure how well it'll work out, but I do expect him to have the opportunity to contribute.

The CB and Safety may get looks, depending on injuries to the starters/Saleh's rotation thing.  They're depth.

Outside injury to Hall/Izzy, I do not expect Davis to contribute much at RB.

I do not expect Travis to contribute at all.  

So for the most part, I do expect the 2024 class to contribute in 2024.  And to play key roles as backups for vital spots (OL, RB, WR, S, CB) in a way we were not prepared for in past seasons (see Rodgers backup Zach Wilson's, and then his backups, as an example of failure of contingency planning).

Fash and Corley also have potential as long-term pieces as well as short-term gap fillers.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I hear you but I also hear we’re bundling up Tannenbaum, idzik and McCaggnan into JD’s FO.  He F’d up having ZW as his QB pick, we know it.  Is the reason for losses and a horrible record.  But this roster is loaded IMO and others, he’s managed to put together a strong D and hopefully a strong O.  I hope

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Joe Douglas has so far:

Drafted Mekhi Becton - Bust

Drafted AVT - Played 28 of 50 possible games (gave two 3rds to get him)

Drafted Elijah Moore - Bust

Drafted Denzel Mims - Lmao

Drafted Zach Wilson - Should I start?

Drafted Jabari Zuninga - Wtf?

I know that a lot of you guys are not ready to talk about AVT and will probably disagree with me but for a guy who has been a little above average when playing and missed almost half of the games that he was supossed to play that was a lot of draft capital.

Thats a lot of early draft capital and im not even getting into the FAs that he got, we're know on that phase that T0mShanes mentioned that JD is trying hard to get players to cover for his pasts ****ups

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I hear you but I also hear we’re bundling up Tannenbaum, idzik and McCaggnan into JD’s FO.  He F’d up having ZW as his QB pick, we know it.  Is the reason for losses and a horrible record.  But this roster is loaded IMO and others, he’s managed to put together a strong D and hopefully a strong O.  I hope

Not everyone is all bad and JD isn't, he has very good pickups but when he misses he misses hard.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Talk about thin-skinned!  geez you are one overly-sensitive poster.   

Are you still contributing to this worthless topic?  Thanks! 

And yes the posters who’s name was turned from JiF to JustInFudge, by the moderators, and has embraced it, is super duper, thin skinned. 

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I think if they could have gotten the S from Washington State and Mahogany not Isaiah Davis, who likely is not much better than Nick Bawden, we are all feeling 10X better about this draft. 

Trading away all those picks just to take 2 rbs was a head scratcher

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

You hurt his feelings apparently.  How else does a grown man instantly reply like a sarcastic teeny bopper?

Man, lots of personal attacks from you but yes, tell me more how I’m the thinned skinned, teeny bopper.  

Just now, JustInFudge said:

Man, lots of personal attacks from you but yes, tell me more how I’m the thinned skinned, teeny bopper.  

Your reply to his post says it all.  Bopper.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

How about just dealing with this draft class and moving on?  Repeating the same story of one great draft and nothing else has nothing to do with these players won’t help in 2024.  Nobody has brought up history, we’re talking about the 2024 draft

Well, actually I’m talking about the 23 class stepping up for the team but ya know, details. 

On 4/29/2024 at 11:25 AM, JustInFudge said:

I know all the talk right now is about this class and understood, it's fresh but either way you slice it, even if you disagree it was underwhelming, the truth is this draft class will have a very limited impact on the success of the '24 season. 

Yeah, actually you weren’t talking about this draft class.  Our imagination

Yes, you’re right, it’s about the details

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, actually you weren’t talking about this draft class.  Yes it’s about the derails

It's called, setting the stage as to why I'm emphasizing the need for the '23 class to step up.  Either way you spin it, the Jets drafted a bunch of back ups.  That's not opinion, it's fact.   Fashanu is only starting if injury occurs.  That is a back up.  You're hoping Corley jumps someone, right now, he's behind both Gipson and Lazard because he's a back up.  You're hoping Allen jumps Izzy but as of right now, he's probably 3rd string.  So again, today, they're all back ups.  And while depth is very necessary, back ups, unless due to injury, typically, dont give you the biggest impact on your team unless they are a really good cheerleader.  You dont like it?  I dont care, suck it butter cup, it's the facts.   So, after I explained the facts, I proceeded to post 5 paragraphs about the players we drafted last year and why they need to step up.  You and a couple other homers, got all up in your feelings and ignored everything I wrote about '23 and only focused on what I said about '24.  Why you hate the '23 class so much?  Hater. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I cant believe you're such a hater, dude.  

I'll put you down as someone who hates Will McDonald and thinks he's a bust. 

Hater?  

I’ve said I like and understood the Will McDonald pick from day 1.  I think he’ll be counted on and hope he makes the jump from year 1 to year 2 like JJ.  

22 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

It's called, setting the stage as to why I'm emphasizing the need for the '23 class to step up.  Either way you spin it, the Jets drafted a bunch of back ups.  That's not opinion, it's fact.   Fashanu is only starting if injury occurs.  That is a back up.  You're hoping Corley jumps someone, right now, he's behind both Gipson and Lazard because he's a back up.  You're hoping Allen jumps Izzy but as of right now, he's probably 3rd string.  So again, today, they're all back ups.  And while depth is very necessary, back ups, unless due to injury, typically, dont give you the biggest impact on your team unless they are a really good cheerleader.  You dont like it?  I dont care, suck it butter cup, it's the facts.   So, after I explained the facts, I proceeded to post 5 paragraphs about the players we drafted last year and why they need to step up.  You and a couple other homers, got all up in your feelings and ignored everything I wrote about '23 and only focused on what I said about '24.  Why you hate the '23 class so much?  Hater. 

Eh.  That is kind of true with some positions, but not others.  With Oline?  Sure, backups don't have much impact barring injury.  With weapon types, like Corley or Allen, they can be backups and still provide a major contribution with TDs, etc.  Similar to pass rushers like McDonald or Reddick, they won't need too many snaps to have an impact.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

So which is it buttercup, are we talking the 2023 draft playing and helping or the 2024 being backups using ass backwards logic.  
When FA hit the Jets didn’t know which or if any of the LTs would be available so they invested a lot of Woodys money into a FA LT.  Smart enough to only committing to a 1 year deal.  Fast forward to the draft and a top LT is sitting there but in your estimation they should pass because even though their new FA missed 36 games the past 4 seasons that LT they drafted would be considered a backup and that would make some in the fanbase feel sad.  The same draftee that without Tyrone Smith on the roster they would be celebrating.  Right buttercup? 

We shouldn’t have drafted a WR because other than #1 they’re all backups or something, won’t contribute?  And because you believe in April that he’s behind Lazard and Gipson?  

Got it. 😎

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  That is kind of true with some positions, but not others.  With Oline?  Sure, backups don't have much impact barring injury.  With weapon types, like Corley or Allen, they can be backups and still provide a major contribution with TDs, etc.  Similar to pass rushers like McDonald or Reddick, they won't need too many snaps to have an impact.

Sure but again, realistically, what is Corley going to give you as a 3rd round pick rookie?  2 TD's?  I'm looking at last year, that's the average for a WR in the 3rd round w/ Tank Dell as outlier w/ 7.   And if you go look at the year before, 3rd round WR's to date are around 3.  We can all love Corley, but we need to also be realistic.

I dont even want to go down this path w/ the RB's but sure, maybe one of them scores this year.  

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So which is it buttercup, are we talking the 2023 draft playing and helping or the 2024 being backups using ass backwards logic.  
When FA hit the Jets didn’t know which or if any of the LTs would be available so they invested a lot of Woodys money into a FA LT.  Smart enough to only committing to a 1 year deal.  Fast forward to the draft and a top LT is sitting there but in your estimation they should pass because even though their new FA missed 36 games the past 4 seasons that LT they drafted would be considered a backup and that would make some in the fanbase feel sad.  The same draftee that without Tyrone Smith on the roster they would be celebrating.  Right buttercup? 

We shouldn’t have drafted a WR because other than #1 they’re all backups or something, won’t contribute?  And because you believe in April that he’s behind Lazard and Gipson?  

Got it. 😎

It's not shocking that you're not following the most simple of logic, Sugar t!ts.  Lol, nobody said anything about who or what they should have drafted.  Simply, they project as back ups as we speak today.

Lets try it this way, I feel like it will resonate better w/ some of you, especially you;

I'm super duper excited about this draft class.  I love the depth they provide for this season and the roles they could fill in the future because  I'm sure all of them will have HOF careers.  I cant wait for their careers to develop as NY Jets and being front row for their greatness.  They're going to be great players for us in years to come!  However, this year, they might not contribute that much because this roster is loaded and many of them project to be back ups to some of our very best players like T. Smith, B.Hall, G.Wilson, M.Williams, etc. and yet, some of the '23 players are projected to start and / or play a ton ie; Will McDonald, Tippy, Izzy, Warner 

Here's to them stepping up and really helping this team win in '24 because I really love what the '23 class has to offer!!!!

Do you feel better now?  

3 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Joe Douglas has so far:

Drafted Mekhi Becton - Bust

Drafted AVT - Played 28 of 50 possible games (gave two 3rds to get him)

Drafted Elijah Moore - Bust

Drafted Denzel Mims - Lmao

Drafted Zach Wilson - Should I start?

Drafted Jabari Zuninga - Wtf?

I know that a lot of you guys are not ready to talk about AVT and will probably disagree with me but for a guy who has been a little above average when playing and missed almost half of the games that he was supossed to play that was a lot of draft capital.

Thats a lot of early draft capital and im not even getting into the FAs that he got, we're know on that phase that T0mShanes mentioned that JD is trying hard to get players to cover for his pasts ****ups

AVT has been in the league for 3 seasons. He played 16 games in one and struggled with injuries in the other two, only playing  in 7 games one season and 5 games another season. He will be back heathy this year. Will he stay healthy? I dunno. Players get hurt. You are making is seem as if this guy has been in the league for 10 years and cannot stay on the filed to save his life. I get it, he missed a lot of games. If he keeps getting injured, its a major problem. But the AVT hate is UNREAL. 

JD Drafted :

-AVT
-Echols
-Tippman
-Sauce
-Hall 
-Carter II
-JJ

This is silly. For every whiff, JD hit on someone at some point. He's been 50/50 in the draft and that's just fine. He probably whiffed more in FA than not but he still got some impact players. Lest we forget the UDFA - Huff, Conk, Greg the Leg, Morstead, Q Jefferson, UDFA Quincy Williams. 

The point is, you have to look at the roster as a whole and he put together a strong one. Now he just needs to start winning. 

26 minutes ago, PepPep said:

AVT has been in the league for 3 seasons. He played 16 games in one and struggled with injuries in the other two, only playing  in 7 games one season and 5 games another season. He will be back heathy this year. Will he stay healthy? I dunno. Players get hurt. You are making is seem as if this guy has been in the league for 10 years and cannot stay on the filed to save his life. I get it, he missed a lot of games. If he keeps getting injured, its a major problem. But the AVT hate is UNREAL. 

JD Drafted :

-AVT
-Echols
-Tippman
-Sauce
-Hall 
-Carter II
-JJ

This is silly. For every whiff, JD hit on someone at some point. He's been 50/50 in the draft and that's just fine. He probably whiffed more in FA than not but he still got some impact players. Lest we forget the UDFA - Huff, Conk, Greg the Leg, Morstead, Q Jefferson, UDFA Quincy Williams. 

The point is, you have to look at the roster as a whole and he put together a strong one. Now he just needs to start winning. 

Whether you like it or not, freak injury or not the reality of the situation is that AVT costed the Jets 3 picks and he played in close to half the games he was supposed to and those are the facts.

Echols being on your list of JD hits is wild.

For every Greg the Leg theres a Karee Vedvik, for every Joe Tippmann theres a Ryan Kalil for every JJ theres a Carl Lawson or Jabari Zuniga as I said earlier, when JD misses he misses hard.