ZACH WILSON isn’t on the Jets anymore discussion (merged)

Look Lance has only 4 starts all with SF and Zach has 33. So Lance hasn't really had the regular season on the field opportunity that Zach has had. Both teams he's played for probably don't think he's ready to start but it's his 4th season like Zach in the NFL. 
You could say Lance should benefit from the redshirt years.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Except there's no tangible evidence that sitting and learning actually helps young QBs (nor is there any tangible evidence that playing right away destroys a young QB, either).  If you suck, you suck.  Just like Zach Wilson would have sucked even if he'd have sat a full season and a half here or anywhere else.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Except there's no tangible evidence that sitting and learning actually helps young QBs (nor is there any tangible evidence that playing right away destroys a young QB, either).  If you suck, you suck.  Just like Zach Wilson would have sucked even if he'd have sat a full season and a half here or anywhere else.

But how can you knoooooowwwwwww

• Haha 3

I think just my opinion based on observation of most rookie QBs that sitting down short term benefits the players development. Plus teams imo again shouldn't be willing to take Ls and losing years just to develop a franchise QB when you can get a good vet to start until the rookie is ready. The Jets should have kept Flacco and started him in 2021. There are exceptions like Stroud. It used to be more the norm but over past decade more and more rookies are starting from day one. A player like Lance in year 4 should be ready to start by now. Same goes for Zach. Btw I recall years back Parcells had a rule of thumb on drafting college QBs.

• Be a three-year starter
  • Be a senior in college
  • Graduate from college
  • Start 30 games
  • Win 23 games

Lance had 17, Zach 28, Nix 61. 

On 9/9/2024 at 10:58 PM, Plen T said:

Over under Zach Wilson starting by week 8 like I said?

On 9/10/2024 at 12:01 AM, jgb said:

brother anyone GIF

I’ll take the over. Stakes?

On 9/10/2024 at 12:14 AM, Rangers9 said:

Under. Not sure Zach will even be on team. I'd expect Nix to be better in upcoming games and Payton to stay with him. 

On 9/10/2024 at 12:27 AM, Plen T said:

That's over mate

fair play

Hold up. “Over” means he WON’T start before week 8. “Under” means he will start by week 8. Seems we have a definitional issue here lol.

IMO Zach is a bargaining chip for Payton and the reason for all of the positive talk by him and their GM. Be surprised if he hits the field for Denver. He's got two QBs ahead of him. Payton is committed to Nix and good chance if he struggles again they'll simplify their offense like Jets did for Mark when they color coded it. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

IMO Zach is a bargaining chip for Payton and the reason for all of the positive talk by him and their GM. Be surprised if he hits the field for Denver. He's got two QBs ahead of him. Payton is committed to Nix and good chance if he struggles again they'll simplify their offense like Jets did for Mark when they color coded it. 

If Zach is a chip he’s the crumbs that get stuck in the corner of the bag.

26899EAB-C88E-41DE-9A80-AD4A5D5698E2.gif.2e3aadb666659104bd6e0a67ca5dc902.gif

• Haha 4

Maybe by the time he’s 33 he’ll be ready?
Point taken .. I was thinking more like 27 if the planets align for him and he can be salvaged. It's a huge IF at this point. He's likely a career backup... His style of play needs to become much less frenetic and more steady and consistent. If that doesn't happen .. he may not even be a backup.

The incoming QBs next year are not very good from what I've been told.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Point taken .. I was thinking more like 27 if the planets align for him and he can be salvaged. It's a huge IF at this point. He's likely a career backup... His style of play needs to become much less frenetic and more steady and consistent. If that doesn't happen .. he may not even be a backup.

The incoming QBs next year are not very good from what I've been told.

Shadeur Sanders might going first overall so there ya go

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The 3rd string QB for Miami is Boyle and Mike White on Bills PS. So I don't see much interest by them in Zach. Thompson beat out White in preseason he started games in 2022 including one against us he played ok and Fins won 11-9, Flacco was Jets QB. 

Thompson looked as bad or worse than Zach last night.  The guy can’t even handle a snap properly.  Him “beating out” White was probably a locker room politics thing or the GM personally liked him.  McDaniels looked absolutely livid on the sidelines yesterday and it wasn’t only because he lost Tua and the game he now has Skylar Thompson and Tim Boyle potentially as his Quarterbacks for 15 games

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Thompson looked as bad or worse than Zach last night.  The guy can’t even handle a snap properly.  Him “beating out” White was probably a locker room politics thing or the GM personally liked him.  McDaniels looked absolutely livid on the sidelines yesterday and it wasn’t only because he lost Tua and the game he now has Skylar Thompson and Tim Boyle potentially as his Quarterbacks for 15 games

Teams lean towards the guys they drafted even if it isn't the right call with the hopes that they end up looking smart - they drafted Thompson in the 7th round in '22.  Probably some sunken cost logic there too as they have "invested" in his development or whatever.  Zach Wilson stuff just on a much smaller scale.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Teams lean towards the guys they drafted even if it isn't the right call with the hopes that they end up looking smart - they drafted Thompson in the 7th round in '22.  Probably some sunken cost logic there too as they have "invested" in his development or whatever.  Zach Wilson stuff just on a much smaller scale.

I think finances played into it as well. MW had a decent salary 

• Upvote 1

On 9/5/2024 at 7:18 PM, Dunnie said:

it all depends on what you do with that time.  Do you implement a remedial program to correct the QB's difficiencies. Or does he just sit around doing nothing ? Payton has stated that he intends to work with Zach to bring him up to speed.

Shannahan put nothing in to Trey Lance outside of ordinary team practices. He had made his assessment of Trey Lance and decided he is not worth the the time. NFL Head Coaches have come to expect College Draft Picks to start Week 1 and produce winning records. Unfortunately not every College QB is a Joe Burrow, Patrick Mahomes or Brock Purdy. Some of those rocks need some polishing.

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The Fins HC said today the team is going to sign a QB. My guess is they sign MW off of the Bills PS to their active roster. But Boyle could be activated and they sign a cheaper entity to PS. 

They will call Tom Brady — who will laugh — then they will call Tannehill only to learn that he’s already sleeping in a camper parked a mile down the road from their practice facility.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/5/2024 at 8:21 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean I don't think there's a catch all. Some qbs would benefit from sitting and some don't.

Geno would have benefited from sitting. He was super immature.

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I mean I don't think there's a catch all. Some qbs would benefit from sitting and some don't.

In some rare types of car crashes, it is safer to not be wearing a seatbelt. The catch is predicting in advance when one of those rare types of accidents is imminent to make unbuckling the smart move.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Geno sat plenty with the Giants and Chargers.  He still ended up getting let go by those franchises all the same.

If waiting 9 years for a QB to become an average-ish starter in the NFL is somehow the strong evidence the other side has to prove that sitting is helpful for QBs to unlock their potential, I’m good with saying it probably isn’t a huge factor.  You don’t learn how to play the game at NFL speed by sitting and watching tape. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Geno sat plenty with the Giants and Chargers.  He still ended up getting let go by those franchises all the same.

If waiting 9 years for a QB to become an average-ish starter in the NFL is somehow the strong evidence the other side has to prove that sitting is helpful for QBs to unlock their potential, I’m good with saying it probably isn’t a huge factor.  You don’t learn how to play the game at NFL speed by sitting and watching tape. 

Geno with the Jets was never as bad as ZW

Geno never looked completely overwhelmed trying to navigate an NFL pocket or to hit basic throws or make basic reads the way ZW did

He also never threw his teammates under the bus or quit on the team, actually refusing to play (before the news goes public and then he suddenly has a change of heart and is willing to suit up 🙃)

• Upvote 1