What position would you add ONE more free agent?

What position would you add ONE more free agent to?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What Position?

• QB
    • RB
    • WR
    • TE
    • OT
    • iOL
    • DT
    • DE
    • LB
    • CB
    • S
    • None - save the cap for the regular season or next seasonq

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I would sign a vet FA QB like Siemian (who knows our offense) to be number 3 since our rookie QB could be on IR all or most of season and we need someone in case of injury to Rodgers and Taylor. 

If our 3rd string QB is starting, I really don't see how Trevor Siemian would make much of a difference over Travis. Siemian's ceiling is mediocre QB play. Travis could at least move around and create plays. Siemian needs the play to be perfect to succeed. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He's just an example I named him since he knows the offense here. It's hard to find a no 3 QB who doesn't suck. But we need someone who in an emergency can run the offense and who isn't expensive. 

If Travis is ready week 1, are we carrying 4 QB's? I wouldn't think so. He would be our #3 QB.

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If our 3rd string QB is starting, I really don't see how Trevor Siemian would make much of a difference over Travis. Siemian's ceiling is mediocre QB play. Travis could at least move around and create plays. Siemian needs the play to be perfect to succeed. 

The bottom line with Travis is can he play in 2024. It might be optimal for him and the team to spend the season on IR, recover from his injury and behind the scenes learn the offense. All 3 of current Jets QBs on roster minus the UFAs signed have injury concerns. Also you wouldn't at this time sign a more expensive number 3. You'd go cheap unless both Rodgers and Taylor go down. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The CFL is professional football. He played "college" in a professional league. 

a professional league that is no where near the NFL. plus they have different rules.

1. The CFL field is longer and wider

An NFL field is 100 x 53 1/3 yards, with the midfield line slated at the 50-yard line. However, a CFL field is 110 x 65 yards with the midfield line at 55 yards. 

In addition, the end zones differ as well. In the CFL, the end zone is 20 yards deep, twice the length of the end zones in the NFL which are 10 yards. So in total, the CFL field is 150 yards while the NFL is 120. 

2. The CFL allows 12 players on the field

The NFL allows 22 players on the field at a time, with 11 on each side. However, in the CFL, clubs can have 12 players on the field, bringing the total to 24. 

This has created differences in positions as well. The tight end is essentially non-existent in the CFL, as teams elect to have two slot receivers instead. On the defensive side, the CFL uses two halfbacks and a safety, while the NFL has two different safeties. 

3. The CFL has three downs per possession

7. No fair catch on punt returns in the CFL

these are big rule changes from the NFL. especially the 1st 3. and for a CB who has to chase WRs even more so. i think we would rather him play in college than this. gonna take time to get him used to the rule changes.

oh and there are no TE in the CFL.

i rather trust someone else to be CB 4/5

1 hour ago, doitny said:

a professional league that is no where near the NFL. plus they have different rules.

1. The CFL field is longer and wider

An NFL field is 100 x 53 1/3 yards, with the midfield line slated at the 50-yard line. However, a CFL field is 110 x 65 yards with the midfield line at 55 yards. 

In addition, the end zones differ as well. In the CFL, the end zone is 20 yards deep, twice the length of the end zones in the NFL which are 10 yards. So in total, the CFL field is 150 yards while the NFL is 120. 

2. The CFL allows 12 players on the field

The NFL allows 22 players on the field at a time, with 11 on each side. However, in the CFL, clubs can have 12 players on the field, bringing the total to 24. 

This has created differences in positions as well. The tight end is essentially non-existent in the CFL, as teams elect to have two slot receivers instead. On the defensive side, the CFL uses two halfbacks and a safety, while the NFL has two different safeties. 

3. The CFL has three downs per possession

7. No fair catch on punt returns in the CFL

these are big rule changes from the NFL. especially the 1st 3. and for a CB who has to chase WRs even more so. i think we would rather him play in college than this. gonna take time to get him used to the rule changes.

oh and there are no TE in the CFL.

i rather trust someone else to be CB 4/5

Based on what you said, he had to cover more field and endzone than he would normally in the NFL. That's a huge plus. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

He's just an example I named him since he knows the offense here. It's hard to find a no 3 QB who doesn't suck. But we need someone who in an emergency can run the offense and who isn't expensive. 

If both Rodgers and Taylor are out for any length of time, the season's over.  The Jets aren't finding a #3 QB who can save the season.  At that point, it would be better to let Travis play if he's healthy, or if they kept one of the UDFAs on the PS throw him out there and let him hand the ball off.

They need to save whatever cap space they have for emergencies during the season or maybe to sign a camp cut.  With all the QBs drafted, there could even be a backup QB or two who become available, and if the need arises, the Jets could sign one of them.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

If both Rodgers and Taylor are out for any length of time, the season's over.  The Jets aren't finding a #3 QB who can save the season.  At that point, it would be better to let Travis play if he's healthy, or if they kept one of the UDFAs on the PS throw him out there and let him hand the ball off.

They need to save whatever cap space they have for emergencies during the season or maybe to sign a camp cut.  With all the QBs drafted, there could even be a backup QB or two who become available, and if the need arises, the Jets could sign one of them.

If both went out (and it could even happen the same game, we've seen that before) you'd think they would try to trade for or sign someone like Tannehill who's currently a FA. I think he's waiting for that kind of opportunity so he can play and get more money. Siemian would be a temp fill in and imo he's not as terrible as some are saying. There are some players who have starting experience like Rourke (CFL) who just signed with Gi's maybe worth a shot.

• Upvote 1

Safety, we should have addressed both WR and interior oline in the draft, Douglas screwed up.

We are thin and weak at Safety, we will be complaining about this position group big time at some point next year.  Mark MY WERDS!

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Safety, we should have addressed both WR and interior oline in the draft, Douglas screwed up.

We are thin and weak at Safety, we will be complaining about this position group big time at some point next year.  Mark MY WERDS!

Hopefully, you're wrong about complaining about Safety at some point next year.  I'm hoping that Clark bounces back from injury and that both Adams, Davis and he all have great seasons.  If we get anything out of JBC, Key or one of the UDFA safeties it will be gravy

18 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Hopefully, you're wrong about complaining about Safety at some point next year.  I'm hoping that Clark bounces back from injury and that both Adams, Davis and he all have great seasons.  If we get anything out of JBC, Key or one of the UDFA safeties it will be gravy

Hey I hope you are right but Adams is no great shakes, Clark was not super good before the injury and Davis makes some plays but is a bit limited.  Teams that scheme up against our safeties are going to to give this team problems.  And this if all are healthy and injury an we are paper thin, hopefully Bernard - converse and the new guy (mr irrelevant) show something to add to the position.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Also you wouldn't at this time sign a more expensive number 3. You'd go cheap unless both Rodgers and Taylor go down. 

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If both went out (and it could even happen the same game, we've seen that before) you'd think they would try to trade for or sign someone like Tannehill who's currently a FA. 

This is where I'm at too with QB3. Jets will probably see where Travis is at for training camp and bring in a dirt cheap, (relative) no-name QB3 to spell for him if it seems like he's not ready to play emergency qb3. Even siemian may actually be a little too big of a name, but we'll see.

I also voted iOL. The tackle depth finally feels appropriate, but past years have shown this is where we need the help the most. It's nice to dream of a safety or WR but the team should be ok with their current groups in those areas as long as the rest of the team works out as expected. No use having a nicer wr3/4 if Rodgers has no time to throw.

I do think it's possible they're keeping tabs on the safety market in case prices drop, but OL is the only spot to me where they kinda need to have the players in ahead of time to grow chemistry. 

• Upvote 1

For the life of me, I don't understand why JD didn't draft an IOL.  Christian Mahagony was a good prospect, and Ulbrich coached him at the Sr. Bowl and had good things to say about him.  He may not be ready to play this season, so maybe that's why JD didn't take him, but there had to be someone else that was worth using a 4th or 5th round pick on.  Heck Mahogany fell to the 6th round.  JD could have had him dirt cheap.Tanor Bortolini and Mason McCormick both went in the 4th round after the Jets first pick at #111 which he just gave away to GB for nothing.  Hunter Nourzad and Jacob Monk (centers) both went in the 5th round after the picks the Jets had acquired in trades, but then subsequently traded away  Trevor Keegan, an OG from Michigan, went towards the end of the 5th round in the compensatory picks.  The 5th round compensatory picks is where the Jets drafted Travis, Davis, and Stiggers.  A SS prospect, Kitan Oladapo, was taken with the 2nd compensatory pick, and before any of the Jets picks. In the 6th round, there were Mahogany, Sataoa Laumea (OG), Jarrett Kingston (OG), Beaux Limmer (C), and Elijah Klein (OG) available.

• Upvote 1

It's funny to me how many of you wanted to draft the tight end in the first round. but the O line interior is the #1 position that we could use another player.

Imagine if the Jets didn't draft Fashanu in the first round.  That would be a position of great need, and even if they drafted one in the 3rd round, it would have been on a developmental player that you would not want to put in at left tackle if Tyron got hurt.

I agree on bringing in a IOL for sure, but if I only had one position I feel is the most need, it would be at defensive tackle.

I know most of you disagree, and that's okay, but I feel that until Kinlaw and the other guy we brought in play some games, I feel that we took a step back with the depth at that position.  And it's a vital position on the defensive line.

Defensive tackle #1

IOL  #2

Safety #3

Another wide receiver #4

Linebacker #5

16 hours ago, JKlecko said:

For the life of me, I don't understand why JD didn't draft an IOL.

Imo, it’s because he didn’t want to guarantee the last roster spot to a late pick at a position where the player may be called into action. That’s my preference, too. The draft introduced 30 new rookie IOL into the league, so a number of veteran IOL will become available thru camp cuts. One of those guys will be better backup insurance on the line than a late, raw rookie. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Imo, it’s because he didn’t want to guarantee the last roster spot to a late pick at a position where the player may be called into action. That’s my preference, too. The draft introduced 30 new rookie IOL into the league, so a number of veteran IOL will become available thru camp cuts. One of those guys will be better backup insurance on the line than a late, raw rookie. 

For this season, I agree that a veteran would be better, but over the long term, adding a young OL with upside would be better, particularly a guy like Mahogany that is a "mauler" and "brawler".  He would add more "nasty" to the Jets' OL.

4 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

For this season, I agree that a veteran would be better, but over the long term, adding a young OL with upside would be better, particularly a guy like Mahogany that is a "mauler" and "brawler".  He would add more "nasty" to the Jets' OL.

I imagine the young guys will be added next year as Smith and Moses move on. 

16 hours ago, Alka said:

It's funny to me how many of you wanted to draft the tight end in the first round. but the O line interior is the #1 position that we could use another player.

Imagine if the Jets didn't draft Fashanu in the first round.  That would be a position of great need, and even if they drafted one in the 3rd round, it would have been on a developmental player that you would not want to put in at left tackle if Tyron got hurt.

I agree on bringing in a IOL for sure, but if I only had one position I feel is the most need, it would be at defensive tackle.

I know most of you disagree, and that's okay, but I feel that until Kinlaw and the other guy we brought in play some games, I feel that we took a step back with the depth at that position.  And it's a vital position on the defensive line.

Defensive tackle #1

IOL  #2

Safety #3

Another wide receiver #4

Linebacker #5

You started off your post by saying that " the O line interior is the #1 positions that we could use another player."  How then does that equate to DT being the position with the most need?  You can't have it both ways.  We know that the depth on the IOL is questionable and that Carter has not done a good job developing talent or getting the OL to play well together.  Further, we know that if Rodgers goes down with a serious injury again, that the season is over.

Conversely, we know that Whitecotton has done a great job with developing players and getting the DL playing at a high level.  He has been successful in getting almost every player the Jets have put at NT beside Q to play at a higher level than they did elsewhere or previously in their career.  We also know that if the Jets have more leads in games, especially in the 4th qtr. of games that opponents will be forced to pass more and abandon the run.  We also know that with the Jets having a stronger OL, particularly in run blocking, and with Breece and the other RBs, that the Jets should be able to run the ball and sustain long scoring drives.  Kinlaw seems to be an ascending player.  Therefore, I think the need at DT might be overstated and less important than it would have been otherwise.  I'd rather have Al Woods back if he's healthy, but I don't know if he's healthy, and if so, if he has already signed with another team.

Therefore, I disagree the DL question is more important than the IOL question.

If the rumors are accurate, JD would have traded up and taken Odunze rather than Fashanu.  Then, not only would the Jets not have Fashanu as depth or as their future LT, but also either wouldn't have Corley, or the 3rd round OT, or several other players they added (including Allen), or would be short an early pick or two next year.  That's why I think that JD most likely still has to go regardless of how this season plays out.  I think some of the moves he has made have been luck because what he wanted to do didn't work out.  I can't imagine going into this season with Mitchell and Warren and maybe a 3rd round OT as depth.  He just doesn't think through the ramifications and consequences of some of his actions.  He falls in love with a player, just like Tanny, and then has to have him.

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I imagine the young guys will be added next year as Smith and Moses move on. 

I was referring to the IOL depth, not OT, but yes, JD will have to hope that next year's draft will again be strong at OT and that one will fall to the Jets, or if the Jets have a great season this year, he will have to burn a lot of future draft capital in order to trade up and draft their future RT.

55 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

If the rumors are accurate, JD would have traded up and taken Odunze rather than Fashanu.  Then, not only would the Jets not have Fashanu as depth or as their future LT, but also either wouldn't have Corley, or the 3rd round OT, or several other players they added (including Allen), or would be short an early pick or two next year.  That's why I think that JD most likely still has to go regardless of how this season plays out.  I think some of the moves he has made have been luck because what he wanted to do didn't work out.  I can't imagine going into this season with Mitchell and Warren and maybe a 3rd round OT as depth.  He just doesn't think through the ramifications and consequences of some of his actions.  He falls in love with a player, just like Tanny, and then has to have him.

JD does some things great, and others he falls short, as you have indicated.  The draft with Sauce and others were A+, and the trade of Jamal Adams was an A+.  He doesn't fill in needs properly, like not having a legitimate QB backup for last year.

I actually started off feeling that the Jets #1 need was at DL, but I change my feelings, and agree that the IOL is the #1 need.  I don't think Max Mitchell should even make the team, because there are other free agents right now that I would prefer to Max, one being Nate Herbig, who I loved on the Jets.

I have believed for months now that Fashanu should be the pick at #10, and that didn't change after we got Tyron Smith and Moses.  Odunze would have been great, but then our offensive line would be in great jeopardy for this upcoming season.  Optimally, I would have liked to trade down and recoup our 2nd round pick, but I think Fashanu will be a Jet for the next decade, so I'm not upset.

I agree that JD should be gone after this season, unless the Jets somehow make it to the Superbowl.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Alka said:

JD does some things great, and others he falls short, as you have indicated.  The draft with Sauce and others were A+, and the trade of Jamal Adams was an A+.  He doesn't fill in needs properly, like not having a legitimate QB backup for last year.

I actually started off feeling that the Jets #1 need was at DL, but I change my feelings, and agree that the IOL is the #1 need.  I don't think Max Mitchell should even make the team, because there are other free agents right now that I would prefer to Max, one being Nate Herbig, who I loved on the Jets.

I have believed for months now that Fashanu should be the pick at #10, and that didn't change after we got Tyron Smith and Moses.  Odunze would have been great, but then our offensive line would be in great jeopardy for this upcoming season.  Optimally, I would have liked to trade down and recoup our 2nd round pick, but I think Fashanu will be a Jet for the next decade, so I'm not upset.

I agree that JD should be gone after this season, unless the Jets somehow make it to the Superbowl.  

Yes, it's puzzling how JD can be so good at times, and so bad at others.  Sometimes, it's like he doesn't even consider need, especially at an important position.  He just seems to think that any old schlub will work.  The 2022 draft was an all-time great draft, but with two top ten draft picks in that draft and the extra draft picks he had, it should have been.  He was lucky that JJ and Breece both fell, and that Tennessee and the Giants were willing to trade down.  He was aggressive though, and I loved it.

Unless Max Mitchell looks like a totally different (better) player in TC, I totally agree tha he should not make the team. I agree that Nate Herbig should be brought back if he becomes available, or if the Jets can get him for a low-round draft pick.

Yes, Fashanu was the right choice at #10.  Trading up for any player other than Alt, shouldn't even have been a consideration.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JKlecko said:

. I agree that Nate Herbig should be brought back if he becomes available, or if the Jets can get him for a low-round draft pick.

He was released by the Steelers.  He is a free agent right now.  The Jets should pounce on him!!!