ZACH WILSON isn’t on the Jets anymore discussion (merged)

54 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So you're saying it's impossible for Zach to improve and have an NFL career. 

That's exactly what he's saying and has said about 400 times in the past 3 years. Where have you been? 😅

On 7/6/2024 at 9:19 AM, Matt39 said:

Yeah I’m not going to be swayed with obsession stuff when he was the second overall pick and tanked the franchise for 3 years, while having the longest leash for a player who couldn’t play in league history. Darnold who was a bust in his own right, is 50x the player Wilson is. 

Classic projection by that guy.  The real obsession is people still thinking Zach can be good

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look hatred is like a fine wine. So go for it! It's just not my thing. 

I don't hate Zach (definitely dislike him but don't hate him) as much as I hated the pick and also hate the gaslighting done by those who defended him here the last 3+ years.  Some here want us to believe Zach was a secretly good QB who the Jets ruined, and that argument simply doesn't work for him.  The Darnold defenders certainly could use that defense.  But even he is on his 3rd team, who will be itching to get their rookie under center the moment he gets his usual case of "the fumbles".  And the sad thing is Darnold was superior to Zach Wilson.  Darnold at least is still getting chances to start.  Zach is the QB3 on a weak depth chart.  It isn't close.

They also try to argue he was a no-brainer elite prospect and pick at 2 overall and, again, that doesn't work for me.  This was a loaded draft class and the only "plus" skill Zach demonstrated was arm strength, which is among the least important QB traits.  It was a high risk pick when Douglas could have taken a bevy of other super talented players at 2 OR traded down for a good package of picks.  Saying he was the "consensus 2" is also 1) pretty unprovable, and 2) irrelevant.  GM's are paid to have foresight and Douglas blew that pick badly.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't hate Zach (definitely dislike him but don't hate him) as much as I hated the pick and also hate the gaslighting done by those who defended him here the last 3+ years.  Some here want us to believe Zach was a secretly good QB who the Jets ruined, and that argument simply doesn't work for him.  The Darnold defenders certainly could use that defense.  But even he is on his 3rd team, who will be itching to get their rookie under center the moment he gets his usual case of "the fumbles".  And the sad thing is Darnold was superior to Zach Wilson.  Darnold at least is still getting chances to start.  Zach is the QB3 on a weak depth chart.  It isn't close.

They also try to argue he was a no-brainer elite prospect and pick at 2 overall and, again, that doesn't work for me.  This was a loaded draft class and the only "plus" skill Zach demonstrated was arm strength, which is among the least important QB traits.  It was a high risk pick when Douglas could have taken a bevy of other super talented players at 2 OR traded down for a good package of picks.  Saying he was the "consensus 2" is also 1) pretty unprovable, and 2) irrelevant.  GM's are paid to have foresight and Douglas blew that pick badly.

I think there were probably some personality traits that were similar between Darnold and Wilson, but Darnold seems to be able to navigate a locker room, which Wilson couldn’t or had no interest (or didn’t realize  it was part of the job) in doing. This getting so overlooked by Douglas will always make me think this was orchestrated by Woody. 

• Upvote 1

It wasn't just the Jets 4 of the top 5 QBs drafted in 2021 have been unsuccessful https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/inside-the-demise-of-the-2021-nfl-draft-qb-class-how-four-of-five-first-rounders-failed-with-original-teams/#. I blame it mostly but not all on Zach. He got from the Jets what every player wants a chance to play. Looking back they should have kept Flacco started him that season until or if Zach was ready to play. As for his future I think he has one but not sure. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Ok but Fields was a # 11 pick who is going to get legitimate chances to shine with the Steelers and also had a bunch of fun moments even in Chicago.

Zach Wilson was a # 2 overall who was almost NEVER fun to watch as a Jet and is now a QB3/QB4.

It’s an enormous difference in both levels of “failure” and draft capital.  

I yield the rest of my time on this topic to @JustInFudge

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Look the 49ers gave up a lot more assets to trade up for Trey Lance and he was soundly beat out by Mr. Irrelevant. So drafting esp QBs isn't an exact science to say the least. Btw Lance who hasn't played much not even close to Zach according to reporting has improved and could be an option in the future to start for the Cowboys. So I'm not going to arbitrarily count out Zach and say he has no future that's something you don't know. You can predict it but no one can say it's 100%. Esp after his last start which was a real good game. And the fact that Payton thinks he has a chance to be an NFL QB. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, freestater said:

I don't buy the "Darnold was worse because of the cost" argument. You'd have to factor I what we gave up by not trading the 2nd overall pick. That could have been a monster haul.

We have no idea what we gave up with Wilson because it never happened. You can hypothesize but we know exactly what we gave up when we traded up for Darnold. 

16 minutes ago, freestater said:

I don't buy the "Darnold was worse because of the cost" argument. You'd have to factor I what we gave up by not trading the 2nd overall pick. That could have been a monster haul.

The Jets were locked into Wilson from the get-go. They were never trading that pick. It’s why any sort of speculation of what his actual worth was is impossible from decipher because the draft order once settled was always Lawrence then Wilson. 

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ok but Fields was a # 11 pick who is going to get legitimate chances to shine with the Steelers and also had a bunch of fun moments even in Chicago.

Zach Wilson was a # 2 overall who was almost NEVER fun to watch as a Jet and is now a QB3/QB4.

It’s an enormous difference in both levels of “failure” and draft capital.  

I yield the rest of my time on this topic to @JustInFudge

Have you pointed out he's in the NFL record books or should I start there? 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

It wasn't just the Jets 4 of the top 5 QBs drafted in 2021 have been unsuccessful https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/inside-the-demise-of-the-2021-nfl-draft-qb-class-how-four-of-five-first-rounders-failed-with-original-teams/#. I blame it mostly but not all on Zach. He got from the Jets what every player wants a chance to play. Looking back they should have kept Flacco started him that season until or if Zach was ready to play. As for his future I think he has one but not sure. 

Yes I agree overall it was a terrible quarterback draft class outside of Trevor Lawrence.  And yes it’s not personally Zach Wilson’s fault he was a 5-7th round talent who got overhyped by the media into people believing he’s a generational talent

Ofcourse the extra $30-35 million he gets thanks to his draft position ain’t too bad 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, bicketybam said:

We have no idea what we gave up with Wilson because it never happened. You can hypothesize but we know exactly what we gave up when we traded up for Darnold. 

And that’s relevant how? Darnold is a significantly better player than Zach by every metric who played with horrible rosters here

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Look the 49ers gave up a lot more assets to trade up for Trey Lance and he was soundly beat out by Mr. Irrelevant. 

OK but the 49ers:  1) Didn't let Trey Lance ruin 3 seasons of football for their franchise; 2) traded him before his value tanked completely, and 3) Had a backup plan.  That's why no one rips on the 49ers for the move up for Lance.

The Jets had none of that.  They kept the depth chart intentionally weak so the golden boy could be handed the QB1 job undeservedly in years 1 & 2 and then the QB2 job in year 3. 

And btw you say Lance still has a shot in this league.  I concur, because he actually does have some useful plus abilities in the athleticism department.  Zach Wilson does not. 

Zach has neither the ability, the processing speed, nor has he demonstrated any grittiness to suggest he's willing to grind through some tough years in this league and work his way into an opportunity.  

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

And that’s relevant how? Darnold is a significantly better player than Zach by every metric who played with horrible rosters here

I never said he wasn't. Now go dust off that Darnold jersey.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK but the 49ers:  1) Didn't let Trey Lance ruin 3 seasons of football for their franchise; 2) traded him before his value tanked completely, and 3) Had a backup plan.  That's why no one rips on the 49ers for the move up for Lance.

The Jets had none of that.  They kept the depth chart intentionally weak so the golden boy could be handed the QB1 job undeservedly in years 1 & 2 and then the QB2 job in year 3. 

And btw you say Lance still has a shot in this league.  I concur, because he actually does have some useful plus abilities in the athleticism department.  Zach Wilson does not. 

Zach has neither the ability, the processing speed, nor has he demonstrated any grittiness to suggest he's willing to grind through some tough years in this league and work his way into an opportunity.  

The back up plan was the last guy in the draft? Come on, my guy. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I bought a Tyrod Taylor jersey for this season because he will be starting most of our games 

What that set you back? Like $30 for each of the three games he will stay healthy?

• Haha 1